PDA

View Full Version : 2 Year Old Whirlpool Dishwasher, Rusted Racks

Leaveammoforme
08-24-21, 19:57
Contacted Whirlpool. Told to pound sand since dishwasher has a 1 year warranty. Was blown away when I looked at prices of new racks (that will last 2 years apparently)

I fully anticipate junk made these days not to last but this is a bit much. I've replaced many appliances when they were in the 4-5 year range. But, at least I felt like I got my money's worth in use.

We're on city water and run the washer 1-2 times a week. Worst case scenario puts the dishwasher around 200 cycles over the last 2 years.

Got burned by them once before on a $1,800 dollar fridge. Guess I actually learned the lesson this time.

Recommendations on something that will last? Maytag still decent?

flenna
08-24-21, 20:02
Maytag is owned by Whirlpool, and in most cases just rebadged. I've had a Frigidaire dishwasher for about 7 years that we use daily with no issues to date.

Tanner
08-24-21, 20:09
Bosch or Miele

czgunner
08-24-21, 21:23
Subscribed for info.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BangBang77
08-25-21, 07:48
I used to work for Whirlpool in their project engineering dept.

There are NO Whirlpool appliances in my home. Everything I have is GE.

HCrum87hc
08-25-21, 08:34
I'm not on the up and up with appliances, so I'll just speak from experience. As a homeowner, I've had one Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher that was in our home when we bought it in 2014. It was pretty new at the time. The previous owners replaced everything except the fridge with Frigidaire Gallery appliances before they listed the house. All of the Frigidaire stuff is still going strong, and I haven't had to do any work to any of them, knock on wood.

Side note-we just replaced the original, 21 year old Whirlpool side by side fridge with a GE French door (fingers crossed).

gunnerblue
08-25-21, 10:34
Contacted Whirlpool. Told to pound sand since dishwasher has a 1 year warranty. Was blown away when I looked at prices of new racks (that will last 2 years apparently)

I fully anticipate junk made these days not to last but this is a bit much. I've replaced many appliances when they were in the 4-5 year range. But, at least I felt like I got my money's worth in use.

We're on city water and run the washer 1-2 times a week. Worst case scenario puts the dishwasher around 200 cycles over the last 2 years.

Got burned by them once before on a $1,800 dollar fridge. Guess I actually learned the lesson this time.

Recommendations on something that will last? Maytag still decent?

I bought a Maytag dishwasher about four years ago that's still going strong. It replaced a Kenmoore that was about ten years old before it died.

AKDoug
08-25-21, 23:29
Bosch

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-25-21, 23:32
Bosch or Miele

Bosch

Bosch. So quiet it has to project a laser dot on the floor so you know it is actually running...

Pretty good at cleaning, always run the batch on the long and dirty setting. Detergents suck now...

SteyrAUG
08-26-21, 01:05
Bosch. So quiet it has to project a laser dot on the floor so you know it is actually running...

Pretty good at cleaning, always run the batch on the long and dirty setting. Detergents suck now...

3 years with Bosch, pretty satisfied. I still have the habit of completely rinsing off all my dishes after use and putting them on the left side of the sink until I have a full load to wash. I've seen some people who consider what I do "hand washing" and to be sufficient but that is pretty gross to me.

When I run the dishwasher I make sure to use the "sanitize" setting and if you don't use jet dry you are gonna be cleaning out your filter every 3 weeks.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-26-21, 07:29
If I remember correctly some of the first dishwashers were sold as sanitizers. Kind of that you need to pretty much clean dishes before putting them in, but the high temperature and washing of the dishwasher would make sure that it was sanitary. Probably more of a issue that the original tech was not very good at dealing with any kind of food particles.

eightmillimeter
08-26-21, 09:10
I’ll make this easy for you. Bosch. Bought mine in 2015, brought it with us when we moved in 2017. Runs and cleans like a champ.

My uncle was a Maytag guy for 40 years. He made the recommendation.

SteyrAUG
08-26-21, 14:28
If I remember correctly some of the first dishwashers were sold as sanitizers. Kind of that you need to pretty much clean dishes before putting them in, but the high temperature and washing of the dishwasher would make sure that it was sanitary. Probably more of a issue that the original tech was not very good at dealing with any kind of food particles.

I mostly hand rinse all my dishes because with ALL new dishwashers it doesn't take much to clog the filters. If you think you can just put your dirty dishes in their covered with egg yolks and toast crumbs you are going to be doing a lot of maintenance.

fedupflyer
08-26-21, 23:03
I mostly hand rinse all my dishes because with ALL new dishwashers it doesn't take much to clog the filters. If you think you can just put your dirty dishes in their covered with egg yolks and toast crumbs you are going to be doing a lot of maintenance.

Because they are dishwashers and not dish scrubbers.
Folks think they can put a dirty dish with caked-on whatever and expect it to come out squeaky clean.
It don't work that way.

Kenmore = Whirlpool
Kitchen Aid = Whirlpool
Roper = Whirlpool

I grew up in the white goods biz.

jbjh
08-27-21, 00:20

There are some newer washers with “hard food” disposals (mini garbage disposal unit). I can only imagine the noise would scare the ever loving hell out of me if it isn’t super quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Vaquero
08-27-21, 00:22
I used to work for Whirlpool in their project engineering dept.

There are NO Whirlpool appliances in my home. Everything I have is GE.

GE used to be crap. When did it change?

I have 13 year old Maytag dishwasher that’s been rode hard since the day I bought it. Recently I had a repair guy come out to replace the handle and he said to not ever replace it. All the newer dishwashers are awful and won’t last 5 years.

SteyrAUG
08-27-21, 02:38
Because they are dishwashers and not dish scrubbers.
Folks think they can put a dirty dish with caked-on whatever and expect it to come out squeaky clean.
It don't work that way.

Kenmore = Whirlpool
Kitchen Aid = Whirlpool
Roper = Whirlpool

I grew up in the white goods biz.

Geeze...what I wouldn't give for a late 70s vintage, NIB example of any of those. I think the Kenmore my parents bought in 74 lasted until the very late 80s. My grandfather replaced a very old 1960s something with a 1982 Whirlpool and I think it's still running fine in the basement.