PDA

View Full Version : M&P Thumb Safety

DBake
12-10-08, 23:27
Just looked and it is now on Smith and Wesson's website and they have listend the M&P thumb safety model for compact and regural sizes in 9mm, 40 S&W and the 357 Sig.

Anyone know when they will be in gun shops? I can't get to mind until Friday..

NCPatrolAR
12-11-08, 00:02
Hilton Yam said that SMith is finishing a contract off and that private purchases should be coming in the very near future.

Mark71
12-11-08, 03:05
Very nice! This makes the M&P even more tempting to get.

RadioActivity
12-11-08, 11:42
effin' finally. I have been waiting to buy the rest of the M&P's I wanted JUST for this reason. Ahhhh finalllyyyyy.

ToddG
12-11-08, 11:50
Actually, S&W had a few contracts worldwide for the first manual safety models.

According to the product manager when I spoke to him yesterday, they are still hoping to have guns on dealer shelves this month. However, most dealers don't know the option exists and don't know the SKU, which means they won't be ordering them. So don't expect to see them at your local Ma & Pa shop unless someone there is very switched on with Smith. But as of now, at least in theory, you should be able to walk into your shop with the SKU (available at the S&W website) and ask them to order it from a distributor.

Smith will have the manual safety guns on display at SHOT next month, after which time you will probably see them begin flowing into the normal retail channel regularly.

Mr. Clean
12-11-08, 12:40
Does anyone (Todd) know if the 9mm FS with TS will be offered as a No Internal Lock, No Mag Safety version?

MaceWindu
12-11-08, 12:57

Ahhhh...why? :confused:

Mace

ToddG
12-11-08, 13:18
Mr. Clean -- To the best of my knowledge, so far they have all been built that way (no internal lock, no mag disconnect).

RadioActivity
12-11-08, 13:28
Ahhhh...why?

Mace

Because you can have it your way?

Some people, including me, like having active safeties. For that bit of protection in a gun grab, for a single manual of arms, for the trigger work possibilities, because it can be removed later if you so choose on the M&P series...

Anywhoo... Someone here knows how excited I am to hear this news ;). I bought my first M&P two years ago, and have been waiting all this time to buy the rest of the series in various calibers with active safeties.

Soon as I come back to the states I'll be buying a 9mmC, .40FS/9mmFS and a .45 Middy all with active safeties. I love the M&P series, but I'd been waiting some time now for this. Some time indeed. :cool:

givo08
12-11-08, 14:19
I like this. The primary reason being I can have the trigger made pretty nice by someone like Dan Burwell and get it down to 4 to 4.5 lbs and have a safety, making it very similar to a 1911. I don't like carrying a DAO style pistol with <5lb trigger.

Now if only they would come out with a 9mm mid size (no beaver tail, 15 rounds, 4" barrel, slightly chopped grip, but not as small as compact). That would give the G19 a real competitor.

C4IGrant
12-11-08, 18:55
Just looked and it is now on Smith and Wesson's website and they have listend the M&P thumb safety model for compact and regural sizes in 9mm, 40 S&W and the 357 Sig.

Anyone know when they will be in gun shops? I can't get to mind until Friday..

I have some 9mm's with thumb safety coming next week.

C4

NCPatrolAR
12-11-08, 23:33
The question now should be; when is Smith going to start making the FDE guns without a manual safety?

OD*
12-12-08, 00:33
They have been out for some time, we've had a M&P 45 w/thumb safety for several weeks now.

Mark71
12-12-08, 01:04
They have been out for some time, we've had a M&P 45 w/thumb safety for several weeks now.

Until now the safety was only available for the .45. Now S&W is having this as a option for the 9mm and .40 S&W.

OD*
12-12-08, 09:21
Until now the safety was only available for the .45. Now S&W is having this as a option for the 9mm and .40 S&W.
I see, thanks, I misunderstood one of the the posts.

signal4l
12-12-08, 09:26
Hopefully S&W will tension the new thumb safties properly. The thumb safety on my 45 would deactivate with very little pressure. It lacked the positive "click" of a goverment model. I had to spend the money to have Mr. Bowie fix it.

MikeCLeonard
12-15-08, 11:49
Are these going to be ambi-safeties or is it just on one side?

I'd like to get one but not if I can't use the Crimson-Trace laser grips.

Thanks!

maximus83
12-15-08, 13:09
The safeties are ambi, as with the other controls on the M&P.

The only question--which I don't know the answer to--is whether you will be able to remove just one side of the safety, say the right side lever, for a scenario such as installing a CT laser grip.

ToddG
12-15-08, 14:06
The safety is ambi.

It's relatively easy to remove the right side lever from the main mechanism, allowing you to mount CTCs on the gun. Lots of great insight on this can be found at The MP-Pistol forum (http://mp-pistol.com[/url), btw.