PDA

View Full Version : 'The Wire' actor Michael K. Williams found dead in New York apartment

Averageman
09-06-21, 17:35
'The Wire' actor Michael K. Williams found dead in New York apartment
Along with his iconic performance in "The Wire," Williams was praised for his work as Albert "Chalky" White in HBO's "Boardwalk Empire," as well as Jack Gee, the husband of Bessie Smith, in the HBO biopic "Bessie." He also appeared in the Oscar-winning "12 Years a Slave."

Straight Shooter
09-06-21, 19:28
'The Wire' actor Michael K. Williams found dead in New York apartment
Along with his iconic performance in "The Wire," Williams was praised for his work as Albert "Chalky" White in HBO's "Boardwalk Empire," as well as Jack Gee, the husband of Bessie Smith, in the HBO biopic "Bessie." He also appeared in the Oscar-winning "12 Years a Slave."

"Drug paraphernala" found in the apt from what Ive read. Ive never seen nor heard of the guy.

titsonritz
09-06-21, 19:38
Link doesn't work.

pag23
09-06-21, 19:43
"Drug paraphernala" found in the apt from what Ive read. Ive never seen nor heard of the guy.

You never watched " The Wire"... Excellent show

He was the character Omar...

Disciple
09-06-21, 19:48
Link doesn't work.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/06/actor-michael-k-williams-found-dead-in-nyc-apartment/

SteyrAUG
09-06-21, 20:00
Omar's coming.

Averageman
09-06-21, 20:02
https://nypost.com/2021/09/06/actor-michael-k-williams-found-dead-in-nyc-apartment/
New Link.
“The Wire’’ actor Michael K. Williams was found dead of a suspected heroin overdose in his Brooklyn penthouse Monday afternoon, law-enforcement sources told The Post.

Williams, 54, was discovered face-down and unconscious in the dining room of his luxury Williamsburg pad with what appeared to be heroin on the kitchen table, sources said.

What a waste.

Straight Shooter
09-06-21, 20:04
You never watched " The Wire"... Excellent show

He was the character Omar...

Never heard of it. I dont have a tv hooked to anything, not been even plugged in now for a long long time.

GH41
09-06-21, 21:11
New Link.
“The Wire’’ actor Michael K. Williams was found dead of a suspected heroin overdose in his Brooklyn penthouse Monday afternoon, law-enforcement sources told The Post.

Williams, 54, was discovered face-down and unconscious in the dining room of his luxury Williamsburg pad with what appeared to be heroin on the kitchen table, sources said.

What a waste.

Not a waste at all. He got what he deserved. Play stupid games...Win stupid prizes. I wouldn't cry if every junkie in America died tonight.

jmp45
09-06-21, 22:21
New Link.

What a waste.

A waste indeed.. Liked his character in Boardwalk Empire.

SteyrAUG
09-06-21, 23:24
Not a waste at all. He got what he deserved. Play stupid games...Win stupid prizes. I wouldn't cry if every junkie in America died tonight.

While I loved the show and enjoyed his characters, he was given a fair a shot as anyone and was way ahead of the game and at some point decided to try heroin so "good trip bro", don't hate ya but not gonna cry for ya. I would have expected him to have been wiser, but I never knew the man.

I know some people with substance problems that weren't directly their fault, they fell for the myth of a non addictive opioid and were strung out by big pharma. But most of them went looking for a high and to their detriment they found it so good luck with that shit.

gaijin
09-07-21, 05:03
And so it goes….
Natural selection at work.

Averageman
09-07-21, 08:57
While I loved the show and enjoyed his characters, he was given a fair a shot as anyone and was way ahead of the game and at some point decided to try heroin so "good trip bro", don't hate ya but not gonna cry for ya. I would have expected him to have been wiser, but I never knew the man.

I know some people with substance problems that weren't directly their fault, they fell for the myth of a non addictive opioid and were strung out by big pharma. But most of them went looking for a high and to their detriment they found it so good luck with that shit.

Oddly enough, he claimed he became hooked while he was working on "The Wire".

Esq.
09-07-21, 09:20
Life imitates Art I suppose.....

Esq.
09-07-21, 09:21

Your Newsletter, I need a subscription.

Averageman
09-07-21, 10:04
I grew up just North of the Mexican Border, I joined the Military in 80 and shipped out immeadiatly and didn't return home for about five years.
In those five years, I would guess that about 20% of the people I knew became heroin addicts.
It was pretty sick to see at a level where your just dealing with the addiction, but then came AIDS and everything changed. People started dying off.
They learned their lessons, cleaned up the issues with dirty needles and a few older addicts lived on, then came fentynal and boom, they all died.

It's sad, one of those guys I played ball with for four years, not a bad guy, but it just took one time and he was hooked.
And a lot of people snort or smoke it the first couple of times, because it is "Safe".

Hank6046
09-07-21, 10:14

Agreed, he was a great actor and if a movie or show had him in it, I would be more inclined to watch.

I had a great conversation a few years ago with my neighbor who is a lieutenant at the town over from us, a population of less than 6k talk about how residence were getting hooked on things in there 30-50s because they got a prescription for Oxycontin from their local doctor and just couldn't kick the habit, and as someone who has dealt with the VA and other healthcare facilities and how they treat symptoms with pills instead of examining root cause, I can understand that there is more to the story than a high school junkie.

SteyrAUG
09-07-21, 18:13
Oddly enough, he claimed he became hooked while he was working on "The Wire".

Robert Downey Jr, Less Than Zero. Sometimes it's acting, sometimes it's perfect casting.

SteyrAUG
09-07-21, 18:16
I grew up just North of the Mexican Border, I joined the Military in 80 and shipped out immeadiatly and didn't return home for about five years.
In those five years, I would guess that about 20% of the people I knew became heroin addicts.
It was pretty sick to see at a level where your just dealing with the addiction, but then came AIDS and everything changed. People started dying off.
They learned their lessons, cleaned up the issues with dirty needles and a few older addicts lived on, then came fentynal and boom, they all died.

It's sad, one of those guys I played ball with for four years, not a bad guy, but it just took one time and he was hooked.
And a lot of people snort or smoke it the first couple of times, because it is "Safe".

I think every middle school kid should have to take a "Black Film Studies" class, not for diversity reasons, but just so they can watch enough 1970s films set in Harlem to drive home the idea that "Heroin eventually wins."

Averageman
09-07-21, 18:29
I think every middle school kid should have to take a "Black Film Studies" class, not for diversity reasons, but just so they can watch enough 1970s films set in Harlem to drive home the idea that "Heroin eventually wins."

Dude these were Middle Class White kids in the 70's and early 80's. I don't know perhaps I was a little more knowledgable, worldly or whatever, I dunno but that was just as stupid as it gets.
I had a friend had the world on a string, great job, great future, going to end up with the Family business etc, etc. Ended up dying of AIDS in the local Hospital.
It got so bad that when I would ask my Mother about so and so from school, she just would say "I dunno", when in fact many of them were dying in the Hospice she ran.

GH41
09-07-21, 20:17
I never took drugs because I was afraid I would like them. Does that make me smart? I don't think so. Just not weak!

Averageman
09-07-21, 20:24
I never took drugs because I was afraid I would like them. Does that make me smart? I don't think so. Just not weak!

I dunno, I grew up in the 70's and it was weird. My Dad was right out of Mad Men, but did computers instead of advertising. My Mom was trying to keep her marriage together and mix in some drugs and alcohol and that was home.
I was pretty much "Free Range" and experimented alot along the way. I remember going in to the kitchen and making a pitcher of Vodka and Orange Juice and walking out the back door with it. Walked past both Parents, I might have been 14.

SteyrAUG
09-07-21, 21:05

For me it was the idea of not being in control. That just had no interest for me.

sidewaysil80
09-07-21, 21:53
Damn, that’s a bummer. He was a great actor. Unfortunate he couldn’t kick his habit. Pure speculation but wouldn’t be surprised to see if fentanyl was culprit.