PDA

View Full Version : Are U.S. gun deaths disproportionately high?

Warp
08-18-21, 18:30
User jsbhike thinks they are.

More science on firearms from Harvard.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news/us-gun-deaths-high/

Thoughts?

I think I'd start by review of the source by wondering why they picked "gun deaths" and not "homicides" to compare, or suicides vs suicides, and why they left out defensive gun uses.

DG23
08-18-21, 18:34
So far, None of my guns have ever died.

I DO have a few I am trying my best to kill but they keep hanging in there somehow...

:)

Warp
08-18-21, 18:45
So far, None of my guns have ever died.

I DO have a few I am trying my best to kill but they keep hanging in there somehow...

:)

Salt water breaks all

SteyrAUG
08-18-21, 20:11
Are we calling other members out? I strongly suspect that quote is loaded with sarcasm.

Warp
08-18-21, 20:14
Are we calling other members out? I strongly suspect that quote is loaded with sarcasm.

We were attempting to avoid dragging a thread completely off topic to the detriment of the originally intended topic.

But, alas, it appears the intent was to take said thread off topic as a diversion.

docsherm
08-18-21, 20:42

Thoughts?

I think I'd start by review of the source by wondering why they picked "gun deaths" and not "homicides" to compare, or suicides vs suicides, and why they left out defensive gun uses.

73% of all statistics are made up 68% of the time.

:rolleyes:

lowprone
08-18-21, 20:43
Figures don't lie, but Liars figure !

Warp
08-18-21, 20:45

The real key is understanding exactly what the statistic represents. And does not.

"Gun deaths" being isolated for example, of course the country that effectively banned and eradicated basically all privately owned guns will have fewer "gun deaths", but if they are committing homicide at the same rate, what's the difference? And of course it includes suicide by gun, but again, comparing suicide "with a gun" instead of just comparing suicides...it becomes easy to tear apart statistics even if they are technically accurate. Such are the games antis play

TAZ
08-18-21, 20:48
Focusing on gun deaths is like focusing on chest pain death. Much like the pain, guns arent killing people. Repeat deuchebag criminals who aren’t adequately punished for their crimes are.

Eliminate all the deaths caused by repeat criminal offenders then lets see those numbers.

DG23
08-18-21, 21:01
but again, comparing suicide "with a gun" instead of just comparing suicides...it becomes easy to tear apart statistics even if they are technically accurate. Such are the games antis play

Is that not really, really similar to here recently where ALL deaths were counted towards the Covid if you tested positive regardless of if it actually killed you or not?

Example: The guy that crashed his motorcycle into the back of a truck, while drunk, and speeding, with no helmet... BUT he tested positive for the Rona so it gets 'counted' as a Rona death.

Such are the games a lot of groups play...

Warp
08-18-21, 21:07
Is that not really, really similar to here recently where ALL deaths were counted towards the Covid if you tested positive regardless of if it actually killed you or not?

Example: The guy that crashed his motorcycle into the back of a truck, while drunk, and speeding, with no helmet... BUT he tested positive for the Rona so it gets 'counted' as a Rona death.

Such are the games a lot of groups play...

I was not aware a motorcycle death is in the official covid 19 count. Link?

But, yeah, it would qualify as misleading to categorize "with covid" lumping all together whether or not covid was a direct contributing factor. That does get complicated, a reasonable effort of course has to be made for anything to be worthwhile.

Then again the old "but the flu" comparison, we officially tally annual flu deaths without so much as testing most of those "flu deaths' to see if they even had flue, we literally take estimates and multiply them by estimates to decide how many flu deaths there were...imagine if we did that with covid it'd probably be in the millions now lol...so at least testing all individuals for it may be more accurate than what we are used to doing for other diseases

seb5
08-18-21, 21:08
Well since we own a huge proportion of civilian owned weapons in the world, because of, even now, many more liberties, it makes since that we have more "gun deaths". At the end of the day our freedoms cost.

jsbhike
08-18-21, 21:27

But, yeah, it would qualify as misleading to categorize "with covid" lumping all together whether or not covid was a direct contributing factor. That does get complicated, a reasonable effort of course has to be made for anything to be worthwhile.

Then again the old "but the flu" comparison, we officially tally annual flu deaths without so much as testing most of those "flu deaths' to see if they even had flue, we literally take estimates and multiply them by estimates to decide how many flu deaths there were...imagine if we did that with covid it'd probably be in the millions now lol...so at least testing all individuals for it may be more accurate than what we are used to doing for other diseases

The 20 year old guy in the motorcycle wreck that got listed as a covid death happened in Florida. Allegedly it got changed to a vehicular accident after a news crew cornered the medical examiner for details about the 20 year old's medical history and the ME rather sheepishly mentioned it was a motorcycle wreck. Similar game got played in a western state with a alcohol poisoning case.

That being said, here is the Illinois health head stating that is exactly how they were tallying up the covid deaths.

https://week.com/2020/04/20/idph-director-explains-how-covid-deaths-are-classified/

jsbhike
08-18-21, 21:34
We were attempting to avoid dragging a thread completely off topic to the detriment of the originally intended topic.

But, alas, it appears the intent was to take said thread off topic as a diversion.

Nothing of the sort. I simply shared information on firearms put out by several health care oriented groups since their info is typically claimed to be beyond reproach.

utahjeepr
08-18-21, 21:36
Well, to stay on topic (and not calling any members out) I would say yes. American gun violence statistics are disproportionately high. I don't have the stats at hand to prove it one way or another, but that is the general sense I get from what stats I have seen comparing other developed nations. I also don't believe there is much dissent on that narrow topic. Where there is great dissent is on why and what to do about it. Now as to violent crime as a whole, I believe there is less disparity between us and our peers. I'm ready to admit I am wrong on that point though.

Certainly part of the problem is the biasing of the data by parties with an agenda. "...lies, damn lies, and statistics"

Facts can be inconvenient things, (and no i dId not intentionally mean to paraphrase Gore, oops). Guns are used to commit a large amount of violent crime in America. As a staunch supporter of the 2nd Ammendment I find that fact to be very inconvenient. However, it does me no service to ignore or deny it. The opposition on the other hand loves to ignore facts that do not fit their agenda. Black men, 6.5% of the population, comprise 50% of murderers. That is a fact that is never voiced. Does that mean we should "ban" black men? Of course not. Most black men, like most white men, are NOT violent criminals. I'm just trying to point out that unless you are guided solely by facts you will never even identify the problem, let alone solve it.

Blaming an inanimate object for the faults of men is an exercise in futility. Great Britain has a near universal prohibition of firearms, violence continues. Now they are banning knives. The violence continues. How long before Brits are forced to slurp their food from the ground like stray dogs because cutlery, silverware, and household china are all considered too dangerous for the common man?

To my knowledge prohibition has a track record hovering right at about 0%. Violent crime is ILLEGAL. How does it keep happening? Drugs are ILLEGAL. But anyone who wants them can get them. Laws don't stop anything. Enforcing them does.

The root problem is certainly beyond me to solve, and beyond the scope of this forum. I don't even believe it can be solved entirely. But until all sides are willing to knuckle down and get to the bottom of it, no real progress can be made.

Of course you all already know all of that. Just as you all know "gun control" isn't really about guns at all. I just had to make a really long post so I could come off like a pompous windbag. ;) Maybe I should run for public office. :p

Screwball
08-18-21, 21:38

George Floyd is a COVID statistic…

You can get hit by a bus, die in route to the hospital, test positive for COVID… and you are now a COVID statistic. Sad, but gives the hospital more funds when it is reported as such. Wonder what this entire thing would be if that wasn’t the case?

And even though that isn’t remotely about gun deaths… apply that logic to them. Funny how things like that work out. [emoji41]

SteyrAUG
08-18-21, 21:53

So much for SME. Everyone knows it's 87%.

SteyrAUG
08-18-21, 21:56
Well since we own a huge proportion of civilian owned weapons in the world, because of, even now, many more liberties, it makes since that we have more "gun deaths". At the end of the day our freedoms cost.

And despite that we will still never approach death by swimming pools or automobiles. Hell I bet if we culled "cell phone distracted" auto deaths that would still be higher than firearm related deaths.

chadbag
08-18-21, 22:12
"Gun Deaths" does not mean anything. As soon as someone starts talking about "Gun Deaths", it is time to close the conversation off, and tell that person that "guns don't die", neither do "guns go out and kill people." Guns are inanimate objects and do not cause anything.

jsbhike
08-18-21, 22:17
"Gun Deaths" does not mean anything. As soon as someone starts talking about "Gun Deaths", it is time to close the conversation off, and tell that person that "guns don't die", neither do "guns go out and kill people." Guns are inanimate objects and do not cause anything.

Just to be clear it isn't a "that person" as insinuated in the opening post. For background:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?231535-And-your-COVID-booster-shot-(9-21)/page6

SteyrAUG
08-18-21, 22:28
Pretty sure everyone here is aware of the following:

Gun statistics generally include the following:

1. Suicides
2. Criminal use / gang activity
3. Lawful defensive shootings
4. Lawful police shootings (which is rather a new one but it does jazz up the numbers).

Once you pull those numbers, accidental shootings are about as rare as unintentional death from consuming soft drinks.

chadbag
08-18-21, 23:20
Just to be clear it isn't a "that person" as insinuated in the opening post. For background:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?231535-And-your-COVID-booster-shot-(9-21)/page6

I wasn't referring specifically to the person quoted in the .0

I was referring generically to anyone who tries to talk about "gun deaths." We should refuse to even allow it to be a conversation. There is no such thing as a "gun death."

C-grunt
08-18-21, 23:26
Florida has 10 times the amount of drownings every year as Arizona. Does Florida have a water problem or does the fact that a much higher amount of a thing lead to more incidents involving that thing?

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-19-21, 00:06

One of these days I’m going to sit down and put the numbers together based on the number of guns to the number of deaths. I’m pretty sure what you would prove there is that our guns here have a much lower propensity to kill then guns in other countries. Besides that look at those countries that they chose namely the UK and Australia. And they probably are too dumb to realize how ironic it is to use France, when the largest mass shooting in people and geography happened with illegal automatic weapons in Paris, and when they couldn’t use a gun they use the panel truck down in southern France.

Just reading the summary from the link, if we are 80% of the gun deaths but only half the population of our country in the one of the state, I bet you we have 90 to 95% of the guns.

THCDDM4
08-19-21, 00:46
First and foremost- NONE of the stats actually matter, screw ‘em, I’ll take liberty and danger over slavery and safety 100% of the time, so it’s a total non starter for me.

Secondly- if you break down the deaths as Styer did above and then further extrapolate the criminal/gang related deaths- you can waddle it down to not only a few zip codes where it’s like 90% of those deaths occur, you can waddle it down further to a few intersections within those zip codes!!!

Lastly- we literally have more guns than people in the USA.

If guns and access to guns is truly as big of a problem as is posited by every anti gun group- the reality would be more like gun deaths numbering in the millions each year, easily!

But that isn’t the case. In fact using that logic and exact argument turned on it’s face- I’d posit that we have the absolute fewest gun deaths in the world given the amount and ease of access to them is so proportionally high compared to # of deaths- correct the statistics to leave out LEO shootings, suicides and legitimate defense- and that makes the case even stronger.

I’m not trying to stop people from getting a pool in their backyard- more kids die from drowning in pools than from guns each year.

Hell, if liberal judges in the most anti gun areas would just enforce the laws on the books regarding firearm possession during commission of a crime that would actually make a big dent in gun deaths each year- those are the people killing people with guns, criminals committing crimes with guns.

Those shit head judges drop the firearm charges, let the criminals go on probation a million times and the cycle repeats until they use the gun during the commission of a crime or a rival criminal shoots it out with them.

I’m actually a look on the bright side kind of guy- I’d rather these mental cases who snap choose guns over Molotov cocktails and strategically chained doors or explosives- guns are not nearly as efficient at mass murder as explosives are.

titsonritz
08-19-21, 01:10
Once you pull those numbers, accidental shootings are about as rare as unintentional death from consuming soft drinks.

Although the selfie crowd is mounting a challenge to those numbers.

SteyrAUG
08-19-21, 02:27
Lastly- we literally have more guns than people in the USA.

If guns and access to guns is truly as big of a problem as is posited by every anti gun group- the reality would be more like gun deaths numbering in the millions each year, easily!

Yep, if even 10% of gun owners went off the rails once a day, it would be Somalia every day...all day long. Chicago is trying really, really hard but honestly even they aren't beating swimming pools.

davidjinks
08-19-21, 06:17
If anyone believes any of the stats put out by the BS liberals in this country; I have a bridge to sell you.

Humans die all day every day from a whole myriad of things. The real question is: Why do they only focus on firearms?

When was the last time you saw a lawsuit against Jack Daniels? Alcohol kills more people in this country than firearms. Hell, I can go and buy CASES of booze and no one blinks an eye. Try to buy a case of guns, see where that gets you. Yes, that was sarcasm in regards to a case of guns, but it still stands.

davidjinks
08-19-21, 06:17
Is it possible to turn Chicago into a swimming pool? Asking for a friend……….

Yep, if even 10% of gun owners went off the rails once a day, it would be Somalia every day...all day long. Chicago is trying really, really hard but honestly even they aren't beating swimming pools.

Warp
08-19-21, 06:23
Florida has 10 times the amount of drownings every year as Arizona. Does Florida have a water problem or does the fact that a much higher amount of a thing lead to more incidents involving that thing?

ha, that's basically the thought process I have every time somebody spouts off a "statistic" about shark attack probability

Disciple
08-19-21, 12:24
Secondly- if you break down the deaths as Styer did above and then further extrapolate the criminal/gang related deaths- you can waddle it down to not only a few zip codes where it’s like 90% of those deaths occur, you can waddle it down further to a few intersections within those zip codes!!!

Waddle or whittle? (Auto-correct, or new figure of speech?)

WillBrink
08-19-21, 13:02

Thoughts?

It's like this: someone will have to take a deep dive into their data to see how they derived their conclusions, and see if they hold water. That takes time, and energy. I have not even looked to see if anyone has as of yet. I didn't even read the study. It states "The U.S. firearm homicide rate is 25 times higher than in other high-income countries, and the firearm suicide rate is eight times higher, according to a new study."

My true answer is, correct or not, I don't care nor does it change my positions on anything, so can't be bothered to even asses the accuracy.

Freedom aint free, it comes with costs, those may be the costs. In light of the fact that statically speaking you're far likely to be murdered by your own government than any foreign military or criminal, that's a cost worth accepting, even giving benefit of the doubt the study results are accurate and relevant.

Warp
08-19-21, 13:09
It's like this: someone will have to take a deep dive into their data to see how they derived their conclusions, and see if they hold water. That takes time, and energy. I have not even looked to see if anyone has as of yet. I didn't even read the study. It states "The U.S. firearm homicide rate is 25 times higher than in other high-income countries, and the firearm suicide rate is eight times higher, according to a new study."

My true answer is, correct or not, I don't care nor does it change my positions on anything, so can't be bothered to even asses the accuracy.

Freedom aint free, it comes with costs, those may be the costs. In light of the fact that statically speaking you're far likely to be murdered by your own government than any foreign military or criminal, that's a cost worth accepting, even giving benefit of the doubt the study results are accurate and relevant.

The longer answer, elevator speech: It is true, no it doesn't matter and doesn't justify gun control, but also, it doesn't matter because it's not an apt comparison as violent crimes and homicides and suicides happen in the other countries too, just without guns because they don't have them...and also, it completely ignores the other side of the scale, the defensive gun uses of which even the CDC study says far outweigh illegal uses. And the data regarding gun ownership, grip rates, changes in carry laws, etc, all say that less gun control in the US directly results in less violent crime. But, even if the opposite was true, it still wouldn't justify infringements.

And yes, that's the bottom line people freak out about, governments are by FAR and away the real mass murderers. But the libs who want gun control seem to trust our current and any future government implicitly. lol

WillBrink
08-19-21, 13:13
The longer answer, elevator speech: It is true, no it doesn't matter and doesn't justify gun control, but also, it doesn't matter because it's not an apt comparison as violent crimes and homicides and suicides happen in the other countries too, just without guns because they don't have them...and also, it completely ignores the other side of the scale, the defensive gun uses of which even the CDC study says far outweigh illegal uses. And the data regarding gun ownership, grip rates, changes in carry laws, etc, all say that less gun control in the US directly results in less violent crime. But, even if the opposite was true, it still wouldn't justify infringements.

And yes, that's the bottom line people freak out about, governments are by FAR and away the real mass murderers. But the libs who want gun control seem to trust our current and any future government implicitly. lol

Conclusion: No four words in all human history has lead to the death of more people than "It Can't Happen Here"

chuckman
08-19-21, 13:20
Ugh, I hate this type of argument. It's akin to the "every 'n' seconds someone dies of...." argument.

My city had four shooting last night; one of whom died. Generally we have about 4 shootings a week. Sounds like a bad city. But 99% of shootings occur in the same 10-square-block area. Outside of that area, your chances of being shot are almost nil.

Wanna guess the type of neighborhoods in that 10-square-block area?

rocsteady
08-19-21, 13:41
It's very difficult to take any study or article seriously that compares America to almost any other country for crime in general as we have more large cities than any other place on Earth (way more cities that have populations in excess of 250,000 people). Take away just a few of the largest, (democrat controlled) cities like Detroit, Chicago, New Orleans and DC and our violent crime and crime committed with firearms numbers and percentages per 100,000 population, drop tremendously.

How to fix it? I would imagine it's similar around the country to what we experience in Philadelphia. Violent crime is committed in areas where the authorities, namely the people responsible for prosecuting violent crime and putting people behind bars, are very hesitant to do that particular thing with any sort of finality. Proof? How many times do you see someone arrested for a violent crime, including one committed with a firearm, and find out it's their first arrest for a violent crime? Not to derail the thread at all but the most prominent in memory, Saint Floyd/Jacob Blake/Michael Brown, etc all seem to turn out to be career criminals with massive rap sheets and multiple violent felonies on their records. Here in Phila, they are arrested and just turned back out onto the streets, often with very minimal time served. Want to see a reduction in this sort of violence? Put more police on the streets and put people away when they're arrested for violent crime, with or without a firearm.

Hank6046
08-19-21, 13:43
Ugh, I hate this type of argument. It's akin to the "every 'n' seconds someone dies of...." argument.
Wanna guess the type of neighborhoods in that 10-square-block area?

Starbucks, Antropologie, Trader Joe's, Art Gallery's etc.???

I agree with you, from John Lott, Nicholas Johnson and even very liberal Jennifer Carlson point out the social economical issues with "gun violence", and I'm pretty sure that there was a study in 2014 or so that pointed out that 80% of gun deaths are connected to the drug war.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-19-21, 13:45
They love these ‘studies’ because the only answer is to get rid of guns. We are probably heading towards the worst gun laws in the country here in CO, but it was funny to see that the Denver PD released a whole thing about how ten intersections are the places that drive most of the shootings.

So is it the gun, or the intersection?

The left likes to break it down to states. As if Cairo, IL is Cabrini Green…

Me, I’d like to see them do more ‘research’ on guns, I can use Excel and a map too…. I love playing with data.

Tony617
08-19-21, 14:09
Don’t most studies include suicides as well when count their data instead of actual homicides?

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-19-21, 14:15
Don’t most studies include suicides as well when count their data instead of actual homicides?

Keeps the totals higher.
Makes your home even ‘less safe’.
They use stat tricks to say that these people wouldn’t have killed themselves if not for guns.
Helps to get high numbers for rural areas.

chuckman
08-19-21, 14:23
They love these ‘studies’ because the only answer is to get rid of guns. We are probably heading towards the worst gun laws in the country here in CO, but it was funny to see that the Denver PD released a whole thing about how ten intersections are the places that drive most of the shootings.

So is it the gun, or the intersection?

The left likes to break it down to states. As if Cairo, IL is Cabrini Green…

Me, I’d like to see them do more ‘research’ on guns, I can use Excel and a map too…. I love playing with data.

Yes, that is the conclusion they draw. Yet if you frame it regarding deaths from other means, car accidents, you don't hear an outcry over banning or getting rid of cars. Definitely agenda driven.

Or don't like cars? Look at the number of deeaths caused by obesity. Where is the outcry to ban fast food?

Warp
08-19-21, 14:27
Conclusion: No four words in all human history has lead to the death of more people than "It Can't Happen Here"

IDK, how about, "I'm from the government?" Or "I'm here to help"

lol tomato tomahto. I kinda cheated and divided an 8 by half but, yeah.

It's like the inevitable interviews of neighbors after a major crime in some neighborhood "that kind of thing doesn't happen here". News flash, it just did

Warp
08-19-21, 14:29
Yes, that is the conclusion they draw. Yet if you frame it regarding deaths from other means, car accidents, you don't hear an outcry over banning or getting rid of cars. Definitely agenda driven.

Or don't like cars? Look at the number of deeaths caused by obesity. Where is the outcry to ban fast food?

The thing with fast food is, you and you alone choose to consume it, there are no others drawn into it whatsoever, all these other examples, there are.

And, fast food doesn't make you fat, or obese. It's all about total calories in vs out. You can eat fast food exclusively and have the build of a competitive marathon runner.

But that's not generally how it turns out lol

marco.g
08-19-21, 15:08
Thanks to the way the insurance system and subsidized healthcare works - these people (unhealthy/obese/whatever) do have an impact on everyone else’s premiums and healthcare costs as a whole.

And I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s just calories in vs out. A grass fed ribeye is going to be way better for you than a Big Mac plain and simple.

chuckman
08-19-21, 15:21
The thing with fast food is, you and you alone choose to consume it, there are no others drawn into it whatsoever, all these other examples, there are.

And, fast food doesn't make you fat, or obese. It's all about total calories in vs out. You can eat fast food exclusively and have the build of a competitive marathon runner.

But that's not generally how it turns out lol

Point being, obesity kills more people than COVID and guns combined, but you don't see many people calling for legislating fast food, junk food, soda, etc., out of existence. Hell, you can't even legislate buying 'good' food and not crap with food stamps. But guns, different story.

Warp
08-19-21, 15:34
Thanks to the way the insurance system and subsidized healthcare works - these people (unhealthy/obese/whatever) do have an impact on everyone else’s premiums and healthcare costs as a whole.

And I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s just calories in vs out. A grass fed ribeye is going to be way better for you than a Big Mac plain and simple.

I didn't speak to overall health, just obesity, as that's what was mentioned. I didn't say you'd be able to run a competitive marathon only eating fast food, just that you could have that build. ;)

Bodyweight is calories in vs calories out.

Health is far more, and goes beyond just diet, of course. And fast food generally fails here

Point being, obesity kills more people than COVID and guns combined, but you don't see many people calling for legislating fast food, junk food, soda, etc., out of existence. Hell, you can't even legislate buying 'good' food and not crap with food stamps. But guns, different story.

Point is, one person's dietary choices do not in any way spread fat to other people. Bodyfat is not contagious. And your bodyfat doesn't make other people more prone to heart disease. I wouldn't get into the -It costs us money on health premiums- thing either, or else we're going to be off in the weeds talking about why diesel combustion engines in vehicles need to be abolished, followed by gasoline. It's a slippery slope, that one

And, yes, you do see people calling for legislation on junk food and soda. I don't agree with it, but if you would come out from under your rock, you'd see taxes on soda have been around in some places for years

AKDoug
08-19-21, 15:36
I don't care if gun deaths are high or low. Freedom is messy and I like it that way. There is a method to change the Constitution if someone doesn't like it. Stop unconstitutionally regulating me.

marco.g
08-19-21, 15:37
I didn't speak to overall health, just obesity, as that's what was mentioned. I didn't say you'd be able to run a competitive marathon only eating fast food, just that you could have that build. ;)

Bodyweight is calories in vs calories out.

Health is far more, and goes beyond just diet, of course. And fast food generally fails here

Point is, one person's dietary choices do not in any way spread fat to other people.

And, yes, you do see people calling for legislation on junk food and soda. I don't agree with it, but if you would come out from under your rock, you'd see taxes on soda have been around in some places for years

No, you said that eating fast food doesn’t bring anyone else into it. Well if you make a habit out of it and become unhealthy and obese - you do. I’m not on board with Nyc style drink size bans though. It’s just another piece of the public health puzzle.

Warp
08-19-21, 15:37
No, you said that eating fast food doesn’t bring anyone else into it. Well if you make a habit out of it and become unhealthy and obese - you do. I’m not on board with Nyc style drink size bans though. It’s just another piece of the public health puzzle.

Please explain why your heart disease is because another person is obese. I'd love to hear this.

marco.g
08-19-21, 15:42
Huh? All I’m saying is if you’re obese - you’re a drain on the system. Simple as.

utahjeepr
08-19-21, 15:43

What? You can buy guns with food stamps, where do I sign up?

Warp
08-19-21, 15:46
Huh? All I’m saying is if you’re obese - you’re a drain on the system. Simple as.

That's not the point in any way.

You cannot go "oh yeah, but obesity, ban fast food!" as a retort to vaccines or guns or DUI, because eating extra food and being obese does not injure or kill or infect anybody else. Full stop.

If you want to take the "Drain on the system", it's time to enforce engine size limits, power limits, speed governors tied to speed limits, and force EV's, because the pollution from all these ICE vehicles is a drain on the system and we don't need them any more. You sure you want to open the "drain on the system, better legislate it away" bottle?

Is it so hard to limit restrictions to things which demonstrably and directly harm other people?

chuckman
08-19-21, 15:48
What? You can buy guns with food stamps, where do I sign up?

Lol....

I wish. I would be knocking over some people and section 8 housing and taking their food stamps....

marco.g
08-19-21, 15:51
You should have framed your statement that way then. You just said “no one else is drawn into it.”

And if you could read - you’d see where I said I don’t support things like soda size limits.

AKDoug
08-19-21, 15:56

Talk about a broad reaching generalization. You can thanks us fat guys for advancing cardiac care in this country faster than it would have otherwise. I don't eat fast food and I'm still fat. I like beer and I like large quantities of good food.

I put far more into the system than I've taken out considering I've been paying out of my own pocket for health insurance for 30 years and a non-weight related hereditary heart condition used up about 1/2 what I paid in overall. Plenty of skinny people with bad eating habits, smoking and alcohol issues have sucked far more out of the system than I have.

Warp
08-19-21, 16:19
You should have framed your statement that way then. You just said “no one else is drawn into it.”

And if you could read - you’d see where I said I don’t support things like soda size limits.

Context matters. I'm sorry I used a pronoun, I thought it was clear given the context. Here... "no one is is drawn into obesity because of what another person eats".

You need to stop blaming other people for your obesity. You need to stop excusing the obese people for being obese because some other person also eats too much food.

You and you alone control what and how much you eat, you and you alone control your bodyweight. Personal accountability.

This stands in contrast to things like contagious diseases or DUI or speeding or whatever else that directly and inarguably puts other people at risk of injury or death. It's time to stop this "it's not my fault I'm fat" sidetrack

THCDDM4
08-19-21, 17:59
Waddle or whittle? (Auto-correct, or new figure of speech?)

lol. Whittle it down.

docsherm
08-20-21, 07:24
So much for SME. Everyone knows it's 87%.

Got me!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Most of these reports have a conclusion before they have the data. A good statistician can "maneuver" the data to meet their needs and their conclusion by limiting the data fields and the parameters.

Statistics don't mean anything unless they provide the data that backs it up.

AndyLate
08-20-21, 08:43
You simply cannot make meaningful comparisons between the US and 25 hand-picked countries. How about we compare our country to Brazil? Closer than any of the 25 when you consider area, population, density, and percent of urban population.

The US has 10 times the guns per resident than Brazil but Brazil's intentional homocide rate is six times higher.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Brazil/United-States/Crime/Violent-crime

Andy

SteyrAUG
08-20-21, 23:10
Got me!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Most of these reports have a conclusion before they have the data. A good statistician can "maneuver" the data to meet their needs and their conclusion by limiting the data fields and the parameters.

Statistics don't mean anything unless they provide the data that backs it up.

Two mathematicians and a statistician are being interviewed for employment and are given a data problem to resolve.

The two mathematicians submit their answers, the statistician looks at the interviewer and asks "what do you want the answer to be?"