PDA

View Full Version : M16A4 clone

f.2
12-10-08, 15:25
I'd like to build an M16A4 clone with a BCM 20" Government Profile Upper and had some questions. BCM web site says Coming Mid 2009.

Anyone else have 20" M16A4 build? Can I take a fixed stock and mount it on a LMT Defender lower? If so, which fixed stock should I get?

Recommendations for a FF rail?

Iraqgunz
12-10-08, 15:40
If you are going to build an M16A4 clone, then you will need a rifle length buffer tube, buffer and spring as as well as an M16A2 fixed buttstock.

I'd like to build an M16A4 clone with a BCM 20" Government Profile Upper and had some questions. BCM web site says Coming Mid 2009.

Anyone else have 20" M16A4 build? Can I take a fixed stock and mount it on a LMT Defender lower? If so, which fixed stock should I get?

decodeddiesel
12-10-08, 15:40

I don't have an M16A4, but I am familiar with it having been exposed to the weapon in the military. It's basically an M16A2 with a flat top receiver, Knight's rail system, Knight's VFG, rail panels, AN/PEQ-2, Surefire M951 (might be a different light), and an ACOG TA31-RCO.

Sure you can mount a fixed stock to any lower, just remove the carbine buffer tube and screw on the rifle buffer tube and stock. Just get a normal M16A2 stock...

A real A4 is not free floated, it uses the Knight's Armament M5 RAS and accessories. However if I were to install a free floating rail and deviate from a strict clone, I would go with a LaRue because I'm a LaRue junky and the "feel" of the rail with pannels is really close to a Knight's.

Iraqgunz
12-10-08, 15:42
DD,

You beat me dammit! Oh yeah and another thing, you have 666 posts. Welcome to hell. :D

I don't have an M16A4, but I am familiar with it having been exposed to the weapon in the military. It's basically an M16A2 with a flat top receiver, Knight's rail system, Knight's VFG, rail panels, AN/PEQ-2, Surefire M951 (might be a different light), and an ACOG TA31-RCO.

Sure you can mount a fixed stock to any lower, just remove the carbine buffer tube and screw on the rifle buffer tube and stock. Just get a normal M16A2 stock...

A real A4 is not free floated, it uses the Knight's Armament M5 RAS and accessories. However if I were to install a free floating rail and deviate from a strict clone, I would go with a LaRue because I'm a LaRue junky and the "feel" of the rail with pannels is really close to a Knight's.

GlockWRX
12-10-08, 15:58
Doesn't Sabre Defense make a 20" A4 type upper?

decodeddiesel
12-10-08, 16:00
DD,

You beat me dammit! Oh yeah and another thing, you have 666 posts. Welcome to hell. :D

Heh...well I got divorced from my first wife a year ago and got out of Iraq 2 years ago, so no hell for me! :D

f.2
12-10-08, 16:29

Good info, thanks.

Where can I purchase online?

- rifle buffer tube
- M16A2 stock

would this work? Milspec Receiver Extention for M16 Rifle (Rifle Buffer Tube) (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Milspec-Receiver-Extention-for-M16-Rifle-p/receiver%20extention%20m16%20rifle.htm)

would I also need a rifle buffer and spring, or would the one that comes with the LMT Defender work?

Iraqgunz
12-10-08, 16:56
f.2,

You will need a RIFLE buffer tube (aka lower receiver extension) not a carbine one. You will also need a RIFLE buffer and spring, as they are different from a carbine. You can try our sponsors here GandRtactical or Bravo Company.

Good info, thanks.

- carbine buffer tube
- M16A2 stock

decodeddiesel
12-10-08, 17:03
Good info, thanks.

- rifle buffer tube
- M16A2 stock

would this work? Milspec Receiver Extention for M16 Rifle (Rifle Buffer Tube) (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Milspec-Receiver-Extention-for-M16-Rifle-p/receiver%20extention%20m16%20rifle.htm)

would I also need a rifle buffer and spring, or would the one that comes with the LMT Defender work?

You will need that buffer tube you have linked there, a rifle length recoil spring, a rifle buffer, and the actual A2 stock. Then you'll reap the sweet benefits of a rifle type operating system (next to no recoil).

f.2
12-10-08, 19:20
Thanks guys.

http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_bucktooth.gif

Molon
12-10-08, 20:18
As already mentioned, genuine A4s use the KAC M5 rail that is not free-floated. If you are going to build a clone for yourself, you met as well reap the benifits of a KAC free-float rail.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/s06dylbbrq.jpg

f.2
12-10-08, 20:42
Very nice Molon. Tell me about your upper; who's upper receiver / bbl?, where did you get the M5 and how much?, who built it?, what kind of 100yd groups?

http://www.crf2.com/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

As already mentioned, genuine A4s use the KAC M5 rail that is not free-floated. If you are going to build a clone for yourself, you met as well reap the benifits of a KAC free-float rail.

Molon
12-10-08, 21:27
Very nice Molon. Tell me about your upper; who's upper receiver / bbl?, where did you get the M5 and how much?, who built it?, what kind of 100yd groups?

http://www.crf2.com/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

> Colt upper and lower receivers
> 20" Colt A2 government profile barrel, chrome lined, NATO chambered, 1:7" twist
> KAC RAS free-float railed handguard (not the M5) $300+ from Operation Parts?

All work was performed by myself. Also, the standard FSB was replaced with a GG&G flip up front sight/gas block.

Shooting from a benchrest using a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification I obtained three, 10-shot groups using hand-loaded match-grade ammunition. Those three groups measured 1.21”, 1.24” and 1.32” for an average of 1.26". As per my usual method of testing, a 30-round composite group was obtained using RSI Shooting Lab software. The mean radius for the 30-round group was 0.40”.

Iraqgunz
12-11-08, 03:31
Here is my M16A4 (started as an M16A2) that I used from 12/06- 06/07 in Iraq. It has the KAC M5 rail system. Enjoy.

Parabellum9x19mm
12-11-08, 04:09
our A4s had plastic handguards. M68CCOs or carry handles.

you could build a plain jane A4 clone and it would be just as authentic (but a lot less fun) :D

WS6
12-11-08, 04:31

I am running:

Sabre Defence A4 rifle w/ 1/7 CL barrel

Vortex FH

T31 RCO A4 RCO ACOG w/ 4XDOS

Troy BUIS

KAC RAS M5 rail

KAC VFG

MIAD grip w/bolt-core

LT606 mount holding a SF 6P with a Z49 clicky, SF blue filter, and Malkoff Devices M60 LED

I have everything in hand except the dang rifle, lol. I wish Sabre would hurry, but good things take time!

You should be able to mount a fixed stock on any lower. As far as I know a lower is a lower is a lower (except for you lucky bastards with prototype Magpul lowers :rolleyes:, then it's a Lower.)

I departed some from the traditional "mil-spec" build to include all LaRue mounts, as well as changing the SF961XM07 for a 6P with Malkoff M60 setup. Same 225 torch lumens, but the Malkoff gives me literally 4.5x the run-time (at 1.5 hours) before dropping out of regulation (as compared to MN11 optional bulb, which has a run-time of 20 minutes on 3 CR123a's). It is also roughly 1/2 the weight and takes 1 battery less, so I guess it gives TECHNICALLY even longer theoretical run-time given supply. I also like the MIAD grip and Troy BUIS as opposed to the Matech and the A2 grip. All-in-all, I followed the Mil-spec A4 build up unto the point where I figure I could better it, and at that poit I departed and did so. Also, for all of you people who whine about Incan's rendering color better than an LED. Here is a picture I took with my camera-phone of a magazine page lit by my M60:

http://i34.tinypic.com/4gf8m.jpg

Note the even, "real" looking skin-tone as opposed to the "ashy" look most LED's render skin tones in. Also, the reds are very vivid and the white does not "silver" or "grey". Sorry, I am just a huge fan of the M60, the fact that it features it's electronics imbedded in epoxy only makes me feel more confident in it.

peabody
10-25-10, 11:25
i went with troy rails the drop in kind.

and a MI BUIS.

bushy government profile barrel' 1-7 twist' A1 stock' rock river lower n' two stage trigger.

''sweet'' :)

saving up for an ACOG.

peabody

Skyyr
10-25-10, 11:36

Can we use a different picture? That's not exactly safe for work...

peabody
10-25-10, 11:45
i honestly think the A4 will take over' carbines are history.

i love my A4.

:laugh:

peabody

outrider627
10-25-10, 11:46
i went with troy rails the drop in kind.

and a MI BUIS.

bushy government profile barrel' 1-7 twist' A1 stock' rock river lower n' two stage trigger.

''sweet'' :)

saving up for an ACOG.

peabody

Did you seriously dig up a 2 year old thread just to say what you have on the rifle?

JSantoro
10-25-10, 13:12
Peabody, check your PMs.

peabody
10-25-10, 13:44
Did you seriously dig up a 2 year old thread just to say what you have on the rifle?

theirs something wrong with that ?????????

peabody

JSantoro
10-25-10, 14:34
In a word, yes.

Posters are encouraged to post when they have something to say, not simply because they feel like saying something. You did the latter.

AND did it in a thread that's been dead for 2 years.

PLUS, you've now been counseled by other members, and by me, in public and in private, and continue to act oblivious.