PDA

View Full Version : SB Tactical brace - included RE any good?

Know1
09-11-21, 21:14
I finally did a couple pistol builds a while back and have two SBA3's. Each came with a receiver extension. On SB's website, they list an RE for $30 that is said to be milspec and 7075 and that's about it. I would assume it's the same thing that was included with the braces, but who knows? The price makes me question how good these are. Anyone know who makes them? Are they good to go, or should they be replaced by a known quantity (Colt, BCM, etc, etc.)? Leaning toward replacing them myself. Any thoughts?

ViniVidivici
09-11-21, 21:25
No, I'd leave it. There are plenty of high quality 7075 REs out there in that price range.

Disciple
09-11-21, 21:32
If the SB ones have good threads and a smooth, straight bore of the correct depth what is the concern? Strength?

Know1
09-13-21, 14:11
If the SB ones have good threads and a smooth, straight bore of the correct depth what is the concern? Strength?

Yes, exactly. As you know, with metals, just because it looks okay based upon visual inspection, doesn't mean it's okay structurally. I take a lot of care to select other parts from trusted manufacturers, why not with something as critical as the RE? If stuff is getting real and I have to mortar it to clear a jam, or if I run out of ammo and have to use it as a club (c'mon, happens all the time), or (much more likely) like a klutz, I trip and fall and slam it into the ground, I don't want to find out then that it was made by the lowest bidder.

KITTEN_FRENZY
09-13-21, 19:36
Mine is less noisy than my BCM and LMT tubes. Tried swapping buffers/springs/uppers and the result was the same.

Disciple
09-13-21, 20:10
Yes, exactly. As you know, with metals, just because it looks okay based upon visual inspection, doesn't mean it's okay structurally.

Sure, I've seen Chinesium tools fail hilariously, but I feel OK with a made-in-USA 7075 receiver extension from a popular brand like SB Tactical, assuming dimensions and finish check out. No objection if you have a different standard.

Disciple
09-13-21, 20:13
Mine is less noisy than my BCM and LMT tubes. Tried swapping buffers/springs/uppers and the result was the same.

I was going to check this myself but I realize I have forgotten which is BCM and which is SB. Is there any easy way to distinguish them? The LMT is obvious.

jschmitt08
09-13-21, 20:15
I was going to check this myself but I realize I have forgotten which is BCM and which is SB. Is there any easy way to distinguish them? The LMT is obvious.

The BCM will have dry film lube. The SB tactical will not.

Disciple
09-13-21, 21:05
Inside, outside, or both? I did not notice it on the BCM intermediate length (A5) extension I got last year. LMT uses an obvious gray coating that feels and wears differently.

jschmitt08
09-13-21, 21:19
It would be on the inside of the tube.

GunFighter98
09-15-21, 19:30
I inquired the same thing when I got mine. SB responded to me and said it is extruded 7075 aluminum without any dry lube inside tube. They are just fine.

Vegas
09-16-21, 11:48
Mine has been fine. Mortared quite a bit when I first started loading 300 BLK. I had a little learning curve there [emoji28]

TacticalSpeed
09-20-21, 18:34
Sure, I've seen Chinesium tools fail hilariously, but I feel OK with a made-in-USA 7075 receiver extension from a popular brand like SB Tactical, assuming dimensions and finish check out. No objection if you have a different standard.

This...