PDA

View Full Version : BCM RE-A5 Vs. VLTOR RE-A5

HKGuns
09-20-21, 18:49
I have two new Wilson Combat lowers I'm building up but haven't decided what they will be when they grow up.

My standard kit for these lower builds is proving difficult or expensive to source. (Colt LPK - VLTOR RE-A5 - VLTOR Spring buffer etc. - G-SSA-E)

I searched and couldn't find any reference to the BCM Version of the RE-A5. Apologize if this was covered in another thread I couldn't find, but I titled this one so it might POP for someone else.

I assume, since it is BCM it is good to go? I just want to verify with the folks on this site if I stray from my normal verified parts kit for these builds. I was able to find the VLTOR spring and buffer items.......

(I already purchased a SIONICS LPK which seems good to go.)

Thanks for any input provided.

grizzman
09-20-21, 19:02
I've used a few BCM A5 receiver extensions, and they've worked as well as my VLTORs.

The VLTOR A5 receiver extension is in stock at Son's Of Liberty Gun Works for $45. I ordered one a few days ago, and it has shipped.

HKGuns
09-20-21, 19:04
A DDG search pulled up a couple old threads that didn’t appear in my forum search results.

It appears, as I suspected, the BCM RE-A5 is good to go.

HKGuns
09-20-21, 19:04
I've used a few BCM A5 receiver extensions, and they've worked as well as my VLTORs.

The VLTOR A5 receiver extension is in stock at Son's Of Liberty Gun Works for $45. I ordered one a few days ago, and it has shipped.

Thanks! Just ordered two, all my usual sources were sold out.

mRad
09-20-21, 22:20
I believe VLTOR makes the BCMs. I could be wrong, but don’t think I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sidewaysil80
09-21-21, 02:55
If I understand you already have buffers so this is moot, but just in case anyone reads this later:

BCM A5 kits ship with A5H0 NOT A5H2. The vltor kits ship with far more beneficial/desirable A5H2 buffer.

JediGuy
09-21-21, 06:20
I thought the BCM kit shipped with the equivalent to an A5H0

Edit: Per BCM’s site, they come with the 3.8oz A5H0.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-intermediate-buffer-system-a5-mounting-kit/

HKGuns
09-21-21, 06:33
Yes, good clarifications.

I bought my springs and buffers separately. The standard BCM buffer is different than the Standard VLTOR buffer, I was only buying the tubes from BCM.

Rayrevolver
09-21-21, 06:35
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?188566-A-Tale-of-the-Fives-A5-that-is

I have tungsten weights which I used to make an A5H4. Note you can make an A5H2 into an A5H1-A5H4 by adding or removing tungsten. You cannot make an A5H0 since the aluminum weight at the back is countersunk for the small spring.

El Vaquero
09-21-21, 07:10
I remember a thread a few years back that discussed some of the differences between the VLTOR, BCM, and Magpul A5 receiver extensions. From what I can recall the only major difference seem to be one or two of the brands used a dry film lubricant on the inside. Ring a bell with anyone?

prepare
09-21-21, 08:19
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?220989-A5-Receiver-Extension-Comparison-Photos

556Cliff
09-21-21, 09:41
I've had all 4 of the A5 receiver extensions... The 7 position and 6 position A5 REs from Vltor, the 8 position A5 RE from BCM and the 10 position A5 RE from Magpul.

The nicest finished ones were the ones from Vltor, even the inside of the tube was the smoothest. The BCM came in second in the finish department with Magpul being the worst, but the Magpul had the dry lube on the inside. I can't remember if the BCM did or not. I know that the Vltor ones did not have any dry lube on the inside.

But in the end the Magpul A5 REs won out for me because they had the best coverage of the buffer retainer. The A5 REs from both Vltor and BCM barely covered the very edge of the buffer retainer... It was bad enough to make me feel uncomfortable about it, so Magpul wins despite the lack luster finish as compared to the others.

crosseyedshooter
09-21-21, 10:45
From memory, I believe BCM tube has has an additional hole position so that carbine-size stocks (BCM stocks) can lock fully collapsed against the tube. On the VLTOR tube, the longer stocks like Magpul SL, ACS, STR, etc. will lock fully collapsed. I used to have both, but have since sold the BCM lower.

Here's a thread with some photos: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?220989-A5-Receiver-Extension-Comparison-Photos

prepare
09-21-21, 11:37
From memory, I believe BCM tube has has an additional hole position so that carbine-size stocks (BCM stocks) can lock fully collapsed against the tube. On the VLTOR tube, the longer stocks like Magpul SL, ACS, STR, etc. will lock fully collapsed. I used to have both, but have since sold the BCM lower.

Here's a thread with some photos: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?220989-A5-Receiver-Extension-Comparison-Photos

Thats the same thread I posted above yours.

GH41
09-21-21, 15:34
If I understand you already have buffers so this is moot, but just in case anyone reads this later:

BCM A5 kits ship with A5H0 NOT A5H2. The vltor kits ship with far more beneficial/desirable A5H2 buffer.

BCM more than likely ships with the "0" for liability reasons. Less chance of a malfunction in an under gassed gun shooting weak commercial ammunition. For grins I made a A5H2 into a A5H0. Under a BCM ELW upper the felt difference was very small. The kind of difference that you will not notice after a magazine or 2. Does that make the "0" less desirable? I don't think so.

El Vaquero
09-21-21, 16:54
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?220989-A5-Receiver-Extension-Comparison-Photos

That’s the one. Good find.

Disciple
09-22-21, 17:44
I have tungsten weights which I used to make an A5H4. Note you can make an A5H2 into an A5H1-A5H4 by adding or removing tungsten. You cannot make an A5H0 since the aluminum weight at the back is countersunk for the small spring.

The drilled weight in the A5H2 is tungsten?

GH41
09-22-21, 18:45
The drilled weight in the A5H2 is tungsten?

No problem making and drilling an aluminum spacer with the lathe. The tungsten weights laugh at my setup.

Clint
09-22-21, 19:07
Last time we took them apart, it was a steel weight that was milled for the spring, making the A5H0-A5H3 all possible with tungsten swaps.
Only the A5H4 had the tungsten weight milled for the spring, making it special.

Note you can make an A5H2 into an A5H1-A5H4 by adding or removing tungsten. You cannot make an A5H0 since the aluminum weight at the back is countersunk for the small spring.

09-23-21, 12:44
Last time we took them apart, it was a steel weight that was milled for the spring, making the A5H0-A5H3 all possible with tungsten swaps.
Only the A5H4 had the tungsten weight milled for the spring, making it special.

This is correct.