PDA

View Full Version : Mid-length ejection angle

Wow
07-31-21, 15:33
I was wondering for those of you who have 16" 5.56 Ar15 with midlength gas systems, at what angle does your ar eject? I have one at 3 o'clock and one at 4 o'clock. I now wish I'd gone with carbine length gas just for the increased reliability.

At what o'clock does your middy eject? I am feeling underpowered at 4.

Clint
07-31-21, 15:58
It sounds like your rifles are running perfectly.

4 o'clock ejection alone does not mean the upper is undergassed or unreliable.

vicious_cb
07-31-21, 16:12
I was wondering for those of you who have 16" 5.56 Ar15 with midlength gas systems, at what angle does your ar eject? I have one at 3 o'clock and one at 4 o'clock. I now wish I'd gone with carbine length gas just for the increased reliability.

At what o'clock does your middy eject? I am feeling underpowered at 4.

Ejection pattern is something you shouldnt care about unless you are having a problem in the first place.

AndyLate
07-31-21, 16:14
Its been said many a time here - ejection angle is not an indicator of anything useful.

If your guns are reliable, who cares if they eject at 4 o'clock or 3?

Andy

I was typing while Vicious posted.

titsonritz
07-31-21, 16:15
100% dependant on ammo being used, M855 spits out of my 14.5" & 16" mids at about 3:30-4:00, PMC Bronze dribble out at about 5-5:30 o'clock but still locks back on the last round.

4 o'clock is perfect IMO.

Colt Carson
07-31-21, 20:28
I have a 16” carbine-length gas AR15, and wanted to add a mid-length gun. The carbine-length has been 100% reliable. The new 16” mid-length is short-stroking with top quality .223 69 grain ammunition. Sometimes it won’t lock back on last round, sometimes it won’t grab next round and fails to feed. It ejects at 4 o’clock or so. I haven’t done much troubleshooting, as I was kind of disgusted with it. I realize mine is an uncommon case, but these mid-lengths don’t look so attractive now. I have tried several different magazines and ammunition (.223).

georgeib
07-31-21, 20:32
I have a 16” carbine-length gas AR15, and wanted to add a mid-length gun. The carbine-length has been 100% reliable. The new 16” mid-length is short-stroking with top quality .223 69 grain ammunition. Sometimes it won’t lock back on last round, sometimes it won’t grab next round and fails to feed. It ejects at 4 o’clock or so. I haven’t done much troubleshooting, as I was kind of disgusted with it. I realize mine is an uncommon case, but these mid-lengths don’t look so attractive now. I have tried several different magazines and ammunition (.223).You likely have a gas leak. Either the gas block is misaligned or the gas key is loose. There are other possibilities, but that's where I'd start.

What brand of mid-length is it?

Swstock
07-31-21, 20:41
You likely have a gas leak. Either the gas block is misaligned or the gas key is loose. There are other possibilities, but that's where I'd start.

This.

Colt Carson
07-31-21, 21:04
You likely have a gas leak. Either the gas block is misaligned or the gas key is loose. There are other possibilities, but that's where I'd start.

Both guns I mentioned are Smith & Wesson. The mid is a VTAC II, and the other one is the Magpul model (not that it matters). Thanks for the advice, I will look at what you mentioned next. I did check the buffers, both guns have carbine (lightest) buffers. I always clean and lube a new gun before I ever shoot it, so it was well lubed.

georgeib
07-31-21, 21:08
Both guns I mentioned are Smith & Wesson. The mid is a VTAC II, and the other one is the Magpul model (not that it matters). Thanks for the advice, I will look at what you mentioned next. I did check the buffers, both guns have carbine (lightest) buffers. I always clean and lube a new gun before I ever shoot it, so it was well lubed.Please let us know what you come up with.

Colt Carson
07-31-21, 21:13
Please let us know what you come up with.

I sure will. I’m going to inspect the rifle in the next week, but I will probably wait until this heat lets up before I shoot it again.

AndyLate
07-31-21, 21:56
Honestly, Smith and Wesson stands by their products and they will take care of you.

Problem gun is a problem gun, does not really what gas system it has.

Andy

Colt Carson
07-31-21, 22:40
Honestly, Smith and Wesson stands by their products and they will take care of you.

Problem gun is a problem gun, does not really what gas system it has.

Andy

*sorry, not trying to hi-jack*
Yes, and my LGS where purchased would handle the shipping chores. I just needed a pause. I have never had a problem with a firearm that required sending it back to the manufacturer in my life. This past year I had to send two other firearms back, one of which was a Colt Gold Cup Trophy with a cracked frame. Colt’s customer service (by the way) was great, and they replaced the two year old gun within a couple weeks.

AndyLate
07-31-21, 23:03
*sorry, not trying to hi-jack*
Yes, and my LGS where purchased would handle the shipping chores. I just needed a pause. I have never had a problem with a firearm that required sending it back to the manufacturer in my life. This past year I had to send two other firearms back, one of which was a Colt Gold Cup Trophy with a cracked frame. Colt’s customer service (by the way) was great, and they replaced the two year old gun within a couple weeks.

I honestly understand needing a pause, man.

Andy

Wow
08-01-21, 00:37
My guns only have ~200 rounds through them each. How many do I need to have before it is fully broken in or opened up? How long does it take for the gas port to expand to where it is done being broken in?

vicious_cb
08-01-21, 02:18
My guns only have ~200 rounds through them each. How many do I need to have before it is fully broken in or opened up? How long does it take for the gas port to expand to where it is done being broken in?

Throwing it down your driveway a few times is about as good a "breaking in" an AR needs. Seriously just stop worrying about it and just shoot the gun.

AndyLate
08-01-21, 07:10

There is some mating of parts that occurs and the gas tube seals to the gas block with carbon, but it does not affect function generally and at 200 rounds, your rifles are "broken in". The gas port in the barrel erodes into a cone after enough rounds, but that does not enhance functionality and occurs near the end of the barrel's life.

Echoing Vicious, don't worry about it and just enjoy shooting.

Andy

prepare
08-01-21, 07:47
This is a good example of why its important to know how inspect each component. Gauging and measuring removes all uncertainty.

T2C
08-01-21, 08:04
It sounds like your rifles are running perfectly.

4 o'clock ejection alone does not mean the upper is undergassed or unreliable.

Agree. ^^^^

I've fired tens of thousands of rounds out of 16" barrels with mid-length gas systems with minimal issues and I haven't heard enough complaints that would lead me to believe they are unreliable.

ST911
08-01-21, 09:01
My criteria:
Does my rifle complete the cycle of operations?
Does it do so across the range of loads I use, exp lightest and hottest?
Does it do so in the weather conditions expected during my use?

Wow
08-01-21, 09:52
The reason I started this thread is because my 16" midlength AR would not cycle with my A5 system with a A5 tube and A5-2 buffer. It would extract but cycle. It eject 4oclock now that it is on a carbine lower.
I do not run it suppressed.

Clint
08-01-21, 10:29
If it feels weak and won't run with the A5, there may be an issue.

Like Georgeib said, possibly a leak due to improper assembly or out of spec parts.

Swapping in a known good BCG can help isolate the source.

Was this a build or a complete upper?

The reason I started this thread is because my 16" midlength AR would not cycle with my A5 system with a A5 tube and A5-2 buffer. It would extract but cycle. It eject 4oclock now that it is on a carbine lower.
I do not run it suppressed.

Wow
08-01-21, 13:25
I paid a gunsmith to assemble it for me.

-VLTOR MUR upper
-Criterion made American Defense MFG Hybrid profile Chrome Lined 16" midlength barrel
-SF Flash hider
-Sharps DLC BCG and PK Firearms Microbest Chrome BCG
-Radian CH
-Griffin Armament non adjustable gas block
-Aero Melonite black gas tube

Should my gun cycle with mid length gas and a A5 H2 buffer? I've heard that if it was carbine it should but no mid length because mid length is not overgassed?

08-01-21, 14:04
I paid a gunsmith to assemble it for me.

-VLTOR MUR upper
-Criterion made American Defense MFG Hybrid profile Chrome Lined 16" midlength barrel
-SF Flash hider
-Sharps DLC BCG and PK Firearms Microbest Chrome BCG
-Radian CH
-Griffin Armament non adjustable gas block
-Aero Melonite black gas tube

Should my gun cycle with mid length gas and a A5 H2 buffer? I've heard that if it was carbine it should but no mid length because mid length is not overgassed?

Nothing to do with mid vs carbine. With an appropriately sized gas port a 16” mid should run all day. I don’t think I’ve seen a 16” mid (or extended mid) in good condition that wouldn’t run with proper ammo and pretty much any buffer. Maybe I missed it, but: What ammo are you using? What spring?

Wow
08-01-21, 14:32
Ammo: 5.56 Federal milsurp 55gr
Spring: standard carbine buffer spring and buffer.

08-01-21, 15:08
XM193 should have enough juice to cycle any reasonable 16” gun.

With the A5-2 system that it does not cycle, you’re using a regular rifle spring, correct? Do you have another BCG to try? Could be leaking a bit around the gas key or something else off about the carrier.

Wow
08-01-21, 15:10
I've tried two reputable BCGs. One sharps and one microbest. Made no difference. I can try a different microbest too but I doubt it will make a difference.

When I was using the A5 system it was the intermediate buffer tube with a green sprinco rifle spring. A5-H2 buffer.

08-01-21, 15:19
I've tried two reputable BCGs. One sharps and one microbest. Made no difference. I can try a different microbest too but I doubt it will make a difference.

Interesting. Perhaps its leaking around the gas block, or the little nipple on the tube is undersized or something? I wouldn’t be at all concerned about the 4 o’clock ejection angle, but I do find it a little concerning that it won’t run the A5. Might seal itself up a bit with some more use, but I’d be looking for a gas leak, assuming everything is moving freely by hand with no binding.

Wow
08-01-21, 16:01
It bothers me because I thought I bought all high quality parts so I was expecting it to work flawlessly out of the box. How the heck are manufacturers still messing up ar15 parts. Maybe my gun smith is bad too, who knows.

Inkslinger
08-01-21, 16:24
It bothers me because I thought I bought all high quality parts so I was expecting it to work flawlessly out of the box. How the heck are manufacturers still messing up ar15 parts. Maybe my gun smith is bad too, who knows.

It may not be the parts. It may be the man that assembled it for you. Maybe he installed the gas block slightly off.

prepare
08-01-21, 16:35
Remove the handgaurd and visually check that the gas block is properly aligned and secured.

An inexpensive bore scope would allow you to see the gas port and gas block alignment.

Wow
08-01-21, 18:04
I did what you suggested. I also ordered a cheap bore scope. Lets see how that goes.

Here is an image album of the upper/gasblock/barrel. It looks good to me but I don't know much tbh. Do you see any issues with alignment, etc?

https://imgur.com/a/bcnJ3zX

vicious_cb
08-01-21, 18:29
I did what you suggested. I also ordered a cheap bore scope. Lets see how that goes.

Here is an image album of the upper/gasblock/barrel. It looks good to me but I don't know much tbh. Do you see any issues with alignment, etc?

Stop wasting time and money. Send that s**t back and tell them its short stroking, make them figure it out and fix it on their dime.

Wow
08-01-21, 18:34
If my gunsmith is too dumb to build it right the first time I don't want to send it back to the same guy.

prepare
08-01-21, 18:38

Visually it looks good. Plus the GB is pinned so providing its aligned properly it hasn’t moved.

georgeib
08-01-21, 18:44

https://imgur.com/a/bcnJ3zXLooks well assembled. Gas block seems to be aligned correctly too. I would move to an H1 or H0 buffer, and call it a day.

Clint
08-01-21, 19:36
Pictures are helpful.

The gas block looks like it might be a bit too far forward.

The gap between the barrel shoulder and the block should normally be around .025" and through the internet, this one looks like double that.

There's also fairly significant gas leak residue around the gas tube bore out both the front and back of the gas block.

Most likely due to a loose bore in the gas block or possibly an undersized gas tube OD.

n8vmind
08-01-21, 21:12

At what o'clock does your middy eject? I am feeling underpowered at 4.I went the other way, first AR was carbine length, 2nd AR was mid length. Both 16" with H1 buffer.. now I almost exclusively shoot the mid length.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

lysander
08-01-21, 21:54
Picture #12, the gas port is set forward about 0.045" to 0.050". (You can get a very good estimate from the under cut in the step. It is about 0.040" wide, and you can see all of it.)

That is enough to cover the gas port if the gas block is designed to work WITHOUT a handguard cap.

Measure from the back of the gas block to the center of the rear set screw hole, if it is 0.300", there's your problem.

Wow
08-01-21, 23:08
Here is an image of those measurements. I think it is closer to 0.250". I think I gave you the right value.

https://i.imgur.com/TbYHQeC.png

08-02-21, 00:24
What Lysander said. Take the gas block off. The center of the rear set screw dimple should be the same distance from the shoulder as the gas port center.

Most “local” gunsmiths are complete morons, in my experience. Like, $&@# up a wet dream morons. Regardless of where “local” has been over the years. Anything past installing Glock sights is too complex. This is why I own a BRD jig, a drill press, and a MI URR. I no longer even trust local gunsmiths to do a P/W on a muzzle device that I’ve pre-installed. I take that shit to a body shop instead. At least they can follow instructions and not replace my shims with a crush washer.

Reputable gunsmiths do exist, and you can hear about them in this forum. Ned Christensen and John Thomas spring to mind. I’m sure Clint (Black River Tactical) would be able to do this job correctly, also.

lysander
08-02-21, 10:16
Here is an image of those measurements. I think it is closer to 0.250". I think I gave you the right value.

https://i.imgur.com/TbYHQeC.png

Your scale is graduated in 1/32 inch divisions, the gap is at least 1/32 inch, probably a half more.

1/32 = 0.03125

Wow
08-02-21, 20:42
I got a borescope and this is the footage of it. It looks like the block is off a little bit. I don't know if this is bad or within the realm of good.
Would appreciate some input.

https://i.imgur.com/q2wcBP7.mp4

Am I crazy or is the hole in the gas block not even a circle. Looks like it is more eye or oval shaped?

https://imgur.com/a/hwm3Dlt

prepare
08-03-21, 03:53
Did the barrel come with the gas block installed or pre dimpled?

Wow
08-03-21, 11:11
Did the barrel come with the gas block installed or pre dimpled?

It came pre dimpled

prepare
08-03-21, 11:54
It came pre dimpled

I thought Criterion barrels came with a dimple so it’s probably not an alignment issue.

Do you know how to check your gas rings on the BSG and ensure the gas key is tight?

lysander
08-03-21, 16:46
You have a little erosion on the barrel port, and a little off center gas block, neither of which should cause severe under-gassing.

I see no major issue here.

And from the initial post I fail to see what the problem is. If you replace one brand new ejector spring with another brand new ejector spring you might see a similar change in ejection pattern.

People get way to wrapped around the axle worrying about ejection angle.

Wow
08-03-21, 17:38
I thought Criterion barrels came with a dimple so it’s probably not an alignment issue.

Do you know how to check your gas rings on the BSG and ensure the gas key is tight?

Stand the BCG on the bolt and if it doesn't drop it is GTG?

prepare
08-03-21, 18:15
Stand the BCG on the bolt and if it doesn't drop it is GTG?

Correct.

Providing there is no gas leakage your mid length build should lock back on an empty magazine with full power ammo.

Wow
08-03-21, 21:16
Correct.

Providing there is no gas leakage your mid length build should lock back on an empty magazine with full power ammo.

It was doing that on my carbine lower but not on my A5 H2 lower.

prepare
08-04-21, 04:20
It was doing that on my carbine lower but not on my A5 H2 lower.

If the carbine lower has a carbine buffer then I suggest an H buffer or an H2 with a Sprinco Blue spring.

08-04-21, 04:55
If the carbine lower has a carbine buffer then I suggest an H buffer or an H2 with a Sprinco Blue spring.

Why would a stiffer spring and heavier buffer help? Thats literally the opposite of what he needs.

OP, from your borescope pictures, it does look like your gas port is partially occluded. You say the barrel was pre-dimpled…. If you remove the rear set-screw while leaving the block cross pin in place, is the screw hole centered over the dimple? If it is not, you can remove the cross-pin, push the block back a hair until the dimple lines up, and install some set screws, properly. I’d suggest the toothed ones that BRT sells and some Rocksett. You’d be living without the cross-pin in this scenario.

I suspect your gunsmith effed up. Or the barrel maker effed up. Either way, someone effed up pretty significantly, because with the size of the hole in most gas blocks, a drunk Bonobo can get the holes to line up 99 times out of 100, with one hand on his pecker, not even using a jig.

You might be able to keep shooting it in whatever carbine RE config works and use full-pressure ammo, preferably 62 gr and up, and see if it still is reliable when it gets dirty and the temp is low. It probably is very close to the ragged edge if it won’t run an A5H2, though. The fixes I can think of if it ceases to be reliable would require some skill and access to tools, but it can be salvaged.

But I also think it would be reasonable to just bring it back to the gunsmith like Vicious CB pointed out, at this point. Because someone took your money and effed up, and it wasn’t your fault.

I feel your pain.

Edit: I just looked again at your pics…. Is the hole in the gas block ovoid and smaller than the gas port, or am I going blind?!? That would be pretty strange. Have you taken the gas block off and looked at that?

opngrnd
08-04-21, 09:13
Would it be possible to enlarge the gas port hole in the gas block? Seems like that would let him keep the pinned gas block and solve his gas drive problem.

lysander
08-04-21, 09:33
Would it be possible to enlarge the gas port hole in the gas block? Seems like that would let him keep the pinned gas block and solve his gas drive problem.

There is not enough mis-match between the two ports the to cause a problem.

MistWolf
08-04-21, 10:30
Why would a stiffer spring and heavier buffer help? Thats literally the opposite of what he needs.
A stiffer spring may not be needed or even desirable (but blue springs have long been known to work) but a carbine buffer is too light with standard ammo, regardless of how the AR is gassed.

from your borescope pictures, it does look like your gas port is partially occluded...
I watched the video a few times. The gas port is not blocked

You might be able to keep shooting it in whatever carbine RE config works and use full-pressure ammo, preferably 62 gr and up, and see if it still is reliable when it gets dirty and the temp is low. It probably is very close to the ragged edge if it won’t run an A5H2, though.
Gas port size does NOT determine which buffer is to be used. Using an adjustable gas block, I performed experiments with Carbine, H, H2 and A5H2 buffers. Each buffer required the the same gas block setting to achieve full lock back, both unsuppressed and unsuppressed, using standard 5.56 ammo.

I just looked again at your pics…. Is the hole in the gas block ovoid and smaller than the gas port, or am I going blind?!? That would be pretty strange. Have you taken the gas block off and looked at that?
You aren't seeing the port in the gas block. The port in the gas block is larger than the gas port in the barrel. What you are seeing is the wall thickness of the barrel where the gas port passes through.

Of course the gas port is going to look oval. It's drilled through a circular tube.

The assembler didn't screw up the gas block installation.

Curlew
08-04-21, 11:42
When I was using the A5 system it was the intermediate buffer tube with a green sprinco rifle spring. A5-H2 buffer.
You might try running the A5 with a standard rifle spring. The Sprinco green isn’t advertised as extra-power, but at least based on my sample, it is stiffer than baseline.

Also, the discussion so far has considered pretty much every possibility except the gas port itself. Any idea of the diameter? Maybe it’s just too small….

Wow
08-04-21, 12:24
I sent my upper to criterion. They were nice enough to pay for shipping. Hopefully they find the issue if there is one.

@prepare stiffer spring and heavier buffer would only worsen my problem. If anything I'd need to get a lighter buffer and a yellow spring. But that seems more like a bandaid than a solution.

@1168 I also think the hole in the gas block is smaller than that of the barrel. Also a bit oval shaped.

@opngrnd probably possible but I'd just buy a new one at that point.

@lysander alignment looks good but the gas block seems to have the smaller hole.

@MistWolf Agreed with everything. Still not sure why it would look oval if it was drilled through a circular tube? A circular drill bit should leave a circular hole no matter the shape of the object it was drilled into, would it not?

@Curlew. I'll try that. My sprinco green rifle spring does feel a bit stiffer than my generic rifle spring.

Here are some pictures of the borescope down my BCM barrel and BCM gas block.

blob:https://imgur.com/219b7c86-c989-45c2-b034-773b05803987

08-04-21, 13:34
A stiffer spring may not be needed or even desirable (but blue springs have long been known to work) but a carbine buffer is too light with standard ammo, regardless of how the AR is gassed.

I watched the video a few times. The gas port is not blocked

Gas port size does NOT determine which buffer is to be used. Using an adjustable gas block, I performed experiments with Carbine, H, H2 and A5H2 buffers. Each buffer required the the same gas block setting to achieve full lock back, both unsuppressed and unsuppressed, using standard 5.56 ammo.

You aren't seeing the port in the gas block. The port in the gas block is larger than the gas port in the barrel. What you are seeing is the wall thickness of the barrel where the gas port passes through.

Of course the gas port is going to look oval. It's drilled through a circular tube.

The assembler didn't screw up the gas block installation.

Look past the inside of the gas port. It looks like you can see the edges of the gas block hole, but in both the front and the back. I could be wrong; I’m looking at it on a tiny phone.

Did you notice his gun won’t cycle with an A5H2, but it will cycle with his carbine buffer? I’d say thats pretty good evidence that more spring and weight are a poor plan.

MistWolf
08-05-21, 20:34
Look past the inside of the gas port. It looks like you can see the edges of the gas block hole, but in both the front and the back. I could be wrong; I’m looking at it on a tiny phone.

@1168 I also think the hole in the gas block is smaller than that of the barrel. Also a bit oval shaped.

Looking at it zoomed in on a 12 inch laptop screen, I can see there is no edge of the gas block visible. If the gas block were blocking the barrel gas port at all, it would show up as a step at the bottom of the barrel gas port.

Did you notice his gun won’t cycle with an A5H2, but it will cycle with his carbine buffer? I’d say thats pretty good evidence that more spring and weight are a poor plan.

First, when using standard ammo, a carbine buffer is too light. Let me say that again- When using standard ammo, a carbine buffer is too light.
Second, when using standard ammo, an A5H2 is just right. It's not too heavy. It's not too light. It's the same weight as a rifle buffer.

Therefore, using standard ammo, if the AR cycles with a carbine buffer, but not with an A5H2 (assuming correct spring & receiver extension for both are being used), we can draw two conclusions-
-First, not enough gas is getting to the expansion chamber to operate the AR.
-Second, the AR is barely functioning with the carbine buffer.

So, sticking with a carbine buffer when using standard ammo is a poor plan. A better plan is tracking down the gas flow problem.

We know (at least I know) the gas block isn't blocking the gas port and therefore, isn't the problem.

My guess is the gas tube knob that fits in the gas key is too small and/or the gas key leaks at the carrier. I'm not going to go back and look because I've already wasted too much time on this thread, but I believe a different carrier was tried with the same results. That narrows it down to the gas tube knob.

A hole drilled through the sidewall of a round tube looks- let me emphasize the word looks- oval because the sidewall of a round tube is not flat.

Fun fact- Holes drilled at any other angle than 90 degrees to a flat surface, look oval.

The only part of a hole that's 90 degrees to the surface when drilled into the side of a round tube is the centerline running along the length of the tube. The further the diameter of the hole is from that centerline, the further from 90 degrees it is to the surface. It's gonna look oval.

I suspect my post on the matter is going to be dismissed. So from here, you guys are on your own.

Wow, Criterion should get you straightened out.

Wow
09-04-21, 15:52
Got my upper back from Criterion.

They said the two BCGs I was using were bad. At least the bolts were. They gave me a free BCM bolt. Gas block, ports, etc was all fine. They said Sharp's BCgs are trash.

Wake27
09-04-21, 16:01
Got my upper back from Criterion.

They said the two BCGs I was using were bad. At least the bolts were. They gave me a free BCM bolt. Gas block, ports, etc was all fine. They said Sharp's BCgs are trash.

Yeah that doesn’t surprise me with the BCGs you posted. Awesome of them to just give you a free $80 bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow
09-04-21, 16:11
Yeah that doesn’t surprise me with the BCGs you posted. Awesome of them to just give you a free $80 bolt.

Sharps I can see beeing iffy but Microbest? Isn't Microbest some massive OEM?

opngrnd
09-04-21, 16:27
Sharps I can see beeing iffy but Microbest? Isn't Microbest some massive OEM?

The quality of their product will probably vary depending on the specs requested by their OEM customers. I've chased the problem of bad BCGs with both a S&W and DSA BCG. Criterion is an excellent company, hope that solves the issue for you. Let us know how the next range trip goes.

opngrnd
09-04-21, 16:28
Double tap

georgeib
09-04-21, 18:49
I'm having difficulty seeing how the bolt was the problem. Could someone explain, please?

Wow
09-04-21, 18:52
they said the bolts were out of spec causing inconsistent chamber pressures. They said it was cycling with all their ammo (millsurp, blackhills, etc). I doubt they tried the A5-H2 buffer and system though. Mine was working on the carbine setup before I even sent it in.

georgeib
09-04-21, 20:07
they said the bolts were out of spec causing inconsistent chamber pressures. They said it was cycling with all their ammo (millsurp, blackhills, etc). I doubt they tried the A5-H2 buffer and system though. Mine was working on the carbine setup before I even sent it in.

Interesting. I'm eager to hear how it does with A5 now that you've got it back.

Wake27
09-04-21, 20:46

What spring are you using?

Criterion has made public statements about use with the A5 so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they tested it if you told them about your config.

opngrnd
09-04-21, 21:00

Criterion has made public statements about use with the A5 so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they tested it if you told them about your config.

What's the gist of Criterion's statements on the A5?

Wow
09-04-21, 21:15

Sprinco green.

What is this statement. I talked to them over the phone and the didn't mention anything to me. I told them I was using the A5 system.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Interesting. I'm eager to hear how it does with A5 now that you've got it back.

I'll go shooting again in a few weeks hopefully. I just gotta remember to bring my A5-H2 buffer. I am currently using the A5-H0 buffer with no issues.

Wake27
09-04-21, 21:29
Made statements meaning that on their Criterion Core product page, they list what A5 combo works best for that barrel IIRC. It wasn't at all unfavorable, but indicated that they had conducted tested to find what worked best with at least the Core line of barrels.

In the meantime, I'd try a stock rifle spring if you have one and want to continue troubleshooting. Honestly not sure what it would indicate given all of the other data, but I've had problems with the green spring on conservatively gassed setups.

AndyLate
09-04-21, 21:37
We complain about over gassed guns, we complain about correctly gassed guns not running in every configuration we try. I have the luck of the Irish and my ARs, be they factory or mix-master, pretty much just work. Heck, my rifle gassed 18" gun runs fine with an A5A2 buffer and a standard rifle spring.

I am glad to hear Criterion took care of you, assuming the gun runs for you, and good on them for providing a known good bolt tested in your barrel.

Good luck!

Andy

P.S. Strongly suggest you read what MistWolf posted again.

Wow
09-04-21, 21:41
Criterion, not Centurion.

fedupflyer
09-05-21, 11:34
Made statements meaning that on their Criterion Core product page, they list what A5 combo works best for that barrel IIRC. It wasn't at all unfavorable, but indicated that they had conducted tested to find what worked best with at least the Core line of barrels.

Where is that on the Criterion web site? I have looked but I do not see it.

Wake27
09-05-21, 12:08
Where is that on the Criterion web site? I have looked but I do not see it.

You’re right, I know I saw it somewhere, maybe someone posted an email convo with them.

Disciple
09-05-21, 14:00

Were you using the LMT Enhanced carrier in these tests?

MistWolf
09-06-21, 20:25
Were you using the LMT Enhanced carrier in these tests?

I tested the LMT and standard carrier. The standard carrier required one click more gas than the LMT.