PDA

View Full Version : School the retard on lasers?

Diamondback
08-23-21, 16:34
Got a question on another piece for the M4gery... I know DBAL's and ATPIAL's are standard-issue and have been for a while, but was there any kind of laser that might have been plausible for an 0311 to PX Purchase around '07 fitting the requirements of both knocking around in the Rockpile AND affordable on an average grunt's budget?

08-24-21, 07:18
Got a question on another piece for the M4gery... I know DBAL's and ATPIAL's are standard-issue and have been for a while, but was there any kind of laser that might have been plausible for an 0311 to PX Purchase around '07 fitting the requirements of both knocking around in the Rockpile AND affordable on an average grunt's budget?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a quality IR laser for sale at a PX, BX, or NEX. Around 07, I think most 0311 would probably have been using the AN/PEQ2 they were issued.

Diamondback
08-24-21, 11:40
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a quality IR laser for sale at a PX, BX, or NEX. Around 07, I think most 0311 would probably have been using the AN/PEQ2 they were issued.

So I need to find a commercial equivalent with only a visible light, then. (By PX, I had meant private-purchase affordable to an E3 to E5, not specifically AAFES/NEX.) That gives me a start point. Thanks. :)

Stickman
08-24-21, 13:49

My thought as well. I still remember back to when the PX carried clothing and items at good prices, meaning cheaper than off base. Now the off base stores bitch if gas prices are lower...

Nothing that I can think of was even close to affordable back in 2007, and it seems like almost everything back then was much more heavily restricted. The PEQ2 would seem to be the best option, though in no way was a low level grunt going to afford one. The closest thing would have been a guy getting his paycheck docked for losing one in the field.

08-24-21, 14:35
. The PEQ2 would seem to be the best option, though in no way was a low level grunt going to afford one. The closest thing would have been a guy getting his paycheck docked for losing one in the field.

How much does this thing cost? I dunno, but I’ve got five-fitty in insurance.

Corse
08-25-21, 10:18
The holosun line of lasers seems to be getting some traction and are fairly inexpensive. Anything ir/NVG related is not cheap.

Diamondback
08-25-21, 23:29
The holosun line of lasers seems to be getting some traction and are fairly inexpensive. Anything ir/NVG related is not cheap.

Safe bet that Holosun wasn't around in '07, so you wouldn't see a private-purchase one in the Rockpile.

Oh well, the laser on the girlfriend's Eotech 552 for her C8 just means I have to be that much better on the range... too bad there aren't any PEQ-2-styled cases with visible beams outside the airsoft sector. :rolleyes: *insert "vomit" emoticon here*

08-26-21, 01:18
see a private-purchase one in the Rockpile.

Who says this was even a thing?

Diamondback
08-26-21, 01:21
Who says this was even a thing?

Never said it was, asked IF, looks like not, so I've weighed the data and concluded that I'm just going to not bother with extra weight and complexity.

Stickman
08-26-21, 10:42
Never said it was, asked IF, looks like not, so I've weighed the data and concluded that I'm just going to not bother with extra weight and complexity.

You never know when a PEQ will show up, lots of guys want to upgrade over early models.

Diamondback
08-26-21, 12:50
You never know when a PEQ will show up, lots of guys want to upgrade over early models.

True, but even derated to Class 1, a true PEQ is IR only so it's a little problematic for the naked eye.

Stickman
08-26-21, 20:29
True, but even derated to Class 1, a true PEQ is IR only so it's a little problematic for the naked eye.

True, but you deserve nice things, get yourself some NVG to go along with it. ��

Diamondback
08-26-21, 20:42
True, but you deserve nice things, get yourself some NVG to go along with it. ��

Sure, I'll get on that right after I collect my winnings next Mega Millions... ;) lol