PDA

View Full Version : Things to look for after firing new rifle

parishioner
12-11-08, 01:00
Im about to get an upper in a couple of weeks and I plan on shooting about 250 rounds through it the first day. I was just wondering what kind of things I should look for after shooting to make sure everything is working properly i.e. wear on certain parts ect. Thanks!

WS6
12-11-08, 04:48
I had a sabre bolt once that had a rough edge and shaved enough brass on extraction with hot 5.56 that it clogged the ejector in it's tunnel. Check for excessively large brass-flakes on the bolt-face and under the extractor. Just my .02

Also, don't freak out, there will be some goodly wear around the cam-pin recess in the upper. IT is normal.

parishioner
12-11-08, 07:48
Will do. Thats what what I want to hear. I expect wear beacause after all it is a machine. I just want to make sure that the wear I see isnt excessive in some areas because I have never shot a new AR only my dads. Thanks.

markm
12-11-08, 08:03
Put some grease on the Cam Pin, and just look for good groups on your target.

The bolt should be pretty wet with lube forward of the rings. Anything behind the rings will get blown out the gas ports after 1 or 2 shots, so you're wasting lube back there.