PDA

View Full Version : Offset red dots vs offset irons.. call me crazy

RichardLips
07-29-21, 11:15
Call me crazy or old school.. whatever! But I prefer a good set of offset iron sights over a red dot. Not just because of price. But I think they have more purpose as a back up option. I know they're not near as fast as a red dot, especially if they're folded down. My reason of thinking this came to me when I was stationed up in Washington state. I had a 1-6x lpvo as my primary optic and an offset red dot as my secondary. Well if you've ever been to the Pacific northwest you know it rains 360 days out of the year, so you might as well learn to live with it. It's that fine, light, mist type of rain too. It easily gets blown around by the wind. My buddy and I were out at some private land shooting no further than 100 yards. I couldn't see anything through either of my optics. The wind and the rain were causing both optics to be so obstructed they were pretty much useless. We basically put those rifles away and resorted to shooting rifles with iron sights that day.
Anyways.. just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else thought any different. It's always nice to hear other opinions and see if I'm missing out on any good info. Have a great day everyone!

dan1612
07-29-21, 16:20
I say both. With optics on QD mount or irons on the opposite side for the best of both worlds.

Red*Lion
07-29-21, 17:18
You could have all 3 (LPVO, red dot and irons). I have DD iron sights set on 45 degree mounts on my 20" AR.308. Primary optic is a Nikon Black FX 1000 FFP 6-24x50 scope.

ggammell
07-29-21, 18:00
I say both. With optics on QD mount or irons on the opposite side for the best of both worlds.

Off set BUIS on on both sides of the gun might be one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard. BUIS on the support side of the rifle is absurd, not the best of both worlds.

dan1612
07-29-21, 18:04
Off set BUIS on on both sides of the gun might be one of the stupidest things I’ve ever heard. BUIS on the support side of the rifle is absurd, not the best of both worlds.

Offset BUIS, good to go. If you want to run an offset red dot as well, in an environment like OP described, and it’s not QD, the only option is moving either dot or irons to the other side. Support side is Usable, but NOT ideal. Otherwise, once the dot is occluded, you won’t be able to see irons through it, and if not QD, can’t be easily removed. Of course, if the offset dot has a closed emitter, I don’t see why the glass couldn’t just be wiped.
Having said that, I’d run both on strong hand side, but I live in FL. In fact, I’m waiting for the micro mount I want to be back in stock to do just that.
Maybe that makes better sense.

RichardLips
07-29-21, 20:55
Waiting on the Arisaka 45/35?

dan1612
07-29-21, 21:09
Waiting on the Arisaka 45/35?

T-Rex

Defaultmp3
07-29-21, 21:33
Why not just mount the back-up RDS on the scope mount rather than the rail? A 1200 RDS allows for use with either shoulder and under NODs, and does not interfere with any offset BUIS. Offsetting the RDS off the main optics is also an option that some folks prefer.

RichardLips
07-31-21, 15:58
Why not just mount the back-up RDS on the scope mount rather than the rail? A 1200 RDS allows for use with either shoulder and under NODs, and does not interfere with any offset BUIS. Offsetting the RDS off the main optics is also an option that some folks prefer.

That's a good option as well. Only con I can think of is the "height over bore" distance. But I'm sure if you zero'd the red dot for 50 yards or so for CQB type of stuff it would work well. Companies like Reptilia make a top scope cap for a T1/T2 that puts the RDS at a 45 degree angle I believe. Looks pretty cool and seems to work well.

Pikey
08-24-21, 08:00
Call me crazy or old school.. whatever! But I prefer a good set of offset iron sights over a red dot. Not just because of price. But I think they have more purpose as a back up option. I know they're not near as fast as a red dot, especially if they're folded down. My reason of thinking this came to me when I was stationed up in Washington state. I had a 1-6x lpvo as my primary optic and an offset red dot as my secondary. Well if you've ever been to the Pacific northwest you know it rains 360 days out of the year, so you might as well learn to live with it. It's that fine, light, mist type of rain too. It easily gets blown around by the wind. My buddy and I were out at some private land shooting no further than 100 yards. I couldn't see anything through either of my optics. The wind and the rain were causing both optics to be so obstructed they were pretty much useless. We basically put those rifles away and resorted to shooting rifles with iron sights that day.
Anyways.. just wanted to share my experience and see if anyone else thought any different. It's always nice to hear other opinions and see if I'm missing out on any good info. Have a great day everyone!

In that situation quick detach optic mounts make more sense. With a fixed front sight and folding rear sights just pop the optic off and stow it. Then you can use a normal check weld without rolling the rifle ect. It’s not like that weather condition would be an unforeseen emergency.

More and more I’m liking red dots less and less. Rds are fast up close but not everything is 10 yards away, also with a little distance and certain lighting conditions rds actually slow me down compared to something with magnification. I’m also noticeably more accurate with iron sights than rds.

Disciple
08-24-21, 15:58
I’m also noticeably more accurate with iron sights than rds.

That seems surprising. Do you know why? Is the red dot brightness turned down so that it does not "bloom?"

ggammell
08-24-21, 16:01
That seems surprising. Do you know why? Is the red dot brightness turned down so that it does not "bloom?"

It’s not uncommon. I believe it’s more of a subconscious effect of concentrating a little more. I’d be willing to be you’re just a tad slower shot to shot.

Pikey
08-24-21, 16:52

I have good vision but lights and dots look more like starburst to me. A front sight looks like a solid square post to me. So yes it may very well be subconscious.

jsbhike
08-24-21, 18:34
I have good vision but lights and dots look more like starburst to me. A front sight looks like a solid square post to me. So yes it may very well be subconscious.

Sounds like astigmatism based on the dot description.

czgunner
08-24-21, 18:44
I just left WA (YAY!) and I will say that the rear sight peep will get obstructed with rain water too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Mysteryman
08-24-21, 21:39
That's a good option as well. Only con I can think of is the "height over bore" distance. But I'm sure if you zero'd the red dot for 50 yards or so for CQB type of stuff it would work well. Companies like Reptilia make a top scope cap for a T1/T2 that puts the RDS at a 45 degree angle I believe. Looks pretty cool and seems to work well.

Have you tried using an offset sight set from your support side while lying rollover prone? It doesn't work. Try your offsets from your support side offhand, it doesn't work. Offsets are very specialized, in that they only work from your dominant side offhand or kneeling. Prone may or may not work depending on your prone position. Sure, mechanical offset with a 12:00 mounted dot is shit, but it works in all the same positions your primary optic does. As mentioned, it also works well with NOD's (should you have those).

I just left WA (YAY!) and I will say that the rear sight peep will get obstructed with rain water too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

A quick flick or wipe of the irons clears the water. That doesn't work so well with optics.

Pikey
08-25-21, 05:56
[QUOTE=Mysteryman;2972569]Have you tried using an offset sight set from your support side while lying rollover prone? It doesn't work. Try your offsets from your support side offhand, it doesn't work. Offsets are very specialized, in that they only work from your dominant side offhand or kneeling. Prone may or may not work depending on your prone position. Sure, mechanical offset with a 12:00 mounted dot is shit, but it works in all the same positions your primary optic does. As mentioned, it also works well with NOD's (should you have those).

That’s why I like an Acog with a rmr, definitely not perfect but it works. Also you can always roll the rifle to the left and pickup the dot with your left eye. Of course you can do the same thing with a lpvo.

Mysteryman
08-28-21, 14:44
[QUOTE=Mysteryman;2972569]Have you tried using an offset sight set from your support side while lying rollover prone? It doesn't work. Try your offsets from your support side offhand, it doesn't work. Offsets are very specialized, in that they only work from your dominant side offhand or kneeling. Prone may or may not work depending on your prone position. Sure, mechanical offset with a 12:00 mounted dot is shit, but it works in all the same positions your primary optic does. As mentioned, it also works well with NOD's (should you have those).

That’s why I like an Acog with a rmr, definitely not perfect but it works. Also you can always roll the rifle to the left and pickup the dot with your left eye. Of course you can do the same thing with a lpvo.

Right. There is no perfect solution unfortunately. The downside to an LPVO are three fold. Price, weight, durability. I love LPVO's but I haven't found my ACOG's wanting for the role I have them dedicated for.