PDA

View Full Version : 2011 suggestions

ExplorinInTheWoods
09-12-21, 09:41
I'm toying with the idea of getting a 2011, I've shot the Staccato P and it is a very nice gun but I'll be honest it didn't blow me away like the Triarc TRI11 commander I shot at one of their demo days. I've shot a STI DVC 3gun and I've shot a BUL Armory SAS II that was the smoothest gun I've shot, probably because it had 147gr bunny fart rounds while the other guns had 115gr FMJ rounds. I compete in 3gun/USPSA/2gun and part of me wants a full size government frame since that would be the most beneficial. I still enjoy running my 34 but I have been thinking about upgrading to a 2011. But at the same time I wouldn't mind getting a commander size gun to carry as well. I'm torn between getting a Staccato P and the TRI11. I know I can get a BUL for cheaper but they have proprietary mags so that is a downside.

gaijin
09-12-21, 12:30
Of your choices, no single gun will check all the boxes optimally.
I have a couple STIs; a DVC P that’s a dedicated range/games Gun, and a Staccato P I mildly tricked out thats a sometimes carry gun.
I would have a C2 for the carry gun, if they’d existed when I got the Staccato P; the C2 shoots and carries quite well.

My experience with TriArc is they are pretty inconsistent in terms of function/quality- at least a year ago.

ExplorinInTheWoods
09-12-21, 14:30
I am not really considering the C2 just because I don't mind carrying a full size gun and whatever 2011 I get I will compete with it. If you don't mind my asking what were the problems with the Triarc? An old friend has one and he ran 5k rounds without cleaning it, he's had it for a while and a guy I used to compete with picked up their commander and it ran well for him. Maybe the pandemic and trying to rush orders out affected them?

sidewaysil80
09-12-21, 14:43
Have you considered Atlas? Like you after years of Glock 34, I stepped up to a 2011 platform. I had the luxury of shooting some STI’s, Staccato XL, and an Atlas Hyperion back to back. I’m not knocking the other two, but the Atlas was lightyears ahead in fit/finish as well as the least muzzle/recoil. I went with a 9mm Atlas Titan and couldn’t be happier.

gaijin
09-12-21, 14:57
I am not really considering the C2 just because I don't mind carrying a full size gun and whatever 2011 I get I will compete with it. If you don't mind my asking what were the problems with the Triarc? An old friend has one and he ran 5k rounds without cleaning it, he's had it for a while and a guy I used to compete with picked up their commander and it ran well for him. Maybe the pandemic and trying to rush orders out affected them?

Two of the guys that shoot with us had/have TriArc’s.
Both have had difficulty in receiving return communication from TriArc on their respective issues.

ExplorinInTheWoods
09-12-21, 20:31
Have you considered Atlas? Like you after years of Glock 34, I stepped up to a 2011 platform. I had the luxury of shooting some STI’s, Staccato XL, and an Atlas Hyperion back to back. I’m not knocking the other two, but the Atlas was lightyears ahead in fit/finish as well as the least muzzle/recoil. I went with a 9mm Atlas Titan and couldn’t be happier.

I know Atlas is top notch but it’s out of my price range. I’m willing to sell a gun or two to help pay for a 2011 but an atlas would be selling off a bunch of them. If I was chasing being a GM then yes I would be about getting an atlas

sidewaysil80
09-13-21, 16:52
I know Atlas is top notch but it’s out of my price range. I’m willing to sell a gun or two to help pay for a 2011 but an atlas would be selling off a bunch of them. If I was chasing being a GM then yes I would be about getting an atlas
I paid $3500 for Titan 9mm, not too far off from Tri-Arc govt I thought. Atlas has a pretty nice LE/mil discount if you inquire.

ExplorinInTheWoods
09-13-21, 19:51
That's a good price for Atlas, I was hoping Triarc would extend their discount to the Centrifuge TRI11's for MIL like they did for the Centrifuge carbines but the pistols were LE only on discount. How are the Atlas guns in terms or reliability? are they picky like some other race guns?

Pappabear
09-14-21, 10:36
If you are in that price range, the Stacatto XE is crazy nice. It has the comp and shoots crazy flat. I love my P Duo but that comp is a game changer. They may have changed the model numbers so if Gaijin needs to correct me, please do so. He is our local Stacatto SME.

PB

gaijin
09-14-21, 11:57
( : Real close PB, it’s the XC.

Those guys change model designations way too often.
A year ago the current XC was the DVC P, with minor cosmetic changes.

Hopefully their QC has improved under STACCATO.
STI seemed to have barrel fit and extractor fit problems.
Nothing that couldn’t be sorted out if you knew the 1911 system/format, but stuff that shouldn’t have gotten out of the shop for the price point.

(And I’m far from a SME re. Staccato’s PB, but I appreciate your vote of confidence.)

https://staccato2011.com/handguns/staccato-xc/

ExplorinInTheWoods
09-14-21, 19:02
The XC is out of my price range. Triarc is really the top of it. I will say that the XC has like a 2.5LB trigger which would too light for a carry gun. I have seen the monsoon tactical chunk port where you can make a P duo into basically a XC

CPM
09-16-21, 09:48
The last thing anyone needs to do is re-engineer one of the flattest shooting 9mm steel framed guns on the planet. Do that when you’re a GM getting beat by ported guns- it doesn’t happen.

I have no idea why anyone would buy a Triarc other than to look cool on the internet or the BBQ. Why would you wait 6+ months, deal with half assed customer service and support, and have a gun with a smaller support network should you need help?

I went Staccato. American sourced steel. Excellent support. I didn’t have to wait a long time. Delivered exactly as promised. The thing is a laser beam. In my opinion it is the tip of the spear right now in handgun technology- not that others aren’t also making 2011’s, but they aren’t doing it in mass, with the same level of QC and support.

sidewaysil80
09-16-21, 17:10
That's a good price for Atlas, I was hoping Triarc would extend their discount to the Centrifuge TRI11's for MIL like they did for the Centrifuge carbines but the pistols were LE only on discount. How are the Atlas guns in terms or reliability? are they picky like some other race guns?

No issues whatsoever. Approaching 4k rounds, started shooting it in February. I’m using MBX’s but I’ve shot it with Staccato Gen 2’s with no issues.

ExplorinInTheWoods
09-17-21, 20:24
That’s good to know that the atlas is reliable.

KTR03
09-18-21, 21:41
I have a 4.15 duo, an XC, and a C2 duo. They have all been to extreme shooter supply for grip reductions and have 508Ts. I have some pretty more expensive 1911s than these but I see no reason to try to get anything better than these three guns.

I talked to the Bul Importer in another form. He told me that they didn't take standard staccato/STI 2011 magazines. That seems like a huge mistake to me. I probably have one if I didn't need to get more magazines.

ExplorinInTheWoods
09-19-21, 20:59
One of the guys I shoot with is sponsored by BUL so I'm not worried about being able to get some mags but I do agree that they should've done the 2011 pattern mags but it is what it is.

KTR03
09-23-21, 21:30
One of the guys I shoot with is sponsored by BUL so I'm not worried about being able to get some mags but I do agree that they should've done the 2011 pattern mags but it is what it is.

Yeah I agree. I only mention it because we were discussing these pistols as if they're interchangeable and they're not. Given how close of bull looks to a 2011 that was worth the mention.

scooter22
09-24-21, 22:53
The XC is out of my price range. Triarc is really the top of it. I will say that the XC has like a 2.5LB trigger which would too light for a carry gun. I have seen the monsoon tactical chunk port where you can make a P duo into basically a XC

I think they compare to the Chunk port in this video. Seems the Vulcan Staccports would be the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkIBUBhq190

jhr1986
09-25-21, 20:29
No 2011 thread would be complete without the mention of SVI. An Infinity sight tracker would be my first choice when considering a 2011, especially when gun games are involved.

Hulkstr8
09-26-21, 00:28
Did anyone say PHAT WMG ?

sidewaysil80
09-26-21, 07:36
The last thing anyone needs to do is re-engineer one of the flattest shooting 9mm steel framed guns on the planet. Do that when you’re a GM getting beat by ported guns- it doesn’t happen.

I have no idea why anyone would buy a Triarc other than to look cool on the internet or the BBQ. Why would you wait 6+ months, deal with half assed customer service and support, and have a gun with a smaller support network should you need help?

I went Staccato. American sourced steel. Excellent support. I didn’t have to wait a long time. Delivered exactly as promised. The thing is a laser beam. In my opinion it is the tip of the spear right now in handgun technology- not that others aren’t also making 2011’s, but they aren’t doing it in mass, with the same level of QC and support.

Have you owned/shot any other 2011’s? I’m not trying to be pugnacious but I’d hardly call Staccato/Sti cutting edge or tip of the spear. They’re production guns and compared to Atlas, Infinity, and even Nighthawk it shows. Hell, they’re still using the same grip/design they’ve been using for last two decades. I’m not bashing them but merely voicing a different opinion to the pedestal your post appears to put them on. Hell I shoot a P regularly and while it’s a nice gun, it’s nothing to write home about nor does it shoot anywhere near as flat as comparable models. It’s been reliable for sure and I give them credit for mass marketing the 2011 platform and giving it a purpose outside of competition.

CPM
09-26-21, 12:47
Have you owned/shot any other 2011’s? I’m not trying to be pugnacious but I’d hardly call Staccato/Sti cutting edge or tip of the spear. They’re production guns and compared to Atlas, Infinity, and even Nighthawk it shows. Hell, they’re still using the same grip/design they’ve been using for last two decades. I’m not bashing them but merely voicing a different opinion to the pedestal your post appears to put them on. Hell I shoot a P regularly and while it’s a nice gun, it’s nothing to write home about nor does it shoot anywhere near as flat as comparable models. It’s been reliable for sure and I give them credit for mass marketing the 2011 platform and giving it a purpose outside of competition.

I’m a 5 gun master class shooter.

For me, I do not see the downrange benefit of spending more than a Staccato on a 2011. You spend more, tune more, spend more on magazines, and have less support. If you want to spend more for the sake of having a boutique gun, I totally get that, but two equal shooters won’t beat one another because one is shooting an Atlas and the other a Staccato. If you’re looking to improve your shooting, buy a Staccato and spend the rest on ammo, training, and matches.

For what it’s worth, I think all 2011’s are overrated and prefer shooting SSP with my bone stock G34 with Dawson sights and beating everyone else.

sidewaysil80
09-26-21, 14:13
I’m a 5 gun master class shooter.

For me, I do not see the downrange benefit of spending more than a Staccato on a 2011. You spend more, tune more, spend more on magazines, and have less support. If you want to spend more for the sake of having a boutique gun, I totally get that, but two equal shooters won’t beat one another because one is shooting an Atlas and the other a Staccato. If you’re looking to improve your shooting, buy a Staccato and spend the rest on ammo, training, and matches.

For what it’s worth, I think all 2011’s are overrated and prefer shooting SSP with my bone stock G34 with Dawson sights and beating everyone else.
Interesting anecdote. My splits and times were faster with Atlas Titan over Staccato XL. Same ammo, shooter, day, and holster. I was just able to run it faster, so based on empirical data I think it would absolutely give an edge to a comparable shooter. But is said edge worth the price difference?
For me, at $4000 for Titan and $3400 for Staccato XL it was well worth it, if not for the fit/finish/quality aspect alone.

I’m not sure what you mean about spending more tuning the gun or more on magazines though (as there have been zero issues with the gun and I run Sti gen 2 mags). As fas as service, I called Atlas about wanting to change my front sight thickness after running it for a season. Immediately I had a prepaid return label in my inbox, a few days later a return tracking number. Not sure how Staccato offers better service, but I have heard some complaints on different forums about their customer service and warranty fwiw.

CPM
09-26-21, 18:20
Interesting anecdote. My splits and times were faster with Atlas Titan over Staccato XL. Same ammo, shooter, day, and holster. I was just able to run it faster, so based on empirical data I think it would absolutely give an edge to a comparable shooter. But is said edge worth the price difference?
For me, at $4000 for Titan and $3400 for Staccato XL it was well worth it, if not for the fit/finish/quality aspect alone.

I’m not sure what you mean about spending more tuning the gun or more on magazines though (as there have been zero issues with the gun and I run Sti gen 2 mags). As fas as service, I called Atlas about wanting to change my front sight thickness after running it for a season. Immediately I had a prepaid return label in my inbox, a few days later a return tracking number. Not sure how Staccato offers better service, but I have heard some complaints on different forums about their customer service and warranty fwiw.

We are both very small sample sizes. Out of curiosity, how much faster were your splits?

sidewaysil80
09-27-21, 00:45
We are both very small sample sizes. Out of curiosity, how much faster were your splits?

Bill drills dropped from around 2.7ish with XL to 2.4ish with Titan. I don’t remember exact splits, I basically just ran a bunch of bill drills with different guns to see what yielded fastest times. Then the next day, same thing in reverse order to loosely rule out better times from more reps.

CPM
09-27-21, 12:38
Bill drills dropped from around 2.7ish with XL to 2.4ish with Titan. I don’t remember exact splits, I basically just ran a bunch of bill drills with different guns to see what yielded fastest times. Then the next day, same thing in reverse order to loosely rule out better times from more reps.

Yeah, that’s kind of my whole point, man.

sidewaysil80
09-27-21, 12:45
Yeah, that’s kind of my whole point, man.

Diminishing returns I get it. But at only $400 more, one gun is flatter/quicker then the other. Not to mention, much higher quality. To me, $400 was a no brainer.