PDA

View Full Version : LMT M4 or Sig 556?

sewvacman
12-10-08, 20:17
I currently have a LMT m4 and am considering selling it for a sig 556 holo. I like the feel of both guns, one doesn't feel better than the other to me, they are both of equal quality IMO. The reasoning is, the Sig already has the gas piston system and the gun was [I]made[I] to use it. I would think that would make it more reliable. I was planning on getting both but it looks as though I will have to choose.
I would like some input. Am I wasting my time, am I mistaken? If the SHTF and both were sitting next to each other ready to go which would you pick up first?

BB01
12-10-08, 20:36
no question...I would keep the LMT.

Fire_Medic
12-10-08, 20:44
Another vote to keep the LMT!

sewvacman
12-10-08, 20:47
Any particular reason or am I just on the wrong forum?

12-10-08, 20:51
You're asking the M4 v. Sig556 on here? What kind of answer are you expecting? Sig?:D
I'd say the M4, not because it's the M4 site, but because I had the 556 before, and never really liked the way it felt. Also, it's a little heavy. If you ask me on the Sig forum, I'd tell you the same thing.:)

MBRMan
12-10-08, 20:55
Keep the M4...ther's absolutely no reason to believe it won't be just as reliable as the Sig. Has your LMT let you down?

MBR

User Name
12-10-08, 20:57
LMT hands down. Remember most classes are taught in a AR or AK format. Plus the parts.

kal
12-10-08, 21:01
If you can reach the sig556's mag release and don't mind the front end weight, go for the SIG.

You said they both feel no different from each other and you want a piston system as your reasoning, then why not?

You're right the sig556 was built ground up to have a durable operating system. Fixed ejector, big extractor, long stroke operation, no cotter pin or cam pin to lose, what's not to like?

If you don't mind its flaws then it sells its self.

Mr.Goodtimes
12-10-08, 21:20
The M4 is a reliable gun, keep it relatively clean and your gtg... granted yea, the sig can probably take more abuse (lack of cleaning, dirt, grime etc) however, an ar can take some abuse too. any weapon will malfunction if its dirty enough. i believe the ar 15 series is gods gift to the people of the united states to defend his ways, our freedom.

No weapon system is without flaws. I really love the ergonomics of the ar15, and the shear amount of parts and accessories available for them. If the shtf its gonna be way easier to get ar parts then sig 556 parts. Hell sig copied the 1911, my bet is next theyll make an m4 next. I would buy american. DI has some advantages... lighter weight, all in all the ar15 is a really simple weapon. Lightweight, accurate, ergonomic, reliable, and flexible.

Ed L.
12-10-08, 21:24
I would not sell an LMT M4 to finance a SIG556.

Honu
12-10-08, 21:43
I would get the sig but keep your LMT just so you can be happy and have both

but I would keep the LMT and not get rid of it ! why you will ask ??

lets see how many people are just running to dump their M4 types for the sig ? I dont see it there are those that love the sig but I have read on some forums that people have tried them and give valid reasons for not liking them vs the M4 type

to me the Sig is something to have as a dif gun along side others not as a main ? thats just me though :)

kal
12-10-08, 21:46
The only legit reason for not going with the sig is because of parts. But.......if you already have another AR, then it's sig time:D

Seriously though, what the hell could break in the sig's operating system? LOL:p

On the subject of modularity, I think it may be over blown.

What makes an ar15 rifle more modular than any other rifle? The sig has a flat top receiver, and it has a railed forearm. What else could you possibly want? Maybe a different stock but that's all I can see.

Look at the Ak after market, there's everything you could ever want. Different stocks for better cheek welds, railed forearms, picatinny rails for the russian style mount on the left side of AK receivers so you can use picatinny compatible optics.

The ar15's modularity is over blown I tell ya.

crusader377
12-10-08, 21:55
I would definitely keep the LMT over the Sig 556. Also, even though the Sig 556 has a gas piston system, it does not mean that it is a more reliable rifle than the LMT. LMT rifles have been extensively tested in combat over the last several years and have proven to be very dependable and durable rifles. In contrast, I don't believe that the Sig has been extensively tested in real combat conditions and therefore I think it would be very premature to assume that the SIG is a more reliable and durable weapon.

sewvacman
12-11-08, 08:07
Now that's what I was looking for. Good solid reasons to do absolutely nothing. I should bring you guys to work with me. Thanks for your replies. I'll keep the LMT, and later on down the line when we have a majority of gun lovers in DC to overturn the AWB I'll get a more perfected, battle tested Sig.
Thanks Again

bgoode
12-11-08, 08:52
you can work on the LMT M4 yourself. Cant work on the SIG I'd imagine.

Ricardus
12-11-08, 09:14
If it was a bushmaster, I'd trade it:D
Hold on to your LMT.

markm
12-11-08, 09:25
The sig is a goofball rifle. I did a whole write up on it's shortfalls compared to the AR.

GFW
12-11-08, 09:34
We have had several officers purchase these. Nothing but problems. One had the bolt handle reatining clip snap in half after one, yes, one round. The broken piece fell into the lower receiver locking up the trigger.
There are some fleas with this rifle.

No.6
12-11-08, 09:52
Nah, LMT is past it's prime. Sell it. Time to move onto something newer than 40+ year old technology. PM me, I've got someone who wants to purchase it.

;)

teufeldog
12-11-08, 12:59
I asked myself that question a few weeks ago. I went with LMT. :D

Gunrider
12-11-08, 13:11
LMT. The sig is like a feathered fish.
It's nowhere near the original SIG 550
They admit is trying to be a SIG M-4 --
So go with a real one.
LMT

mat10x
12-11-08, 17:21
The sig is a goofball rifle. I did a whole write up on it's shortfalls compared to the AR.

where might one find this write up?

Aries144
12-16-08, 23:19
ghjkl

stormblue
12-16-08, 23:24
I have a 556. I wish I had 3K of XM193 instead. :(

SmokeGlider
12-17-08, 01:20
I checked out the Sig before buying my LMT. I wanted a gas piston but liked the flexibility of the MRP. Parts availability/interchangeability was a consideration too. The Sig also felt off balance compared to the LMT...kind of front-heavy. I suspect either weapon would work well in the field but the LMT has a reputation for being a solid working gun, and I wanted something that would hold up to rough handling and be reliable. I'm not at all disappointed.

Buck
12-18-08, 23:55
Everyone needs a M4ish carbine in their inventory, but the Sig 55X rifles are really a great system too...

Just my .02

B

ryno_the_wyno
12-19-08, 02:26
I have 3 Sig 556's in various configurations, as well as a gaggle of AR's. In terms of reliability/durability, I would asses them as being roughly even. Both are extremely reliable 5.56x45mm systems that have a battle proven lineage.

Its hardly fair to say"pick the LMT because its battle proven and the Sig isn't". Thats not accurate at all...The overwhelming majority of M16 types being used globally are Colt or Diemaco. The next runners up? DPMS and Bushmaster both have been awarded multiple foriegn military contracts. LMT's involvement with the Mk18 and other projects is pretty small compared to all the Colts/Diemaco/Bushmasters being used in actual combat/battle by foriegn militaries. While they both have a military lineage, both the LMT and Sig 556 are best described as "civilian para-military rifles". Neither, in its availible form, is "battle tested".

The Sig 55x's battle history isn't exactly extensive, especially when compared to more established guns like the M16, FNC or Galil. The most commonly encountered variant is the 552, which recent "hard use" in the GWOT has proven to be fundamentally flawed. This has since been remedied by the adoption of the 553, which uses a more 551-ish operating system. 551's are also occasionally countered and 550 Sniper's were also seen sparingly, but by and large it was the 552 that was adopted. US SOCOM purchased around 1200 552's along with H&K G36CE and G36KE's to be used as alternatives to the Mk18 as a suppressor host.
While the 552 slipped by with a design flaw, the 550/551/556/553 all share a common system that has been time tested. These variants have flirted with large-scale adoption by the SAS and others, but overall thier cost/weight/support figures were way out of line. So, no matter how nice/accurate/reliable they might be, that doesn't mean they are the most appropriate choice. Good enough absolutely applies when you are considering a combat rifle...

Also consider methods of operation. The DI vs op-rod fiasco that gun rags and forums promote doesn't really apply to civilians. A civilian with a nice DI gun*Like a LMT* will have a weapon with maximum reliability. If your LMT works 100% of the time, and most do, what advantage is their to adopt/purchase/maintain superlative parts? The only time an op-rod gun has a definate advantage over a DI gun is when you are dealing with supressed SBR's. Short of that, so long as you have quality weapons, you won't see any difference in terms of reliability... Even if one may be "better on paper or in theory"...

While you can "work on" and repair your Sig 556, I can't think of many guns that are as "lego-ey" as the AR15. Most military weapons cannot have a barrel swapped with relative ease, so the AR is very much an exception in this reguard. You need an engineering degree to put a barrel on a G3,MP5, AK or Sig 55x. Thats certainly not a slight, it just means its not extraordinary like the AR. The Sig 55x has been around a long time, which means parts/components are more or less, readily avalible. I, like many enthusiastic Sig 556 owners, have received several shipments from Switzerland. Even Gunbroker regularly sells critical components as does Sig Sauer USA. For the record, bolts/carriers/many other components of the 556 are completely interchangible with the original Sig/Swiss Arms 55x series, except for the 552.

Obviously, parts for the AR are way more availible. But then again, how often are you breaking bolts/carriers? The correct answer is next to never. If you have a complete LMT/Colt BCG and a spare, you are set for life. The same could be said of the guy who has a spare BCG for his Sig 556.

Its very much a matter of personal preference as both are equal performers. Both have their own ideosyncracies and drawbacks. I wouldn't want to be without an AR carbine, but I wouldn't want to be without my Sigs eiether. AR's aren't going anywhere, no matter what people at the gunstore tell you. Even if some type of ban got introduced, its not coming any time soon. Just because something is introduced doesn't mean that it will be passed. For those of you who didn't graduate HS, the president doesn't get to "ban assault rifles" just because he wants. This latest hysteria is crazy and the people who have a closet full or receivers are going to feel stupid when this blows over....With that in mind, you can always get another AR if you decide to. It cost me under 1k to build my last LMT. If you get the Sig 556, you could easily trade/sell it for an AR later on at your leisure, due to its increased value.

gtmtnbiker98
12-19-08, 07:30
I have 3 Sig 556's in various configurations, as well as a gaggle of AR's. In terms of reliability/durability, I would asses them as being roughly even. Both are extremely reliable 5.56x45mm systems that have a battle proven lineage.

Its hardly fair to say"pick the LMT because its battle proven and the Sig isn't". Thats not accurate at all...The overwhelming majority of M16 types being used globally are Colt or Diemaco. The next runners up? DPMS and Bushmaster both have been awarded multiple foriegn military contracts. LMT's involvement with the Mk18 and other projects is pretty small compared to all the Colts/Diemaco/Bushmasters being used in actual combat/battle by foriegn militaries. While they both have a military lineage, both the LMT and Sig 556 are best described as "civilian para-military rifles". Neither, in its availible form, is "battle tested".

The Sig 55x's battle history isn't exactly extensive, especially when compared to more established guns like the M16, FNC or Galil. The most commonly encountered variant is the 552, which recent "hard use" in the GWOT has proven to be fundamentally flawed. This has since been remedied by the adoption of the 553, which uses a more 551-ish operating system. 551's are also occasionally countered and 550 Sniper's were also seen sparingly, but by and large it was the 552 that was adopted. US SOCOM purchased around 1200 552's along with H&K G36CE and G36KE's to be used as alternatives to the Mk18 as a suppressor host.
While the 552 slipped by with a design flaw, the 550/551/556/553 all share a common system that has been time tested. These variants have flirted with large-scale adoption by the SAS and others, but overall thier cost/weight/support figures were way out of line. So, no matter how nice/accurate/reliable they might be, that doesn't mean they are the most appropriate choice. Good enough absolutely applies when you are considering a combat rifle...

Also consider methods of operation. The DI vs op-rod fiasco that gun rags and forums promote doesn't really apply to civilians. A civilian with a nice DI gun*Like a LMT* will have a weapon with maximum reliability. If your LMT works 100% of the time, and most do, what advantage is their to adopt/purchase/maintain superlative parts? The only time an op-rod gun has a definate advantage over a DI gun is when you are dealing with supressed SBR's. Short of that, so long as you have quality weapons, you won't see any difference in terms of reliability... Even if one may be "better on paper or in theory"...

While you can "work on" and repair your Sig 556, I can't think of many guns that are as "lego-ey" as the AR15. Most military weapons cannot have a barrel swapped with relative ease, so the AR is very much an exception in this reguard. You need an engineering degree to put a barrel on a G3,MP5, AK or Sig 55x. Thats certainly not a slight, it just means its not extraordinary like the AR. The Sig 55x has been around a long time, which means parts/components are more or less, readily avalible. I, like many enthusiastic Sig 556 owners, have received several shipments from Switzerland. Even Gunbroker regularly sells critical components as does Sig Sauer USA. For the record, bolts/carriers/many other components of the 556 are completely interchangible with the original Sig/Swiss Arms 55x series, except for the 552.

Obviously, parts for the AR are way more availible. But then again, how often are you breaking bolts/carriers? The correct answer is next to never. If you have a complete LMT/Colt BCG and a spare, you are set for life. The same could be said of the guy who has a spare BCG for his Sig 556.

Its very much a matter of personal preference as both are equal performers. Both have their own ideosyncracies and drawbacks. I wouldn't want to be without an AR carbine, but I wouldn't want to be without my Sigs eiether. AR's aren't going anywhere, no matter what people at the gunstore tell you. Even if some type of ban got introduced, its not coming any time soon. Just because something is introduced doesn't mean that it will be passed. For those of you who didn't graduate HS, the president doesn't get to "ban assault rifles" just because he wants. This latest hysteria is crazy and the people who have a closet full or receivers are going to feel stupid when this blows over....With that in mind, you can always get another AR if you decide to. It cost me under 1k to build my last LMT. If you get the Sig 556, you could easily trade/sell it for an AR later on at your leisure, due to its increased value.

You ought to be a gun write, that is one of the best gun forum postings I've read in a loooong time!

variablebinary
12-19-08, 07:38
The SIG 556 is built to some of the worst standards I've ever seen from a major firearms maker. These arent Swiss standards; dont let the name on the side fool you

The materials, build quality and QC are so inconsistant that many people are constantly encountering bizarre problems. Then you have the wretched ergos to contend with

Like so...

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll80/1Lovepics/DSC01430.jpg

I'd get the LMT personally.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-19-08, 12:16
Between the LMT and the SIG I would buy a Colt.:D If you need a piston there are always bargain priced 416 uppers out there for your SBR full auto needs.