PDA

View Full Version : Two Basic Questions

PhotomanM4
12-11-08, 14:30
1. Can I use a carbine upper with a rifle (A2) lower?

2. Can I use the same BCG with different uppers?

junkxp
12-11-08, 14:35
1. Not sure if the ones that come like this have a different buffer so check on that but many carbine owners preffer the a2 stock over the collapsible.

2.Don't take my word on it but i think the consensus is keep the bolt with the barrel to avoid head space issues.

Dave L.
12-11-08, 14:38
Just buy a BCG for every upper you have. Don't risk your safety over $130.

bkb0000
12-11-08, 14:40
1. Can I use a carbine upper with a rifle (A2) lower?

2. Can I use the same BCG with different uppers?

1. yes

2. no

PhotomanM4
12-11-08, 14:42
Thanks for the fast response guys! I'll stick to the new BCG I have for the new upper on the way.

How about a new BCG in an old surplus M16A1 upper?

bkb0000
12-11-08, 14:49
Thanks for the fast response guys! I'll stick to the new BCG I have for the new upper on the way.

How about a new BCG in an old surplus M16A1 upper?

you can put new parts in, you just don't want to put parts from other guns into other guns. moving parts mate, and can cause failures.

Rider79
12-11-08, 20:06
now I'm confused. I have 2 unfired stag uppers. Can I properly stake the gas keys, put BCM's upgrade kit in them, and move them to my RRA upper that's been fired, or not? or should they just be used for back ups? So the LMT BCG I just ordered should be held off til I get my LMT upper, I won't be able to pull it from my Stag and use it in my LMT upper when it gets here? :confused:

bkb0000
12-11-08, 21:33
now I'm confused. I have 2 unfired stag uppers. Can I properly stake the gas keys, put BCM's upgrade kit in them, and move them to my RRA upper that's been fired, or not? or should they just be used for back ups? So the LMT BCG I just ordered should be held off til I get my LMT upper, I won't be able to pull it from my Stag and use it in my LMT upper when it gets here? :confused:

ACK... no, brother, calm down. you can put new parts into old receivers- new BCG into old upper is just fine. you just don't want to take a well used BCG out of one upper and put it in a new upper, or worse, into a different used upper.

edit: including unfired or barely fired BCGs from other guns, so long as they're in spec.

Buckaroo
12-12-08, 07:18
So why is it that most used uppers are sold sans BCGs? It would make sense to at least include the bolt with the upper....

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Buckaroo

bkb0000
12-12-08, 11:53
So why is it that most used uppers are sold sans BCGs? It would make sense to at least include the bolt with the upper....

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Buckaroo

don't know, i've never done the used thing. but we all must remember that gun dealers are salesmen just like all other salesmen- most will rip someone off if they can get away with it. i just sent a used BCG back to a shop that sold it to me as "new," and you better believe i sent it insured w/ confirmation.

topraider
12-13-08, 10:39
1. yes

2. no

Okay, will the heavier rifle buffer with its longer spring work the same as the standard CAR buffer, any problems with wk ammo or is it GTG with the wk stuff to the NATO stuff.

Rider79
12-13-08, 10:52
Now what do I do with my M16 BCG from Larue that I made the mistake of ordering? I understand its properly staked? But what about the extractor and all that? Should I put the $30 kit in from BCM? Or is it ok? Is the problem just that its not MPI'd and HPT'd?

bkb0000
12-13-08, 13:55
Okay, will the heavier rifle buffer with its longer spring work the same as the standard CAR buffer, any problems with wk ammo or is it GTG with the wk stuff to the NATO stuff.

the carbine system is a higher pressure system. having heavier stuff in there is good.

bkb0000
12-13-08, 14:07
Now what do I do with my M16 BCG from Larue that I made the mistake of ordering? I understand its properly staked? But what about the extractor and all that? Should I put the $30 kit in from BCM? Or is it ok? Is the problem just that its not MPI'd and HPT'd?

mmmhm.

Buckaroo
12-13-08, 16:49

Sell it on TOS for a profit!

They seem to be smelling blood in the water over there....:eek:

Then hit LMT for one of theirs. http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=24&cid=7&session=f00d0269f875d4ed1bdb93e8b775799c

Buckaroo

bkb0000
12-13-08, 17:06

Larue BCGs should be fine, and if you ever had a problem they'd take care of it. so long as you're not dead as a result of the problem.

some larues come with black inserts, some blue... either way, i'd do a BCM extractor spring and insert upgrade. you can get a 3 pack for like 4 bucks.. i stockpiled.

carbinero
12-13-08, 19:51
How do you define "lightly used" bolt? After how many rounds do you figure mating it with a new barrel should not be attempted...assuming an LMT/BCM bolt?

bkb0000
12-13-08, 20:00
How do you define "lightly used" bolt? After how many rounds do you figure mating it with a new barrel should not be attempted...assuming an LMT/BCM bolt?

no clue... if you have less than 50 rounds on any part, i'd say its "lightly used," but component wear occures differently in all guns depending on the guns, lub, ammo, user, etc, that there's not gonna be any set round count that'll classify a part.

if you see wear on the component, it's mated. as far as your question regarding barrel and bolt- if you're replacing the barrel, replace the bolt too. if you've shot through your barrel, it's probably time for a new bolt anyway.

carbinero
12-13-08, 20:16
No disrespect intended; first you say "no clue," then you deliver your opinion.

Let's put it another way...

If you used a bolt in upper #1 for 200 rounds, then the same bolt in upper #2 for 200 rounds, would you then say that bolt could not reliably be used in upper #3 (after some break-in, perhaps).

Thus, if you sold both uppers minus the bolt, would the bolt now be a throw-away?

bkb0000
12-13-08, 20:25
No disrespect intended; first you say "no clue," then you deliver your opinion.

Let's put it another way...

If you used a bolt in upper #1 for 200 rounds, then the same bolt in upper #2 for 200 rounds, would you then say that bolt could not reliably be used in upper #3 (after some break-in, perhaps).

Thus, if you sold both uppers minus the bolt, would the bolt now be a throw-away?

that's going to depend on the degree of wear on the BCG. if you have zero wear after 200 rounds in different uppers, use it. but why would you swap BCGs all over the place anyway?

even if you have wear, you're not necessarily going to have malfunctions in other uppers- its just a rule based on odds. throuughout ar history, mixing BCGs or their parts has been attributed to failures- so if you want the highest degree of reliability, don't do it.

PhotomanM4
12-14-08, 18:03
I'm assuming the lugs on the bolt and barrel are what wear together into a pattern?

p.s. Thanks for the LMT link Buckaroo! Just ordered one.

Rider79
12-14-08, 20:25

Rider79
12-14-08, 20:28
p.s. Thanks for the LMT link Buckaroo! Just ordered one.

Why order them and wait? Quantico has them in stock.

http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=902&type=M&CMN=Lewis%20Machine%20&%20Tool&CMNum=35&CMSNum=158&CMSN=Bolts%20and%20Bolt%20Carrier%20Groups

Rider79
12-14-08, 20:34

Rider79
12-14-08, 20:37
Larue BCGs should be fine, and if you ever had a problem they'd take care of it. so long as you're not dead as a result of the problem.

some larues come with black inserts, some blue... either way, i'd do a BCM extractor spring and insert upgrade. you can get a 3 pack for like 4 bucks.. i stockpiled.

Yeah, I got all those. Should I put that in, or should I put the full 30 dollar kit in with the new extractor and all that?

bkb0000
12-14-08, 22:01
Yeah, I got all those. Should I put that in, or should I put the full 30 dollar kit in with the new extractor and all that?

up to you.. i have enough faith in larue that i'd probably feel perfectly comfortable with just the spring/insert upgrade.

bkb0000
12-14-08, 22:03
You're a clown. I'm just going to stick it in my RRA and forget about it. I will send you those ergo grips if you still want them though.

sure- i dig free shit. mail to same address.

i was about to send you an orange pmag, but some ass hole mother ****er outbid me when i wasn't looking- $115 for 5 30 round window orange pmags. i was so pissed i almost put my fist through my notebook. i was the only bidder for 3 whole days, and he got me in the last 15 minutes.

PhotomanM4
12-14-08, 23:18
Why order them and wait? Quantico has them in stock.

http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=902&type=M&CMN=Lewis%20Machine%20&%20Tool&CMNum=35&CMSNum=158&CMSN=Bolts%20and%20Bolt%20Carrier%20Groups

? I didn't get any "backorder" indication when I ordered on the LMT website. Is there more to the story than what I'm getting? I've got little tolerance for eternally backordered parts on website orders.

bkb0000
12-15-08, 01:07
? I didn't get any "backorder" indication when I ordered on the LMT website. Is there more to the story than what I'm getting? I've got little tolerance for eternally backordered parts on website orders.

ack.... LMT is backordered 6 month minimum for any and all parts. did they charge you? cancel and get one from quantico, if you still can

Rider79
12-15-08, 02:16

bkb0000
12-15-08, 02:23
When I first looked at that price I thought it was alot, but I guess $23 apiece for orange window Pmags these days isn't bad. Let me wait til I get these LMT lowers and I should have an extra ergo to throw in there. Yeah, now I'm worried about the LMT situation. Tacticalsight.com has my cc# to send an lmt upper when they get them, and I told my local shop to send LMT a copy of his ffl and order the MRP for me off a deposit I already put down, but he's so scatterbrained I wonder if he has yet. Do you think I have a better chance of getting a regular upper from them?

would have been the most i'd spent per pmag yet, but worth it for orange /w window.

i'm not back-ordering anything right now- the only shit i have on backorder is from companies that sold me shit they claimed to have, took my money for, but didn't actually have. i'd try to stick with shit in-stock, and GUARANTIED in-stock by an actual person holding this item in his hand as he tells you "yes, i have it in my hand, and yes, i'm putting your name on it, and my name is _______."

but that's just my own jaded thought.

bkb0000
12-15-08, 02:28
I'm also on Grant's waiting list at G&R, and I'm on email notification at bravo. Any other bases you think I should cover, or should I just get one of those piston uppers from rainier arms? I'll have 3 LMT lowers that will need uppers.

everybody's sneakin edits in on me...

its all up to you.. like i said, i dont trust backorders. they haven't been working for me. right now it seems like the best thing to do is secure the lowers you'll need, get whatever uppers you can find in stock and tollerate, and THEN get the sooper-blaster uppers you really want in 6 months when everything's cooled off.

or maybe in 6 months we'll get a press conference stating we have 1 year till everything's illegal, and it'll just get worse. hah

i'm not really up on complete stuff. i build mine piece by piece, and its easier to get stripped uppers and handguards and gas tubes and blocks and muzzle devices than it is to get complete MRPs. i don't know where to look.

Rider79
12-15-08, 03:59
yeah, I paid 22 for an OD green w/ window a few weeks ago, and it woulda been 25 but they had it marked wrong. I just happened to grab the one out of the bin that was marked wrong:D haha. I needed an OD one to complete my collection, or otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. I don't know what I'm going to do about the uppers, jay at tacticalsight.com seems pretty standup, and I know Grant is, so we'll see what happens. I got everything ready to go to finish them when they come in, with the exception of handguards. Got the aimpoints, got the BUIS, BCGs, and charging handles. Maybe I'll get lucky with BCM and I can make it on in time after notification and get 2. Thank god for the iPhone browser is all I can say. (bored at work and posting via it right now haha)

Rider79
12-15-08, 04:02
I wonder how reliable quantico tactical's ordering system is, because it still says it has 13 fullauto LMT BCGs, same as it said since I ordered mine. I already got charged and got shipping notification for the semis, but nothing for the fullautos.

PhotomanM4
12-15-08, 09:11
ack.... LMT is backordered 6 month minimum for any and all parts. did they charge you? cancel and get one from quantico, if you still can

Thanks! Just called and cancelled. Will contact Quantico.

Rider79
12-15-08, 09:26
Thanks! Just called and cancelled. Will contact Quantico.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=269710#post269710

Go to the above thread, and check out the new BCG from G&R Tactical, the quality is equal to LMT and BCM, and they're a sponsor of this site. Grant is a stand up guy.

And they're in stock right now.