PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon TA33R8

C4IGrant
11-15-06, 16:58
This is the brand new Trijicon TA33R8 3X30. It features a red chevron reticle with stadia lines calibrated for a flattop with 62gr ammo. This compact ACOG has about the same eye relief as their 2X model (very impressive) and has the largest FOV.

Here are some pics...

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Trijicon/TA33R8.JPG

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Trijicon/TA33R8a.JPG

MAP
11-15-06, 20:09
Grant,

Any pics of the reticle? Also, how is the price?

Thanks,

Mike

rob_s
11-15-06, 20:11
I take it this is the long eye relief 3x they've been talking about for awhile?

Joelk
11-15-06, 20:57
Grant, I have seen conflicting info as to the FOV on this scope on other sites. Do you have the FOV specs? And of course as others have already asked, any idea as to pricing? Thanks for your time.

C4IGrant
11-16-06, 08:24
Grant,

Any pics of the reticle? Also, how is the price?

Thanks,

Mike

I have been trying to get a reticle pic, but is turning out to be a PITA.

MAP on them is $841.50. As always, there is M4C member pricing and I do have the LT compact ACOG mounts in stock. :D

C4

C4IGrant
11-16-06, 08:24
I take it this is the long eye relief 3x they've been talking about for awhile?

Yes. I measured it around 4", but to be on the conservative side, I would say 3.5".

C4

C4IGrant
11-16-06, 08:30
Grant, I have seen conflicting info as to the FOV on this scope on other sites. Do you have the FOV specs? And of course as others have already asked, any idea as to pricing? Thanks for your time.

FOV is 3.7 degrees, FOV @ 100yds is 19.3.

Exit pupil is 10mm.

C4

rob_s
11-16-06, 08:38
I can't wait to see these at SHOT. I currently run the 1.5x because of the extended eye relief, but would like to give the 3x a try.

If I like the look of it at SHOT I'll be giving you a call Grant.

C4IGrant
11-16-06, 08:42
I can't wait to see these at SHOT. I currently run the 1.5x because of the extended eye relief, but would like to give the 3x a try.

If I like the look of it at SHOT I'll be giving you a call Grant.

Roger, let me know.

C4

rob_s
11-16-06, 09:02
Have you weighed it without the mount?

MaceWindu
11-16-06, 09:35

I have the 2x and I love it. The 3x is a bit stronger that I need.

Mace

C4IGrant
11-16-06, 10:27
Have you weighed it without the mount?

7 ounces even.

C4

Joelk
11-16-06, 15:14
Grant, thanks for taking the time to reply to all of our questions so quickly!

03humpalot
11-16-06, 15:20
Grant,
are you guys going to stock the 7.62 version as well?
I NEED one dude!

C4IGrant
11-16-06, 17:18
Grant, thanks for taking the time to reply to all of our questions so quickly!

Your welcome.

C4

C4IGrant
11-16-06, 17:19
Grant,
are you guys going to stock the 7.62 version as well?
I NEED one dude!

I was not planning on stocking them, but can order you one.

C4

Rmplstlskn
11-16-06, 18:43
I think this Compact ACOG is one that I would trade my TA11-D for...;)

Rmpl

shark31
11-17-06, 09:57
Grant, I can never see your pictures, or for that matter Bigbore's either. Nothing but red X's. Can anyone else post a pic that I can see?

C4IGrant
01-02-07, 17:29
Grant, I can never see your pictures, or for that matter Bigbore's either. Nothing but red X's. Can anyone else post a pic that I can see?

Shoot me an e-mail and I can send them to you if you like.

C4

militarymoron
01-03-07, 11:14
finally, an ACOG objective where you can stick a flip-up scope cap on!

BigDawg308
01-18-07, 18:28
ACOG's just haven't been my cup of tea in the past, but I really like this new model. I've had TA01's and TA31's, but the eye relief on this is fantastic and the glass is crystal clear. Trijicon definitely has themselves a winner with this optic.

http://www.jasonyoung.net/images/trijicon/ta33r8-1.jpg

The tractor is over 100 yards away from my back porch. Sorry for the poor lighting but is was really foggy/rainy when I took this picture.

http://www.jasonyoung.net/images/trijicon/ta33r8-3.jpg

SuicideHz
01-18-07, 19:15
Which passage from The Bible is on this one?

That Chevron looks awfully strange...

rob_s
01-18-07, 19:21
I'm glad to see this thread get revived. I got to play with one of these at SHOT and I am SOLD on this optic. I currently run a 1.5x compact ACOG on my 1A gun, and I absolutely love it. This 3X appears to be even better if you can make such a statement after only 5 minutes of pointing it around the convention floor at various attendees.:D

I'll be trying one out shortly and reporting back on it for sure.

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 19:24

There isn't one that I can see.

C4

SuicideHz
01-18-07, 19:28
I know...

BigDawg308
01-18-07, 20:41

1 John 1:7 (New International Version)

7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

My photo-fu is weak. I'm glad I shoot carbines better than I shoot pictures. :D

SuicideHz
01-18-07, 21:34
Is that on any other ACOG?

C4IGrant
01-19-07, 08:06
1 John 1:7 (New International Version)

7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

My photo-fu is weak. I'm glad I shoot carbines better than I shoot pictures. :D

Mine is either invisible or I am blind because I cannot find it. Where is it located on yours??

C4

BigDawg308
01-19-07, 15:35
Mine is either invisible or I am blind because I cannot find it. Where is it located on yours??

C4

It is in the writing on the other side of the optic. Look at the very bottom line. It says, "1JN 1:7". I wonder if there is any ironic intent for that verse being chosen since this optic has a BDC for a 1:7 barrel? Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm???"

http://www.jasonyoung.net/images/trijicon/ta33r8-2.jpg

You know Jesus healed the blind man, right Grant? ;)

John 9 1:3

As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man who had been blind from birth. 2“Teacher,” his disciples asked him, “Why was this man born blind? Was it a result of his sins or those of his parents?”

3“It was not because of his sins or his parents’ sins,” Jesus answered. “He was born blind so the power of God could be seen in him.

combatvet
01-19-07, 16:10
Damn, even if I sold my Eotech 512 and Beta C I'd be short. Sucks to be broke!

Dport
01-19-07, 16:49
Damn, even if I sold my Eotech 512 and Beta C I'd be short. Sucks to be broke!
No kidding. SHOT comes out at the wrong time of year.
My credit cards are still cooling off after the holidays, and along comes SHOT with its contagious gottahaveititis.

rob_s
02-10-07, 06:46
I picked up one of these from Grant, already mounted in the appropriate Larue mount (my first Larue with the locking lever, I dig it). I got it zeroed at 50 yards with Black Hills 75 grain and then played a bit to range out the hash marks. It would appear, roughly, that the top hash mark is now on for 25 yards, and the middle one is on for 15 yards. The range I was at does not allow shooting at less than 15 yards, but it would stand to reason that the lowest hash would then be 7 yards.

I used the optic to take my first wild boar (sow actually) and it worked perfectly. Tracked the pig with both eyes open, estimated range (about 20 yards) and lined up the top hash mark with her shoulder as she ran at about a 45* angle away from me. Perfect hit and she dropped. After the guide pulled the dogs off I made a finishing head shot from on top of the buggy and I put the bottom hash mark on her ear, with the shot entering just behind the ear as I wanted it to.

For this purpose, I'm sold on this optic. I'll be running it in my next couple of matches and report back as to how well it works in that environment. We run everything from 5 feet to 100 yards so it should be a pretty decent test of the optic.

Has anyone figured out yet if there are flipup caps available for the front and/or rear of this thing? I'd like to do away with the scope coat. Interestingly, Trijicon sells this with the same coat as the other compact ACOGs despite this one being a bit longer. It makes getting that coat on and off a bit of a challenge.

Resq47
03-09-07, 04:15
Yeah, a bit of a necropost, but any further feedback Rob? I was excited about the TA33-8 when they first hit and then my short attention span kicked in...

rob_s
03-09-07, 05:06
I shot mine in my rifle match at the end of February, and I was/am very impressed. With both eyes open it's just as fast for me as an Aimpoint or my 1.5x ACOG, but at even a slight distance or with a slightly obscured target it lets you get much more precise by closing one eye and concentrating on the reticle a little more.

This month we'll be shooting out to about 120 yards, which is the most we have available, at 4" steel so we'll see how it performs in that situation very shortly.

watertower
03-09-07, 20:27
Has anyone figured out yet if there are flipup caps available for the front and/or rear of this thing? I'd like to do away with the scope coat. Interestingly, Trijicon sells this with the same coat as the other compact ACOGs despite this one being a bit longer. It makes getting that coat on and off a bit of a challenge.

From what I've read, you need a Butler Creek #1 and #9.

I've been seriously considering this for my M4. Maybe its time to email Grant.

MH64
03-11-07, 18:05
Grant
Any instock and at what price?
Michael
sigar9@flash.net

jmart
03-18-07, 14:54
Here's another option for a piggybacked CQB optic. (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=115)

rob_s
03-18-07, 16:09
Here's another option for a piggybacked CQB optic. (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=115)

Not to take anything away from Marc, but I don't really see the point in putting a red-dot on a Comact ACOG. I have had no problem running the optic at close range.

watertower
04-06-07, 20:08
Rob,
Did you get to try the TA33 on the small plates out at 100+ yards? How did it do? I've had mine about 2 weeks now, but I don't have the rifle done, so I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet.
Scott

rob_s
04-06-07, 22:52
We did a long-range team shoot at this month's match, and I was the "sniper" shooting at 130+ yards ar 4" plates. When I took my time and pressed the trigger I was able to hit them without problem from prone using only the magazine as a monopod.

xenophobe
04-10-07, 06:37
Any chance for a side by side size comparison with the TA01? 7oz? That's really light.

rob_s
04-16-07, 10:41
Another update...

I just ran my TA33R8 for two days of a three day carbine class this past weekend. On the third day I ran my 6933 w/ ML2.

Generally speaking, I still like the ACOG, but I'm nost so sure that it's as great as i first thought. The parallax, the "bindon aiming concept", etc. all proved to slow me down just enough that I wasn't happy with my performance, and in CQB situations (inside 25 yards) actually caused me to shoot less accurately than I would typically want to.

On the plus side, I found out that more often than not I can hit a 12" steel plate with an 11.5" pencil barrel, a 4 MOA red dot, and an astigmatism that makes the dot look more like 8 MOA, while shooting at 200 yards from prone. That alone kind of makes me think that the extra expense and slower target aquisition and reduced accuracy of the TA33R8 up close are not a good trade-off for the increased long-range accuracy.

With that said, if I thought I needed 4" accuracy at 200 yards I might consider it, but then I wouldn't be shoting any of my ARs at that distance and with that accuracty requirement anyway.

I think I'm going to have to get Grant to put me back on the list for an ML3 and a Larue mount. I'm not counting the (thankfully less expensive) Aimpoint out just yet.

C4IGrant
04-16-07, 11:18
Another update...

I just ran my TA33R8 for two days of a three day carbine class this past weekend. On the third day I ran my 6933 w/ ML2.

Generally speaking, I still like the ACOG, but I'm nost so sure that it's as great as i first thought. The parallax, the "bindon aiming concept", etc. all proved to slow me down just enough that I wasn't happy with my performance, and in CQB situations (inside 25 yards) actually caused me to shoot less accurately than I would typically want to.

On the plus side, I found out that more often than not I can hit a 12" steel plate with an 11.5" pencil barrel, a 4 MOA red dot, and an astigmatism that makes the dot look more like 8 MOA, while shooting at 200 yards from prone. That alone kind of makes me think that the extra expense and slower target aquisition and reduced accuracy of the TA33R8 up close are not a good trade-off for the increased long-range accuracy.

With that said, if I thought I needed 4" accuracy at 200 yards I might consider it, but then I wouldn't be shoting any of my ARs at that distance and with that accuracty requirement anyway.

I think I'm going to have to get Grant to put me back on the list for an ML3 and a Larue mount. I'm not counting the (thankfully less expensive) Aimpoint out just yet.

The TA33 does have a weakness (as you have found out). Same goes with ANY magnified optic above a 1X. Another issue with a magnified optic, is engaging several targets (that are spread out) quickly. You will find that a magnified optic will cause you to "loose" them.

There are two possible solutions for running a magnified optic. Run a visible laser for close up shots (most visible lasers can be seen out to 25yds in full sun) or mount a Dr/JPoint on top of the optic or on the side of the weapon.

C4

TA33 with LT mount and DR Optic
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/lt635800.JPG

MaceWindu
04-16-07, 12:29
The Compact ACOG TA47-R2 is the bomb...strong enough for distance, weak enough for up-close....I love it!

Mace

rob_s
04-16-07, 12:42
The Compact ACOG TA47-R2 is the bomb...strong enough for distance, weak enough for up-close....I love it!

Mace

My other ACOG is the 1.5x with the long eye relief. I may go back to that one. We'll see.

jmart
04-16-07, 12:54
Another update...

Based on this I'm still wondering if an Aimpoint/EoTech w/a 3x magnifier is the best setup. While you can hit 12" steel at 200 with a 4MOA dot, that's a bit of a artificial scenario; in the real world of multiple targets, both hostile and neutral, that 3X magnification can come in quite handy in IDing targets. I still think there's quite a case to be made for some low power magnification, I just don't know if it makes sense to run a variable, a Red dot w/magnifier, or a low powered ACOG and accept the CQB hit.

rob_s
04-16-07, 13:26
I think you need to keep your "mission requirements" in mind. I started to think of the 3x with the Aimpoint, but if I can hit a 12" circle reliably at 200 yards with a 4 MOA dot then what's the point really? And target ID or no, when would I ever be justified in shooting at someone 200 yards away?

Like most things, the optic selected is based on the intended use and envisioned scenario. I think that for my intended purposes making a shot at 200 yards would be very far-fetched, and as such the Aimpoint may just suit me fine.

In fact, I'd like to run some drills even at 100 yards with various methods of IDing a target as being a threat or non-threat and see what kind of improvement the 3x makes.

Jon G23
05-05-07, 08:09
So would your Aimpoint be 2MOA or would you get 4MOA??

I think you need to keep your "mission requirements" in mind. I started to think of the 3x with the Aimpoint, but if I can hit a 12" circle reliably at 200 yards with a 4 MOA dot then what's the point really? And target ID or no, when would I ever be justified in shooting at someone 200 yards away?

Like most things, the optic selected is based on the intended use and envisioned scenario. I think that for my intended purposes making a shot at 200 yards would be very far-fetched, and as such the Aimpoint may just suit me fine.

In fact, I'd like to run some drills even at 100 yards with various methods of IDing a target as being a threat or non-threat and see what kind of improvement the 3x makes.

C4IGrant
05-05-07, 08:26
So would your Aimpoint be 2MOA or would you get 4MOA??

2MOA. It simply because you can turn the intensity up on a 2MOA dot and make it a 4, but you cannot go the other way.

C4

rob_s
05-05-07, 09:16
The Aimpoint I was using at the class on TD3 was a 4 MOA, but if I were buying today I'd buy the 2 for the reasons Grant posted.

C4IGrant
06-05-07, 16:33
TA33R-8'S are instock if anyone is interested.

C4

CavReconScout
08-20-07, 17:43
Grant, I realize this is kind of a necropost, but would you have any photos through the scope showing the shadow of the front sight post? I really like this scope, but would have to use it with a a fixed front sight tower. Is 3x enough to blur the front sight?

Skyviking
08-21-07, 00:42
The TA33R8 works fine with the standard front sight. You won't see it unless you start looking for it by moving your head/eye around the rear objective. As with any magnifying optic (even the 1-4x variables set on 1x), you cannot co-witness your irons. The front sight will fuzz out. This makes having a Dr. Optic piggy-backed a good idea.

Regards,
Skyviking

C4IGrant
08-21-07, 11:00
Grant, I realize this is kind of a necropost, but would you have any photos through the scope showing the shadow of the front sight post? I really like this scope, but would have to use it with a a fixed front sight tower. Is 3x enough to blur the front sight?

Don't have any pics (sorry). You will see a slight blur in your FOV. It doesn't bother some and does bother others.

C4

docsherm
09-03-07, 17:18
How far out has someone tried it? Are there any kind of accuracy issues at longer ranges? Is it an under 300m sight or is it good for further out? Thanks

The Archangel
09-05-07, 16:21
I had one for about three weeks and didn't like it. Sold it for a TA31DOC. I shoot nose-to-charging-handle so the FOV issue didn't bother me. I had a TA01 NSN for 7 years and loved it. I guess I couldn't get used to how small the reticle & BDC was compared to the 4x32 models.

Either case, for CQB, I prefer the Aimpoint and for 100M+, I like the TA31DOC.

Here was my TA33 that I had for 3 weeks. The Butler Creek cover size was 1 & 9.

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/128/7703/172027.jpg

http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/128/7703/172026.jpg

Personal prefence only...