PDA

View Full Version : Am I an Idiot? Wolf or bear through a POF?

VexxedSaint
12-12-08, 04:01
OK guys, I just rcently returned from the sand box and I purchased a POF 16" upper and slapped it on to a POF lower w/ stag parts ( dont ask me why its a long story). Anyways, Iv been out of the loop for awhile so Iv noticed that prices are...well FRICK'N ridiculous!!!:( I dont have alot of money to be spending on ammo, (now that I'm a struggling college student) so would it be ok to run any wolf or bear ammo through it? And if so which one should I run? If not, why? And also if not what else should I be looking at?I just want alot plinking time and enough special ammo for when the barbarian horde invades;)

what should I do?

bkb0000
12-12-08, 04:06
OK guys, I just rcently returned from the sand box and I purchased a POF 16" upper and slapped it on to a POF lower w/ stag parts ( dont ask me why its a long story). Anyways, Iv been out of the loop for awhile so Iv noticed that prices are...well FRICK'N ridiculous!!!:( I dont have alot of money to be spending on ammo, (now that I'm a struggling college student) so would it be ok to run any wolf or bear ammo through it? And if so which one should I run? If not, why? And also if not what else should I be looking at?I just want alot plinking time and enough special ammo for when the barbarian horde invades;)

what should I do?

so many guys i know and guys around here run Wolf, and it's so cheap, that i'm gonna go ahead and order a few cases myself.

do it, mang. welcome home, thanks for your service, welcome to the board.

Littlelebowski
12-12-08, 08:04
Welcome back. If it doesn't run Wolf, it's too delicate for anything in my book

Steve in PA
12-12-08, 10:16
Buy a few boxes (instead of a full case) and see how it runs in your rifle. In my Bushmaster, Wolf runs just fine. Never had a problem. If, after a few boxes you have good results, buy more.

I have about 1.5k rounds of Wolf MC on hand and about 3k rounds of brass cased ammo loaded, with components to make another 1k so I don't need to shoot Wolf. But Wolf is cheap and runs fine in my rifle.

warpigM-4
12-12-08, 11:36
glad your home brother!!!!!!I say shoot it if it goes bang and your weapon eats it then its GTG:D

VexxedSaint
12-12-08, 12:21
OK, so wolf is ok what about silver bear or brown bear? arnt they branauls and are any of them ok?

huntgrouse
12-14-08, 07:29
I have run Wolf for years now. numeorus courses etc. Runs fine. I have run it in Bushy, LMT, Armalite, no issues. Thousands of rounds. Semi and 3 rd burst, no issues. Both 556 and 9mm Polymer. I wont speak for others but I have no complaints, especially the price

Tomac
12-14-08, 08:12
OK, so wolf is ok what about silver bear or brown bear? arnt they branauls and are any of them ok?

Silver Bear (and, yep, it's made by Barnaul) is noticeably hotter than Wolf and runs cleaner. Nothing wrong w/Wolf for range use if it runs well in your gun but I prefer Silver Bear when I can get it (and it's been getting harder to find lately...)
Tomac

markm
12-14-08, 10:06
Actually... I'd have more use of the Wolf than I would the POF. And I don't shoot wolf. :p

aatactical
12-14-08, 17:59
I would buy once fired bras and learn to reload your own before I would put any steel cased ammo down the pipe of any of my weapons now that is just my preferance alot guys like it.

ar-junkie
12-14-08, 20:06
I would buy once fired bras and learn to reload your own before I would put any steel cased ammo down the pipe of any of my weapons now that is just my preferance alot guys like it.

+1, if you want the price to be cheap and the quality to be high, reloading blows anything out of the water.

bkb0000
12-14-08, 20:09
+1, if you want the price to be cheap and the quality to be high, reloading blows anything out of the water.

if you've already got the $1000-$1500 in equipment and the gobs and gobs of time to reload quality and in quantity.. otherwise, not really.

im not dissing on reloading, but for some guys its absolutely not practical.

ar-junkie
12-14-08, 21:18
[QUOTE=bkb0000;270308]if you've already got the $1000-$1500 in equipment QUOTE]

For those reading that are debating on going into reloading, this is not what it costs to start reloading quality ammo. It don't take a grand - not even close - to get into reloading good ammo. Now if you want to kick out hundreds of rounds in an hour start to finish, then maybe you might need a set-up that costs that much.

And I will agree, reguardless of the press, some people just simply cannot reload or even attempt it.

Littlelebowski
12-14-08, 21:27
And there's plenty of us that don't have the time to reload, whose time is worth more shooting instead of reloading, and don't pamper our weapons worrying about if the ammo is going to hurt them. Any "assault" rifle that can't handle some soft steel cased, underpowered Russian ammo isn't worth having in my book. I have two AR15s that gobble Wolf up like candy. Both are conventional direct impingement guns. If I was considering buying a gas piston gun that cost twice what I paid for a DI gun, it had damned well better be able to handle anything the cheaper guns can.

I don't have oodles of free time. I want to shoot, not to reload. Wolf ammo helps me do that. If a POF gun can't handle what my $800-$900 AR15s can, then it's a joke of a weapon to me. I'd be very surprised if any of you could actually reload ammo so well that you'll beat me or anyone else on here in accuracy during a carbine class by virtue of ammo quality alone. These are assault rifles, not precision rifles.

bkb0000
12-14-08, 21:56
[QUOTE=bkb0000;270308]if you've already got the $1000-$1500 in equipment QUOTE]

For those reading that are debating on going into reloading, this is not what it costs to start reloading quality ammo. It don't take a grand - not even close - to get into reloading good ammo. Now if you want to kick out hundreds of rounds in an hour start to finish, then maybe you might need a set-up that costs that much.

And I will agree, reguardless of the press, some people just simply cannot reload or even attempt it.

id love to- but i barely have time to train, and i wouldnt be getting a teeny little sinlge stage press if i were to get into it, id want progressive. surely, reloading saves you MONEY out of pocket- but look at it like this; how much time does it take? i generally make between $500-800 per day that i work, sometimes as much as $1000 on a good day. can i load 500 rounds of ammo in the same work day?

its cheaper for me to buy it.

firthcpt
12-17-08, 22:21
I run Wolf thru my Stag with no problems, dirty yes but decent plinking ammo. For cheap trigger time you might look at getting a conversion unit from Brownells or CMMG. They work great and w/27rd BDM mags and are a blast to shoot. Those that have tried mine come away with grins. 550 rds of Federal Value packs from Wal-Mart run about 13.00. Cheap entertainment/fun.:D