PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody heard of any trouble with KAC trggers?

cz7
12-10-08, 19:54
Are the KAC trigger group have any troubles and breaking etc ?

Jager
12-10-08, 22:29
I've been shooting my SR-25 for ten years now, zero problems with the factory two stage match trigger.

cz7
12-11-08, 23:17
thank you ! for the reply !

sinister
12-11-08, 23:27
At the Army Marksmanship Unit we replaced several dozen for the 3rd Ranger Battalion at about 3,000 to 3,500 rounds (when we changed out their Special Purpose Rifle barrels).

Some lost their second stage.

The 3rd Infantry Division's Designated Marksman Rifles are tech inspected every time they return from Iraq. Most haven't had 500 rounds through them yet.

If I remember correctly (on 2006 return) one lost its second stage; one rifle got run over by a Bradley; one rifle was electrocuted and damaged beyond repair and had to be destroyed(?); and one was destroyed when its owner was killed by an IED. :(

LukeMacGillie
12-12-08, 06:26
Yes there are serious issues. There is a message out, which I do not have in front of me, to all SOF users saying no more adjustments and return to Depot for repair/replacement.

decodeddiesel
12-12-08, 09:53
Wow, 2 IPs responding consecutively to a question, both negatively.

Is there a proposed fix and or replacement in the pipe for the KAC units as a result of these issues? I can't imagine the higher ups would be too happy with a critical weapon component which demonstrates failure after only a few thousand or less rounds.

SHIVAN
12-12-08, 10:18
Yikes! Mine is doing Ok. I was aware of the adjustment screws backing off, and losing adjustment. I was not aware of the other issues.

I will keep an eye on mine.

Do our IP's know of a better replacement that has stood up to field use?

sinister
12-12-08, 12:21
The Ranger Battalion was told the solution was a new KAC trigger per new barrel (provided by Crane). That works out to roughly $250 per trigger per gun (not counting barrel and labor).

Geissele (USASOC) triggers have a phenomenal 150,000 - 250,000 test cycles on them before failing. You must replace standard GI hammer and trigger pins at approximately every 9,000 rounds as they break.

That's a pretty good return on investment.

Not sure what firing pins cycle at.

decodeddiesel
12-12-08, 12:29
The Ranger Battalion was told the solution was a new KAC trigger per new barrel (provided by Crane). That works out to roughly $250 per trigger per gun (not counting barrel and labor).

Geissele (USASOC) triggers have a phenomenal 150,000 - 250,000 test cycles on them before failing. You must replace standard GI hammer and trigger pins at approximately every 9,000 rounds as they break.

That's a pretty good return on investment.

Not sure what firing pins cycle at.

What is the life cycle on these SPR barrels? 3-3.5k rounds as you mentioned earlier with the Ranger's barrels?

Sorry for the Qs, but I got out before the 5.56 SPR/DMR stuff was trickling down to the 101st. We were using the M14s in Sage stocks in the DM roll when I got out...

BitBasher
12-12-08, 15:41
The adjustment pin on mine backed out often causing failures.

Solved with blue loctite. No problems since, but I don't have a huge number of rounds through it.