PDA

View Full Version : If you could jump in the Wayback Machine

Averageman
09-25-21, 12:46
And fly any aircraft, which would it be?

Scrubber3
09-25-21, 13:05
I had a transformers kite as a kid. I'd like to have that one back.

But I wouldn't mind a DC-3

Det-Sog
09-25-21, 13:34
OK... Technically this is an aircraft. The original one even had ejection seats. Took a real pilot. You only had ONE chance to get the landing right.

https://thumbs-prod.si-cdn.com/UkRZyIZaDUnKW9mt77g1FVBbupU=/800x600/filters:no_upscale():focal(594x217:595x218)/https://public-media.si-cdn.com/filer/6b/7c/6b7c71e4-91e5-4990-b99f-dfed10105548/first-shuttle-backlit.jpg

If that does not count, this one.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Vought_F4U_Corsair_%28USMC%29.jpg

SteyrAUG
09-25-21, 15:06
Having grown up watching Baa Baa Black Sheep, I'm going with Det-Sog and picking the F4U Corsair.

From everything I've read it's a little tricky to land, but that would my pick.

Delta-3
09-25-21, 16:03
No question...The Corsair! Specifically the F4U-1 C with the 4 20mm cannons. Although, the Stuka is a close second.

Business_Casual
09-25-21, 17:15
Bf109 Gustav

SteyrAUG
09-25-21, 17:56
No question...The Corsair! Specifically the F4U-1 C with the 4 20mm cannons. Although, the Stuka is a close second.

Much as the Stuka checks off my WWII plane fetish, I don't think it's something I'd want to point at the ground and gun it. I have long since lost my "need for speed" and now view most aircraft as something mechanical with a high probability of failing and falling out of the sky. I don't have a phobia of flying but I do recognize Vegas odds.

I know some "go jets" guys and I've learned enough to know that ain't me. The guys doing carrier landings at night during Gulf War I...jesus christ.

I do think it would be kinda cool to jump a Marine Harrier, but I'm worried I might park it in the ditch.

ABNAK
09-25-21, 17:59
Having grown up watching Baa Baa Black Sheep, I'm going with Det-Sog and picking the F4U Corsair.

From everything I've read it's a little tricky to land, but that would my pick.

I gotta definitely say that would be near the top of the list. Maybe a P-51 Mustang or an F4F Wildcat (yeah, the Wildcat was an early-war staple but it has always intrigued me).

Read where on the Wildcat you had to manually crank up your landing gear; they went into the fuselage, not the wings like the later Hellcat and most other aircraft.

My wife and I met a couple when we were vacationing in the U.S. Virgin Islands one time. They were older than us, but we hit it off talking about WWII aircraft. The guy was impressed I knew so much about them (I was a WWII nerd growing up). Turns out they were pretty well-off; he owned some kind of factory somewhere. He also owned a P-51 Mustang! He told me that when he was learning to fly it the guy teaching him warned him that the engine was so powerful that you had to counter the torque/rotation of the prop by riding the stick and/or one of the pedals (I don't recall which) or it could flip upside down on you.

LoboTBL
09-25-21, 18:31
I'd want to go all the way back and fly the Wright Brothers' airplane and do it where they did it.

SteyrAUG
09-25-21, 18:34
I gotta definitely say that would be near the top of the list. Maybe a P-51 Mustang or an F4F Wildcat (yeah, the Wildcat was an early-war staple but it has always intrigued me).

Read where on the Wildcat you had to manually crank up your landing gear; they went into the fuselage, not the wings like the later Hellcat and most other aircraft.

My wife and I met a couple when we were vacationing in the U.S. Virgin Islands one time. They were older than us, but we hit it off talking about WWII aircraft. The guy was impressed I knew so much about them (I was a WWII nerd growing up). Turns out they were pretty well-off; he owned some kind of factory somewhere. He also owned a P-51 Mustang! He told me that when he was learning to fly it the guy teaching him warned him that the engine was so powerful that you had to counter the torque/rotation of the prop by riding the stick and/or one of the pedals (I don't recall which) or it could flip upside down on you.

I could probably add most WWII aircraft to the list if given the opportunity. The Supermarine Spitfire is another that grabs me for whatever reason.

https://azure.wgp-cdn.co.uk/app-militaria-history/posts/STRIP-SpitfireVB.jpg

I'd also love to take a spin in a Mitsubishi A6M just to see what the hype was all about but there is only one "all original" survivor and it's in a museum.

Along those lines it sounds like I'd really enjoy the Planes of Fame museum but I don't see myself being in CA any time soon.

flenna
09-25-21, 18:53
The P-47 Thunderbolt would be my choice. That plane was a flying tank- hard to shoot down, awesome as a ground attack plane and capable as a fighter. They were so feared in the European theater that the Germans told citizens that P-47 pilots were recruited from mental institutions and to kill them if captured.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=99Hp4VJG7h0

Diamondback
09-25-21, 18:59
One of Pan Am's Boeing Clippers.
https://airandspace.si.edu/sites/default/files/images/7146h.jpg
Note, this art is based on prototype NC18601 as first built and does not include the final triple-tail configuration that was required for directional control and stability in engine-out operations.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-25-21, 19:26
One of Pan Am's Boeing Clippers.
https://airandspace.si.edu/sites/default/files/images/7146h.jpg
Note, this art is based on prototype NC18601 as first built and does not include the final triple-tail configuration that was required for directional control and stability in engine-out operatiiniinons.

I was thinking more of a PBY Catalina, but something to fly around in the Caribbean or Pacific Islands. Just chillin' from island to island.

I'm hoping that before I die they come up with electric engined sea planes and solar panels on the top of the wings. Just Bop around. Use the solar cells to 'refuel' - who cares if it takes a few days. Just fish for food, grab some fruit. Fly, F**k, fish. Repeat.

Diamondback
09-25-21, 19:30
Main problem with the big Boeing boats was strictly water-only, but a PBY-6A or Grumman Albatross outfitted as a "flying yacht" could be good too.

opngrnd
09-25-21, 19:33
I know zero about flying, beyond the fact it runs on pure magic, hope, and dreams. Don't explain it to me, either. I like pretending it's all a magic carpet ride. Having explained the science, I've always been intrigued by the P-51.

arptsprt
09-25-21, 19:36
If spacecraft are eligible, Apollo capsule on top of Saturn V rocket on the way to the moon.

Otherwise, without question, the SR-71 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titsonritz
09-25-21, 19:46
A flying boat would be cool.

ABNAK
09-25-21, 20:18
I'd also love to take a spin in a Mitsubishi A6M just to see what the hype was all about but there is only one "all original" survivor and it's in a museum.

Yeah, that would be cool to do. It was "light" by combat aircraft standards and therefore was quite maneuverable and zippy speed-wise. It could not, however, absorb a lot of damage. The Wildcat I mentioned above (nicknamed the "Grumman Ironworks" by the Navy) could actually out-dive it, and if the F4F had enough altitude he could get a Jap off his tail by doing so.

Man, I love this trivia type of discussion!

ABNAK
09-25-21, 20:23
I was thinking more of a PBY Catalina, but something to fly around in the Caribbean or Pacific Islands. Just chillin' from island to island.

Damn that would be cool as hell! Keep a little zodiac-style boat with motor onboard.

3 AE
09-25-21, 21:01
I still can't decide between the F6F Hellcat or the P-47 Thunderbolt. Either one would be my dream flight. They both could take a licking and keep on hitting! On second thought, for pure badass excitement, I'm going with the A-10 Thunderbolt II. That's my final answer!

nitmr26
09-25-21, 21:30
I do think it would be kinda cool to jump a Marine Harrier, but I'm worried I might park it in the ditch.
I flew Harriers when I was in the Marine Corps. They were a lot of fun, but you definitely had to stay focused to keep it out of the ditch. Here’s a picture of me launching off the BHR in 2013.

If I had a Wayback Machine, I would be flying Corsairs.

Honu
09-25-21, 21:41
my dads f-86 that he had with his name on it in Korea :)

SteyrAUG
09-25-21, 22:07
Yeah, that would be cool to do. It was "light" by combat aircraft standards and therefore was quite maneuverable and zippy speed-wise. It could not, however, absorb a lot of damage. The Wildcat I mentioned above (nicknamed the "Grumman Ironworks" by the Navy) could actually out-dive it, and if the F4F had enough altitude he could get a Jap off his tail by doing so.

Man, I love this trivia type of discussion!

Yeah, seemed to be good for surprise attacks and taking on dated designs like the P-40, but even the AVG learned how to play the game, but once modern US designs came about, especially the F4U the zero sen was pretty much done for.

SteyrAUG
09-25-21, 22:09
I flew Harriers when I was in the Marine Corps. They were a lot of fun, but you definitely had to stay focused to keep it out of the ditch. Here’s a picture of me launching off the BHR in 2013.

That is actually pretty f'ing cool.

VIP3R 237
09-25-21, 22:54
Man I have a lost but if I had to choose just one, it’s the Spitfire XIV. Supremely agile and a climb rate that would outgain even some 1950’s jet fighters.
Others would be the F14D, SU-37 Terminator, and the F86.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-25-21, 23:15
Damn that would be cool as hell! Keep a little zodiac-style boat with motor onboard.

If it got too warm are the ocean just fly up and cool off or go even higher and chill the beer.

Do you ever leave the launch signal officer hanging? Since you’re totally in control and there’s no catapult, you get to launch whenever you want. Right?

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-25-21, 23:18
my dads f-86 that he had with his name on it in Korea :)

That is so cool. Like the definition of cool. Like you can’t use a metaphor to describe how cool it is, because it is cooler than the metaphor.

Diamondback
09-25-21, 23:20

ShinMaywa US-1 or a Beriev Albatross or Altair might be better bets for boat-on-bird. The Japanese bird IIRC already has a side hatch for launching boats since it's a dedicated SAR platform, and IIRC the Russians did something similar with their two since they were meant to dual-role between SAR and maritime patrol.

fred
09-26-21, 00:43

You are a badass, salut!

fred
09-26-21, 00:48
As a young Marine I was fascinated by the Harriers, especially on float. All-time fave however is the A-10, that would be my wayback machine choice.

gunrunner505
09-26-21, 01:11
WWII fighter Focke Wulf FW190
WWII bomber B17
Old commercial airliner Douglas DC6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommyrott
09-26-21, 09:53
P-38 in barge buster mode, it had a 40mm bofor in place of the original cannon and 2 of the .50 machine guns. carried 15 rnds of 40mm and to reload you had to stand up and lift the seat up to drop the ammo in the chute. had a Revel model of it and there was a little information about it when I built the model in 1970, I think less than 5 were configured in the Pacific theater

Diamondback
09-26-21, 10:16
P-38 in barge buster mode, it had a 40mm bofor in place of the original cannon and 2 of the .50 machine guns. carried 15 rnds of 40mm and to reload you had to stand up and lift the seat up to drop the ammo in the chute. had a Revel model of it and there was a little information about it when I built the model in 1970, I think less than 5 were configured in the Pacific theater

Like a baby version of Pappy Gunn's 75mm-packing B-25s around the Solomons and New Guinea?

Korgs130
09-26-21, 10:27
My wife’s favorite is the Mustang. Several years ago I got her an hour in a dual control TP-51. She was still flying in the ANG at the time, so the IP let her fly a full aerobatic profile. Seriously cool as f#%k.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210926/c2df4bf49d58c3da5706e546804f10ac.jpg

For me, I’d have to go with Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. While I’m a firm believer that low-level flying is far and away far the best kind of flying, taking the Starfighter up on a zoom profile pushing 100,000 ft would be boss.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210926/305ada40113d53b42dd2733958a12073.jpg

https://youtu.be/O7azACyezAU

Diamondback
09-26-21, 11:37
Okay... I'm gonna get very specific here.

Dial the Wayback Machine thusly...
The time: Spring 1981.
The place: Echo Ramp, 318th FIS, McChord AFB.
The plane: Convair F-106B Delta Dart c/n 59-0152 or 59-0158.
The personnel: my college mentor/"surrogate dad" who commanded the 318th at that time as Instructor Pilot in the back seat.

Honu
09-26-21, 11:44

WOW very cool :)

titsonritz
09-26-21, 16:42
For me, I’d have to go with Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. While I’m a firm believer that low-level flying is far and away far the best kind of flying, taking the Starfighter up on a zoom profile pushing 100,000 ft would be boss.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210926/305ada40113d53b42dd2733958a12073.jpg

https://youtu.be/O7azACyezAU

Go back to the right time and you could see the USS Enterprise up there.