PDA

View Full Version : LaRue MBT Price Increase

Dutch110
08-04-21, 13:01
Well dangit. Just put one in a build a month ago and liked it. Thought it was close to the G2S's I have in other rifles but for a lot less money. Checked on stock last week and they are in stock and were at the old price of I think right around 90 bucks? Went back to order today and they are at 118. Not so much of a bargain anymore when I can get a G2S for 24 bucks more........ At the old price the G2S wasn't 50 bucks better, but now? Oh well, at least both are in stock and I have the freedom to decide.

Alpine2k3
08-04-21, 13:18
I thought the old price was around $125.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirkmagurk
08-04-21, 13:30
Centurion AST is $93.50 direct from their website currently and is a better trigger than the LaRue. Also, Centurion arms offers a military discount (LaRue does not) and has some of the best customer service in the industry.

rm06
08-04-21, 13:53
Well, that was great timing, I wasn't aware these existed. I was thinking of a LaRue and saw the price increase, then I was mulling over another SSA but I'm just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. Order placed with Centurion.

Dutch110
08-04-21, 13:59

They were when they first came out. Then they dropped to 90 bucks for a long time. Now they are back up again. Not sure of the timing on the price decrease.

Dutch110
08-04-21, 20:25
Centurion AST is $93.50 direct from their website currently and is a better trigger than the LaRue. Also, Centurion arms offers a military discount (LaRue does not) and has some of the best customer service in the industry.

Interested in what you liked better with the Centurion over the LaRue? Seriously considering it but am curious as to the difference between the two. Thanks.

seb5
08-04-21, 20:51
Well dangit. Just put one in a build a month ago and liked it. Thought it was close to the G2S's I have in other rifles but for a lot less money. Checked on stock last week and they are in stock and were at the old price of I think right around 90 bucks? Went back to order today and they are at 118. Not so much of a bargain anymore when I can get a G2S for 24 bucks more........ At the old price the G2S wasn't 50 bucks better, but now? Oh well, at least both are in stock and I have the freedom to decide.

The G2S isn't even in the same league. I've got 5 Giesselles but buy Larues for any new builds and for friends that want a new trigger. They were originally 125.00 and I think Larue decided to put the hurt on more expensive triggers and he certainly made his point. It's still a bargain.

Sooter76
08-04-21, 21:24
I think Larue decided to put the hurt on more expensive triggers and he certainly made his point. It's still a bargain.

That or the government printing money for the last 8 months and the inflation it’s causing having its effects…

08-04-21, 22:59
That or the government printing money for the last 8 months and the inflation it’s causing having its effects…

Quite possibly.

I’m going up 7% from January this year to next just to cover higher cost of EVERYTHING.

pag23
08-05-21, 03:39
Well thank goodness I got mine a few months ago.....with builds or upgrades...I am about 50/50 with the MBT and SSAs

I don't blame him with the price increase with all that is going on.

Dutch110
08-05-21, 07:49
The G2S isn't even in the same league. I've got 5 Giesselles but buy Larues for any new builds and for friends that want a new trigger. They were originally 125.00 and I think Larue decided to put the hurt on more expensive triggers and he certainly made his point. It's still a bargain.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Doing side by side dry firing they both have similar take up but once they hit the wall they are different. The MBT has a much more pronounced wall and definitive break while the G2S is less pronounced and a less definitive break. My finger-o-meter says there is maybe a 1/2 difference in the two with the MBT being heavier? But that could be because of the wall. The reset is very similar as well. Either way, I would say they are very much in the same league but it comes down to personal preference. Much like a lot of things. That's why I always hesitate to get into trigger discussions. What's ideal for you may be suckville for me. I have a buddy who is on the county SERT team in the role of designated marksman. USMC trained as well. All his triggers are milspec with a bit of a polish job. He loves them and you certainly cant argue with his results. He picks up my rifles and a look of disgust comes over his face when he pulls the trigger, lol.

BTW I prefer the MBT over the G2S.

jesuvuah
08-05-21, 08:12
I own an ssa-e, ssa, g2s, and mbt.

I find no real discernable difference between the g2s and ssa. I also find the mbt to be its equal. I think I only paid 80 for my mbt on a black Friday sale, and it was a steal at that price. I should have bought more.

This centurion trigger has peaked my interest though.

Soli Deo Gloria

dan1612
08-05-21, 09:32
G2S was always better considering the reliability of full power springs. Having said that, I only own SDE’s and SDC’s anymore oh and the SSX’s or whatever they’re called.

Dutch110
08-05-21, 09:45
G2S was always better considering the reliability of full power springs. Having said that, I only own SDE’s and SDC’s anymore oh and the SSX’s or whatever they’re called.

I used the MBT on a 7.62 x 39 build and had the same concerns. However when I spoke with LaRue the rep assured me he had used it on a 7.62 build as well with no issues. 500 or so rounds of Russian ammo later I have found he was right. Have had zero issues.

Disciple
08-05-21, 11:54
G2S was always better considering the reliability of full power springs.

Are you implying LaRue doesn't use full power springs?

dan1612
08-05-21, 11:55
Are you implying LaRue doesn't use full power springs?

I thought the installed ones are reduced and the extras are full. I could be wrong.

Disciple
08-05-21, 12:01
Those options are for the trigger (reset) springs, not the hammer spring. I believe the softer trigger spring is standard weight, and the heavier one is extra power. Subjectively the hammer fall on the MBT-2S does not feel soft at all.

Dutch110
08-05-21, 12:33
The LaRue uses a full power hammer spring. I can attest to that from experience. Like I said above, 500 rounds of hard Russian primers have lit off so far with no issue in my 7.62 build. Also based on what the LaRue rep told me.

Stickman
08-05-21, 16:03

Larue decided he didn't like Bill G, so he made a trigger and pushed sales with it being super cheap. It really isn't much different than when he told people to break their ARMS mounts and he would send them LT mounts in their place. I guess the largest difference would be that G hasn't sued LT like ARMS ended up doing, and I think we all remember how that turned out for LT.

Pappabear
08-05-21, 16:08
Quite possibly.

I’m going up 7% from January this year to next just to cover higher cost of EVERYTHING.

The help isn’t getting any cheaper either, if you can find it.

PB

Pappabear
08-05-21, 16:14
I knew the guy wasn’t liked, but didn’t know the extent to which he promoted hate.

PB

Disciple
08-05-21, 16:29
Last year these were on sale for $70 each in a pack of five. https://web.archive.org/web/20201107233708/https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

They may not ever be that low again but perhaps wait for Black Friday if you can, especially if you want multiple.

Dutch110
08-05-21, 16:32
I knew the guy wasn’t liked, but didn’t know the extent to which he promoted hate.

PB

Can you be more specific? BG, ML or DS? :D

Dutch110
08-05-21, 16:38
Last year these were on sale for $70 each in a pack of five. https://web.archive.org/web/20201107233708/https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

They may not ever be that low again but perhaps wait for Black Friday if you can, especially if you want multiple.

I'm cheap but not THAT cheap lol. My thinking is I need to just buy the LaRue at its current price. I like it more than my G2S. And the Centurion is probably more like the SSA/G2S then it is like the LaRue so if A = B and B = C then A = C. Or I could just buy both and use it as an excuse to start another build.

CPM
08-05-21, 19:53
I have two MBT’s. When I went to install one in my DD5V4 it was too wide. When I reached out to Mark on IG to ask if he had any suggestions he said, “Yeah, get a different lower.”

I have only purchased Geisselle’s since and will almost certainly go Centurion now that I know of it’s existence.

dan1612
08-05-21, 20:44
Wow. What a douche.
Wish someone else made a micro mount as tall as lt660.

Stickman
08-05-21, 20:55
Wow. What a douche.
Wish someone else made a micro mount as tall as lt660.

Is the Reptilia not tall enough?

dan1612
08-05-21, 20:59
Is the Reptilia not tall enough?

Not sure.
Not if it’s Geissele height, which is 1.53.
LT660 is 1.64.
Scalarworks is 1.57. Midwest, DD and Fortis are 1.65, but I don’t like those for various reasons.
If Reptilia was above 1.57, I’d be stoked. Currently running Scalarworks on my fixed irons setup. Not ideal, but it works.

CPM
08-06-21, 08:45
Not sure.
Not if it’s Geissele height, which is 1.53.
LT660 is 1.64.
Scalarworks is 1.57. Midwest, DD and Fortis are 1.65, but I don’t like those for various reasons.
If Reptilia was above 1.57, I’d be stoked. Currently running Scalarworks on my fixed irons setup. Not ideal, but it works.

What about ADM?

AndyLate
08-06-21, 09:23
I happily paid $100 + less for the MBT than the SSA twice and live with the shortcomings (soft reset, square edges on trigger bow).

My next 2 stage trigger will be a Centurion.

Andy

Dutch110
08-06-21, 10:10
I have two MBT’s. When I went to install one in my DD5V4 it was too wide. When I reached out to Mark on IG to ask if he had any suggestions he said, “Yeah, get a different lower.”

I have only purchased Geisselle’s since and will almost certainly go Centurion now that I know of it’s existence.

This comment alone made me go order the Centurion this morning. The pistol this is going on already has a Centurion rail on it so why not.

dan1612
08-06-21, 10:12
The LaRue uses a full power hammer spring. I can attest to that from experience. Like I said above, 500 rounds of hard Russian primers have lit off so far with no issue in my 7.62 build. Also based on what the LaRue rep told me.

Thank you for the clarification. I’ve made erroneous assumptions before, and I’m ok with it.

Dutch110
08-06-21, 10:18
Thank you for the clarification. I’ve made erroneous assumptions before, and I’m ok with it.

Every time I think I am right I just ask my wife and she sets me straight. :D

Stickman
08-06-21, 10:40

I could have sworn that when those triggers came out they included an extra spring and told people if they needed full power springs to hit harder, to use the standard strength spring they included. Evidently the message changed at some point.

Dutch110
08-06-21, 10:47
I could have sworn that when those triggers came out they included an extra spring and told people if they needed full power springs to hit harder, to use the standard strength spring they included. Evidently the message changed at some point.

The one I received a few months ago just had an extra power trigger spring, not a hammer spring. Said to increase overall pull wt to 5lbs. The hammer spring is stout just based on what I felt while installing it.

B Cart
08-06-21, 12:18
I used to only run Geissele SSA-Es, until the MBT came out. I was getting the MBT for $87 from Larue's website, and it's a hell of a trigger for that price. It felt very close to my SSA-Es that were twice the price, and was by far the best bang for the buck.

Sad to see they jacked the price back up on the MBTs, but the Centurion option looks promising! Might have to pick one up.

Disciple
08-06-21, 14:24

That's pretty poor support, but did you measure the lower to see if it is in spec? If LaRue gauges every single trigger they sell I could at least understand the reply.

Warp
08-06-21, 19:45
The price increase is long overdue. People ordering double digits to resell is super annoying, and buying an "in stock" trigger then waiting 3 months for it is also super annoying.

Hopefully the wait times will be less stupid at the less-low price

CPM
08-06-21, 20:32
That's pretty poor support, but did you measure the lower to see if it is in spec? If LaRue gauges every single trigger they sell I could at least understand the reply.

I did not, but it’s a Daniel Defense, my dude. The SD-C that’s currently in it fit fine. The MBT is laughably wide.

08-07-21, 01:29
When I measured my MBT’s width in comparison to other triggers, I found that it was not as wide as it looked or felt. In fact, it was rather close to some of the rest, if not the same size at the top. Unfortunately, I don’t remember how many thousandths or *#&@-hairs it was, exactly, but perhaps enough to not play well with a hole at the small end of tolerance. Its a bummer that it didn’t fit for you. I don’t know if I’d call it laughably wide, though; thats partly an illusion.

Is it common for .308 guns like the DDM5 to have compatibility issues with aftermarket triggers? Serious question; I don’t have any.

Edit: this reads like I’m doubting your experience. I’m not.

08-07-21, 09:05

That was dick way to respond, but those triggers are wire edm from a piece of plate. They start out at a dimension within any tolerance of a trigger hole in a lower.

AndyLate
08-07-21, 10:35
I agree Mark is not known for his soft skills. Pricing the triggers the way he did definitely helped the AR shooters of the world, so I don't mind.

Either way, I am not suprised the MBT prices have increased and I don't really care. My next upgraded trigger will be a Centurion 2 stage installed in a Centurion lower. Nice people, nice trigger, and a nice price.

Andy

dan1612
08-07-21, 11:26
Not so much of a bargain anymore when I can get a G2S for 24 bucks more........
You can actually get a G2S for $2.50 less:

https://geissele.com/geissele-2-stage-g2s-trigger-blem.html

AndyLate
08-07-21, 11:31
You can actually get a G2S for $2.50 less:

https://geissele.com/geissele-2-stage-g2s-trigger-blem.html

Still has a screwy hammer pin retainer and costs more than a Centurion AST:
https://centurionarms.com/triggers/centurion-arms-llc-advanced-sniper-trigger-ast-2-stage-trigger/

Andy

CPM
08-07-21, 16:08
When I measured my MBT’s width in comparison to other triggers, I found that it was not as wide as it looked or felt. In fact, it was rather close to some of the rest, if not the same size at the top. Unfortunately, I don’t remember how many thousandths or *#&@-hairs it was, exactly, but perhaps enough to not play well with a hole at the small end of tolerance. Its a bummer that it didn’t fit for you. I don’t know if I’d call it laughably wide, though; thats partly an illusion.

Is it common for .308 guns like the DDM5 to have compatibility issues with aftermarket triggers? Serious question; I don’t have any.

Edit: this reads like I’m doubting your experience. I’m not.

No worries, bro. I have only shot 2 308 gas guns- the M110, and we were not allowed to take apart the lower, and my DD5. The milspec trigger it came with obviously fit fine and my SDC dropped in fine. Other than that I have no experience assembling them, so small sample size. My friend has build several with Aero receivers and hasn’t had any issues, but he doesn’t use the MBT.

Renegade04
08-10-21, 15:21
Even with the increase in price of the MBTs, I would still not hesitate to buy them over the Geisseles. I have a few Geissele triggers (SSA-E), but I have several MBT-2S triggers. I use the lighter spring setup and have never had issue with it. As one pointed out an issue with the trigger being too wide, I had that case one time on a billet lower. With a little Dremel work on the lower and some touch-up, it worked out well. Never had a fitment issue with forged lowers, the Brownells BRN-180 billet lower, or the 17 Design 17DM-180 billet lower.

dan1612
08-10-21, 19:17
Well G2S is cheaper.
I simply cannot imagine anyone in their right mind buying Larue over Geissele when Geissele (variants) are proven and this is cheaper. But hey, Taurus is still in business…

Warp
08-10-21, 19:28
Well G2S is cheaper.
I simply cannot imagine anyone in their right mind buying Larue over Geissele when Geissele (variants) are proven and this is cheaper. But hey, Taurus is still in business…

So you think LaRue is as proven as Taurus?

Guess I know who not to listen to eh

mcnabb100
08-10-21, 19:30
Well G2S is cheaper.

You say that like the larue just hit the market or something. It's also kind of wild to compare it to Taurus. How often do you think Taurus EDM's parts out of plate steel?

dan1612
08-10-21, 19:31
So you think LaRue is as proven as Taurus?

Guess I know who not to listen to eh

I was alluding that buying Taurus makes just about as much sense, in a market with better alternatives.
But we all have choices.

Warp
08-10-21, 19:34
I was alluding that buying Taurus makes just about as much sense, in a market with better alternatives.
But we all have choices.

Like I said, I know who to ignore now

dan1612
08-10-21, 19:36
No problem. I guess I’m alone in this, and that’s fine, but Larue over a cheaper G2S just doesn’t make sense to me.
Sorry. [emoji2371]

VLODPG
08-10-21, 19:46
Well G2S is cheaper.

Great if you want a G Blem!

Renegade
08-10-21, 21:36
Well dangit. Just put one in a build a month ago and liked it. Thought it was close to the G2S's I have in other rifles but for a lot less money. Checked on stock last week and they are in stock and were at the old price of I think right around 90 bucks? Went back to order today and they are at 118.

I paid $80 last year, and $87 this past May.

grizzman
08-10-21, 22:04
I paid $99 for my first couple, and considered it an unreasonably great price. When the price was lowered to $87, I bought a couple more. Then I bought a couple more, then I bought one or two more. When they were reduced to $75, I replaced a couple JP Classic single stage units that I'd been running for a long time. I've got a couple in Aero M5s and one in an old DPMS LR308, so for me, fitment in large frame ARs wasn't an issue.

To me, the choice between an MBT-2S and a $165 G2S was easy. Yes, the squared trigger shoe is a bit different, but I have lots of different rifles with different shaped trigger shoes. I have absolutely no problem transitioning between any of them. I do have an SSA, that I bought for $165 before the MBT-2S was released. If I could repeatedly pay this much for them, I would, but that's simply not possible.

Centurion's 2 stage intrigued me enough to stray from LaRue, and it's great. If I ever need another AR trigger, it will come from Centurion.

Steve-0-
08-11-21, 01:58
Mark hates Bill hence the trigger sub $100 while it could last. Centurion is the same schmid 2-stage offered all over the place.

All offerings are exceptional. If moneys tight, then go budget choice. you wont be dissapointed.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-11-21, 02:07
Boy, I think I bought two when they were around $50. Does that sound right to anyone?

Anyways, great trigger, easily as good as my SSA in all ways. I'm partial to the SSAE so I don't run the MBT anymore, but that doesn't mean its not fantastic in its own right.

Eurodriver
08-11-21, 04:54
No problem. I guess I’m alone in this, and that’s fine, but Larue over a cheaper G2S just doesn’t make sense to me.
Sorry. [emoji2371]

You are not alone. The MBT is trash. It’s only saving grace was that it was cheap.

08-11-21, 04:55
Mark hates Bill hence the trigger sub $100 while it could last. Centurion is the same schmid 2-stage offered all over the place.

All offerings are exceptional. If moneys tight, then go budget choice. you wont be dissapointed.

So, in your opinion, is the difference between “C” Brand vs “S” Brand two stage plated Schmid triggers a coin flip? I’ve only used the “S” Brand ones, so far.

chamber143
08-11-21, 06:20
Boy, I think I bought two when they were around $50. Does that sound right to anyone?

Anyways, great trigger, easily as good as my SSA in all ways. I'm partial to the SSAE so I don't run the MBT anymore, but that doesn't mean its not fantastic in its own right.

I was thinking the same thing. I think it was a Christmas special that never went away about a year ago. I bought 2 for 50 something a piece and I thought that was an amazing deal and I don't think its as good as a ssa, its close enough and was like 20% the cost and I went with it. I hate to see they are now 118 but hey good things don't last long. Kinda like .20/rd 556.

chamber143
08-11-21, 06:23
You are not alone. The MBT is trash. It’s only saving grace was that it was cheap.

man tell us what you really think. I have a couple ssa's and a ssa-e and a couple mbts and I believe the feel is better on the ssa, but the quality is equal and on par with each other. I wouldn't pay 120 for the mbt but for 50, which is what it was when I bought it, its a damn fine trigger.

RHINOWSO
08-11-21, 07:10

MBT started around $150 or so, then went down to $125, then the fire sales at $80.

It's not a bad $80 trigger, but that's about it.

The Centurion AST kills it though.

Warp
08-11-21, 08:44
At the same price point, I'd buy an MBT-2S over an SSA or G2S. Coin toss between SSA-E and MBT-2S probably take the SSA-E. Would take SSA-E X over all of them.

I own them all

Anybody who says any of the above are trash is likely either a shill or just looking for attention

Budget
08-11-21, 09:34
Thanks to this thread, I got the Centurion AST and at $98 delivered I'm a very happy camper.

Not quite as nice as my KAC but not expecting it to be.

08-11-21, 09:37
At the same price point, I'd buy an MBT-2S over an SSA or G2S. Coin toss between SSA-E and MBT-2S probably take the SSA-E. Would take SSA-E X over all of them.

I own them all

Same here. I also have them all, or have unlimited access.

Dutch110
08-11-21, 10:51
Why is it that trigger threads always turn "interesting?" First you have the folks who have a vested interest in promoting one over the other weighing in with not so subtle commentary. Then you have the fanboys, which a lot of times are fueled by a hatred/love of the company owners (this is also interesting because in this case one person's poor dealings with Mark LaRue actually swayed me to try the Centurion.) Finally there are the people who actually own and use the trigger(s) being discussed who offer their opinions on each of them (those are the folks who's feedback I like to hear.) Ultimately triggers are a very personal choice, so there is really no wrong answer. I've only been a member on this forum for a short time but this seems to be how these things ultimately go no matter the venue, lol.

chamber143
08-11-21, 10:55
Why is it that trigger threads always turn "interesting?" First you have the folks who have a vested interest in promoting one over the other weighing in with not so subtle commentary. Then you have the fanboys, which a lot of times are fueled by a hatred/love of the company owners (this is also interesting because in this case one person's poor dealings with Mark LaRue actually swayed me to try the Centurion.) Finally there are the people who actually own and use the trigger(s) being discussed who offer their opinions on each of them (those are the folks who's feedback I like to hear.) Ultimately triggers are a very personal choice, so there is really no wrong answer. I've only been a member on this forum for a short time but this seems to be how these things ultimately go no matter the venue, lol.

Not sure it’s just triggers but I get the idea. I think people are super loyal to what they spend their hard earned money on. I can tell who is who and just simply ignore the fanboy stuff and get to the meat of the pragmatic discussion.

Dutch110
08-11-21, 11:00
Not sure it’s just triggers but I get the idea. I think people are super loyal to what they spend their hard earned money on. I can tell who is who and just simply ignore the fanboy stuff and get to the meat of the pragmatic discussion.

Indeed. Motorcycle forums are/were notorious for this too. Back in the day there were brand specific forums (R6, GSXR etc etc) and every month or two there were knock down threads about which slip on exhaust was better. It was absolutely hilarious because none of them made a significant difference in any way. Just dudes arguing over why the one they spent their money on was better.

chamber143
08-11-21, 11:03
Indeed. Motorcycle forums are/were notorious for this too. Back in the day there were brand specific forums (R6, GSXR etc etc) and every month or two there were knock down threads about which slip on exhaust was better. It was absolutely hilarious because none of them made a significant difference in any way. Just dudes arguing over why the one they spent their money on was better.

Yep. I have significantly more time with my ssa than I do with the mbt but i will say that the mbt is really nice but I do think the reset is not as good as the ssa. But I wouldn’t feel slighted if I had to go to war with either

Disciple
08-11-21, 12:43
Thanks to this thread, I got the Centurion AST and at $98 delivered I'm a very happy camper.

How long is the reset, and does it reset to the wall or is there take-up again?

Budget
08-11-21, 12:59
How long is the reset, and does it reset to the wall or is there take-up again?

I don't have the ability to measure the reset, think Eric Bana in Blackhawk Down waving his finger but instead I say "this is my trigger pull gauge." The take up is different than I'm used to since the only comparison I have is my KAC. The AST has no play in it, very very light to bring it to the wall, and then a very crisp trigger break. So it feels lighter than the KAC on the first stage but ever so slightly heavier on the second.

The reset is very pronounced, almost pushes your finger back in place and it resets to the wall so there is no take up when you fire after reset.

Dutch110
08-11-21, 13:12
Yep. I have significantly more time with my ssa than I do with the mbt but i will say that the mbt is really nice but I do think the reset is not as good as the ssa. But I wouldn’t feel slighted if I had to go to war with either

I noticed the same thing when comparing my MBT to the G2S. Reset on the G2S is better to me. Not enough for me to declare the MBT a POS and regret my decision. I still like it a lot. If I dont like this Centurion that is coming on Saturday I'll probably order another MBT. The one thing I dont like about the G2S, and others have said it, is that stupid retainer clip on the hammer pin and spring. I'm never taking that trigger out because 1.) it was a pain in the ass to put in and 2.) if I do I am sure I will launch that clip across the shop.

08-11-21, 13:16
For the dudes that don’t like the reset on the MBT, I would suggest trying the heavier Larue “HD” trigger spring. I think it comes with the trigger. It has little effect on the pull, but livens up the reset significantly. I use that spring with my Sionics triggers, also, and I think I might have put it in my SSA, but I don’t remember.

Disciple
08-11-21, 13:35
I tried both when I installed my MBT-2S and I preferred the lighter spring. Recently I tried the heavy spring again and I still prefer the lighter one. With either spring the trigger resets somewhere in the first stage so there is take-up again before reaching the wall. To me that's fine for precision but not quite right for general purpose that includes close/fast. The Centurion trigger sounds very nice as Budget describes it.

chamber143
08-13-21, 13:37
For the dudes that don’t like the reset on the MBT, I would suggest trying the heavier Larue “HD” trigger spring. I think it comes with the trigger. It has little effect on the pull, but livens up the reset significantly. I use that spring with my Sionics triggers, also, and I think I might have put it in my SSA, but I don’t remember.

It’s not that I don’t like the reset it just seems to push out harder and a much more pronounced sound. I just think I can run the ssa faster, but in reality it could be that I’ve run thousands of rounds through the ssa and maybe 5-600 through the mbt being it’s in my 300blk and that ammo is sickly expensive

Dutch110
08-14-21, 17:11
The Centurion arrived today and I installed it. What follows is my personal opinion so if you disagree, fine. That's you're right to do so. These are the conclusions I reached after many a grueling minute of dry firing each of the following triggers back to back from the palatial confines of my office chair.

G2S - Medium take up. Clean, light break. Over travel is minimal. Best reset of the bunch. It forces your finger into reset much more so than the other two. Tied for the lightest pull with the Centurion.

MBT - Medium take up. Clean and pronounced break. Medium over travel. Reset is good but not as good as the G2S. It doesn't push your finger forward and it feels like its into the first stage when it resets.

Centurion - Small take up. There's a bit of creep in this before it breaks. This may clean up once I put rounds through it. Over travel is between the G2S and the MBT but closer to the G2S. Reset is shorter than the MBT but without the "push" of the G2S. Tied for lightest pull with the G2S

Which one do I like best? The G2S by a very slight margin. The cost and retainer clip on the hammer spring are the downfalls of this for me. The MBT is in 2nd. If the reset weren't so long on the MBT it would challenge for the number one slot. But it is. So it didn't. The Centurion is a very nice trigger and it does everything well but the other two are better in a few categories and that slight creep before the break put it in 3rd

In reality you can cover these three with a blanket. And I am not good enough to exploit the minor differences between these three triggers. I guarantee my groups and split times would not be at the mercy of the trigger if one of these three were in the gun. Am I sending back the Centurion? Absolutely not. Its a great trigger. Just so happens in this company, and for me personally, the other two feel better to me. And it's funny that my ranking happens to be in order of descending cost too.

BTW I put fresh lube on all three triggers before doing my highly scientific dry fire finger bang evaluation. Because science.

Disciple
08-14-21, 18:45
Thanks. Please let me know if the creep improves after some use of the Centurion. I wonder if it is possible for a skilled gunsmith to tune the MBT-2S for a shorter reset to the wall without producing an unsafe condition like fire on slow reset.

georgeib
08-14-21, 19:05
The Centurion arrived today and I installed it. What follows is my personal opinion so if you disagree, fine. That's you're right to do so. These are the conclusions I reached after many a grueling minute of dry firing each of the following triggers back to back from the palatial confines of my office chair.

G2S - Medium take up. Clean, light break. Over travel is minimal. Best reset of the bunch. It forces your finger into reset much more so than the other two. Tied for the lightest pull with the Centurion.
MBT - Medium take up. Clean and pronounced break. Medium over travel. Reset is good but not as good as the G2S. It doesn't push your finger forward and it feels like its into the first stage when it resets.
Centurion - Small take up. There's a bit of creep in this before it breaks. This may clean up once I put rounds through it. Over travel is between the G2S and the MBT but closer to the G2S. Reset is shorter than the MBT but without the "push" of the G2S. Tied for lightest pull with the G2S

Which one do I like best? The G2S by a very slight margin. The cost and retainer clip on the hammer spring are the downfalls of this for me. The MBT is in 2nd. If the reset weren't so long on the MBT it would challenge for the number one slot. But it is. So it didn't. The Centurion is a very nice trigger and it does everything well but the other two are better in a few categories and that slight creep before the break put it in 3rd

In reality you can cover these three with a blanket. And I am not good enough to exploit the minor differences between these three triggers. I guarantee my groups and split times would not be at the mercy of the trigger if one of these three were in the gun. Am I sending back the Centurion? Absolutely not. Its a great trigger. Just so happens in this company, and for me personally, the other two feel better to me. And it's funny that my ranking happens to be in order of descending cost too.

BTW I put fresh lube on all three triggers before doing my highly scientific dry fire finger bang evaluation. Because science.I appreciate your taking the time to do the write up. I've got Geisseles in everything, but was intrigued by the Centurion due to the price and generally glowing reviews. It's nice to have a comparison between the triggers.

Dutch110
08-14-21, 19:12
Thanks. Please let me know if the creep improves after some use of the Centurion. I wonder if it is possible for a skilled gunsmith to tune the MBT-2S for a shorter reset to the wall without producing an unsafe condition like fire on slow reset.

Will do.

On the MBT I think by the time you pay a good gunsmith to tune it you'd spend more money than if you'd just bought the G2S. For the build I have the MBT on the reset really isn't an issue for me.

Disciple
08-14-21, 20:41
For the build I have the MBT on the reset really isn't an issue for me.

Same here. That break is so nice I can't help but think about it in general purpose use however. As you said I can't see paying for the gunsmithing; more curious if it's possible or there's something about the MBT design that requires the long reset into the first stage.

grizzman
08-14-21, 20:52
When I was in the gun room earlier this evening, I selected three ARs, which have AST, MBT, and SSA triggers. All of their reset points were to the 1st stage, with roughly equal trigger travel required before the wall was reached. The force differences of the reset might be measurable with instrumentation, but any differences were not reliably identified with my finger.

Basically, if the MBT had a more traditionally shaped shoe, it's unlikely I'd be able to identify the trigger used while blindfolded....and certainly now when shooting under any but the most precision-based situation.

Disciple
08-14-21, 22:32
Some variation between installations? I suppose cassette triggers exist for a reason.

08-15-21, 00:57
Some variation between installations? I suppose cassette triggers exist for a reason.

I noticed this with my two Sionics two stage triggers. The first receiver I had the first one in reset right to the wall. When I moved it to the 9mm, it was more like the SSA.

1_click_off
08-15-21, 10:28
I have 6 MBT triggers and 1 still in the can (which has been redesigned and is a plastic container molded to hold a trigger and that is all). They were nice small parts bins.

I always thought they were a good trigger at the price point and didn’t see a big enough difference to spend the extra money on the G. With that said, I am glad I got them when I did and will be tapping out now they are above the $87 mark and will look at other triggers….

I even put one of these in my 15-22 at the $87 price.

08-15-21, 10:49
I noticed the same thing when comparing my MBT to the G2S. Reset on the G2S is better to me. Not enough for me to declare the MBT a POS and regret my decision. I still like it a lot. If I dont like this Centurion that is coming on Saturday I'll probably order another MBT. The one thing I dont like about the G2S, and others have said it, is that stupid retainer clip on the hammer pin and spring. I'm never taking that trigger out because 1.) it was a pain in the ass to put in and 2.) if I do I am sure I will launch that clip across the shop.

Hi Dutch,

When you mentioned the MBT above, are you referring to the MBT single stage or the MBT-2S?
I have a couple of MBT-2S triggers, and am considering the Geissele 2 stage trigger for another rifle.

kwb377
08-15-21, 19:55
Can anyone recommend a trigger in the MBT, G2S, etc. price range for a large pin Colt?

A couple of years ago, I had a trigger on back-order for my older 6920 and finally cancelled it after months of waiting (IIRC it was an ALG ACT)...now I don't see anything except $300+ SSA, S3G, etc. Not looking for a cassette trigger.

kwb377
08-15-21, 19:56
Can anyone recommend a trigger in the MBT, G2S, etc. price range for a large pin Colt?

A couple of years ago, I had a trigger on back-order for my older 6920 and finally cancelled it after months of waiting (IIRC it was an ALG ACT)...now I don't see anything except $300+ SSA, S3G, etc. Not looking for a cassette trigger.

Disciple
08-15-21, 21:30
I noticed this with my two Sionics two stage triggers. The first receiver I had the first one in reset right to the wall. When I moved it to the 9mm, it was more like the SSA.

I think you said this before I didn't realize it was the same trigger. That's solid confirmation that trigger performance varies between receivers. Do you mind sharing the brands of the receivers?

08-16-21, 07:47
I think you said this before I didn't realize it was the same trigger. That's solid confirmation that trigger performance varies between receivers. Do you mind sharing the brands of the receivers?
First one was KAC stripper, second was PSA 9mm Colt mag. I may have tried it in a Zev at some point, also.

Dutch110
08-16-21, 08:15
Hi Dutch,

When you mentioned the MBT above, are you referring to the MBT single stage or the MBT-2S?
I have a couple of MBT-2S triggers, and am considering the Geissele 2 stage trigger for another rifle.

Howdy. Sorry I wasn't specific. It's the MBT-2S.

RHINOWSO
08-16-21, 08:16
Thanks. Please let me know if the creep improves after some use of the Centurion.
I have two AST, one had a bit of creep that went away with 25 or so dry fires. The second had none at all.

I wonder if it is possible for a skilled gunsmith to tune the MBT-2S for a shorter reset to the wall without producing an unsafe condition like fire on slow reset.
Not remotely worth the effort. Put the money into a trigger you will actually like.

Dutch110
08-16-21, 08:31
First one was KAC stripper, second was PSA 9mm Colt mag. I may have tried it in a Zev at some point, also.

That's a really good point. The G2S is in a BAD lower and the MBT and Centurion are both in Spike's lowers. I would assume even a slight variance in pin hole diameter or, more importantly, orientation on the receiver itself would have an impact.

08-16-21, 08:36
Howdy. Sorry I wasn't specific. It's the MBT-2S.

No worries. Thanks.

CPM
08-16-21, 22:30
Shout out to Mark Larue- Just bought a Centurion trigger last night for 97.70 shipped. Will report how it feels when I receive it Friday.

Vote with your wallet, folks

Dutch110
08-17-21, 09:56
So after two days of dry firing the Centurion while I sit on endless conf calls for work I can say that the creep in the trigger has started to smooth out considerably. It very well may be moving into a tie for second place with the MBT-2S.

Disciple
10-25-21, 11:27
As I expected these are on sale again, though not quite as low as last year. Curved bow only.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

1 @ $99 ea.
3 @ $89 ea.
5 @ $79 ea.

Dutch110
10-25-21, 12:28
As I expected these are on sale again, though not quite as low as last year. Curved bow only.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger/

1 @ $99 ea.
3 @ $89 ea.
5 @ $79 ea.

Sonofabitch. I just got one in last week at the old price.

Disciple
10-25-21, 13:44

I'm cheap but not THAT cheap lol.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dutch110
10-25-21, 16:01
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's all good. I was honestly not sure which direction I was going to go. MBT or Centurion. It was a game day decision and I went with the MBT for this build. 20 bucks wont kill me but just my luck that I was a week early.

RUTGERS95
10-29-21, 23:17
big fan of the mbt and think they are better than the G but I'm tempted to try the Centurion now as I'm in the mkt for another trigger. Everything Centurion makes is well made with great quality so I think it's worth the try.

Northridge
11-01-21, 21:24
Got in on the $99 deal. Shot it over the weekend and it compares well with my SSA’s. I think the SSA-E maybe a little better. But for $99 bucks it really can’t be beat.

ffhounddog
11-01-21, 22:36
I bought 6 of the Single stage triggers, probably should have gone with the 2 stage trigger but I rarely pull out the SPR normally just a carbine with a ALG-QMS, BCM, or LWRCi trigger. So went with the single stage. Still have three to install but they will have to wait until after I get back from deployment.

Dutch110
11-02-21, 07:48
Anyone else noticing the prices on the G2S and SSA-E's coming down a bit? Been seeing sales on them off and on lately. Feels like a bit of a price war developing between these two. Could just be imagining it......

crosseyedshooter
11-02-21, 09:51
Anyone else noticing the prices on the G2S and SSA-E's coming down a bit? Been seeing sales on them off and on lately. Feels like a bit of a price war developing between these two. Could just be imagining it......

You could Google the history of the MBT-2S and probably find that it was made to undercut G. This has been mentioned by L himself. The rivalry has been going on for a while, but sometimes seems only one-sided. It might also have something to do with competing for government contracts (optics mounts) bleeding over into rivalry in the commercial space.

everready73
11-02-21, 11:29

Mark posted on Instagram just about that. Something about funny how they run a sale on the MBT and G does one right away, but theirs are still 2x the cost. I like my SSA-E. MBT is good too, nice to have options.

RHINOWSO
11-02-21, 12:33
big fan of the mbt and think they are better than the G but I'm tempted to try the Centurion now as I'm in the mkt for another trigger. Everything Centurion makes is well made with great quality so I think it's worth the try.

DO IT.

DO IT NOW.

https://centurionarms.com/triggers/centurion-arms-llc-advanced-sniper-trigger-ast-2-stage-trigger/

Stickman
11-02-21, 14:17
DO IT.

DO IT NOW.

This X2....

Dutch110
11-02-21, 15:44

It did clean up after a few hundred rounds. Deciding between the MBT and the Centurion, for me, would come down to availability and if there were any sales to be had. And honestly, the more I use them both the more I lose interest in the G2S. The G just isn't that much better than these two to justify the added cost. Even if they were equal costs the non captured hammer pin retainer spring really bugs me on the G. If I had to revise my review I would tie the MBT and Centurion for first place. I know, lame, but I really do like them equally now.

JediGuy
11-02-21, 17:55
Subjectively and I bet someone could make it objective as well, the G SSA is a better (“smoother”) trigger out of the box than either the MBT-2S or the Centurion AST. It is no contest.
Whether you want to pay $160-240 for each trigger is a whole different matter. Depends on what you want. I have the SSA and Tricon and AST; the AST was smoothed out and I long ago sold the MBT-2S.
Most people, me included, will do just fine with a BCM PNT for $40-50 less. But if you don’t mind spending the money and want the best, an SSA or derivative is the answer.

wanderson
11-03-21, 05:16
Well if anyone needs a cheap 2 stage, I just ordered a Schmid Tool 2 stage NiB from Botach for $60.

Right To Bear also has RRA NM & Varmit 2 stage FCGs on sale for $80.

JediGuy
11-03-21, 07:20
Well if anyone needs a cheap 2 stage, I just ordered a Schmid Tool 2 stage NiB from Botach for $60.

Mr. Anderson, check out info from user sinister in how to make that Schmid better. If you keep reading, I took a couple pictures of what I did.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?231727-Stock-triggers-vs-Geissele-KAC-MBT-anything-inherently-more-reliable-or-durable/page3

Dutch110
11-03-21, 10:28

RRA NM used to be my go to. Still have one in one of my rifles. The one thing I did notice about them is that if you run steel case at all you will need a higher power hammer spring. The ones I had didn't fail often on steel but enough for me to swap out the spring and take care of the issue.

wanderson
11-03-21, 11:18
[QUOTE=Dutch110;2988596]RRA NM used to be my go to. Still have one in one of my rifles. The one thing I did notice about them is that if you run steel case at all you will need a higher power hammer spring. The ones I had didn't fail often on steel but enough for me to swap out the spring and take care of the issue.[/QUOTE
I run an old RRA 2 stage NM in my 5.45x39 AR. Even with an enhanced firing pin it needs a Wolff xtra power hammer spring to ignite surplus 7n6. That spring in a single stage is a 10 lb pull but in a decent 2stage it’s much easier to live with.

Also did the same with a Geissele G2S in a budget build 7.62x39 but recently stole it for my new dedicated .22 so just wanted any old cheap 2stage to put back. Paying $20 more for a RRA 2stage might have been the safer bet but curiosity got the best of me. The G2S is a nice trigger, got on a Black Friday sale years ago for about $40 off but at $160 vs half that for an RRA, it’s not twice as good.
Not to derail from 2 stages, but had a PSA enhanced polished single stage & ALG QMS single stage that both got upgraded with some JP Springs. I think they were $12 a kit shipped from Amazon, all three springs. Nice upgrade for lunch money.

ViniVidivici
11-03-21, 12:12
DO IT.

DO IT NOW.

Is this not just a rebranded Schmidt trigger, which I have heard good things about?

Disciple
11-03-21, 12:29
Is this not just a rebranded Schmidt trigger, which I have heard good things about?

There is already a twelve page thread for that trigger. It is a Schmidt but may have customization or additional QC. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?223705-New-Centurion-Arms-Triggers

Avalanche
11-12-21, 21:35
Inflation likely

RUTGERS95
11-13-21, 14:28
There is already a twelve page thread for that trigger. It is a Schmidt but may have customization or additional QC. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?223705-New-Centurion-Arms-Triggers

it's identical save the log, I have both

Disciple
11-13-21, 14:35
I think you're the first who has had both to report. If you posted that in the long thread referenced I did not see it.

RUTGERS95
11-13-21, 14:56
I think you're the first who has had both to report. If you posted that in the long thread referenced I did not see it.

I did not post there but have both and they are identical in every facet except the logo. I saw no further polishing, sear differences nothing and they feel identical. I'll bet, after reading that thread, if you told people the non centurion version was the centurion one they'd think it was better; placebo and price value is strong when making value determinants. I'm buying another one for another build I'm doing and will get the AP so I'll have all 3 and will report back. Feels very much like the SSA but I'm a fan of the LaRue and think the LaRue 2nds stage is bit cleaner on the break but barely. For $60 from botach vs the $90+ from centurion, I'd buy the nonbranded one all day everyday and save the 50%

Dutch110
11-15-21, 13:31
I did not post there but have both and they are identical in every facet except the logo. I saw no further polishing, sear differences nothing and they feel identical. I'll bet, after reading that thread, if you told people the non centurion version was the centurion one they'd think it was better; placebo and price value is strong when making value determinants. I'm buying another one for another build I'm doing and will get the AP so I'll have all 3 and will report back. Feels very much like the SSA but I'm a fan of the LaRue and think the LaRue 2nds stage is bit cleaner on the break but barely. For $60 from botach vs the $90+ from centurion, I'd buy the nonbranded one all day everyday and save the 50%

Agree with you on the LaRue being nicer on the break. I also found it had a cleaner take up.

RUTGERS95
11-16-21, 10:58
Agree with you on the LaRue being nicer on the break. I also found it had a cleaner take up.

I think it's the best trigger under 200 or so. LaRue really hit a home run with it. Agree on first stage as well, very smooth