PDA

View Full Version : M4 vs Mid length

ghawk249
12-10-08, 22:41
I am going to build my 1st AR. I am looking at the delton kits but have questions about the differences between the M4 and mid length uppers with 16 inch barrels. Thanks for all and any help.:confused:

junkxp
12-10-08, 23:29
I'm looking at the same and these are some of the differences. On one hand a 14.5 m4 would be nice but on the other a 16 middy would fit the needs just aswell with maybe better accuracy. I do like the fat m4 hand guards and length just not the pinned flash hider. I figure if i find either at a good price this weekend during the gun show that's what i'll get. Looks like march for del-ton.

Looking at bcm also but if i go middy i'd want a heavy or mid weight barrel.

Just for extra feed reliability i'd go with m4 ramps/extension.

Vom Kriege
12-11-08, 00:22
I have a middy on order as I wanted the longer hand guards and sight radius.

Iraq Ninja
12-11-08, 02:04

Why on earth would you want a heavy barrel? The Bravo Company middy is probably good enough for 99% of us.

Parabellum9x19mm
12-11-08, 02:25
IOn one hand a 14.5 m4 would be nice but on the other a 16 middy would fit the needs just aswell with maybe better accuracy.

longer barrel length wont inherently lend itself to greater accuracy. it will give you greater velocity.

the increased sight radius from a 14.5 CAR to a 16 Mid might help your shooting...but if you have a 16 CAR with the same sight radius, you wont shoot it any more accurately. shorter barrel length doesn't effect accuracy.

I do like the fat m4 hand guards and length just not the pinned flash hider. I figure if i find either at a good price this weekend during the gun show that's what i'll get. Looks like march for del-ton.

Just for extra feed reliability i'd go with m4 ramps/extension.

there really is no comparing BCM and Del-Ton.

Del-Ton makes a decent "kit" gun, but they are nowhere in the same league as BCM. apples to anvils comparison.

junkxp
12-11-08, 02:30
Why on earth would you want a heavy barrel? The Bravo Company middy is probably good enough for 99% of us.

To me it seems like better accuracy(added weight,harmonics,heat,ect.) and more durable. Then again i've never humped 20 miles with one either but did take a couple mile walks with the 20" hbar i had and other rifles. Throw the sling over your shoulder and go. Also used to a heavy rimfire and most ar's i've picked up are lighter than it.
A medium profile middy would be ideal if i could block the 14.5" m4 mall ninja in me that's been wanting one for years. I'm going to atleast one show this weekend so if i find either at a good price that will be what i end up with, if not i order and wait.

longer barrel length wont inherently lend itself to greater accuracy. it will give you greater velocity.

the increased sight radius from a 14.5 CAR to a 16 Mid might help your shooting...but if you have a 16 CAR with the same sight radius, you wont shoot it any more accurately. shorter barrel length doesn't effect accuracy.

That's what i hear but scope them ... add in a perfect world and from my experience a longer barrel to a extent will improve accuracy. I realise 1.5" isn't much so i'm only saying this for more of a 16-20" comparison.

there really is no comparing BCM and Del-Ton.

Del-Ton makes a decent "kit" gun, but they are nowhere in the same league as BCM. apples to anvils comparison.

I honestly have no clue of either, only what i've read through hours/months of reading. I'd actually like to find some good pics of both makers inner workings or handle them. I also hear s&w are top quality but so far what i've personally seen and pics i've seen i can honestly say i'm not impressed. Maybe these were rare occurrences so i'm not going to bash on them.
Not to mention i've been out of work for a while due to health problems and then the economy. This is after 8 years at the same place making sawdust so price is an issue.

Sorry for hijacking your thread ,ghawk249 .

bill_d
12-15-08, 16:38
hey guys,
in response to junk's statememt:
"I'd actually like to find some good pics of both makers inner workings ...."

i think i have something of interest to upload to the server.
feel free to take the pics for reference. (photobucket them even)
having just recieved a BCM midlength upper assy.
i have found the precision of this assembly to be outstanding.
every point of inspection displays tight and uniform tolerences.

the detail of the m4 feedramps in the upper reciever mating with the barrel extension ramps is especially interesting. also the fact that all machine work is
done prior to the anodizing to the latest [ type three hard black ] specs. is important to consider when evaluating and comparing other products made from these forgings.

87GN
12-15-08, 19:36
I am going to build my 1st AR. I am looking at the delton kits but have questions about the differences between the M4 and mid length uppers with 16 inch barrels. Thanks for all and any help.:confused:

The physical difference is that the gas port of the midlength is located approx. 2" farther down the barrel than the carbine/M4 gas port.

The effect of this is reduced pressure coming back into the action.

Some claim that midlengths are "smoother" or have less recoil.

I can't really notice a difference.

Some say that midlengths look better/more proportional.

I don't really care, and like my midlengths and carbine lengths equally.

They will both be accurate, and the shooter, weather, ammunition, and crown/chamber/etc will have far more effect on accuracy than barrel profile, sight radius (between carbine and midlength), etc.

So you might as well choose the lightest barrel you can reasonably find.

Now, if you're going to be dumping 30rd mag after 30rd mag, you might consider a heavy barrel.

But I digress...

DBake
09-13-09, 11:46
So, in reality just get the one that fits your eye?

87GN
09-13-09, 12:02
Both are capable of outstanding reliability and good accuracy.

gngtools
09-13-09, 12:31
I've got three...a 16", the 14.5", and the commando at 11.5". All three are fantastic shooters and I have no issues out to 100 yds. Over that, I prefer the 16" just for that added edge. I agree that the difference between the 16 and 14.5 is negligible, except that the 16 does get a bit more velocity. Either will be good, just pick the one that best fits what you're going to do with it. More than that, pick the one you like best.

Iraq Ninja
09-13-09, 13:29
To me it seems like better accuracy(added weight,harmonics,heat,ect.) and more durable.

Actually, I doubt either of us can shoot the standard BCM middy barrel to its full potential, let alone a heavy barrel. Heavy barrels have a place on some rifles, but I don't think they are of much use on a M4 carbine.

If anything, I wish the BCM barrel was thinner.

Heavy barrels on carbines used to be popular a while ago. Probably driven by some barrel makers since it was easier to manufacture and they could charge more for it. :)

Iraq Ninja
09-13-09, 13:38
So, in reality just get the one that fits your eye?

Hmm, depends on what you want to do with it. If you want one good rifle that is dependable, accurate, and less prone to breakage, the middy is the choice in the AR platform.

mark5pt56
09-13-09, 13:48
I have a middy on order as I wanted the longer hand guards and sight radius.

That would be the only reason in my opinion.