PDA

View Full Version : I need to get some guns out of my house

Circle_10
08-19-21, 07:24
No I haven’t suddenly turned anti-gun. But the fact is that I have too many guns in my house. And by this I do not mean I think I have “too many guns” just too many in one place. As time has gone on I have started really thinking I’d like to have some guns stored in a secure secondary location however I’m not sure what location would be suitable for this purpose.

Storage unit seems like a bad idea, even if measures were taken to disguise the nature of what you were storing.
I don’t own any other property besides the land my house is on.

Anyone have any ideas on how and where to store guns that you don’t want to get rid of, but just want to keep somewhere else?

Averageman
08-19-21, 07:35
Well you could Co-Op weapons storage with an older Couple.
I know plenty of older folks who would be happy to keep quiet and help you out. Your looking for something the size of a medium coat closet? Not a problem for most folks.
As I get older, I need less crap in my life, loaning you a closet, wouldn't be a problem, the problem would be, that if they come for yours, they might likely end up on my front pourch also.

SomeOtherGuy
08-19-21, 09:14
A storage unit in a fenced compound (typical of urban areas) with a gate is pretty secure. And there's enough room to store a safe inside it if you want, although it would be hard to move the safe in without being seen.

One option might be storing an onsite tool box, like these:
https://www.arizonatools.com/greenlee/

Inside the storage unit, then discretely storing your guns in that. The box isn't as high security as a typical RSC, much less a safe, but is a deterrent to a quick grab, and people normally store tools in them so it's a lot less interesting.

If you own a business or a rental house you could do some variation with those locations.

Sam
08-19-21, 09:25
STorage units are TERRIBLE for weapon storage in many ways.

We use a storage unit to keep old keep sakes that are of no value to anyone if they take them, burn down, destroyed in flood, etc. The storage business that we use have a resident that lives in an apartment unit onsite at the entrance. Still, we had our unit (as well as other people units) broken into, water leak from the roof and occasional rodents. Our unit is unconditioned but like I wrote above, our stuff can tolerate the heat/cold during the climate changes.

If you must, find a really trusted person to store your guns and that you will allow you access to those weapons at anytime, but that would be the last resort.

Circle_10
08-19-21, 09:37
Well you could Co-Op weapons storage with an older Couple.
I know plenty of older folks who would be happy to keep quiet and help you out. Your looking for something the size of a medium coat closet? Not a problem for most folks.
As I get older, I need less crap in my life, loaning you a closet, wouldn't be a problem, the problem would be, that if they come for yours, they might likely end up on my front pourch also.

I don’t really know anyone around me besides family who I’d trust my guns with. But storing them on family property seems a tad “obvious”.

A storage unit in a fenced compound (typical of urban areas) with a gate is pretty secure. And there's enough room to store a safe inside it if you want, although it would be hard to move the safe in without being seen.

One option might be storing an onsite tool box, like these:
https://www.arizonatools.com/greenlee/

Inside the storage unit, then discretely storing your guns in that. The box isn't as high security as a typical RSC, much less a safe, but is a deterrent to a quick grab, and people normally store tools in them so it's a lot less interesting.

If you own a business or a rental house you could do some variation with those locations.

I suppose it could work if I can find a suitable secure storage facility. I’d probably want to be able to regularly access the guns for preventative maintenance etc.
I’ve never had cause to rent a storage unit before and looking at prices of these units I had kinda thought they averaged cheaper than they do.

Unfortunately I don’t own a business or any other property.

Alex V
08-19-21, 10:11
STorage units are TERRIBLE for weapon storage in many ways.

We use a storage unit to keep old keep sakes that are of no value to anyone if they take them, burn down, destroyed in flood, etc. The storage business that we use have a resident that lives in an apartment unit onsite at the entrance. Still, we had our unit (as well as other people units) broken into, water leak from the roof and occasional rodents. Our unit is unconditioned but like I wrote above, our stuff can tolerate the heat/cold during the climate changes.

If you must, find a really trusted person to store your guns and that you will allow you access to those weapons at anytime, but that would be the last resort.

This. Look what happened to several self storage facilities in South African a few weeks ago when shit hit the fan. Just when you need em, they go up in smoke. Literally.

GH41
08-19-21, 10:17
You need to find the right storage facility. We have one here that will rent you a cage as small as a school locker or a space big enough to store a valuable antique automobile. They store a lot of furs that the displaced yanks don't want the hired help to see hanging in the closet. It is all conditioned space, video surveilled and sprinkled. Rent a 4X4 locker and use an old upright freezer for storage.

Allen
08-19-21, 10:20
https://www.arlo.com/en_eu/cameras/arlo-go
Wireless (power & data) camera option if you go for a storage locker. Check with your home or renters insurance provider, they'll often cover a locker with sub $10K in it w/o a rider. Find a place that's indoor & AC'd vs. drive up & you'll have fewer issues w/ water/dust etc.

I have an acquaintance who bought a place in a ski resort who's reinforced the door on his owners lock out room, put in a high security lock & thrown a safe in it. Maintenance & guests are logged, so he's comfortable with it. Throws the unit in the rental pool when he doesn't want to be there & covers 60-70% of his cost of carry.

jsbhike
08-19-21, 11:09
I would assume a storage facility could end up in a situation like this:

https://reason.com/2021/07/29/fbi-seized-900000-from-safe-deposit-box-on-pure-conjecture-federal-judge-says/

Circle_10
08-19-21, 11:16
This is looking like one of those problems that should have an easy solution, but doesn’t.

Disciple
08-19-21, 11:49
The box isn't as high security as a typical RSC, much less a safe,

Typical gun safes are not high security either. They're just sheet metal and insulation, more for fire protection than forced entry.

Averageman
08-19-21, 12:06
I'm just saying if you don't know a few local cool old people you need to.
They're a wealth of information and usually pretty happy to have the company. I'm just going to bet you that I could sweet talk the old widow down the street in to letting me store the Arm's Room for the Alamo at her house.
Cut a little grass, drink some iced tea and maybe buy her dinner.
I'm sure she would be happy to have a dozen or so armalite rifles in her coat closet.

I'm sixty, I will jump on that grenade for you if I have to...

SomeOtherGuy
08-19-21, 12:10
Typical gun safes are not high security either. They're just sheet metal and insulation, more for fire protection than forced entry.

Yes. A typical "gun safe" was referred to as an RSC (residential security container) in the recent past. Looks like there are now UL ratings and levels for RSC:

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/pages/burglary-ratings

We're not talking about true safes that will stop a skilled burglar. Just containers that will slow down or stop a smash-and-grab.

Averageman
08-19-21, 12:24
Yes. A typical "gun safe" was referred to as an RSC (residential security container) in the recent past. Looks like there are now UL ratings and levels for RSC:

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/pages/burglary-ratings

We're not talking about true safes that will stop a skilled burglar. Just containers that will slow down or stop a smash-and-grab.

Very true,
But.. You can skillfully place them in places that will make it very difficult to do quickly

Circle_10
08-19-21, 12:52
They're a wealth of information and usually pretty happy to have the company. I'm just going to bet you that I could sweet talk the old widow down the street in to letting me store the Arm's Room for the Alamo at her house.
I'm sure she would be happy to have a dozen or so armalite rifles in her coat closet.

I’ve done a very poor job making acquaintances around the neighborhood. I’m the type of guy who avoids walking out to the mailbox if the neighbors across the street are outside so I don’t have to risk interacting with them.

Circle_10
08-19-21, 12:52

I’ve done a very poor job making acquaintances around the neighborhood. I’m the type of guy who avoids walking out to the mailbox if the neighbors across the street are outside so I don’t have to risk interacting with them.

Business_Casual
08-19-21, 12:57
I would assume a storage facility could end up in a situation like this:

https://reason.com/2021/07/29/fbi-seized-900000-from-safe-deposit-box-on-pure-conjecture-federal-judge-says/

These days, so could a friend’s house. Plus, when the gun grabbing gets serious at least a storage locker won’t squeal on you…

Disciple
08-19-21, 13:16
Yes. A typical "gun safe" was referred to as an RSC (residential security container) in the recent past.

I missed the reference. Thank you.

gaijin
08-19-21, 13:33
I have gun safes at a sisters (same town) and one concealed at my office.
Also have a security vault in my vehicle.

utahjeepr
08-19-21, 14:13
Private safe depositories are a thing. Like a bank safe deposit box without the traffic and visibility of a bank. They offer just about any volume you can imagine, are extraordinarily discreet, and are of course kinda pricey. They are hard to find, they tend to deal with certain industries and never advertise. Check with large precious metals and jewel dealers, possibly brokerage houses, etc in your area.

Lowdown3
08-19-21, 15:02
Midnight Gardening...

SomeOtherGuy
08-19-21, 15:07
Private safe depositories are a thing. Like a bank safe deposit box without the traffic and visibility of a bank. They offer just about any volume you can imagine, are extraordinarily discreet, and are of course kinda pricey. They are hard to find, they tend to deal with certain industries and never advertise. Check with large precious metals and jewel dealers, possibly brokerage houses, etc in your area.

Mostly a major city thing, and LE will have them in their crosshairs. No issue for legitimate uses, but I'm gathering that OP is trying to address a potential compliance risk, maybe because he worries about state law changing or something. Probably not the best option in that kind of situation. Note the reason.com article posted by another.

SteyrAUG
08-19-21, 15:50
So first off the top of my head, I'd be more concerned with where and how to cache ammo than guns.

If the day comes that they come for the guns, mail order ammo and such has ceased to exist.

Handing out guns is tricky, if you don't have trusted friends and family then you are kind of on your own. If you stash some stuff with the nice old couple down the street...what happens if something happens to them. "Hi I just came by to get my guns." Good luck proving that.

rjacobs
08-19-21, 15:52
MOST storage type places will definitely "ban" guns being stored. Ive rented a few storage lockers in my day and almost all have that in the contract... along with gasoline, explosives, propane tanks, etc...

So I would "tread lightly" in that respect.

There is really no good way to go about doing what you want IMO. I had to do something to store my guns while we were building a new house last year and out of our old one for about a month... HUGE PITA to figure it out. I was going to drag my safe and all my shit to my uncles house an hour north, then a buddy ended up closing his resale shop for good due to COVID so we shoved my safe and guns there for a month. Air conditioned, alarmed, cameras, no windows, and only he had a key.

Can you build a vault into your current house? Reinforced walls, vault door, alarmed, etc...

Up your insurance with a firearms rider(your mileage may vary)?

Circle_10
08-19-21, 16:06
Midnight Gardening...

Yeah that’s the old standby but I’d rather not do that. Abs that still raises the question of “where” to some extent.

Mostly a major city thing, and LE will have them in their crosshairs. No issue for legitimate uses, but I'm gathering that OP is trying to address a potential compliance risk, maybe because he worries about state law changing or something. Probably not the best option in that kind of situation. Note the reason.com article posted by another.

Yeah I dunno as it’s any one *specific* concern. Just that it seems like a bad idea to have “all my eggs in one basket” so to speak.
Even if it were just a case use having to evacuate the house due to some sort of emergency - either civil or environmental - a shit ton of guns/ammo is going to be a logistical problem to move in an emergency, but only taking what I can carry and leaving the rest for whoever to get ahold of seems like a bad idea too.

Circle_10
08-19-21, 16:15
So first off the top of my head, I'd be more concerned with where and how to cache ammo than guns.

If the day comes that they come for the guns, mail order ammo and such has ceased to exist.

Handing out guns is tricky, if you don't have trusted friends and family then you are kind of on your own. If you stash some stuff with the nice old couple down the street...what happens if something happens to them. "Hi I just came by to get my guns." Good luck proving that.

Yeah, and I’d probably want to store quantities of ammo/mags for each gun. I suppose, despite the risks, I might consider trusting guns with non-relatives, if I knew any people I even trusted in the first place. But I don’t. So any merit the idea has doesn’t work for me. Foiled by my lack of networking yet again, heh.

MOST storage type places will definitely "ban" guns being stored. Ive rented a few storage lockers in my day and almost all have that in the contract... along with gasoline, explosives, propane tanks, etc...

So I would "tread lightly" in that respect.

There is really no good way to go about doing what you want IMO. I had to do something to store my guns while we were building a new house last year and out of our old one for about a month... HUGE PITA to figure it out. I was going to drag my safe and all my shit to my uncles house an hour north, then a buddy ended up closing his resale shop for good due to COVID so we shoved my safe and guns there for a month. Air conditioned, alarmed, cameras, no windows, and only he had a key.

Can you build a vault into your current house? Reinforced walls, vault door, alarmed, etc...

Up your insurance with a firearms rider(your mileage may vary)?

I theoretically could build extra storage somewhere in the house but the issue is mostly that I want a portion of my guns *somewhere else* so that they aren’t all in one place, if that makes sense.

Johnny Rico
08-19-21, 17:06
Midnight Gardening...

Lol...I thought that too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm-xpDeGvXU

jsbhike
08-19-21, 17:30

I am fairly sure what you are describing applies to this business.

FBI got a search warrant for the company owners, search warrant wasn't for the customers' property, FBI seized the customers boxes anyway.

utahjeepr
08-19-21, 17:56
I am fairly sure what you are describing applies to this business.

FBI got a search warrant for the company owners, search warrant wasn't for the customers' property, FBI seized the customers boxes anyway.

FBLie doing blatantly illegal shit in intentional, willful, and direct violation of the courts orders. Gee golly Batman, you can't expect fleebs to obey the law.

Bruce in WV
08-19-21, 18:17
There are military manuals and tradecraft materials on caching that might help: "TC 31- 29/ A Special Forces Caching Techniques", is one example, but don't limit yourself to U.S. resources. Even historical examples (think WWII OSS or old Soldier of Fortune magazine and Paladin Press pubs ) can be helpful.
Brave Search (better even than duckduckgo) is a good place to start your research.

SteyrAUG
08-19-21, 18:20
Yeah, and I’d probably want to store quantities of ammo/mags for each gun. I suppose, despite the risks, I might consider trusting guns with non-relatives, if I knew any people I even trusted in the first place. But I don’t. So any merit the idea has doesn’t work for me. Foiled by my lack of networking yet again, heh.

It's going to come down to this. If you don't have offsite property somewhere else, you are very limited when it comes to options. If you don't know how to properly cache guns and ammo, you might as well light them on fire.

I've seen the results of improper storage in a home attic let alone buried in the ground or stashed someplace without regular maintenance. You can make a firearm completely non functional in less then a year with proper neglect.

Most people I know who do this stash their guns at a business they own that way they can access at any time and perform regular maintenance. Probably the cheapest way to do this is to rent warehouse / office space and actually start some kind of legit business just to offset the rent and overhead but even this is out of the means of most working folks.

Doesn't have to be fancy, Joe's Antiques business model is all you need. Well that and the start up cash and the ability to sustain it indefinitely despite slow sales.

utahjeepr
08-19-21, 18:25
^^^Well there ya go

Joe's firearm maintenance and storage. Store and clean/oil guns for a fee. Fits your needs and makes for a good side hustle.

Averageman
08-19-21, 18:55
I've considered a little garage off site that I would set up with a business licence and a rusty "Welder" sign and essentially just go about storing tools, guns and supplies and have a nice reloading bench set-up.
There's a lot of very rural property a half hour away. I think I will start looking.

Tanner
08-19-21, 19:12
Did not read all the posts, so may have been addressed. Any close family in area where you can put a safe in their closet? Any family out of state that can hold your 'excess' items? As mentioned, local bank safe deposit box can hold an extra pistol or two with mags etc. If, indeed, you have 'too many', sell a few perhaps?

SteyrAUG
08-19-21, 19:47
^^^Well there ya go

Joe's firearm maintenance and storage. Store and clean/oil guns for a fee. Fits your needs and makes for a good side hustle.

It's a nice thought but would constitute gunsmithing and ATF is gonna want to see you pull an 01 FFL. And anything you have overnight, despite the fact that it isn't actually transferred will need to be logged in to your gunsmithing records book AND the customer will need to do a NICS check before the firearm can be returned despite the fact that no transfer actually occurs.

SteyrAUG
08-19-21, 19:51
I've considered a little garage off site that I would set up with a business licence and a rusty "Welder" sign and essentially just go about storing tools, guns and supplies and have a nice reloading bench set-up.
There's a lot of very rural property a half hour away. I think I will start looking.

Just a tip. I'd have an obvious safe with some cash, BS but legit looking business records and such. And then I'd deep hide the actual safe that anything valuable would be put in.

lowprone
08-19-21, 19:58
Bullshit , storage units are not secure, most burglaries from storage units are insider related crimes.

Averageman
08-19-21, 20:02
Just a tip. I'd have an obvious safe with some cash, BS but legit looking business records and such. And then I'd deep hide the actual safe that anything valuable would be put in.

Yeah I was wondering if I couldn't set up a safe inside the shell of an old fridge or something similar.
Anyway, it's just a thought.

SteyrAUG
08-19-21, 23:37
Yeah I was wondering if I couldn't set up a safe inside the shell of an old fridge or something similar.
Anyway, it's just a thought.

I always wanted to do a vintage coke machine, but that's just me.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-20-21, 06:23
Did not read all the posts, so may have been addressed. Any close family in area where you can put a safe in their closet? Any family out of state that can hold your 'excess' items? As mentioned, local bank safe deposit box can hold an extra pistol or two with mags etc. If, indeed, you have 'too many', sell a few perhaps?

Could you store guns at an out of state relative and still retain ownership/control of them- so as to not run afoul of interstate transfer issues? I assume you'd have to drive/move them there yourself? I guess less of an issue if the destination state doesn't have UBCs, but if it does and your relative has a gun that's younger than the UBC, I assume the provenance of them might be interesting.

It's a nice thought but would constitute gunsmithing and ATF is gonna want to see you pull an 01 FFL. And anything you have overnight, despite the fact that it isn't actually transferred will need to be logged in to your gunsmithing records book AND the customer will need to do a NICS check before the firearm can be returned despite the fact that no transfer actually occurs.

Put the gun up for sale at an FFL at a high price that you actually wouldn't mind 'losing' it and see if the FFL will store it for 'free?'. Not optimal, but might work in a pinch.

Mags, more than guns, are the issue so far here in CO.

The_War_Wagon
08-20-21, 06:24
If you HAD to bug-out, where might you go?

I KNOW where I'd go, and if I had your "problem," I'd probably store some there - with the people I'd be rallying with for the boogaloo counteroffensive. :cool:

Circle_10
08-20-21, 06:33
Could you store guns at an out of state relative and still retain ownership/control of them- so as to not run afoul of interstate transfer issues? I assume you'd have to drive/move them there yourself? I guess less of an issue if the destination state doesn't have UBCs, but if it does and your relative has a gun that's younger than the UBC, I assume the provenance of them might be interesting.

In my case, any family out of state are going to be to the South. And at the risk of making a weirdly cryptic remark, I don’t want anything stored to the south of where I live, even in state.

Plus the state where I have family is CT, so most of what I want to store offsite is a no-go there anyway.

Esq.
08-20-21, 07:49
If you are worried about legislation and confiscation the plan is really simple.

1. Don't cache shit on your own property. PERIOD. With enough time, it WILL be found. 2. Your greatest advantage is SPACE. The world is a big place. Use it. Obviously, don't take your damn cell phone with you when you are emplacing things. 3. Think difficult. Most people...are LAZY by nature. The more difficult or uncomfortable a place is to reach, the more likely things stay hidden. 4. Take the time to properly prepare your items and cache system. 5. Make certain you can find your stuff again with appropriate markers.

I know for a fact there were a bunch of $69 SKS rifles buried during the Clinton years......

Circle_10
08-20-21, 08:08
If you are worried about legislation and confiscation the plan is really simple.

1. Don't cache shit on your own property. PERIOD. With enough time, it WILL be found. 2. Your greatest advantage is SPACE. The world is a big place. Use it. Obviously, don't take your damn cell phone with you when you are emplacing things. 3. Think difficult. Most people...are LAZY by nature. The more difficult or uncomfortable a place is to reach, the more likely things stay hidden. 4. Take the time to properly prepare your items and cache system. 5. Make certain you can find your stuff again with appropriate markers.

I know for a fact there were a bunch of $69 SKS rifles buried during the Clinton years......

It’s not due to legislation concerns per se, just a desire for a contingency if my “A-list” guns that I would continue to keep available in my home become suddenly unavailable for any number of possible reasons - house destroyed etc..at least I would have some B-list stuff elsewhere.

Esq.
08-20-21, 08:15
It’s not due to legislation concerns per se, just a desire for a contingency if my “A-list” guns that I would continue to keep available in my home become suddenly unavailable for any number of possible reasons - house destroyed etc..at least I would have some B-list stuff elsewhere.

Understood. Had a buddy who lost his house and guns in a fire several years ago. You might go to Northern Tool and look at their Ironton line of Job Boxes. One of those and a couple of good locks, stashed in a buddies closet is a lot of piece of mind.

landrvrnut22
08-20-21, 13:18
Off the top of my head, a safe deposit box is probably your best option. Your local credit union may offer better rates, and lower traffic than a more commercial bank. There is obviously the issue of whether or not the bank's policies allow the storage of firearms.

A quick google search yielded this website: https://www.gunsitters.com/

Looks like they offer locations in Eastern PA, and NJ, and is just what you are looking for.

DG23
08-20-21, 17:26
Get a mistress and keep some at her house?

Or a boyfriends house if you roll like that... :)