PDA

View Full Version : Can I run a rifle buffer system on a midlength gas system?

FrankRochester
12-10-08, 17:28
Hi,

I live in NY and can't have the evil collapsing stock. I plan on putting a rifle length stock on my new build. Can I run the rifle length buffer system on a midlength gas system and get good reliability? Or do I have to run the full length gas system to get reliability?

Thanks

jmart
12-10-08, 17:59
No problem running a rifle buffer on a rifle mid-length gas system. Just ensure you pair the buffer with a rifle spring. I'm assuming you are running an A2 lower or something with a rifle receiver extension, correct?

FrankRochester
12-10-08, 18:09
Yup.. plan on running a A2 rifle length reciever extention and buffer. Just wanted to make sure that the mid-length gas system will run properly with it.

markm
12-10-08, 18:52
Rifle buffer and spring is the most reliable system you can run on any gas system. I run it on one of my 11.5" SBRs... somthing like an MP5ish creation inspired by Phil Hayes. It's the most reliable gun I own.

sjc3081
12-10-08, 20:42
Get a telescoping stock ,than set it as you wish, than drill and roll pin it fixed.

markm
12-11-08, 07:47
Yup.. plan on running a A2 rifle length reciever extention and buffer.

There is only one rifle receiver extention. The A2 simply uses a spacer behind it for the extra length.

If I had to have a fixed stock, I'd stick with the rifle buffer and spring without a doubt. I prefer the A1 length of pull however.

RogerinTPA
12-11-08, 07:56
I run the same set up on my recce (Colt Sporter lower with a Magpul PRS (or is it SPR???) stock, Sabre Defense middy upper) rifle buffer and spring. I chose the stock because I wanted something more robust and it is the same length as an A1 stock.

Robb Jensen
12-11-08, 07:58
Yes they run very nice with a rifle stock.

FrankRochester
12-11-08, 18:35
Thanks for the help guys... I was thinking of using a Vltor rifle modstock. Seems like it has more options as far as sling points, etc. Any opinions?

An Undocumented Worker
12-14-08, 10:27
This may be a noob question, but where can I find a faq or article pointing out the differences between carbine, midlength, and rifle gas systems and buffer tubes etc etc and how to tell what setup a gun has.

mark5pt56
12-14-08, 12:34
Thanks for the help guys... I was thinking of using a Vltor rifle modstock. Seems like it has more options as far as sling points, etc. Any opinions?

I have a middy like that, very smooth shooter.

I would like to see an A1 full stock with swivel cups on both sides and modular storage in the back portion. Similiar to the MIAD inserts, maybe two-three compartments.
I ran this by Magpul, no dice.

carbinero
12-14-08, 21:14
I've read the middy is more "forgiving" than the carbine with carbine buffers: the middy is said to run O.K. with stock or H buffer, whereas I've read here that the carbine gas system should be tuned with the H, or in some cases with H2...

Which leads me to ask, since I'm one of those "But Why?" guys...

Considering the rifle buffer is so much heavier than the carbine ones, WHY would an A2 be fine with either middy or carbine gas...with no reservation?

bkb0000
12-15-08, 03:21
I've read the middy is more "forgiving" than the carbine with carbine buffers: the middy is said to run O.K. with stock or H buffer, whereas I've read here that the carbine gas system should be tuned with the H, or in some cases with H2...

Which leads me to ask, since I'm one of those "But Why?" guys...

Considering the rifle buffer is so much heavier than the carbine ones, WHY would an A2 be fine with either middy or carbine gas...with no reservation?

well i dont remember pressure specifics for middies, but carbines with 16" barrels are a lot higher pressure than rifles- so the heavier rifle buffer doesn't hinder, it helps. i would imagine that a mid-length 16" is comparable pressure to rifle, as the hang time is about the same.

the farther the muzzle is from the gas port, the higher the pressure build up. middy's extend the gas port out closer to the muzzle, to more closely resemble a rifle-legnth system- which the platform was originally designed for.

bkb0000
12-15-08, 03:22
deja vu? i think this exact same topic s going on in a different thread right now

carbinero
12-15-08, 12:40
Thread trajectories sometimes go sideways, at which time they can deviate so far they're unrecognizable...

In any case, I'm up to speed on the specs for pressure and chamber-port-muzzle distance relationship, however I've read you can run TOO HEAVY of a buffer. Thus, it's not recommended to run an H3 or 9mm unless the use dictates it (?) However, the rifle buffer is much heavier than any of the carbine ones, so I'm specifically curious as to why you hear unanimously positive responses about using it.

Does it have something to do with the longer distance travelled by the buffer?

Robb Jensen
12-15-08, 12:52
Thread trajectories sometimes go sideways, at which time they can deviate so far they're unrecognizable...

In any case, I'm up to speed on the specs for pressure and chamber-port-muzzle distance relationship, however I've read you can run TOO HEAVY of a buffer. Thus, it's not recommended to run an H3 or 9mm unless the use dictates it (?) However, the rifle buffer is much heavier than any of the carbine ones, so I'm specifically curious as to why you hear unanimously positive responses about using it.

Does it have something to do with the longer distance travelled by the buffer?

Rifle buffers are 5.2oz (lighter than a H3 and 9mm), but rifles use weaker buffer springs than carbines.

carbinero
12-15-08, 13:00
Thank you!