PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a Noveske Stainless Steel Upper: I would have preferred CHF - regrets?

Armadillo
08-01-21, 22:17
I got a fair price on a SS upper.
$200 above MSRP shipped.
It's a 16" but I don't need extreme accuracy.
Would prefer CHF for durability and mag dumps instead of SS for accuracy.

Should I regret my purchase?
It'll probably never be fired anyway as I am a collector.
I hear the SS are good up to 15,000 rounds.

Would Noveske replace and install a new barrel after degradation?
(I'll pay for the barrel)

I'm just wondering how depressed I should be as I am an anal retentive perfectionist.

Any constructive input or even flaming is ok.

EDIT:

It was actually only $75 more than Noveske MSRP and that included shipping and tax. I was thinking they cost less than what I thought.
16″ Gen III Recon Upper is $1,425. So, I actually got a better deal than I thought.

3 AE
08-01-21, 22:35
You might consider deleting your post. It's pretty embarrassing.

DG23
08-01-21, 22:41
I got a fair price on a SS upper.
$200 above MSRP shipped.

How is more than MSRP 'a fair price'?

georgeib
08-01-21, 22:42
Cancel the order.

Armadillo
08-01-21, 22:42
How is more than MSRP 'a fair price'?

Because there is a 9 month back order.

georgeib
08-01-21, 22:44

For an upper you don't even want.

Armadillo
08-01-21, 22:45
Cancel the order.

I want it anyway - under these circumstances.

I could always sell it in a few years if I don't want it in my collection.

It just wont be one of my favorites.

The dealer is a stand up guy who I like and he already sent it.
I would never reneg as he did not misrepresent.

Leonidas24
08-01-21, 22:53
I want it anyway - under these circumstances.

I could always sell it in a few years if I don't want it in my collection.

It just wont be one of my favorites.

The dealer is a stand up guy who I like and he already sent it.
I would never reneg as he did not misrepresent.

Are you the same guy that posted a similar thread about Noveske Gen 3 vs Gen 4, and subsequently got roasted for it? Not judging in the slightest; ok, maybe a little. Buying something you didn't even want and then asking other people if you should regret it is weird. Then asking about potential barrel life when you're not going to shoot it is also weird.

All that aside I shot out a Noveske 12.5" stainless 5.56 barrel in about 7,000 rounds (I think, it's been a hot minute.) I bought it in 2009 before I knew better and shot the piss out of it. It was severely overgassed and took a lot of tuning to get it running right with normal 5.56 pressure loads. With that said it was very accurate until it wasn't, and at that point I replaced it with an Centurion 14.5" mid length CHF.

georgeib
08-01-21, 22:54
There you have your answer. Make the best of it. Instead of a bullet hose, it can be your recce rifle.

Armadillo
08-01-21, 23:00
There you have your answer. Make the best of it. Instead of a bullet hose, it can be your recce rifle.

I can live with that and it will be nice to diversify from my CHF barrels.

However, can somebody answer this?

Will Noveske do "gunsmithing".

Sooner or later this barrel will wear out.

I would only trust Noveske to put in a new barrel.
Would this be entertained?
I'm not looking for a free barrel - I'll pay for the new one - BUT can I get Noveske to do the install?

DG23
08-01-21, 23:08

On the bright side - If inflation keeps going the way it is...

In 9 months the cost of that same barrel could be 500 more than what you paid today.

:dirol:

DG23
08-01-21, 23:19

I'm not looking for a free barrel - I'll pay for the new one - BUT can I get Noveske to do the install?

This is why you should have ordered multiples at the same time. That way you would already have your spare (or a few spares) on hand for when the one went south. No waiting for a replacement and no hoping they still have that particular barrel in stock...

(Only half way kidding)

Armadillo
08-01-21, 23:22
This is why you should have ordered multiples at the same time. That way you would already have your spare (or a few spares) on hand for when the one went south. No waiting for a replacement and no hoping they still have that particular barrel in stock...

(Only half way kidding)

I take you advice seriously.

SO...

If I order a few CHF barrels (long wait) - can I send the whole kit and kaboodle to Noveske for installation?

That would really make me happy.

No rush of course!

turnburglar
08-01-21, 23:22

It's an AR not an Aston Martin.

Your great grand kids probably won't wear out any of your AR's. Do you know how much ammo it really takes to wear out a gun?

I'd full pass on a noveske. G, Triarc or radian would get my money.

alx01
08-02-21, 00:26
I take you advice seriously.

SO...

If I order a few CHF barrels (long wait) - can I send the whole kit and kaboodle to Noveske for installation?

That would really make me happy.

No rush of course!

I really be concerned about Stainless vs CHF. Noveske barrels are really, really good. Unlike CHF, their stainless steel barrels have proprietary chamber and some special rifling (can't recall the details now) which should make it both extremely durable and accurate.

I would much rather get barrel from a known reputable manufacturer than focus on the marketing lingo of process (CHF or whatever) or specific coatings and have it sway my decision towards a so-so brand.

I've never seen any real-life comparison that indicates that stainless steel barrels are somehow inferior to CHF in terms of durability. On the other hand, there are a few posts comparing accuracy, and typically stainless Noveske barrels are more accurate than their CHF barrels and a lot more accurate than many typical AR brands.

Don't regret or worry about it. If you like your Noveske upper, buy another one when CHF become available. If you don't - sell it at a slight loss and move on with your life. Without trying it yourself you won't really know it.

Noveske are not the cheapest rifles, but they have a good support and will help you if you have an issue with their product.

Armadillo
08-02-21, 00:35
I really be concerned about Stainless vs CHF. Noveske barrels are really, really good. Unlike CHF, their stainless steel barrels have proprietary chamber and some special rifling (can't recall the details now) which should make it both extremely durable and accurate.

I would much rather get barrel from a known reputable manufacturer than focus on the marketing lingo of process (CHF or whatever) or specific coatings and have it sway my decision towards a so-so brand.

I've never seen any real-life comparison that indicates that stainless steel barrels are somehow inferior to CHF in terms of durability. On the other hand, there are a few posts comparing accuracy, and typically stainless Noveske barrels are more accurate than their CHF barrels and a lot more accurate than many typical AR brands.

Don't regret or worry about it. If you like your Noveske upper, buy another one when CHF become available. If you don't - sell it at a slight loss and move on with your life. Without trying it yourself you won't really know it.

Noveske are not the cheapest rifles, but they have a good support and will help you if you have an issue with their product.

Great advice!

I should probably let you all know that I already bought his other CHF upper.

So, now I'll have 2 uppers, anyway.

All these uppers are going into deep cold storage for Armageddon.

At this point, I just want to know if Noveske would be so kind to install a new barrel when the day comes.
I'll pay for the barrel and wait for months but I just want to know if they will do it.

08-02-21, 01:03
If you have access to a workbench, just get a MI URR and a barrel nut wrench. And a torque wrench. It takes like 15-20 minutes to swap barrels with pre-pinned gas blocks, such as Noveske.

To answer your barrel profile thread question, Noveske profiles are good, despite being named with useless alphabet soup crypto. The CHF ones are just right; just pick a length. The stainless ones have a nice balance, but are much thicker and heavier, as is fitting for a barrel chosen for precision. Again, just pick a length. There is a weight chart at the link you provided that you can compare to more familiar brands. Had you not already bought this stuff, I’d have suggested trying a different brand that is more budget friendly with a similar profile.

Yes, stainless wears out faster than chrome lined. In my opinion, the Noveske ones are better than some, and equal to others in that metric. You need to be honest with yourself about how much you actually shoot this thing. It sounds like a stainless barrel will last you a lifetime.

Also, quit buying up all the shit at the PX.

Armadillo
08-02-21, 01:31
If you have access to a workbench, just get a MI URR and a barrel nut wrench. And a torque wrench. It takes like 15-20 minutes to swap barrels with pre-pinned gas blocks, such as Noveske.

To answer your barrel profile thread question, Noveske profiles are good, despite being named with useless alphabet soup crypto. The CHF ones are just right; just pick a length. The stainless ones have a nice balance, but are much thicker and heavier, as is fitting for a barrel chosen for precision. Again, just pick a length. There is a weight chart at the link you provided that you can compare to more familiar brands. Had you not already bought this stuff, I’d have suggested trying a different brand that is more budget friendly with a similar profile.

Yes, stainless wears out faster than chrome lined. In my opinion, the Noveske ones are better than some, and equal to others in that metric. You need to be honest with yourself about how much you actually shoot this thing. It sounds like a stainless barrel will last you a lifetime.

Also, quit buying up all the shit at the PX.

I have a Reaction Rod and torque wrench and barrel nut wrench.

It's the precision head spacing that wigs me out.

I guess if I buy some head spacing gauges, I'll be in good shape.

I'd rather pay $100 to ship both ways to Noveske though.

My guns are not just tools.

If I wanted a "tool" I'd buy a Colt and be done with it.

They are my prized possessions and trophies.

I would never take my car to anyone but a dealer, either.

I do in fact have a friend who is a highly skilled gunsmith and former manufacturer.

He is 75 though and may not be as capable in 10 years from now when I imagine this replacement to be done.

It it were not the whole head space issue, I do this job.

I consider myself to be a precision lower builder and have all the tools for lowers.
It takes me many hours to do one because I make it perfect.
I also go very slow to enjoy the engineering and appreciate the beauty of these machines.

It also takes me hours to refurbish an old Glock too, but I love it.

Working on guns for me is an art, not a job.

08-02-21, 04:34
Noveske used to sell headspaced bolts with their barrels for an additional fee, IIRC. Maybe they still would. Have you tried calling them?

08-02-21, 08:24
Nobody is headspacing anything on an AR. If it doesn’t pass, the bolt or the barrel is bad and it gets swapped out.

A receiver block, a dab of grease, and three pulls on a torque wrench and you did everything that anyone at Noveske could have done to put that barrel on.

Noveske barrels are very expensive and very overgassed IME.

I’d rather a 6920 16” carbine than anything Noveske makes.

georgeib
08-02-21, 08:59
Nobody is headspacing anything on an AR. If it doesn’t pass, the bolt or the barrel is bad and it gets swapped out.

A receiver block, a dab of grease, and three pulls on a torque wrench and you did everything that anyone at Noveske could have done to put that barrel on.

This.

If you can remove and replace a wheel on your vehicle, you can replace a barrel.

Uncas47
08-02-21, 11:39
Noveske would most likely be the best source of what they will or will not do.

Uncas47
08-02-21, 11:42
[QUOTE=17K;296690.

I’d rather a 6920 16” carbine than anything Noveske makes.[/QUOTE]

Gotta go with that.

DG23
08-02-21, 19:09

Really?

I guess I should call CLE up and ask them for my money back from the last time they cut chambers for me to fit the bolts I provided...

Will also add that the OP bought a stainless match barrel from Noveske. No personal experience with their match barrels but I would venture to guess that they will be a little better than any random 6920 barrel from Colt as far as accuracy is concerned. May not last as long but that is the price you pay for greater accuracy sometimes.

A 6920 is not near an apples to apples comparison to a good quality SS, match grade barrel.

Armadillo
08-02-21, 20:28
Thank You all for the information and opinions.

Noveske got back to me by a quick detailed email.

1. The SS barrel will last a good while. The person at Noveske told me he has on with 10,000 rounds and is still very accurate.

2. They don't do barrel swaps right now because they are very busy.

Minus a couple hang ups, I think I can do a barrel swap when the time comes. I have lots of the equipment and just bought a Noveske barrel wrench for good measure.

Honesty, I have only fired about 10,000 rounds on my own rifle - which I am not about to retire.
The new SS will outlive me, no doubt.

I actually received it today. It was as great if not better than I hoped. I'm really glad to have it in my collection and have since put it into storage.

The CHF from the same dealer will arrive in a couple days. It will go into the collection as well.

I'm really glad to own this upper, now.

All this talk about barrels got me excited and I bought a few barrels from another source that are CHF 10.5".
Money in the bank as far as I am concerned.

My next purchase will be a CMMG Banshee for my SBR. I'll be having some fun shooting 22, soon.

I should be GTG with that before the fall for some foliage time shooting when the weather gets cooler.

In the mean time, my new acquisitions will be a valued addition to my collection.

I would urge people to place orders for guns and uppers from your favorite manufactures through dealers which should hold your spot.

The backlog for some stuff if over a year so you can save up in the mean time.

Either that or pay a premium if you want it now.

Thank You!

ndmiller
08-02-21, 20:58
I bought a CHF rifle from Noveske while John was alive along with building a few stainless SBR's with their NSR rail and have been very impressed. Both the CHF and Stainless are tack drivers if I do my part, but they clearly favor a 62-77gr over 55gr whether craptastic->range->match ammo. Stainless is <MOA, while CHF is just over MOA at 100 with irons for me, but I would think a better shooter could improve upon that.

Price on the other hand is somewhat misleading as I've paid more for worse but never less for better. From a barrel wearing out standpoint 10K for stainless or way more for CHF is a lot of shooting over a long period of time for me and $7k+ at current prices. If the time comes I'd say I got my moneys worth.

Shoot them and enjoy.

Armadillo
08-02-21, 21:33
I bought a CHF rifle from Noveske while John was alive along with building a few stainless SBR's with their NSR rail and have been very impressed. Both the CHF and Stainless are tack drivers if I do my part, but they clearly favor a 62-77gr over 55gr whether craptastic->range->match ammo. Stainless is <MOA, while CHF is just over MOA at 100 with irons for me, but I would think a better shooter could improve upon that.

Price on the other hand is somewhat misleading as I've paid more for worse but never less for better. From a barrel wearing out standpoint 10K for stainless or way more for CHF is a lot of shooting over a long period of time for me and $7k+ at current prices. If the time comes I'd say I got my moneys worth.

Shoot them and enjoy.

God Bless John!

I have two from his time.

$7,000 is enough money to put me in a Jeep Wrangler if added to my next car fund. Or, even a Bronco.

I shoot enough to stay sharp but as things are right now - I just want to own hardware without blowing too much ammo.

gas1
08-02-21, 22:17
It’s Younger Women, faster Horses 🐎,more money 💰
It’s a barrel

Steve-0-
08-03-21, 03:37
Im not reading through this thread but your saying you pretty much went to the spearmint rhino, got a private dance and are complaining about it afterwards

AndyLate
08-03-21, 07:32
Im not reading through this thread but your saying you pretty much went to the spearmint rhino, got a private dance and are complaining about it afterwards

I think its closer to he reserved a private dance with the blonde at spearmint rhino then heard the brunette there is a freak but she is gone for a week and he is regretting not waiting for her. Still hasn't gotten the dance but has lots of money to pay for it.

I could be wrong, of course. He lost me worrying about barrel life on a gun he doesn't plan to shoot, then he doubled down asking if he could pay Noveske to install a new barrel after he wears out the first without shooting it.

I heard a guy with the capital police read this thread and killed himself but I don't have confirmation.

Andy

Straight Shooter
08-03-21, 07:55
I think its closer to he reserved a private dance with the blonde at spearmint rhino then heard the brunette there is a freak but she is gone for a week and he is regretting not waiting for her. Still hasn't gotten the dance but has lots of money to pay for it.

I could be wrong, of course. He lost me worrying about barrel life on a gun he doesn't plan to shoot, then he doubled down asking if he could pay Noveske to install a new barrel after he wears out the first without shooting it.

I heard a guy with the capital police read this thread and killed himself but I don't have confirmation.

Andy

Oh man thats funny! Its a....different kinda post, for sure.

grizzman
08-03-21, 12:09

Andy

This is an awesome post.

Stickman
08-03-21, 12:19
Will Noveske do "gunsmithing"?

Noveske used to do special order/ custom work, but it wasn't a cost effective use of time. I believe it was stopped and not restarted.

When was the last time you wore out the barrel on a personal weapon? Any weapon for that matter?

Why would you only trust Noveske to install a new barrel?

On a side note, $200 over MSRP? What dealer are we talking about?

Stickman
08-03-21, 12:20

Your knowledge base is lacking. Seriously.

Stickman
08-03-21, 12:22

If you are lucky, the manufacturer/ assembler checks barrel headspace, but not all do. In addition, to clarify your above comment, if the barrel and bolt combo is no good, the bolt is typically thrown back in the bucket and another bolt is grabbed. Tolerance stacking means what doesn't fit right with one may be perfect with another.

Steve-0-
08-03-21, 14:50

Andy

LMAO. Best response ever

vicious_cb
08-03-21, 15:43

Andy

Actually its more like this: Saw a 10/10 chick on Instagram or FB, is actually a 6/10 in real life. Agreed to overpay for one night, takes her out to dinner and buys her jewelry never intending to get in the sack with her. Then asks where she would like to go dinner for a second date.

alx01
08-03-21, 16:29
Your knowledge base is lacking. Seriously.

Please feel free to share your experiences and correct me where I'm wrong.

If someone has published a comparison I would be very interested in reading it out of curiosity.

You have some relationship with BCM, Centurion Arms (and maybe even Noveske) and they both sell CHF and SS barrels. I, as many others, would be interested to know the feedback on a usable service life.

How many rounds does it take for a well-made SS vs CHF AR barrel to go to say 5 MOA?

DG23
08-03-21, 19:25
Please feel free to share your experiences and correct me where I'm wrong.

I would be curious what you got wrong as well. Cause from doing some reading at the Noveske website just now it seems as though you were spot on with respect to their SS barrels.

From Noveske website:

Our stainless barrels are made to fill a precision role while retaining flawless function. Retaining accuracy and reliability is a complicated balance in that the chamber needs to be slightly modified from the NATO specifications to improve bullet hook-up in the throat, while keeping to functional properties of the NATO body dimensions. The result is our proprietary Noveske chambering. The steel used is a type of 416R and hardened to about 30 HRC prior to any machining. These barrels are button rifled with our proprietary PT buttons. This rifling profile differs from that in the chrome lined barrel line in that the lands have a slightly more trapezoidal shape. This design and the type of stainless used helps the lead edge of the rifling from eroding as fast as it might with conventional rifling, and the barrels tend to outlast others. For use in any precision application, we recommend the stainless barrel for its edge in accuracy and excellent reliability.

https://noveske.com/faq/

The chambering that Noveske does to their SS barrels sounds a LOT like what CLE does with their special CLE chambering.

Perhaps we don't have a lot of guys here that shoot out of anything but honked out 5.56 Nato chambers?

That stuff does make a difference with respect to accuracy...

Armadillo
08-04-21, 01:42
Noveske used to do special order/ custom work, but it wasn't a cost effective use of time. I believe it was stopped and not restarted.

When was the last time you wore out the barrel on a personal weapon? Any weapon for that matter?

Why would you only trust Noveske to install a new barrel?

On a side note, $200 over MSRP? What dealer are we talking about?

I never wore out a rifle.

Having Noveske work on my rifles is a special thing to me. Just like many people treasure the rifles that John personally had a hand in making.
If I had a Porsche, I would only want a Porsche dealer touching it. I would not take it to the local garage on the corner.

I have read about one of the pins on the gas black is particularly tough for some folks.
I'd rather have a pro do it than mar the finish with a hammer.

The dealer was on GunBroker and was the only dealer with this upper in stock.
I don't want people to think he is a bad guy because he sold it to me for the market price.

I would be enlightened to know of dealers selling uppers for MSRP in this day and age.

I talked to Noveske and asked them to recommend stocking dealers and the man they told me about put my other uppers on order and there is a 9 month wait.

Considering that now the wait is 12 months, I sure would not blame a dealer for selling for a premium.

He is doing me a favor because if it were less it would have sold out. And, I would prefer to pay a premium and actually have it in hand rather than wait another year.

No dealer would sell for MSRP right now for something that was not spoken for.
If they did, the buyer would flip it for a nice profit.

If you happen to know any such dealers, I'd be happy to clean out there stock and flip them myself.

georgeib
08-04-21, 07:17

Having Noveske work on my rifles is a special thing to me. Just like many people treasure the rifles that John personally had a hand in making.
If I had a Porsche, I would only want a Porsche dealer touching it. I would not take it to the local garage on the corner.

I have read about one of the pins on the gas black is particularly tough for some folks.

I don't want people to think he is a bad guy because he sold it to me for the market price.

I would be enlightened to know of dealers selling uppers for MSRP in this day and age.

I talked to Noveske and asked them to recommend stocking dealers and the man they told me about put my other uppers on order and there is a 9 month wait.

Considering that now the wait is 12 months, I sure would not blame a dealer for selling for a premium.

He is doing me a favor because if it were less it would have sold out. And, I would prefer to pay a premium and actually have it in hand rather than wait another year.

If you happen to know any such dealers, I'd be happy to clean out there stock and flip them myself.

Look man, it's not a Porsche, or a car of any kind; it's a very modular rifle of a very common design. Thinking that the manufacturer is the only one capable of doing something as simple as switching a barrel (that you in reality will never actually have to have have switched) is a misunderstanding of the system at best, and fantasy thinking at worst.

If this was a Porsche, would you have the dealer do your basic maintenance? Likely so, right? Well, would you send your rifle to Noveske for cleaning and lubing? Didn't think so. It's an AR, man. A simple, modular, common design that anyone of moderate intelligence can work on with the correct information.

ndmiller
08-04-21, 07:18

The pins are indeed tough without the secret as I found out many years ago.

Put the pin in the freezer overnight. After pounding the first pin (before learning of the trick) and almost giving up, someone (on this site) told me and honestly I didn't believe it, although seemed familiar to install wheel bearing in a car or other bearings that are press fit. I was annoyed having to wait for the freezer to do it's work, but got everything ready, took the pin out of the freezer and it tapped right in like a loose rear sight would. That one nugget has kept me here reading this forum trying to learn, see cool pictures, hear stories, and try to help when I can.

vicious_cb
08-04-21, 07:55

Hate to tell you but you are 12 years too late. The current Noveske is about as far from John's vision as any another other faux boutique AR shop. There is nothing special about Noveske's current offerings and you would be a fool to pay what they currently charging much less paying extra.

I mean look how out of data your information is, those "hard to remove" solid dowel pins havent been used in like 10 years, they've been using regular roll pins for their gas blocks for a long time. Stop reading 10 year old threads on how awesome Noveske was because the current Noveske is very far from that standard.

DG23
08-04-21, 18:06
The pins are indeed tough without the secret as I found out many years ago.

Put the pin in the freezer overnight. After pounding the first pin (before learning of the trick) and almost giving up, someone (on this site) told me and honestly I didn't believe it,

For those of us that despise waiting when doing that sort of thing - One of those small can auto AC recharge kits works in seconds. Lots of 'do it yourself' guys usually have stuff like that around and do not consider how many different ways it can be used...

Nitrous works better, faster and is cheaper. @3 bucks a lb or so here for that if buying automotive grade. Can also be purchased in very small quantities in little CO2 looking containers at cake places / sometimes at sex shops. That stuff is obviously 'food grade' and not going to be as stinky as the automotive stuff.

https://www.creamright.com/category/nitrous.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI87iLsbyY8gIVyK6GCh2AOg3EEAAYAiAAEgIz1_D_BwE

Screw waiting for a freezer. :dirol:

Pappabear
08-04-21, 20:41
Great advice!

I should probably let you all know that I already bought his other CHF upper.

So, now I'll have 2 uppers, anyway.

At this point, I just want to know if Noveske would be so kind to install a new barrel when the day comes.
I'll pay for the barrel and wait for months but I just want to know if they will do it.

There are many many capable gunsmiths that could instal any barrel of your choosing. I don’t know shit about gunsmithing but I’ve had Markm and Iraqgunz (RIP) replace many barrels and have never had issues. Call Noveske and ask them and get your answer, but your worried about a non issue IMHO. Chill it will all work out and I doubt you will ever shoot out your current barrel. Good luck shooting it out though.

PB

ExplorinInTheWoods
08-05-21, 05:29
Dude you need to chill. The stainless barrels are good, it sounds like you probably won’t even shoot it enough to wear it out. I have an 18in SS Noveske barrel and a 16in chf Noveske barrel. The SS shoots lights out and the CHF is alright. Email Noveske and find out if they’ll swap it for you but honestly for 5.56 guns don’t worry about head spacing. As long as you install it in the proper specs and use decent parts you’ll be fine.

AndyLate
08-05-21, 07:43

After Armageddon? No - they will be closed.

Andy

Stickman
08-05-21, 16:06
You have some relationship with BCM, Centurion Arms (and maybe even Noveske) and they both sell CHF and SS barrels. I, as many others, would be interested to know the feedback on a usable service life.

No sir, I have relationships with almost every company in the AR15 world. Regarding Noveske, I used to vacation at Johns house for a week or two most years, some would call that a relationship.

dan1612
08-05-21, 22:25
I ran 2Gun with a stainless barreled WC SBR for about 5 years. I don’t think CHF would have served me any better or worse. I think you did just fine.