PDA

View Full Version : Best Night Sights--UPDATE: Decided and Installed w/PICS

blackscot
12-11-08, 13:41
Well, I am now somewhere into my third year carrying a Glock 19 for everyday self defense. Earlier efforts to supplant it with a M&P9 or HK P30 were not successful. So I guess it's a keeper, and I should go ahead with whatever else I think it might need. (I finally ordered the proper length IWB holster from FIST ; the one I have been using sized for a G26 works, but leaves about a half inch of muzzle exposed.)

And dang, it sure seems to be getting dark a lot earlier lately (not that I've ever needed an explanation for walking around in the dark.....:rolleyes: ) So, maybe a good set of night sights would be worthwhile.

I'd like something I can install myself, cuz (1) I just like doing my own work, and (2) I don't want to part with the gun, to be sent off or left somewhere.

Other desirables include a good sight picture (--duh), and resistance to getting banged up (probably anything will be an improvement over the factory sights).

Cost is, well.....not a no-issue, but I'm willing to pay a little more for what will fill-the-bill. I know that good night sights aren't cheap.

So, recommendations ???

John_Wayne777
12-11-08, 14:11
Warren's 2 dot night sights are without a doubt the best sight arrangement I've ever tried. I have them on all my Glocks and I'm putting them on all my M&P's.

http://mle-shootingsports.com/Sights-WTS---Sights/c7_28/p87/WTS---Warren-Tactical-Sets/product_info.html

ToddG
12-11-08, 14:15
Warren's 2 dot night sights are without a doubt the best sight arrangement I've ever tried.

+1
(this message will be too short)

Vom Kriege
12-11-08, 14:41
I'm a big fan of the Ameriglo Pro Series Operators

www.ameriglo.com

Check them out in the online store. They have an extra-wide rear notch.

GlockWRX
12-11-08, 15:08
I've always liked the Trijicons with the yellow rear and green front. It really pulls your eye to the green front sight, but allows you to line up with the yellow easily.

JimmyB62
12-11-08, 15:08
Warren's 2 dot night sights are without a doubt the best sight arrangement I've ever tried. I have them on all my Glocks and I'm putting them on all my M&P's.

In the three dot tritium set is the green front/yellow rear the standard? This is what I want to get and want to make sure there's not a green/green option I need to avoid. The various websites (including Warren's) weren't clear for me.

Thanks.

John_Wayne777
12-11-08, 16:49
In the three dot tritium set is the green front/yellow rear the standard? This is what I want to get and want to make sure there's not a green/green option I need to avoid. The various websites (including Warren's) weren't clear for me.

Thanks.

The fronts and rears are different colors. The rears are also smaller and "subdued" so they aren't as bright as the front. This helps draw focus to the front sight. I have the 3 dot arrangement on my main carry M&P and it is pretty good...but I prefer the 2 dot setup.

subzero
12-11-08, 18:24
1. Heinie Slant Pro straight 8s.
2. Warrens in a dot-on-dot configuration.

Only reason I put the Heinies higher is the finish seems less prone to wear and I prefer a serrated sight.

blackscot
12-14-08, 12:38
Thanks for the steers fellas. I'll check out these leads.

Deputy91
12-14-08, 18:59
I use trijicons on all of my glocks (try to standardize sight picture). The other options offer a great picture, but if you are deciding between trijicons and glock. the instructor at the Glock Armorers 'school' stated that the glock sights are NOT date stamped and are 'relamped' free under warranty. Trijicons are date stamped and are 'relamped' for a nominal fee.

Just FYI

-Mike.

Gentoo
12-15-08, 01:10
Are the 2 dot sights you guys are talking about the ones where one dot is on top of another?

Like the ones top center in this photo?

http://mle-shootingsports.com/popup_image.php?pID=87&image=6&osCsid=8cf9de755a9d04429a5b00cc8a7ec854

John_Wayne777
12-15-08, 06:43
Are the 2 dot sights you guys are talking about the ones where one dot is on top of another?

Like the ones top center in this photo?

http://mle-shootingsports.com/popup_image.php?pID=87&image=6&osCsid=8cf9de755a9d04429a5b00cc8a7ec854

Arrr....those be the ones, matey.....

Gentoo
12-15-08, 08:37
Arrr....those be the ones, matey.....

thank ye, me hearty :D

variablebinary
12-15-08, 10:54
Trijicon is what I prefer

Jay870
12-15-08, 11:10
I have Warren Sevigny Carry with plain rear & tritium front. I didn't care for the "stepped" shoulders on the standard Warrens.

The only thing I dislike about them is that edges of the rear sight channel are sharp, and I mean SHARP! One of these days I'll remember to bevel that edge a little with a file.

LSK
12-15-08, 12:04
I have been using Warrens since they came out. I think they are the best rear sight for my use. I just installed a set of Ameriglo Pro glo's on a Glock 19. The front sight is .140 wide with a large tritium dot that is set in a orange luminova background. The front sight is highly visible but is only .165 tall. I am using an Ameriglo plain rear sight with a .180 notch. If Ameriglo would make this front sight available in a .215 height then it could be used with a Warren rear sight. For me it would be the best sight for a Glock 19.

blackscot
12-16-08, 08:38
Hey guys, what about the user installation? Do I need to buy one of those multi-$$$ sight-pusher dealies? Seems like a lot to spend for something I'll probably never use twice......:confused:

BTW -- a lot of these sights look pretty good to me. I'll want something with a distinct difference between front and rear, i.e. different size or color dot, etc. I like that the Trijicons can be "re-lamped". Not sure how picky I am over difference among the profiles, as long as it will take a knock or two. There is more of a range in prices than I expected -- choice might boil down to that.

John_Wayne777
12-16-08, 08:44
If you don't know someone who has a pusher for a Glock, it's best to buy one. I also thought that I'd be spending 60 bucks for a tool I'd use once....that was several Glocks and several sight changes per-Glock ago.

It has more than paid for itself.

You can use the Neanderthal method of hammer and punch if you wish, but the chances of breaking something is much higher that way.

EDIT -- You're in Virginia, right? I'm more than willing to lend you my Glock tools. (Front sight tool and rear sight pusher). If you shoot me an IM with your address I'll box them up and throw them in the mail and then you can ship them back when you're done with the install.

Deputy91
12-16-08, 08:46
Front sight is fairly easy if you get the design that uses a screw (use loctite) instead of the crimp. The rear sight fits into a dovetail. the glock tool is about 60-70 but if you ask around someone might have one or give the local gun shop 10-20 to do it for you.

-Mike.

blackscot
12-16-08, 08:57
......You're in Virginia, right? I'm more than willing to lend you my Glock tools. (Front sight tool and rear sight pusher). If you shoot me an IM with your address I'll box them up and throw them in the mail and then you can ship them back when you're done with the install.

That is very generous of you. :)

And yes, I'm outside of Richmond. I'll go ahead and settle on a choice of something, and once they come in I'll IM you.

Thanks much ! ! ! :D

John_Wayne777
12-16-08, 09:07
That is very generous of you. :)

And yes, I'm outside of Richmond. I'll go ahead and settle on a choice of something, and once they come in I'll IM you.

Thanks much ! ! ! :D

What can I say....I'm a giver.

Forgot to ask this earlier:

You're doing this on a 9mm/.40/.357 sig Glock, right? The sight pusher I have only works on the 9mm sized Glocks, not the .45ACP sized Glocks.

blackscot
12-16-08, 09:54
......You're doing this on a 9mm/.40/.357 sig Glock, right? The sight pusher I have only works on the 9mm sized Glocks, not the .45ACP sized Glocks.

Correct, subject is a G19 (9mm).

Welp, it looks like the Trijicons have the same size front and rear dots. Although different colors are available, I don't think that would work as well for me as the different sized dots.

The Ameriglo's provide a different size option, costing $99 for either the conventional or ramped profile.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/sights/amglo-1.jpg http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/sights/amglo-2.jpg

The Warren's provide both a different size and color, but for the 3-dot config cost a hefty $128.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/sights/warren.gif

The 2-dot, however, is the marginally more palatable cost of $115. I might actually like this set-up the best anyway. I've used similar designs among some non-night sights (I think the original Kahrs used to come with something like this).

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/sights/warren-single.gif

Shall wait a day or so to make sure of the choice, but likely go ahead with the 2-dot Warrens.

Thanks again, eviebuddy ! ! ! :p

blackscot
12-16-08, 10:10
......I've used similar designs among some non-night sights (I think the original Kahrs used to come with something like this).

I remember now, in addition to the Kahr K9......

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/sights/kahr.jpg

.....it was also the Tappan sight by Kings Gunworks that I had on a 1911 years ago (I just now borrowed this pic off a chat board somewhere).

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/sights/tappan.jpg

Fringe
12-16-08, 11:25
What is a good Glock 9mm sight pusher and where to buy?
Thanks.

John_Wayne777
12-16-08, 11:46
What is a good Glock 9mm sight pusher and where to buy?
Thanks.

The MGW tool is probably the most widely used. I believe armorers like GotM4 have expressed greater satisfaction with that tool than with the Glock branded tool. You can get them from lots of places. I bought my Ameriglo tool years ago from GlockMeister.

blackscot
12-16-08, 12:16
I used to have an MGM sight pusher for 1911's. It was a well-made item.

diverge
12-16-08, 23:33
There are two different kinds of sight pushers that MGW makes for Glocks. One is for standard angled side sights like meps, trijicons, and Ameriglo. The other is for higher and straight sided sights like heinie and sevigny rear sights.

I have the straight sided MGW rear sight pusher. I've used it to push the standard angled side sights with no problem. None were a tight fit.

diverge
12-16-08, 23:47
I'm a big fan of the Ameriglo Pro Series Operators

www.ameriglo.com

Check them out in the online store. They have an extra-wide rear notch.

Green front and yellow rear. Three dot. Front sight has white circle but rear is all black. Rear is wider. Great sight picture.

For NS I've had meps, trijicon, and sivegny carry and I prefer ameriglo operator pro.

I take crappy pics but here ya go.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3217/3110176042_9eb3063f2b_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/3106169723_5f977dfec0.jpg

Robb Jensen
12-17-08, 05:45
The MGW tool is probably the most widely used. I believe armorers like GotM4 have expressed greater satisfaction with that tool than with the Glock branded tool. You can get them from lots of places. I bought my Ameriglo tool years ago from GlockMeister.

At work I have two MGW Glock sight tools (old and new style) and three Glock OEM sights tools (old style, two 9mms and one 10mm). I only use the OEM sight tools for installing Trijicons on Glock slides, for everything else I install the rear using the MGW tools.

As of the last 8 months or so I've had to start using the OEM tools to remove the factory rear. Glock changed the construction of the factory rear sights and if the sight tool doesn't push the sight low enough it'll push the plastic part right off of the metal part and leave the metal part in the dovetail. The OEM sight tool supports the complete side of the rear sights. For front sights I have about 4-5 nutdriver tips from various places. For starting the screw I use the aluminum 3/16" nutdrivers that come with Dawson Glock front sights. Then once it's started well I use one of the steel front sight tools. I use blue or red Loc-Tite on the front sight screws.

Installing sights on a Glock takes me about 3 min.
SIG-Sauer pistols takes me about 5 min.
Kimber pistols takes me about 15 min depending on the brand of sights.
HK pistols takes about 4 min.
M&Ps take about 5 min.
XDs pistols take about 5 min of labor but I stick the slide in the freezer for a min of 20 min before attempting to make the sights slide off more easily. Sometimes I have to do that with Kimber slides too.

blackscot
12-17-08, 06:27
......I take crappy pics but here ya go.....

Those are way-cool pics! Making me think again about the Ameriglo. I didn't realize the front/rear colors were different -- they don't look it from their web-site pics (copied above). Is that an extra option? ETA - I see now from their web site that green-green or green-yellow are offered.

At work I have......

Robb has the wayest-cool job in the world ! ! ! :D

M4arc
12-17-08, 06:34
There are two different kinds of sight pushers that MGW makes for Glocks. One is for standard angled side sights like meps, trijicons, and Ameriglo. The other is for higher and straight sided sights like heinie and sevigny rear sights.

I have the straight sided MGW rear sight pusher. I've used it to push the standard angled side sights with no problem. None were a tight fit.

Do you need a sloped or straight MGW tool for installing Warren Tactical sights?

Robb Jensen
12-17-08, 06:38
Do you need a sloped or straight MGW tool for installing Warren Tactical sights?

The newer straight/tall MGW tools works best but I've installed plenty using the older silver colored MGW standard Glock sight tool.

John_Wayne777
12-17-08, 08:39
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/3106169723_5f977dfec0.jpg

Incidentally that's the best picture demonstration of why I don't like standard 3 dot arrangements. Mind if I steal that picture to put into my low light writeup?

Limey-
12-18-08, 10:09
A mallet and a short nylon rod with a vice works great. On a glock takes 2-3 minites tops. Hk maybe 5 minutes (they are tight!!!). I have done a dozen or so glocks this way.

diverge
12-18-08, 11:16
Incidentally that's the best picture demonstration of why I don't like standard 3 dot arrangements. Mind if I steal that picture to put into my low light writeup?

Sure, no problem. I look forward to reading it.

John_Wayne777
12-18-08, 11:56
Well you don't have to wait...it's been tacked in the Tactics section for a while:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16114

Thanks for allowing me to borrow that picture. I get questions about the sight portion of my writeup all the time as it relates to 3 dot setups, and your picture helps illustrate my point better than anything I've been able to take myself.

I suck at photography.

GlockWRX
12-18-08, 12:23

I'll throw my two cents in: the yellow rear sights on my Trijicons are not nearly that bright. They are much more subdued, and allow the eye to be drawn to the much brighter green front sight.

I will say though, the green/green 3 dots I've had were more confusing than the yellow/green sights, and I can see how they could slow you down in dark conditions.

I'm torn between having Tooltech put in the yellow/green combo on my HK45, or try the Heinie's.

blackscot
12-22-08, 08:15
Welp sirs, I decided on the Warren 2-dot set-up, and with hep from John_Wayne777 lending me his front-sight wrench and rear-sight pusher, got them in over the weekend. (Holster is FIST ultrathin kydex IWB with split-J belt loop.)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/sights/full.jpg

Had to make a couple test shoots and re-adjusts to get the windage just right -- simply centering the rear sight on the slide isn't precise enough. Elevation is non-adjustable. Aligning the tops of the front and rear sights like this:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/sights/front_1.jpg

puts point-of-impact about an inch high at 10 yards. Correct sight picture requires ignoring the outline of the irons and placing the front dot directly on top of the rear, like this:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/sights/front_2.jpg

which is what you would be doing under low-light conditions anyway, and looks like this:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/sights/night_1.jpg

So now I'm equally self-defended during either our short winter days or long winter nights. Thanks again to John_Wayne777 for the tools lend, and to everybody for the interest and feedback. :)

skyugo
12-22-08, 13:37
i'm getting a set of trijicons installed (green/yellow) on my G19 as we speak...

i'm fascinated by those XS 24/7 sights, but i think i'd be frustrated with them when shooting precision at the range....

the trijicons cost less than heinies or XS sights even including installation too. :eek:

JBRIII
12-23-08, 08:06
i'm getting a set of trijicons installed (green/yellow) on my G19 as we speak...

i'm fascinated by those XS 24/7 sights, but i think i'd be frustrated with them when shooting precision at the range....

the trijicons cost less than heinies or XS sights even including installation too. :eek:

take the xs plunge you will not be disappointed. precision shooting issues with them is a myth. I can make headshots @ 40 yards with relative ease. practice with them like you would any other and you'll be gtg. There is notheing better for quick shots on the move or speed draw and shoot.

ToddG
12-23-08, 10:01
http://www.berro.com/test_pre_schoolers/banging%20the%20wall%20cartoon%20berro%20website.gif

John_Wayne777
12-23-08, 11:21
So now I'm equally self-defended during either our short winter days or long winter nights. Thanks again to John_Wayne777 for the tools lend, and to everybody for the interest and feedback. :)

Happy to be of assistance. Fedex dropped the stuff off at my front door a minute ago.

blackscot
12-23-08, 11:30
Happy to be of assistance. Fedex dropped the stuff off at my front door a minute ago.

Wow -- that was fast!

Installation was a snap. It pays to have the right tools......especially when you don't have to pay for them. :p

Now I have to get out and get conditioned to that new sight picture.