PDA

View Full Version : 870 Police vs. berreta 1201fp

rugerdawg
12-11-08, 13:34
I have an opportunity to trade a new 870 police with tritium ghost ring sights, sidesaddle shell holder and a speedlock pistol gripped stock for an older beretta 1201fp. I'm not familiar with the beretta, although I've heard it descibed as the "poor man's " bennelli m1. It sounds interesting but I could use some feedback from those of you who have some experience with one.

GlockWRX
12-11-08, 14:40
I had a 1201FP for a while and sold it. I didn't care for it because it had a complicated manual of arms (meaning I was too lazy to become proficient with it) and was sharper than a box of knives. Just loading it brought cuts and scrapes to my fingers. IMO you've got the best fighting shotgun already. The 1201 is very much like a Benelli and many parts interchange. But I wouldn't trade an 870P for a Benelli, so I wouldn't trade one for it's cheaper little brother either.

ToddG
12-11-08, 14:57
I used one for a few years while working at Beretta and never had a problem. Very easy to shoot fast. But, quite a few departments have had problems with them ranging from an inability to zero the guns to more serious reliability issues.

LAV is very fond of saying that the Benelli is a poor excuse for a fighting shotgun, and the 1201 is a poor excuse for a Benelli. :eek:

There just isn't much you need a shotgun for that can't be accomplished with an 870.

subzero
12-11-08, 18:20
A friend and I shot one and we were fairly impressed with it. He ended up getting one used since his 870 was indisposed. When we shot my Benelli back to back with his 1201, the 1202 came off as inferior. It'll beat you up. I think the rear sight broke off, or something along those lines. Couple that with LAVs advice to ditch it, and he ended up selling it off in favor of a Remington 1100. I don't think he regrets that at all.

On my scale of auto shotguns, the 1201 ranks a distant fourth behind the Benelli M1, Winchester Super X2 (or FN clone) and Remington 1100/11-87. The Beretta might be even lower as soon as I think of some other decent autoloader shotguns I've shot.

I wouldn't trade a perfectly good 870 for a 1201, for sure.

Ross
12-12-08, 09:03
I have a 1201FP and a Benelli M1S90, along with various other scatterguns. Beretta owns Benelli and the 1201 is basically the M1S90 with slight changes, mostly cosmetic. The Benelli is set up a little more user friendly, but basically they're the same shotgun.

I like the Beretta/Benelli. They're fast, accurate, and I've never had a problem with either one. I'm not a big shotgun guy either, so this is not expert opinion, just owner opinion. I'd rely on either one, but frankly I don't think I'd trade an 870 as you describe for one. I'd just keep the 870 and call it good.

Bigun
12-15-08, 02:20
I had a 1201 fp with the pistol grip stock and rifle sights.
+'s Fast shooting, Reliable and accurate with slugs. I also ran a perfect 25 in a round of skeet with it on a dare.:D
-'s as stated it has a few sharp edges, mine wouldnt put slugs and Buck to the same point of aim at 25 yds, never understood the stupid aluminum sleeve around the tube magazine, limited Mag capacity.

If you are familiar with the Benelli manual of arms it is a way to get a decent fighting shotgun for a portion of the price you have to pay for the Benelli. I prefer the Remington 1100 in auto's and would probably keep my 870 police over the 1201 but if you are looking for something differant it wont let you down.

padwan
12-15-08, 16:22
I've tried the Benellis and the Berettas before. Maybe it's just me but I felt they kicked more than the 870 I have, given stocks with equal LOPs.

Once I had a shorter stock on my 870, the pump proved to feel better in recoil. Am not aware of non-gunsmith options for a short stock on a 1201. Like some Benellis, the 1201 can be sensitive to weight changes brought about by adding sidesaddles, etc. to the gun. I've seen a few in a class I attended that were erratic until they took off the sidesaddles.

GLOCKMASTER
12-15-08, 19:43
I would keep the 870 as I do not think the 1201 is still in production so your parts availability would be very limited. Plus it can be very finicky and I see them fail on a regular basis during qualifications. I base this opinion on the fact that I have carried one since 1989ish and IMHO it is not the most reliable semi-auto loading SG out there. We are a trying to replace ours just as fast as we can.

BTW....I also own an 870.

Stinx
12-15-08, 22:20
My agency currently has Beretta 1201 shotguns in use. We are looking to get out of them as quick as possible-they are garbage. Every one has had problems-they suck so bad we actually contemplated bringing our old Benelli M-121's back into service. We are phasing out the Berettas and replacing them with new Benellis. Ironically Beretta owns Benelli. THe 1201' are ok for light duty but can not take beeing shot alot.Get an 870 or Benelli m2 tactical or M-4

rugerdawg
12-16-08, 08:26
I'd like to thank all of those who contributed their knowledge to my question. I've decided to keep my 870, as it seems to be "good to go" for my needs.

hags
12-16-08, 21:57
Jeez, I recently picked up a Beretta M1200FP that was a police trade in. I couldn't be happier. It looks like it was shot little and is super clean and I got it for a song.

Shoots as well as any other semi-auto I've shot, though recoil is sharper than gas operated semis. Mine puts slugs to POA out to 25 yards which is as far as I have shot it.

Obviously not everyone has had the same experience, unless the 1200 is that much different than the 1201.

Jager
12-16-08, 23:20
I love my 1201FP. I've carried it on duty for over ten years, attended classes with it, and shot more matches with it than I care to remember. I shoot everything from light field loads to three inch magnum slugs and have not had a problem. It is not the most simple weapon to operate, and problems occur when persons unfamiliar with it attempt to use it. It replaced my S&W 3000 pump gun, I like it but prefer the Beretta. That being said; I have a Saiga 12 enroute.