PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket trigger guard tolerance stacking

opngrnd
09-04-21, 16:49
Went to install a Magpul trigger guard and noticed it sat proud of the bottom of the magwell at the location of the Gen3 PMAG overinsertion tab. Given this can possibly limit the upward movement of a Gen 3 Pmag, I took a couple minutes and removed a little bit of polymer and called it a day.

What trigger guards do you prefer, and does it sit proud of the height of the magwell?

09-04-21, 19:21
I’ve had to do that with all the Magpul plastic trigger guards lately.

Definitely something to check for.

GH41
09-04-21, 19:44
Just another couple of reasons to avoid Magpul gen 3 magazines and trigger guards.

opngrnd
09-04-21, 19:50
Just another couple of reasons to avoid Magpul gen 3 magazines and trigger guards.

I'm quite content with the Gen 3 PMAGs. What specifically don't you like about them? I agree on the trigger guard, but recognize it was designed prior to the Gen3 PMAG, which is (I'm guessing) designed off of a mil-spec lower with a mil-spec trigger guard. Also, which trigger guards do you prefer?

Disciple
09-04-21, 19:50
No problems with a BCM polymer trigger guard on a Mega Machine receiver.

GH41 what other reasons are there to avoid third generation PMAGs?

opngrnd
09-04-21, 20:05
I won't be swapping anything out at the moment, but this does make me curious which other options don't sit proud of the magwell.

Further discussing the M3 mags, I have had one malfunction during my 4 years shooting of attending "combat matches", and it was the was from the only non-M3 mag I had. Probably a complete coincidence, but it still almost cost me enough points to lose my placement in the match. :(

09-04-21, 21:04
I would do whatever is needed to make an AR accept Gen M3 Pmags.

I fixed a few of the notorious BCM lowers to use them. Worth it.

Gen M3 Pmags, IMO, are the single most significant reliability enhancement you can use.

ViniVidivici
09-05-21, 01:45
We use Magpul triggerguards, like the shape and the fact they fill up the gap between grip and triggerguard.

Never a problem with them, in multiple different brand lowers, but the only gen3 Pmags we run are 20 rounders (no problems with those) everything else is gen 2 or GI.

AndyLate
09-05-21, 06:16
It is ironic to me that Magpul's trigger guards may interfere with Magpul's magazines.

I prefer to use the aluminum Magpul trigger guards, but neither of the two guns we have with the poly trigger guards have an issue with M3 Pmags.

Andy

1_click_off
09-05-21, 10:01
I had to modify a magpul trigger guard to fit my Centurion lower so the roll pin would line up.

Beat Trash
09-05-21, 12:34
Is the issue with the MagPul trigger guard, or is it with the lower being out if spec?

I have MagPul trigger guards in multiple Daniel Defense V7 rifles and Colt 6920’s. None of which interfere with using M3 PMAGS.

opngrnd
09-05-21, 12:42
Is the issue with the MagPul trigger guard, or is it with the lower being out if spec?

I have MagPul trigger guards in multiple Daniel Defense V7 rifles and Colt 6920’s. None of which interfere with using M3 PMAGS.

No issues yet per se, looking at other rifles it sits a hair proud in several of them. After seeing how the thread about BCM lowers not working with M3 mags, I'm not sure there is a definite spec. Simply thinking there's no reason for it not to be flush with the bottom of the magwell. Since I was assembling one anyway, I took a minute and removed a small mount of polymer, and then wondered how other options compare. Forward Controls Design seems to pay attention in this particular area. This may be more of an OCD moment than anything else.

1_click_off
09-05-21, 13:42
LE6920 in foreground and Centurion in the background. The Centurion seems to have had machining done after it was anodized and then touched up in areas, some areas are still bare aluminum. Centurion did offer to make it right by Cerekoting it, so don’t take away I was stiffed by them. I just declined to take them up on the offer. 66400