PDA

View Full Version : What's the consensus on gas tubes that restrict flow?

okie
09-28-21, 20:47
I have a Mk18 that's pretty gassy suppressed. I don't want to put an adjustable on it, and want to change out the carrier even less. I've heard of some gas tubes that have a smaller hole, but I'm not sure where to find them or if they're a good idea or not.

AndyLate
09-28-21, 21:14
I have a Mk18 that's pretty gassy suppressed. I don't want to put an adjustable on it, and want to change out the carrier even less. I've heard of some gas tubes that have a smaller hole, but I'm not sure where to find them or if they're a good idea or not.

You can find them at Black River Tactical. I have not used one of the tubes, so cannot comment on them. I can say I have found BRT products to be uniformly high quality.

Andy

MWAG19919
09-28-21, 21:22
Well I can tell you where to find them, but I have no personal experience with them.

https://blackrivertactical.com/

I actually have the opposite experience with my MK18; it's gassed perfectly for its intended role (5.56 with a suppressor), but with .223 and no suppressor it's pretty anemically gassed.

okie
09-29-21, 02:01
Well I can tell you where to find them, but I have no personal experience with them.

https://blackrivertactical.com/

I actually have the opposite experience with my MK18; it's gassed perfectly for its intended role (5.56 with a suppressor), but with .223 and no suppressor it's pretty anemically gassed.

Mine with no silencer is picky about locking back with .223. It will lock back on lancer 20 rounders, but not with Okay milspec mags. With the silencer, it will lock back with anything even running an H3 buffer. It has a .07 gas port.

If you have a DD, it might have a smaller port. I heard something about them reducing the gas port size to under milspec on theirs.

MWAG19919
09-29-21, 04:38
Mine with no silencer is picky about locking back with .223. It will lock back on lancer 20 rounders, but not with Okay milspec mags. With the silencer, it will lock back with anything even running an H3 buffer. It has a .07 gas port.

If you have a DD, it might have a smaller port. I heard something about them reducing the gas port size to under milspec on theirs.

You're spot on. It's a newer DD with a 0.070" gas port. It locks back on my .223 reloads at the indoor range, but in colder temps it only locks back with 5.56 (and even then, ejection is sluggish). My HD load is 5.56x45mm Hornady SBR, so I'm not too concerned, but it's slightly annoying that it doesn't "like" one of my favorite .223 handloads.

No suppressors allowed here in IL, but it's at the top of my list when I get the hell out of this state.

It probably doesn't help that the gun has a Law folder (2.3 oz extra weight for the adapter plug), but I've tried all manner of buffers before settling on a VLTOR A5H0 and a standard power rifle spring.

opngrnd
09-29-21, 05:01
I've also found BRT products to be excellent, and have used their has tubes to adjust gas flow. I found they worked exactly as advertised. In a different thread, one was used 5,000 rounds suppressed without issue.

09-29-21, 05:19
There’s a two-year old thread in technical that I posted in two weeks ago. It might still be close to the top.

I like them.

gaijin
09-29-21, 05:44
I use three BRT gabs tubes in overgassed BCM Barrels; 2 - 11.5” and a 14.5”.
Mine are unsuppressed but there’s a noticeable difference in recoil impulse with the BRT Tube.
A range bud runs one with his Suppressed mk 18 and it tamed his overgassed issue.

390ish
09-29-21, 07:00
They work as advertised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clint
09-29-21, 07:40
Our tubes work and they're easy.

Here is the link to the thread.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?218722-BRT-EZTUNE-Gas-Tubes

There’s a two-year old thread in technical that I posted in two weeks ago. It might still be close to the top.

I like them.

themonk
09-29-21, 08:39
I was in the same boat with a 10.5 and an 11.5 and the gas tubes work great. I also have a few older guns with blow holes and they make them enjoyable to shoot suppressed. From a reliability no fuss standpoint I would much rather have a restricted gas tube vs an adjustable gas block.

MegademiC
09-29-21, 11:30

Brt tubes. I have one, and recommend them.

markm
09-29-21, 12:21
They're the best solution to industry incompetence in gas port specifications. There's no downside to them except you have to buy them.

okie
09-29-21, 15:15
I was in the same boat with a 10.5 and an 11.5 and the gas tubes work great. I also have a few older guns with blow holes and they make them enjoyable to shoot suppressed. From a reliability no fuss standpoint I would much rather have a restricted gas tube vs an adjustable gas block.

In my humble opinion, adjustable gas blocks have no place on anything but race guns. I would like to see the next gen AR (M4A2???) have a multi position block that was tuned for the barrel length and ammo and a given silencer. Could also have a cold weather/adverse setting.

markm
09-29-21, 20:29
In my humble opinion, adjustable gas blocks have no place on anything but race guns.

I don't know. The only problem I saw with an adjustable was one that I got lazy and didn't dimple.... it moved. With an adjustable, I've only set it once and never moved it again... so the gas tube is way easier to get the same result.

Troutrunner
09-30-21, 09:22
I have an older Noveske that was way overgassed. I talked with Clint at BRT and opted for one of his unsuppressed tubes. Easy installation and immediately noticed the effects. Always locked back and maintained full function every time. Well worth it.

Now, I'm looking at getting another set of tubes now that I have suppressors. Only trying to decide if I want to go 100% suppressed or go 50/50.

MistWolf
09-30-21, 17:51
I have an older Noveske that was way overgassed. I talked with Clint at BRT and opted for one of his unsuppressed tubes. Easy installation and immediately noticed the effects. Always locked back and maintained full function every time. Well worth it.

Now, I'm looking at getting another set of tubes now that I have suppressors. Only trying to decide if I want to go 100% suppressed or go 50/50.

100%. It didn't take me long to decide I wasn't going to shoot any of my suppressed ARs without a suppressor.

Troutrunner
09-30-21, 22:28
100%. It didn't take me long to decide I wasn't going to shoot any of my suppressed ARs without a suppressor.

That's the input I was looking for. 100% suppressed it is.

Five_Point_Five_Six
10-01-21, 11:13

Agreed. I can't speak to everyone's needs and uses, but I think the "need" for the same upper to run suppressed and unsuppressed is overblown.

The BRT tubes are excellent.

markm
10-01-21, 12:45
It's nice if the gun will at least run without the can, even if it won't lock back reliably. I hate running a can on my ARs, so I'm backwards... I like the gun to run sweet unsuppressed, and not too terrible if a suppressor is added.

okie
10-01-21, 13:31
Agreed. I can't speak to everyone's needs and uses, but I think the "need" for the same upper to run suppressed and unsuppressed is overblown.

The BRT tubes are excellent.

In an ideal world, all guns would have integral cans. But with transfer tax and times being what they are for factory NFA items, people like to have one can and switch it back and forth between all their guns. Which keeps most manufacturers from really exploring all the integral options that exist.

Clint
10-01-21, 15:49
The majority of our EZTUNE customers select the 50/50 suppressed tune.

It allows the most flexibility and runs great, but isn't quite as smooth as a dedicated suppressed tune.

It's similar to pickup truck vs sports car.

MistWolf
10-02-21, 01:44
It's nice if the gun will at least run without the can, even if it won't lock back reliably. I hate running a can on my ARs, so I'm backwards... I like the gun to run sweet unsuppressed, and not too terrible if a suppressor is added.

For me, it's about convenience. It's more convenient to leave the suppressor on the AR and it's more convenient to shoot shorties with a suppressor than without.

okie
10-02-21, 08:50
For me, it's about convenience. It's more convenient to leave the suppressor on the AR and it's more convenient to shoot shorties with a suppressor than without.

If you direct thread, there are also lots of benefits in weight savings and even performance. I just built a 10oz 5.5" x 1.5" with six baffles that outperforms larger factory cans that are longer. My SOT shot it before returning it to me, and he was so impressed he's building one just like it to replace his AAC.

Clint
10-02-21, 09:04
Very cool.

Can you provide some more details / pictures on baffle design, clips and porting? (perhaps in a dedicated thread)

MINI type cans (<12oz) are very handy, with the general downside of being a little (or a lot) louder than full size versions.

I just built a 10oz 5.5" x 1.5" with six baffles that outperforms larger factory cans that are longer. My SOT shot it before returning it to me, and he was so impressed he's building one just like it to replace his AAC.

MistWolf
10-02-21, 10:41
If you direct thread, there are also lots of benefits in weight savings and even performance. I just built a 10oz 5.5" x 1.5" with six baffles that outperforms larger factory cans that are longer. My SOT shot it before returning it to me, and he was so impressed he's building one just like it to replace his AAC.

My cans are direct thread to save on length and weight. I was going to say it also saves me the cost of QD mounts, but I realized it means I'm buying more suppressors.

I agree with Clint. Please start a thread about the details of the suppressor you built.

okie
10-02-21, 20:10
Very cool.

Can you provide some more details / pictures on baffle design, clips and porting? (perhaps in a dedicated thread)

MINI type cans (<12oz) are very handy, with the general downside of being a little (or a lot) louder than full size versions.

My cans are direct thread to save on length and weight. I was going to say it also saves me the cost of QD mounts, but I realized it means I'm buying more suppressors.

I agree with Clint. Please start a thread about the details of the suppressor you built.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?232268-My-new-Form-1-build&p=2982006#post2982006

I've only put a few rounds through it so far, so much testing still to do.

Five_Point_Five_Six
10-06-21, 16:29
In an ideal world, all guns would have integral cans. But with transfer tax and times being what they are for factory NFA items, people like to have one can and switch it back and forth between all their guns. Which keeps most manufacturers from really exploring all the integral options that exist.

You still can switch one can between multiple guns, even if they're gassed to run suppressed only. You can only shoot one gun at a time anyway.

The majority of our EZTUNE customers select the 50/50 suppressed tune.

It allows the most flexibility and runs great, but isn't quite as smooth as a dedicated suppressed tune.

It's similar to pickup truck vs sports car.

I purchased both the 50/50 and the Carbine Suppressed gas tubes from Weapon Outfitters. Initially I installed the 50/50 Suppressed tube on my MK18 with the .07" gas port. I didn't feel like it was enough of a difference to keep it on the MK18, so I put the Carbine Suppressed gas tube in it and moved the 50/50 to an overgassed 11.5" BCM. It was perfect in the BCM.

Pappabear
10-06-21, 17:27
Yes, they work and BRT is easy to work with in my experience.

PB

okie
10-06-21, 17:54
You still can switch one can between multiple guns, even if they're gassed to run suppressed only. You can only shoot one gun at a time anyway.

I purchased both the 50/50 and the Carbine Suppressed gas tubes from Weapon Outfitters. Initially I installed the 50/50 Suppressed tube on my MK18 with the .07" gas port. I didn't feel like it was enough of a difference to keep it on the MK18, so I put the Carbine Suppressed gas tube in it and moved the 50/50 to an overgassed 11.5" BCM. It was perfect in the BCM.

An integral can can't be switched between guns.

Five_Point_Five_Six
10-06-21, 23:49
An integral can can't be switched between guns.

I'm not talking about integral cans.

Clint
10-13-21, 07:16
Is the gas dialed back yet?

or still running with the 070 port?

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?232268-My-new-Form-1-build&p=2982006#post2982006

I've only put a few rounds through it so far, so much testing still to do.

okie
10-13-21, 13:36
Is the gas dialed back yet?

or still running with the 070 port?

I'm going to get one of your tubes, just haven't done it yet. Kind of agonizing over the different options lol.

Clint
10-13-21, 16:29
Easy. Just get this one.
https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-EZTUNE-Gas-Tube-Configurable-Carbine-p103167251

I'm going to get one of your tubes, just haven't done it yet. Kind of agonizing over the different options lol.

okie
10-13-21, 17:06
Easy. Just get this one.
https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-EZTUNE-Gas-Tube-Configurable-Carbine-p103167251

I mean the options. My port is .07 as far as I know so I'm not sure which one to order.

Clint
10-13-21, 19:15
Options
Tune => Dedicated Suppressed
Port Size => BRT Will Select Best Option
Fill the rest based on your configuration

I mean the options. My port is .07 as far as I know so I'm not sure which one to order.

okie
10-13-21, 20:49
Options

Oh I see. I thought that was asking what my factory port size was. Okay, that makes a lot more sense now.

okie
10-13-21, 20:51
Options

What buffer should I select? Running an H3 right now, but obviously want to get that down. H2 sound good? Iirc that's what Crane specified for use with the CQBR uppers.

Sparky5019
10-18-21, 20:40
Nothing wrong with Clint’s system at all. I put put SLR adjustable bas blocks on all the suppressed SBRs we build. Just easy for most people to adjust when variables change.

twm134
10-25-21, 21:07
Options

Are you planning on offering the micro-tune gas blocks any time soon?

10-26-21, 05:26
What buffer should I select? Running an H3 right now, but obviously want to get that down. H2 sound good? Iirc that's what Crane specified for use with the CQBR uppers.
Between H1 and H2, I don’t think it matters that much once the port is choked down. The same port size will likely run both. I would personally choose H1; you can always go up or down from there. Many here advocate for the H2. Either are fine, IMO. I smear a tiny bit of Griffin Horse Jipe high temp anti-seize on the tube and gas block when I install, in case I decide to change it after testing.

okie
10-26-21, 08:57
Between H1 and H2, I don’t think it matters that much once the port is choked down. The same port size will likely run both. I would personally choose H1; you can always go up or down from there. Many here advocate for the H2. Either are fine, IMO. I smear a tiny bit of Griffin Horse Jipe high temp anti-seize on the tube and gas block when I install, in case I decide to change it after testing.

H2 was the standard buffer either issued with or recommended for the Mk18, depending on which version and who issued it, and how. They then went up to H3 as the ports eroded to keep the bolts from running too fast. Not sure how they landed on it, but the H2 was considered ideal for a fresh one.

Clint
10-26-21, 11:14
Not at this time.

The EZTUNE gas tubes (https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Adjustable-Gas-Drive-c6464009) work so well, there's not much need for a gas block solution.

Are you planning on offering the micro-tune gas blocks any time soon?