PDA

View Full Version : WML and laser all in one, both white light and IR.

ace4059
08-24-21, 22:32
I am looking for a small compact package to go on a shotgun. The problem is I want white light and visible laser for in the house at night for HD, and a IR laser and IR light for outside at night for the critters, coyotes, and pigs.
Is there a fairly compact package that’s an all in one unit? If so I’m unaware of it and did not find it while searching Google.

If nothing exist like that, then second choice would be white light with IR light and Ir laser.
Third choice would be a single unit containing a white light and IR laser.

Defaultmp3
08-24-21, 23:05
The L-3 MIPIM (AN/PEQ-16B) would be the most obvious military solution, but that's probably larger than you want, and not exactly easy to source. The Steiner DBAL-A4 would be much easier to find, but still on the larger side. Same with the Holosun 420 series. ZenitCo Perst-2 could be imported, if you really after that full-power output.

For smaller options oriented for pistol use, there is the Steiner DBAL-RL/DBAL-PL and the SureFire XLV2.

For white light, IR illum, and IR laser, there is the SureFire X400V or X400VH, or the Streamlight VIR II. The LaserMax entry to PAiL, the LMD is also around, though the consensus is that it's garbage. Kick it old school, and you could also look for the Insight LAM systems AKA the AN/PEQ-6 and AN/PEQ-14.

mig1nc
08-25-21, 08:04
Seems like a full power laser would be Overkill for a shotgun.

I think the holosun le420 is probably your best bet.

https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/178.html

Or maybe the dbal rl, which actually mentions shotguns in the ad. https://www.steiner-defense.com/laser-devices/dbal-rl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taliv
08-25-21, 10:14
no practical experience with shotguns, but i've been using the streamlight VIR II on a 9mm sub-gun wannabe for a while and love it.
I'm currently in the market for the same capabilities for an AR, which basically means i want to take the white light intensity to the next level, and longer battery life.

mig1nc
08-25-21, 10:35
no practical experience with shotguns, but i've been using the streamlight VIR II on a 9mm sub-gun wannabe for a while and love it.
I'm currently in the market for the same capabilities for an AR, which basically means i want to take the white light intensity to the next level, and longer battery life.

If you don't need a visible laser, check out phantom Hill.

They have a new laser coming to market that's kind of like a TLR-Vir2 on steroids built for rifles.

I didn't mention it before since the OP asked for a visible laser.

titsonritz
08-25-21, 11:57
The problem I see with these type of units is the white light is weak compared to most options these days.

mig1nc
08-25-21, 13:56
The problem I see with these type of units is the white light is weak compared to most options these days.

One cool thing about the Phantom Hill design is the light module is serviceable and upgradable in the future.

I wish they just used surefire heads or modlight heads. Kind of like what Wilcox did with the Raptar Lite.

ace4059
08-25-21, 15:14
The full size peq and dbal’s are bigger than what I want.
I agree the powerful laser on a shotgun would be wasted.

Now the dbal pl and rl are more along the lines of what I am looking for. I just wish the white lights were brighter. I’ll also check into the tlr vir 2.

I don’t have to have a visible laser on a shotgun, so that’s not a deal breaker for me.

ace4059
08-31-21, 19:09
The holosun LE420 looks promising for an all in one package for a carbine.
Has anyone had hands on one?

RHINOWSO
09-08-21, 11:18
The Streamline VIR II is a nice unit which does most of what you want. I have two and think for <50-100 yards, the are perfect for a dual IR / Visible light with an IR laser.

Compared to a civie DBAL-A3, the IR laser is about equal - easy to see out to several hundred yards. The IR light is definitely weaker but with a much wider throw - good for shorter ranged use say out to 50 yards. The white visible light is "only" 300 lumens, but those of us who survived with 170 lumen Surefire X200s know that 300 lumens is just fine for indoor use and shorter ranged outdoor use.

My only real complaint is it's either VIS or IR. If you are in IR, you get both the IR light and Laser - there is no way to only get the IR laser or Light. I wish there was a way to do just the laser. But for the price, I think it's a nice compromise unit on a SBR, pistol, and I guess PCC or Shotgun.

It is also the same form factor as regular Streamlight white lights, as the laser emitter is in the light reflector, so no odd laser emitter hanging off the bottom like the X400V

Flint_Ironstag
09-10-21, 23:06
Will second Perst 2.

WS6
09-21-21, 15:34
Nothing that fits the bill exists. I am using m300v and m600v and i2 capable optics. Laser units just dont exist in a good form factor for this application.