PDA

View Full Version : New gun safe

HwyKnight
12-11-08, 05:06
Just bought my first gun safe. Any special concerns about storing my guns in it? Should I buy a dehumidifier etc.?

Dave L.
12-11-08, 05:26
Just bought my first gun safe. Any special concerns about storing my guns in it? Should I buy a dehumidifier etc.?

I put guns that have sentimental value in those cheap $5 silicon impregnated gun sacks. This keeps them from being dented and keeps the moisture off them.
I have no experience with dehumidifiers but I'm interested.

thopkins22
12-11-08, 08:56
Go by Walmart and buy one of the refillable "Damp Rid" canisters...it will eventually run out of active ingredient, leaving you with a jar of water...at which point you flush it and refill.

I've seen things in Bass Pro that do the same thing, and cost way more.

Dave L. Have you had good luck avoiding corrosion with the silicone sacks? Any finish issues with it? I have no experience with them...just curious.

Walker Precision
12-11-08, 10:46
Get one of the Goldenrod type dehumidifiers. It will gently heat the inside of the safe to drive out moisture. Your guns will thank you. The silica stuff will need to be "recharged" or replaced on a regular basis. Too much hassle for me. I plug the heater in, and then just check it once in a while to make sure it's still working. I had one die a few years ago.

Gutshot John
12-11-08, 10:55
The silica stuff will need to be "recharged" or replaced on a regular basis. Too much hassle for me.

To "recharge" the silica all you have to do is put the can in an oven for a little bit to evaporate the absorbed moisture per the instructions and you'll be fine.

No hassle really.

HwyKnight
12-11-08, 12:07
my safe does not have a outlet inside, will the cord go through the door gap or will I have to drill a hole in the darn thing?

Walker Precision
12-11-08, 14:39
my safe does not have a outlet inside, will the cord go through the door gap or will I have to drill a hole in the darn thing?

There should be a small hole in the back. You may have to poke a hole through the drywall and carpet.

carbean
12-11-08, 22:14
goldenrod is the way to go. there are different sizes of them. google goldenrod and you will be able to see what sizes are recommended for what size safe. <cubic feet> they run on very little wattage so they don`t cost zip. they slightly change the inside temp. of the safe and therefore eliminate humidity the arch enemy of your weapons. they are not expensive.

HwyKnight
12-13-08, 09:43
Any reason not to keep the safe in the garage? It will get well below freezing during winter. Cold temps any threat to guns or ammo?

MAUSER202
12-13-08, 20:56
I do recamend bolting it down. Look for a u tube video on gunsafes, even a 700lb one is easy to get in to when its on its side.

Abraxas
12-13-08, 21:14
A common ploy is to push the safe over and hack through the back where the metal is the thinnest with an ax. So at least make them work for it and bolt it down as suggested.

Boris
12-13-08, 21:15
Depending on your environment and where you store the safe in your home. I live in a humid town during the summers, keep my safe in a basement and have to have dehumidifiers running in the room just to keep the moisture down for mildew purposes. I use Desi Paks in my safe http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1152&title=DESI%20PAK~ They work for me and maintain less than 40% humidity in the summer. Currently it's 32% humidity inside my safe because it's cold and dry weather right now. I keep a digital temp/humidity gauge inside my safe to monitor it.

Perhaps someone could comment as to what is optimum/acceptable humidity levels for firearms. From there you could measure the inside humidity inside your safe and decide how much you need to invest into combating the elements.

Good luck.

-B

MAUSER202
12-13-08, 21:22
Depending on your environment and where you store the safe in your home. I live in a humid town during the summers, keep my safe in a basement and have to have dehumidifiers running in the room just to keep the moisture down for mildew purposes. I use Desi Paks in my safe http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1152&title=DESI%20PAK~ They work for me and maintain less than 40% humidity in the summer. Currently it's 32% humidity inside my safe because it's cold and dry weather right now. I keep a digital temp/humidity gauge inside my safe to monitor it.

Perhaps someone could comment as to what is optimum/acceptable humidity levels for firearms. From there you could measure the inside humidity inside your safe and decide how much you need to invest into combating the elements.

Good luck.

-B

I know that wood such as a gun stock is best at 45-50%. Too much and it swells, too little and it dries out and cracks. As for the gun metal it self I think 45-50% would be fine also.

John Fettes
12-14-08, 19:25
Cold temps any threat to guns or ammo?

I think that the time it takes the temperature to change inside of the safe may be an issue. Gradual change vs. rapid change may reduce the chance of condensation.

Bolting it down is a good idea.

John

RWK
12-14-08, 22:04

Some things depend upon the type of safe. If you have an el cheapo safe some things may or may not apply.

A dehumidifier is absolutely necessary if your safe is not in a climate controlled environment (garage, basement, etc.). It's less important if it's in your living room, for example.

You should definitely bolt the safe to the floor. The issue is preventing the safe from being laid on its back where more leverage can be applied against the door.

Gunrider
12-14-08, 22:09
As I said in my article in the latest AMERICAN HANDGUNNER --
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Delivery-email.jpg

BOLT IT DOWN

One man with an appliance dolly can remove a 700 pound safe and take it apart in his crib later.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/safe--sound.jpg

If you liv where humidity is a concern, Golden rod is great (all these quality safes have a hole in the back for the cord) but you can buy a BOX of silica gel similar to what you'd have in a humidor and leave it on a shelf.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/inside-safe.jpg

twodollarbill
12-14-08, 22:23
If you open your safe as much as I do.....Five plus times a day sometimes. (I know, it's just a sickness)
You must control the amount of humidity in the room with a room dehumidifier.
A "goldenrod" will help....but every time you open the safe's door equalizes the environment inside and out.
Long term storage.....a goldenrod is a must.

MisterWilson
12-14-08, 22:25
In a slightly related note...

I say this as a prior insurance guy, in addition to a quality safe, having proper homeowners/renters insurance coverage is a GREAT idea, especially relative to the amount of $$$ you're putting towards protecting your investments.

If your current insurance company is iffy about guns, find new insurance. If you're already with a good company, go & actually SIT DOWN with your agent for a face-to-face meeting and discuss what meets your needs best with regards to coverage & deductibles. Most people don't know what their limits are and if you've got even $5,000 in guns, it would be wise to make sure that it's covered.

Also, the NRA is supposed to have some bomb-diggity firearms insurance up to $1000 IIRC that's included with every membership.

Sorry for the boring talk, but if you're serious about protecting your toys, insurance should be high on your list of priorities.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
04-23-11, 20:46
I'm resurrecting this thread as I am searching for a way to keep my humidity level low inside my walk in vault. It is heated and cooled and has a return vent. Some of my well worn guns collect a little rust from time to time. I have a plug in outlet and was thinking about getting one of those canister dehumidifies. Any suggestions? There are a zillion ones to choose from and that drives me nuts. Can't make up my mind. Thanks.

Hmac
04-23-11, 20:53
Any reason not to keep the safe in the garage? It will get well below freezing during winter. Cold temps any threat to guns or ammo?
As long as you keep the temp in the safe above the dew point, like with a Gold N' Rod, you won't have any humidity from the condensation that occurs as your garage cycles from cool to warm temps on a daily basis. The temps themselves aren't the problem, hot or cold. The problem is when the temps inside the safe approach the dew point inside the safe.

Rebel Rifle Ordnance
04-23-11, 21:36
As long as you keep the temp in the safe above the dew point, like with a Gold N' Rod, you won't have any humidity from the condensation that occurs as your garage cycles from cool to warm temps on a daily basis. The temps themselves aren't the problem, hot or cold. The problem is when the temps inside the safe approach the dew point inside the safe.

Hmac, you do realize your response to HwyKnight is over two years old? lol, I was resurrecting it to see if I could get some thoughts on a dehumidifier.

Hmac
04-23-11, 21:53
Hmac, you do realize your response to HwyKnight is over two years old? lol, I was resurrecting it to see if I could get some thoughts on a dehumidifier.
No, I didn't notice. Your your problem and solutions are the same as his...keeping the air in your safe dry with a dehumidifier like and Eva-Dry, or keep the temp above the dew point at all times with something like a Gold N' Rod.