PDA

View Full Version : Being Older than Dirt

CarlosDJackal
12-11-08, 14:00
I got this via e-mail. I scored a 20. :p Enjoy!!

PLEASANT MEMORIES

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. ! 'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER! owned their own house, wore

Levis , set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 5. It was, of course, black and white,

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 4. It was an old black Dodge.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at 6AM every morning. On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

-------------------------- Older Than Dirt Quiz --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about.

1 Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6 . Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S& H greenstamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

I might be older than dirt but those memories are the best part of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really OLD friends.

ToddG
12-11-08, 14:11

(my score, not my age :p)

Buckeye67
12-11-08, 14:20
14 for me. I'm 41. :cool:

philinmedford
12-11-08, 14:20
ummm 25......

I didn't realize #2 didn't exist anymore.

Number 5 is still at some "retro" places.

Ditto on #23.

warpigM-4
12-11-08, 14:57
I turn 40 on the 26 .I remember rotor phones.milk men ,3 channels on tv that all sign off at midnight,drive in movies ,candy cigs,wax coke bottles with sugar water no wally world k-mart,zayers,woolworths,greenstamps and on saturday cartoons where over when soultrain came on:Ddamn I am getting old

ToddG
12-11-08, 14:59
Who remembers E Tickets?

m4fun
12-11-08, 15:08
11 as well - and I am 41 - was just discussing how "politically incorrect" the bubble gum cigarettes are and as kids we all loved them.

luxor
12-11-08, 15:17
I got a twenty. I did'nt think i was that old.

UDT
12-11-08, 15:26
21 - and I am older than dirt.

bkb0000
12-11-08, 15:37
i got a 2... hahahhaa, old ****ers.

Gutshot John
12-11-08, 15:40
I got a twenty. I did'nt think i was that old.

You're not I got 21.

Paladin4415
12-11-08, 15:47
16.....damn you. :D

decodeddiesel
12-11-08, 16:30
I am only 30 and i still got 7...

Tim775
12-11-08, 16:43
I got 24. Don't remember newsreels. I don't feel older than dirt. Our first TV, black and white, of course, had about a 13" screen in a huge cabinet our stove didn't have a pilot light, had to use a match to light the burners. I'll stop here, I'm starting to feel older than dirt.

bkb0000
12-11-08, 16:52
a lot of the score will also depend on where you grew up.. if you grew up in chattahooche county georgia you can probably claim 22-24, even if you're only 16.

ThirdWatcher
12-11-08, 16:53
I scored 23. I never saw any newreels, although we never had enough $$$ to go to the movie theater... never was in any place nice enough to park a Packard, either.:)

RSS1911
12-11-08, 17:02
Bullshit. This test is rigged.

SeriousStudent
12-11-08, 17:06
I scored a 22. My fiftieth birthday is in my past, not my future.

Which reminds me of my favorite quote: "Age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time."

kihnspiracy
12-11-08, 17:17
I'm 44 and I scored a 22:( My wife keeps calling me an old man:rolleyes:

cdvanns
12-11-08, 17:46
I remember most of those and how bought B&W tv with NO REMOTES! I remember that one cause if the channel needed changing I was my dad's remote at least a million and a half times.

gyp_c2
12-11-08, 17:47
...I remember 78 rpm records...'nuff said...http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

luxor
12-11-08, 18:26
...I remember 78 rpm records...'nuff said...http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

That don't cut it man, Eight track is where it's at.

Cohibra45
12-11-08, 18:43
I use to have a door to door milk route. That was in the early 70's in Hickory, NC. We didn't use the glass milk bottles, but, I did deliver other things like eggs with the other milk products!!! I use to have the 'city' route and a 'country' route. I had a great lady that was much like my grandmother. Every time I got to her house in the country, she had homemade biscuits with bacon (hand cut thick) and a cup of black coffee. I use to spend some time talking with her and I think she really appreciated it. On my birthday, she baked me a cake and at Christmas, she knitted me an afghan. Great lady and I will always remember her.

Yes, I grew up in the muscle car era. I remember our Chevy dealer in Hickory (Everett's Chevrolet) papering up his show room windows to hide the new cars for the unveiling every year!!! Our first fast food joint was similar to MacDonald's, but not that chain. It was on Hwy 127 in Viewmont and he would take the whole family there on the way home from the grandparents. The burgers were.19 cents and us three boys would eat 4-5 each...cheap now, but I'm sure dad was hoping to get out of there for less than $5. I think he usually did.

The cheapest gas I ever paid for was .17/gal and the usual price was around .27!! My first job at 15 I was making minimum wage of $1.65/hr. I would bring home around $45 dollars every week and I thought I was wealthy.

Enough about the 'good ol days'...they were good, but you didn't think so when you were living through them!!!;)

Ttwwaack
12-11-08, 18:55
20/44 On T day I was talking with my nephew explaining what a bicentenial quarter was.

Mr.Goodtimes
12-11-08, 19:10
i scored a 3, im turning twenty though in two weeks so mabey thats why... the only thing i knew about and even almost remembered was the candy cigarettes. I saw em in wallgreens when i was probably about eight, i wanted some but my mom told me smoking was a bad habit to get into and not cool. so i bitched a little, got smacked, and lectured on cigarettes, and then shut up. Ive never smoked.

adh
12-11-08, 20:08
i got a 2... hahahhaa, old ****ers.

I did laugh out loud when I read this...had to explain to the kids that it was inappropriate for me to explain what I had laughed at.

I got 6....I'm 36

Don Robison
12-11-08, 20:11
Dang, no wonder those young guys have been calling old man this week.
I personally remembered 18 and remember being told by my folks about the other 7.
I also didn't know about Taco Bell and Burger King until I was in the military and didn't eat at a McDonald's until I was 14.

austinN4
12-11-08, 20:13
I scored a 25. Here is number 26 - I remember before TV when we would sit around the console radio listening to programs in the living room as a family! :eek:

C-Fish
12-11-08, 20:16
The only thing I don't remember is "party lines".

HES
12-11-08, 20:26
Ok Im 38, here are the ones that I remember having personal experience with:

2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
10. Butch wax (and I still use it)
11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels)
14. 45 RPM records
15. S& H greenstamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins

Who remembers E Tickets?
I do

twodollarbill
12-11-08, 20:45
I scored a 17
Best memories were from the Drive-ins!!!!
Car load of cheerleaders and a trunk full of beer!!!!

nightw50
12-11-08, 21:08
25 at 59. How about side tie shoes, and 3/4 lenght sleeves.:D

water4545
12-11-08, 21:18
25 - Damn I feel old! Did bring back some great memories though. Think I was 6 or 7 and actually went and saw Howdy Doody LIVE. Everything was live back then.

Gentoo
12-11-08, 22:12
5 here

HAMMERDROP
12-11-08, 22:37
Lest we forget confectionaries, corner butcher shops the huge pickle barrel right
inside the door. How about the word 'Tavern' on a building in the middle of a residential neighborhood or when A&W served root beer in a frosty mug
and carhops wearing roller skates brought it to you !!

signed
Crusty ;)

GunSlinger
12-11-08, 23:01
I'm 34 and scored a 12

I think there is also a big curve in the scoring depending on how poor you grew up

Army Chief
12-12-08, 00:40
43 and I clearly remember at least 18 ... some of which I actually miss. :)

Chief

Army Chief
12-12-08, 00:44
I also didn't know about Taco Bell and Burger King until I was in the military and didn't eat at a McDonald's until I was 14.

Good point. I had my first taco at a neighbor's birthday party when I was around 14, and didn't actually eat in a Taco Bell (or a Burger King) until I was visiting extended family around 16. McDonalds was more familiar, of course, but certainly not regular fare.

Chief

Hiker
12-12-08, 04:51
I'm 35 and got 12.
I also believe this test is racially biased. :)

kennytx
12-12-08, 05:56
18 of them.

Buckaroo
12-12-08, 06:43
18 for me. We still have a Drive-in where we live!

Buckaroo

chuckles
12-12-08, 13:22
Who remembers E Tickets?

best rides in the park. Only got 4 in the magic key book.
I remember all 25. (62) remember hell, I lived with all of them. Studebaker Avante was my dream car and the jump from hi-fi to stereo was big. I remember my College Accounting professor telling us that some day there would be mini calculators that weren't mechanical and that there would even be some that had built in radios. I remember when FM became common. I'll stop here and go get a Geritol cocktail.

BWYoda
12-12-08, 16:51
17 - damn, I'm feeling my age!!!!

bullseye
12-12-08, 17:01
i signed up for medicare this week, that should make me an official geezer.BTW,, i scored 25.

austinN4
12-12-08, 19:18
i signed up for medicare this week, that should make me an official geezer.
Damn, you are older than me! :D

bullseye
12-13-08, 06:14
my wife is 58,, she is a genuine geezer as well, she scored a solid 25 also. reckon some of this has to do with our rural mississippi up-bringing???? [my mom, 96 now got a new washer 'bout 10 years ago,,,yup,, a wringer type. not sure where she found it,, didn't even know they still made them]

Robb Jensen
12-13-08, 06:27
I got 15, I guess I'm pretty old. :eek:

OldNavyGuy
12-13-08, 08:59
all 25 !! just turned 71, plus i recall home butchering of cattle and hogs, hanging the meat in the smoke house, riding on top of a load of hay being pulled by a team of horses, i remember riding on an old steam engine pulling a thrashing machine, http://farm1.static.flickr.com/63/203428082_339cc5771e.jpg?v=0 i stacked shocked wheat and oats cut field corn by hand and stacking it in "Tee-Pee" style, http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/3060213718_4e2b733699.jpg?v=1227659523 i rode in the rumble seat of a http://media.phillyburbs.com/classiccars/39Ford.jpg i pumped gasoline from one of these http://gameroomantiques.com/Photo/GasPumpCook.GIF
and these also http://www.gameroomantiques.com/Photo/GasShell.GIF
speaking of chewing gum, i chewed all these http://www.oldtimecandy.com/images/candypix-pages/black-jack-clove-beemans_small.jpg

and last but not least, i helped my Grandfather load shotgun shells with one of these http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:9njfPfEBRT8J::www.neaca.com/images/Reloading_Tool_US_Cart_Co_10ga_.JPG i done the hand cranking of the crimper

i could go on for several pages of my early childhood years, i'll finish with this http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/g10000/g19930t.jpg
and this http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB162/nagasaki-1_thumb.jpg
and this http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/g330000/g332701t.jpg

life is short, live it to the fullest as if everyday is your last, pass on your memories and experiences to the next generation and thank GOD for your existence :)

ReCon_1
12-13-08, 09:40
27 including the top ones. 55

RogerinTPA
12-13-08, 12:43
I got 15. I still remember TV's without remotes (Me being my dad's remote), Pan American airlines, Soda/Pop & Beer cans with pull rings, Pinto's (The car), GI Joe's without the Kung Fu grip) and Penny candy (Wine candy, Squirrels) that actually cost a penny.

Mark/MO
12-13-08, 15:53
12 at 48.

BTW, I do remember the shaker bottle from when my Mom did ironing. Bet my kids would have no idea what it was either. :)

CarlosDJackal
12-16-08, 16:08
I had my Reserve Drill last weekend and most of the SGTs and SSGs in my unit were either a year or two old OR were not born when I enlisted in the military!!

I am having a heck of a time grasping the fact that I enlisted in the US Army more than a quarter of a freaking Century ago!!! :eek:

In that time period I have been assigned to five sub-organizations (?) of the US Army: Active, Army National Guard, Inactive National Guard, Inactive Ready Reserve, and Army Reserve. Isn't that some shit? :(

MarkC
12-16-08, 17:04
25 at 59. How about side tie shoes, and 3/4 length sleeves.:D

Heh. And how about Cuban heels and horseshoe taps for those pointy toed side tied shoes? I'm 59--but that ain't old. ;)

Vic303
12-16-08, 22:39
16. And I am older than dirt--just ask my kids!

Sudden
12-18-08, 14:48
18 for me. We still have a Drive-in where we live!

Buckaroo

I remember it all. Our last drive-in ran it's last show last weekend.

rat31465
12-18-08, 15:59
I got a nineteen and I am Fourty-three.
OldNavyGuy...I have one of those hand turned shotshell crimpers. Bought it as a decoration for my reloading/gun room for Five Dollars about two years ago.

Bat Guano
12-18-08, 23:30
25!

Got discharged from the USAF 40 years ago this month. Still remember it like yesterday, dancing down the street and through the main gate.

And still not a ^^$#$@ team player.

mike240
12-19-08, 05:07
17!

And we only had Carnation powdered milk that came in a box till I was 5....