PDA

View Full Version : LAPD selects FN 509 MRD-LE for new duty pistol

Slater
08-11-21, 19:33
Chalk up a sale for FN:

"During the LAPD handgun trials, FN competed against several contenders in a 20,000-round-count endurance qualification, which it surpassed with zero malfunctions. “Exceeding all of the requirements LAPD sought in their new duty pistol was a high-performance standard to meet,” said Chris Cole, Vice President, Sales and Marketing at FN America, LLC. “With over a million rounds fired in development, the FN 509’s reputation for durability is proven here again giving LAPD officers a superior handgun they can depend on in the most demanding policing environments.”

https://fnamerica.com/press-releases/los-angeles-police-department-lapd-selects-fn-509-mrd-le-as-new-duty-pistol/

Ron3
08-12-21, 09:53
Dont they allow several brands and caliber of pistols?

dwhitehorne
08-12-21, 13:14
Not sure how up to date this equipment list is but I wonder how many FN509 pistols will actually be in a use. David

https://www.lapdonline.org/lapd_equipment

call_me_ski
08-12-21, 14:18
Seems like they will be issued to new hires for the next 5 years. Those that want are free to buy personal guns from an approved list as well.

heyyouduh
08-13-21, 21:56
interesting, not a pistol I've seen very often in civilian or LE use in the US.

that list posted is interesting, I had read STI 2011s have been approved for LAPD SWAT. Have been thinking of buying one...

GNXII
08-15-21, 17:24
OMG those armorers must have there hands full with all those different types of semiauto pistols and revolvers ( no less!! ) never mind the myriad of rifles and shotguns. Forgot to add the LLPlatforms too!

Not sure how up to date this equipment list is but I wonder how many FN509 pistols will actually be in a use. David

https://www.lapdonline.org/lapd_equipment

Pappabear
08-17-21, 16:37
I thought there was an issue when those frames get real hot, they go Gumby effect and turn to mush. Is that still a thang?

PB

DirectTo
08-17-21, 16:44
I thought there was an issue when those frames get real hot, they go Gumby effect and turn to mush. Is that still a thang?
I believe that was just the FNX…haven’t seen anything regarding frame issues on the 509 aside from cracks when driving pins out.

Pappabear
08-17-21, 17:02
I believe that was just the FNX…haven’t seen anything regarding frame issues on the 509 aside from cracks when driving pins out.

Oh yes, copy that. I bet if FN halfway marketed these guns they would do well. I dont see much on them but read a few test where they faired quite well. I guess they are more mil contracts.

PB

HKGuns
08-17-21, 22:24
Now we know the answer to the most often asked question in the gun world.

Who exactly buys FN pistols?

HCM
08-22-21, 12:28

PB

That was true of prior FN guns like the FNP/FNX/FNS.

Not with the 509.

FN’s prior polymer guns had a lot of problems. FN finally woke up, brought in a team of people who actually knew service pistols and completely started over with a clean slate for the 509.

HCM
08-22-21, 12:34
Seems like they will be issued to new hires for the next 5 years. Those that want are free to buy personal guns from an approved list as well.

Correct.

When LAPD switches issued guns they do not transition the whole department.

Those happy with their Glocks, S&W, Berettas, 1911s, 2011s just keep on keeping on unless they want to buy the née hotness as a personally owned weapon.

The more interesting question is will LAPD be issuing the 509s with an optic and if so which one(s)?

titsonritz
08-22-21, 23:45
Available for law enforcement agencies only

Whatever. :rolleyes:

Duffy
08-23-21, 16:27
We'll be making RMR plates for it, probably ACRO plates as well.

call_me_ski
08-23-21, 16:49
For the gun or for the contract?

Duffy
08-23-21, 18:01
For the gun, LAPD didn't ask us to, we're taking the initiative. After seeing the modular arrangement and plastic plate construction, we know we can do better for a duty/issued gun.

call_me_ski
08-23-21, 18:04
Either way keep up the good work.

HCM
09-05-21, 01:15
https://www.police1.com/police-products/firearms/articles/inside-look-why-the-lapd-chose-the-fn-509-mrd-le-as-its-new-duty-weapon-p0U1x0A7c0gNUs1V/?fbclid=IwAR28BtUI6AZ0ek04e6_2ObmJc19d2kIJRjgukaBBkSQueiIoMtK9B18Xg58

This article provides more details of the LAPD testing process which resulted in the selection of the 509.

It’s interesting that in addition to duty and standard FMJ training amp, the test specifically included non toxic ammo. IME non toxic / frangible ammo is very hard on guns.

dwhitehorne
09-05-21, 07:01
You also have to make sure the green ammo you use will function in the guns you plan on buying. Years ago we had all 42 grain green training ammo for our DRMO M16A1s. We bought a batch of M4 to begin replacement of the M16s and all the training ammo (42gr) wouldn't cycle in the brand new carbines. Not something you want to find out after spending thousands on new weapons. David

ST911
09-05-21, 09:36
It’s interesting that in addition to duty and standard FMJ training amp, the test specifically included non toxic ammo. IME non toxic / frangible ammo is very hard on guns.

You also have to make sure the green ammo you use will function in the guns you plan on buying. Years ago we had all 42 grain green training ammo for our DRMO M16A1s. We bought a batch of M4 to begin replacement of the M16s and all the training ammo (42gr) wouldn't cycle in the brand new carbines. Not something you want to find out after spending thousands on new weapons. David

Nothing you guys don't already know, but for the benefit of others. Things that occur to me... I don't what LA has for green ranges or which skus they use. If I was buying that many guns though I'd sure test for it. LF primers can be quirky in striker guns, guns can be nearer functional threshold overall, and then there's breechface and FP tip erosion in some. If they're mounting optics and potentially giving them to IBOs, I'd look at that even harder.

gji14260
09-09-21, 15:44
I'll stick with Glock, why mess with perfection?????

Duffy
09-10-21, 11:15
The ambi mag catch is a great feature, it might feel weird at first. Ergonomics are good, I like it.

Pappabear
09-16-21, 19:38
Good on FN for winning a big one. FN has to be pretty good at sourcing big contracts and doing the whole spare parts armory challenge. I’d like to see them win some more and get some tier 1 guns in the market with proven track record. You can win a torcher test but when you issue thousands of guns and they keep working, that is when you earn your reputation.

PB

Vandal
09-21-21, 22:59
Glad to see a large agency realizing there is more to the duty gun market than Glock. I'd run my PDP full size at work over my G17.5 if I could get a Safariland 6360 RDS for it.

DaBigBR
09-22-21, 14:28
Glad to see a large agency realizing there is more to the duty gun market than Glock. I'd run my PDP full size at work over my G17.5 if I could get a Safariland 6360 RDS for it.

Have you looked at RDR Gear for their modded Safariland stuff? Jeff knows what he's doing.