PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk's "Special Operations" holster

Slater
09-24-21, 15:16
I was looking for a basic flap-type holster to protect my handgun from scratches, scuffs, etc while camping or hiking and this seemed to fill the bill. Evidently this OD green, right-hand version was assigned NSN 8465-01-501-8078 at some point. Probably many years ago, and I wouldn't think it was in service all that long with the advent of modern holsters. Anyone know if it saw much service use at all?

https://i.imgur.com/kwacS9Sl.jpg

docsherm
09-24-21, 15:44
I use the crap out of mine. Wish i still had it. It was great for Jumps.

Circle_10
09-24-21, 17:12
I recall seeing a picture of one in Small Arms Review in use overseas with some kind of maritime force protection unit. I’m not really that fond of Blackhawk….err I mean BLACKHAWK! stuff typically but I considered getting one of these at one point for use in the wintertime or in other situations where retention and protection of the sidearm from the elements, damage and debris were a bigger priority than rapid access.
I ended up getting a used Bianchi UM84/M12 and for a gun with a WML, a used Bianchi Cobra that I rattle canned green and retrofit with a UM84 flap instead though.

Slater
09-24-21, 17:35
Apparently these things are still selling well enough that Blackhawk continues to make them (in OD only. They used to be available in FDE, Black, and Army digital). I wouldn't think that there are any left in US military use.

Circle_10
09-24-21, 19:39
I know they aren’t high speed but I still think flapped holsters like this have merit in certain scenarios. If BLACKHAWK! would come out with a WML version I might still try one out (but I doubt they will because like you alluded to, this seems to be kind of a “legacy” product for them)

CRAMBONE
09-25-21, 01:42
1999 called it wants its holster back. :cool:

SteyrAUG
09-25-21, 02:09
I know they aren’t high speed but I still think flapped holsters like this have merit in certain scenarios. If BLACKHAWK! would come out with a WML version I might still try one out (but I doubt they will because like you alluded to, this seems to be kind of a “legacy” product for them)

Honestly, I still have my late 80s Bianchi flap holster, made for the M9 but was one of the first to actually work with my HK USP.

TheAlsatian
09-25-21, 06:02
Yes I saw a number of them. The S3 shop from SOCCENT bought them privately/group. I flew to Bagram i early 2002 with an officer from that shop and he was carrying an M9 in one. Most of our stuff like that was private purchase and I had a Safariland.

Slater
09-25-21, 08:21
1999 called it wants its holster back. :cool:

Heck, Blackhawk could always market them to the Retro crowd. "Used by SpecOps forces when they assaulted the oil storage tanks at Macho Grande in 1988" :D

chuckman
09-25-21, 10:00
Yup, had it.....

jbjh
09-26-21, 18:36
Tactical Tailor has the Modular Light Holster. A bit more web on it than I’d like, but looks like a decent piece of kit. I’d bet they’d even put a flap on if you asked nice (and payed them money).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 AE
10-13-21, 17:05
Received the left hand version of the holster the other day. I like how it rides higher up the thigh than a lot of the thigh/drop holsters out there. With the flap velcro'd in the up position, the adjustable thumb break works just fine, and my draw isn't as slow as I thought it would be. Both my Colt 1911 and Walther PPQ fit really well. Spare magazine holder has an adjustable flap and works with the double stack PPQ mags, Surefire G2X light, or Gerber full size multitool. Pretty good value at $60.00 through Amazon.

I do have one question, the holster has a 4" x 2" flap on the back side with the Blackhawk label stitched to it that folds upwards and Velcro's itself to the holster. Anyone have an idea what it's used for? :confused:

nick84
10-13-21, 18:01
I got issued a Blackhawk dragbag once. The middle buckle broke as soon I put the rifle in the bag. Hadn't even done with it. I have pretty much refused on principle to use anything of theirs since, but if it works for you, use the crap out of it.

Sorry for unrelated vent comments.