PDA

View Full Version : Spring winding direction

Disciple
08-22-21, 14:37
Looking at a couple of carbine action springs I noticed that they were wound in opposite directions, one left hand and one right hand. I don't suppose it matters but I find it interesting. Is winding direction specified for any of the springs used in the AR?

https://www.acxesspring.com/media/helical-spring-direction-of-wind.jpg

m4luvr
08-22-21, 14:57
i think it only matters when using one spring inside of another ala glock

it would be important if it were a torsional spring.

titsonritz
08-22-21, 16:01
It all depends on which side of the equator you're on. :jester:

GH41
08-22-21, 20:23
It all depends on which side of the equator you're on. :jester:

More than likely just the direction the low bidder had their machines set up to twist. Neither the carrier or the tube will care if it is left or right twist.

titsonritz
08-22-21, 21:16
More than likely just the direction the low bidder had their machines set up to twist. Neither the carrier or the tube will care if it is left or right twist.

I was kidding, making reference to toilet swirl.

556Cliff
08-22-21, 22:59
This has been driving me nuts lately, I've been sorting all my AR springs by counterclockwise and clockwise for the last 2 years!

Does it mater? Nope... Do I greatly prefer counterclockwise over clockwise? Hell yeah! OCD is a bitch. :fie:

556Cliff
08-22-21, 22:59
Length and coil count is a whole other can of worms. :blink:

And they come in a rainbow of colors to sort as well. :cray:

m4luvr
08-23-21, 11:17
the truly OCD (CDO) will find it necessary to periodically swap their left and right hand springs to get more even wear on the parts they’re in contact with

556Cliff
08-23-21, 15:10
the truly OCD (CDO) will find it necessary to periodically swap their left and right hand springs to get more even wear on the parts they’re in contact with

Don't give me ideas! ;)

DG23
08-23-21, 18:08
Seems pretty clear to me that the one is for left hand shooters...

08-23-21, 22:12
I have about a dozen Colt and LMT springs (I can’t tell them apart) and they’re all wound clockwise.

lysander
08-23-21, 22:13
The correct answer is - "It depends"

On the drawing it will tell you if it matters, as there is a block that specifies the helix direction as left-hand, right-hand, or optional.

In the M16, the magazine springs are right-hand per the drawings, everything else (other than the torsion springs) the helix direction is optional.

If you nest two or more spring they need to spiral in opposite directions, but there are other reasons as well.

Disciple
08-23-21, 23:09
Thanks lysander; I was hoping you would reply.