PDA

View Full Version : Glock frames with straighter grip angle

BoringGuy45
08-23-21, 20:00
I've been looking at getting an aftermarket G19 Gen5 frame and switching over my internals, mostly because I like the more upright "1911-style" grip. What are some of the recommendations? ZEV looked good, but considering that their frames are pretty inexpensive, I didn't know how well they held up in terms of quality and durability compared to ones like Nomad.

Pappabear
08-23-21, 20:57
I've been looking at getting an aftermarket G19 Gen5 frame and switching over my internals, mostly because I like the more upright "1911-style" grip. What are some of the recommendations? ZEV looked good, but considering that their frames are pretty inexpensive, I didn't know how well they held up in terms of quality and durability compared to ones like Nomad.

This is what has been my only issue with Glock. But by the time ZEV came out I was pretty locked in on handguns.

PB

BoringGuy45
08-24-21, 20:27
This is what has been my only issue with Glock. But by the time ZEV came out I was pretty locked in on handguns.

PB

Same here. I can shoot my Glock generally pretty well and I love almost everything about it, but I do prefer a straighter grip angle.

JB2000
08-27-21, 16:43
I think the Zev frames you are referencing are more like grip modules than a complete frame. If they are the ones I see on their website, it's just the grip portion that connects to the actual chassis with a pin - kind of like a Sig 320 or P365. If I'm wrong and they have a complete frame I'd love to know. Since you have a Gen 5, the new Nomad Enhanced frame might be a good option for you. Many of the other aftermarket frames are designed for Gen 3 parts and require extra parts to adapt Gen 4/5 slides, etc.

utahjeepr
08-30-21, 06:47
I really like the feel of the polymer 80 frames. I know it's me, but the grip just bugged me. Especially the damn S curve on the back of my early Glock 17.

ETA: Don't think polymer 80 takes Gen 5 though.

BoringGuy45
09-04-21, 10:09
I really like the feel of the polymer 80 frames. I know it's me, but the grip just bugged me. Especially the damn S curve on the back of my early Glock 17.

ETA: Don't think polymer 80 takes Gen 5 though.

Here's what I don't understand. Gen 5 has been around for nearly five years now, and yet the majority of aftermarket Glock parts are still all for Gen 3 and 4.

Diamondback
09-04-21, 11:00
Here's what I don't understand. Gen 5 has been around for nearly five years now, and yet the majority of aftermarket Glock parts are still all for Gen 3 and 4.

Could patent issues have something to do with the lag?

BoringGuy45
09-04-21, 20:27
Could patent issues have something to do with the lag?

I suppose, I have no idea though.

artoter
09-04-21, 21:12
....or some issue with import restrictions. Glock always has kinda gone with the beat of it's own drum though, so I would bet it has something more to do with just Glock being Glock. I have to admit, I must be one of the fewer lucky ones, for I find the 22.5 degree grip angle more natural, and when in the Marines, always had to work harder at lining up the sights on a 1911.

DirectTo
09-04-21, 22:57
One thing about the Gen 3/4/5 and aftermarket parts availability is that most all of the aftermarket frames work with Gen 3 parts. While Joe Gun Owner might buy an off the shelf Gen 4 or 5 and shoot it 100 rounds a year, the folks buying aftermarket frames are probably more likely to buy up various bits and pieces to complete, modify, or rework the frame or slide for competition/carry/play.

While the Gen 5s have their additional oddities the Gen 4 shares most stuff with the earlier generations and can even use the recoil spring with an adapter.

Pappabear
09-08-21, 19:16
Are the Shadow Systems frames available for sale. Their guns look very good for the price. Those frames would fit the bill 100%.

PB

Biggy
09-08-21, 19:27
Are the Shadow Systems frames available for sale. Their guns look very good for the price. Those frames would fit the bill 100%.

PB

Not currently from them directly and not the MR920 frames.

shadowsystemscorp.com

JB2000
09-08-21, 22:24
Zaffiri Precision advertises the earlier MR918 frame for sale.

https://zaffiriprecision.com/product/shadow-systems-mr918-frame/

derek45
09-09-21, 07:02
S&W M&P

BoringGuy45
09-09-21, 21:59
S&W M&P

Had one. Traded it in. I liked it well enough, but I've invested a lot in my Glocks right now.

munch520
09-13-21, 13:18
Sounds stupid, but try the 19x or 17. I believe the angle is the same but the hump feels (to me) like it's in a different spot/not as pronounced on those. My 19X is by far my favorite handgun to shoot and that's one of the reasons why.

But I am used to shooting Glocks and their grip angle so IDK. Something I've accepted as reality lol.

Having a red dot on the slide also allows me to shoot more upright in terms of posture. YMMV.

Vegas
09-13-21, 13:24
I have a Grey Ghost frame that is pretty nice. It’s like a P80 but serialized and not goobered. As noted above, like most aftermarket frames it’s not for Gen 5. It uses the 1911 grip angle.

AKDoug
09-13-21, 19:26

PB

I swooped in as an FFL and picked up one of their blems a couple years ago. I can't even see why it was "blem'd". I paid right around $110 for it with shipping. I dumped in my Gen 4 internals and top end. It's been my carry gun since then. I really like how it feels and will probably buy a complete pistol here soon.

ViniVidivici
09-14-21, 11:04

HKGuns
09-14-21, 11:14

PB

This is the main reason I don't own a gLoCk, that and I'm a bit of a contrarian with a lot of HK and Walther pistols. I started shooting with 1911's and HK's. When I draw a gLoCk it doesn't point naturally for me and I consider that mildly dangerous as it takes additional time to point it at the target. It was borne out for me in numerous IDPA matches.

I draw on you with an HK and its two to the chest. I draw on you with a gLoCk and its two to the ball sack. :)

Biggy
09-14-21, 12:08
My two Shadow System pistols have proven to be both reliable and accurate, and the triggers break in nice after some dry firing and use.

https://i.imgur.com/lgctvNEl.jpg

chamber143
09-19-21, 19:02
My two Shadow System pistols have proven to be both reliable and accurate, and the triggers break in nice after some dry firing and use.

https://i.imgur.com/lgctvNEl.jpg

I have the 920 elite and although it does a nice job of straightening out the grip some, it still isn't enough for me. The p320 is the perfect angle for my anatomy, but I'm not sure what the angle is. I do carry my 920 a lot though because with a red dot on top its not about lining up sights and I have no issue getting the dot on target. The 920 has a great (Glock) trigger and is actually a lite pistol and carries well.

JiminAZ
09-20-21, 18:15
Shadow Systems’ small insert duplicates 1911 angle, middle insert duplicates M&P, and large duplicates Glock.

Installed the small and never looked back.

Nocalsocal
09-21-21, 21:57
My MR920 Combat points better for me with the M sized backstrap. I wanted the 1911 (S) backstrap to fit me but every time I practiced drawing it the sights were always initially off.
When I went back to the M backstrap it pointed more naturally for me.
Regardless the Shadow Systems MR920 has proven flawless. I’ve only had about 200 rds through it. But it was a mix of aluminum, steel, brass, and duty grade hollow points. Not one single hiccup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssc
09-22-21, 02:02
Why not have the glock frame modified? I have done 3. There are many companies who modify glock frames to resemble the shape of the 1911.
https://www.coldborecustom.com/services
CB is one of many. I used robar, but don't think they are still in business to mod the glock.

Regards, Steve

Texaspoff
09-30-21, 08:22
A major misconception is aftermarket frames and grip reductions change the angle of the frames. That is not what happens at all. If the angle of the grip was changed, then the magazines and followers would have to be changed as well. The geometry of the grip, magazine, followers and barrel feed ramp must all work together for the firearm to be reliable. Change any one of those things and it can cause issues.

Reductions and aftermarket frames, change the way the shooters hand holds the grip, or changes the angle of the hands attack. Glocks and the hump on the backstrap creates a misalignment of the front strap and backstrap. This causes a lot of shooters grip to feel strange and point high. Other manufacturers sometimes have backstrap humps as well, but they are not nearly as pronounced and typically hit most folks palms in the correct area.

For some reason Glock can't seem to figure the correct measurements out and get the dimensions and location of the hump correct.

I have done a ton of research and measurements on how different sized hands hold and fit on Glock grips. I used that information to design the process I use for my reductions. I don't change the grip angle as a whole, but I do change the angle of the backstrap, specifically at the bottom of the grip, IE removing the hump.

This reduces the grip circumference, brings the backstrap and front strap in line with each other, which in turn allows the shooters hand to fit the grip. Aftermarket grips do the exact same thing, only by replacing the frame rather than reworking the exsisting frame.

If a reduction is done correctly by a reputable company ts will change the feel of the Glock grip dramatically and make the gun feel much more natural.

TXPO

chamber143
10-02-21, 15:28
I am not sure you can get the grip much straighter than the Low mr920 backstrap. The issue that can’t be changed is the angle of the magazines so you are really stuck with some sort of the Glock angle. I don’t think a p320/1911 angle is possible with a Glock unfortunately. If they could it would be almost perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrabybdalrhmn
09-05-23, 08:10
Switching to an aftermarket G19 Gen5 frame with a straighter grip angle sounds like an intriguing upgrade. ZEV frames indeed offer that sleek "1911-style" grip you're after, and their affordability might raise some quality concerns. To get more insights and firsthand experiences, you could explore discussions on https://uspatriotarmory.com/product-tag/g-polymer80-80-blank-frames. They often have conversations about various frame options, including ZEV and Nomad. Hearing from fellow firearm enthusiasts could help you make a confident choice for your Glock frame upgrade.

26 Inf
09-05-23, 23:17
I bought a complete Lone Wolf Timberwolf (Glock 19 sized) pistol for 279.00 on PSA. I loved the way it pointed and shot, enough so that I have a G17 sized one and a G21 sized one. The two frames I bought work great with Glock slides.

Here's the grip angle -

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-u6rb2tt5h8/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/5462/9807/9807__50100.1667847505.jpg?c=1

https://lonewolfdist.com/twf-full-full-textured-frame-built/

yoni
09-06-23, 05:04
I have 2 Grey Ghost frames, one on my Glock 35, 357sig and the other on a 34. I love these grips.

I will say gen 5 Glocks feel good in my hand almost like a CZ.

09-06-23, 12:44
I don’t think a p320/1911 angle is possible with a Glock unfortunately.
The Glock 19’s factory grip side profile is almost exactly the same as the 1911a1’s. After a backstrap reduction as detailed above, its nearly identical to that of a non-a1 1911. In fact, in both of those cases, its actually closer to a 1911 or 1911a1 than most guns that people think are 1911-y. They tend to be steeper than a 1911.

The P320, in fact, is slightly steeper than a 1911, by more than the amount a G19 is off. So, the G19 is actually closer to a 1911(a1). Don’t take my word for it, check Handgun Hero.

I’ve got pictures demonstrating this here with the actual weapons: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?233673-Grip-Angle&highlight=

What many people seem to need is a placebo or an excuse.