PDA

View Full Version : Starting over post 40

Grand58742
09-29-21, 06:22
So, I'm about to make a seriously life altering decision... probably today... and resign from my current position. Long story short, the job I'm in is starting to cause me health problems and I need a new gig with way less wear and tear on my body and mind for lack of a better term. There are other factors at work here that I don't want to get into, but I'm probably going to be starting over with my life somewhere else.

The question is, has anyone else ever made a similar decision and hit the big "reset" button this "late" in life and potentially pursued a new career? I'm unsure of my next steps at the moment, but I'll be okay financially for a bit while I seek out my next employment in an unrelated field.

Averageman
09-29-21, 06:49
So, I'm about to make a seriously life altering decision... probably today... and resign from my current position. Long story short, the job I'm in is starting to cause me health problems and I need a new gig with way less wear and tear on my body and mind for lack of a better term. There are other factors at work here that I don't want to get into, but I'm probably going to be starting over with my life somewhere else.

The question is, has anyone else ever made a similar decision and hit the big "reset" button this "late" in life and potentially pursued a new career? I'm unsure of my next steps at the moment, but I'll be okay financially for a bit while I seek out my next employment in an unrelated field.

Yes, I have.
I finished a career inthe Military and was teaching HS locally. 9/11 happened and I dropped out of teaching and went in to Defence Contracting.
As with anything, as I learn I want to do more and before long I was a "Tech Rep" for units and was embedded in units deploying overseas. 14 1/2 years later, I was done. I was physically worn out and mentally broken, you simply can't please two Masters.
I retired with enough cash in my 401 K to pay everything off, retire and live boringly ever after with a healthy bank account.
I do nothing that I don't want to do anymore, if I want to go to the range, or take a trip or just putter around the house.

It's actually pretty boring.

everready73
09-29-21, 08:15
I never have (turn 40 in October), but if the job is affecting mental and physical health I would say go for it. Only one life to live and being happy and healthy should be a top priority. Having some money set aside to do this like you said you did will greatly reduce the amount of stress

I don't know what you do now, but have you considered other careers yet? Would you consider going back to school for something completely different, or would your current experience crossover to another field you think you would enjoy?

Averageman
09-29-21, 08:23
Having the money set aside is key.
All of mine kind of fell together at the right time and although I was lucky, I had been planning for this for some time.

donlapalma
09-29-21, 08:26
This is where I'm at as well. Lots of factors playing into my current mindset, but I've been thinking about "time" so much this past year. I'm 45 and can feel the clock ticking more than ever - that sense of urgency to rearrange priorities in my life.

I don't have any answers yet but I'll be following here to see what other wise folks have to share about their experience.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

chuckman
09-29-21, 08:33
Yes. Left EMS, left the military, went into nursing. When my youngest child is out of the house I can technically retire, but at age 62 I will be reinventing myself again as my wife and I have a business plan.

Averageman
09-29-21, 08:35
I was in a lucky position.
Turn the Clock back and I had just bought a House, Retired from the Army and started Teaching. When I became a Contractor, a 401K became available and I was able to dump about 30% of my salary back in to my 401K and not be effected.
That stacks up quick and I kept an eye on it.
So when I reached my limit, I could step off.
I was paid to be an instructor and a troubleshooter. My own need to fix things ruined the job for me. The final straw was getting a call at Church to come in and fixed some injectors. I went in, no one was there, I fixed it, put everything back together and no one from the unit touched the vehicle for the next two weeks. So all of that was for naught.
Stuff like that gets to me.

AndyLate
09-29-21, 08:58
I retired from the miitary at 40 and started my current job, so yes I have. As long as you have some savings to tide you through, you should be ok. My advice is always find a new job while you are still working the current one.

Andy

GTF425
09-29-21, 09:39
It can absolutely be done.

I'm in my 30s and working on my Bachelor's. There are plenty of students who are older and either working toward a completely different career or are taking the steps to advance further. I've committed full-stop to going to Med School and will be in my 40s by the time school and Residency are knocked out.

It's never too late. Have a plan and finances in order and make it happen.

chuckman
09-29-21, 09:52
It can absolutely be done.

I'm in my 30s and working on my Bachelor's. There are plenty of students who are older and either working toward a completely different career or are taking the steps to advance further. I've committed full-stop to going to Med School and will be in my 40s by the time school and Residency are knocked out.

It's never too late. Have a plan and finances in order and make it happen.

As the wise philosopher Sinatra said, "regrets, I have a few, then again, too few to mention..."

I have a friend who was an ED doc at UNC-CH and chair of admissions at their SOM. When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do, the debate was nursing vs med school. He said based on my MCAT and GPA he could get me into med school easy peasy. I chose nursing (age, kids, couple of other factors). I mostly don't regret it, but sometimes I do. Good luck!

Honu
09-29-21, 12:10

at 43 my whole life was cut off from the path I was taken do to sulfur dioxide poison that got me :) destroyed my lungs for a bit had to move away etc... and truly threw me off my path as not only my passion and work went but my health did to !!!
and onto one I had no control over being out of control sucks so if something happened and you were forced trust me that forced eats at you vs when I had made the decision to change paths ! that was the best ever !

I never get to hung up on the shoulda coulda woulda things though :)

but NOW at 58 I am facing the same thing outside crap covid (20 months ago or so) that has radically changed the direction and destroyed my path so twice now forced into something else !

again the time I chose and was in control of walking away from a business I created causing me health issues stress etc... was glad I did took a HUGE hit in what I made but was worth it as I know you can't take anything with you :) and health and life experience are priceless !

markm
09-29-21, 12:16
I did it around age 43. Found myself dreading the idea of going back to my job every Monday. No way to live. I took less pay and learned to do with less. It was worth it. I'm at my second position since leaving, and am back to a livable income.

mrbieler
09-29-21, 13:05
I retired from the miitary at 40 and started my current job, so yes I have. As long as you have some savings to tide you through, you should be ok. My advice is always find a new job while you are still working the current one.

Andy

That's almost always the key. You're much more viable when you are currently working.

Lowdown3
09-29-21, 13:11
Your a strong stable dude, you'll do great. Hope it goes well for you.

czgunner
09-29-21, 13:31
I'm in a similar situation. Got laid of last spring due to Covid. Was a blessing because my back is not great and fixing cars made it worse. VA is paying me to go back to school. I'm studying business management. Hope to work for myself someday.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Jewell
09-29-21, 14:22
I'm 39 and currently in the process right now. I was a corrections officer for 10 years . The combination of the flip flopping schedule and the political b/s was taking quite a toll on me. It's funny b/c most days, the inmates weren't even the problem, it was mgmt. Anyhow, I wasn't in a good spot mentally or physically. When it comes down to it, you can't really put a price on those things, so it was time to move on.

Grand58742
09-29-21, 19:12
Thanks guys (and gals?)

Just a bit of apprehension going forward with no clear path. But I do have some options on the table thanks to my exceptional lady-friend.

donlapalma
09-29-21, 19:40
Thanks guys (and gals?)

Just a bit of apprehension going forward with no clear path. But I do have some options on the table thanks to my exceptional lady-friend.Did you submit your resignation today?

Entryteam
09-29-21, 21:00

I retired from an LEO career after 20 years and went back to school. I attended a coding boot camp and have been in that industry for a few years now. MUCH better job, easier, less stress, and MORE money.

Good luck on your journey, friend.

tgizzard
09-30-21, 05:53
I’m in that transition right now as well. I’ve been on the fence about leaving my job for a few years now. Started a post on that on this site a few years ago actually. At that time I was passed up for a promotion. I applied to my town’s police force; made it through the written test, physical test, and interview but ended up withdrawing my name from consideration. Realized the timing wasn’t right then and I was making a decision based on anger.

Fast forward to today and the wife and I have decided its time to move on from here for good. The job situation is unchanged. I make good money but I dred coming to work everyday. Now coupled with the fact the state I live in as well as both our places of employment have gone full re**** on covid we’ve decided it’s time to finally move on.

We are meeting with a realtor Saturday to list our house. We have zero debt outside of our current mortgage and plenty of money in the bank. Going to crash at my parents place until the school year is over so our kids don’t have to transfer mid year and then we’re out of here.

I can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanner
09-30-21, 06:59
Several years ago I was involved in an (almost fatal) motorcycle accident, multiple fractures, out of work almost 4 months while recuperating from my injuries. This was when I had an epiphany, not going back to work full-time, ever! Life is way to short to be 'on call', work weekends, work holidays, work stupid hours, miss family events, etc. This was 15 years ago. So I transitioned to another specialty, more admin stuff, doing reviews, consults, 4-5 hours/day 2-3 days /week, just enough work to be active, have a sense of fulfillment, earn some income and plenty of free time to hike, read, cycle, shoot, travel, fish, exercise, kayak and take naps !
Make that change for the better, the mental health benefit is well worth it.

Grand58742
09-30-21, 07:57
Did you submit your resignation today?

I did. Didn't go so well since I'm "abandoning" the company when they "need" me the most. Even after explaining my health concerns (and specifically what's causing them... namely the job itself) the question was still asked "can't you stay until the end of November?". Funny thing? One of my corporate contacts told me about a position he'd been eyeballing me for in business development and tried to move on several months ago. Apparently, my boss had been sitting on trying to find my replacement until after football season even though there was sufficient time (like back in May timeframe) to find the replacement prior to starting the season. Which, of course, "after football" would turn into after basketball season and then after the spring football and graduations and then the PGA tournament... so on and so forth. I.E. he was never going to look since we are perpetually busy.

Not only that, I'd still be stuck doing exactly what I've been doing for the last 15 months like some insane Groundhog Day.

It'll be a chilly two weeks, but I really don't care. At this point, I'm perfectly okay with moving forward and starting over. I was apprehensive, but my lady-friend and I talked it over last night and we both recognize the need for me to move on even if I do take a serious pay cut.

Troutrunner
09-30-21, 09:08
I'd have something new lined up before resigning the current job.

chuckman
09-30-21, 10:50
I did. Didn't go so well since I'm "abandoning" the company when they "need" me the most. Even after explaining my health concerns (and specifically what's causing them... namely the job itself) the question was still asked "can't you stay until the end of November?". Funny thing? One of my corporate contacts told me about a position he'd been eyeballing me for in business development and tried to move on several months ago. Apparently, my boss had been sitting on trying to find my replacement until after football season even though there was sufficient time (like back in May timeframe) to find the replacement prior to starting the season. Which, of course, "after football" would turn into after basketball season and then after the spring football and graduations and then the PGA tournament... so on and so forth. I.E. he was never going to look since we are perpetually busy.

Not only that, I'd still be stuck doing exactly what I've been doing for the last 15 months like some insane Groundhog Day.

It'll be a chilly two weeks, but I really don't care. At this point, I'm perfectly okay with moving forward and starting over. I was apprehensive, but my lady-friend and I talked it over last night and we both recognize the need for me to move on even if I do take a serious pay cut.

I had a great boss once when I was a supervisor, and he gave me three key pieces of leadership advice. One, the job was there before you, it'll be there after you. Two, people come and go. Three, people leave for a variety of reasons. Don't be one of those reasons.

As soon as I hear things like managers saying "you're abandoning the company" or "we need you" that is exactly the time to run, not walk, away.

Generally I do agree that it's better to leave in a position of strength when you have another job, but sometimes you just can't do it that way.

Averageman
09-30-21, 11:00

That sounds like a very comfortable trap to fall in to.
If your job is ruining your health, drop whatever your holding and walk to the exit.
No Job is Worth your Health.

Entryteam
09-30-21, 11:25

Unless you are ready to commit suicide before returning to the current job. I walked away to dissuade myself from that.

Tanner
10-01-21, 10:35
I did. Didn't go so well since I'm "abandoning" the company when they "need" me the most. Even after explaining my health concerns (and specifically what's causing them... namely the job itself) the question was still asked "can't you stay until the end of November?"..

Institutions do not care about you. Period. The 'company' would have abandoned you if it was in their best interest.
Everyone is replaceable.

Entryteam
10-01-21, 10:37
Institutions do not care about you. Period. The 'company' would have abandoned you if it was in their best interest.
Everyone is replaceable.

Absolutely, my friend. "to thine OWN self be true".

And NOTHING is impossible to a determined mind.

Keep pushing forward!

Crow Hunter
10-01-21, 15:46

If you want to move to West TN, I can pretty much guarantee you a job at either my company or my wife's company. We are hurting for everything from line workers to Quality Engineers.

Waylander
10-01-21, 21:12
I did. Didn't go so well since I'm "abandoning" the company when they "need" me the most. Even after explaining my health concerns (and specifically what's causing them... namely the job itself) the question was still asked "can't you stay until the end of November?".

The oldest trick in the book. Shift blame back to the employee.

“Abandoning the company”
Means they were most likely taking you for granted and were unprepared to fill your position so it’s your fault.

“Need you the most”
They really mean “It’s going to cost money to replace you”

I had a great boss once when I was a supervisor, and he gave me three key pieces of leadership advice. One, the job was there before you, it'll be there after you. Two, people come and go. Three, people leave for a variety of reasons. Don't be one of those reasons.

Words to live by.

flenna
10-02-21, 06:22
I’ve heard it said that people don’t quit companies, they quit managers. For me that is true, other than a career field change all the jobs I left was due to poor management.

Straight Shooter
10-02-21, 10:31
Just last month, as a matter of fact.
I have lived the last 4-5 years VERY unhappily in my previous locale. Couldnt stand my job, my apt. having no life, living to work not working to live...serious & painful health issues.
Had been praying HARD for 6 years to being able to move back to my AO in TN. My county isnt known for having high paying jobs or good places to live and rent...so it took a long time.
Finally, one morning a couple months ago, minutes after praying to God yet again to help me get away from where I was living and working...I called a gent about a place Id been trying to get for years, and to my great fortune, it was available, right at the end of my current lease, no less. I took it immediately, met him the next morning and put down my deposit.
A few weeks later, moved back to TN, but without a job.
Now, Im 56, worked like a dog since age 10-11..and was hoping to find something I could do physically, that paid enough to live on. So after steping out on Faith, God once again blessed me.
Got a job at the highest paying place in my hometown, making more per hour than any other time in my life. BONUS BLESSING: We just got a huge raise this week, in order to try to retain the people we have and bring in new ones. God really came thru again for me. Ive been a new man since moving. My job is difficult, and has been very trying on me to learn it, midway thru a 10 week class at this point. Im 25-35 years older than almost all my co-workers doing the same job. But God strengthens me daily!
I truly can do NOTHING without Gods unearned grace & mercy. I was really at the end of my rope previously, and was having some rather dark thoughts of late. Those are all gone now.
To those of you in a similar place, or worse...please GO TO GOD. He answered in HIS time, and its been wonderful for me. Just pray, keep the faith, and KNOW He is working on your situation.

chuckman
10-02-21, 12:00
I’ve heard it said that people don’t quit companies, they quit managers. For me that is true, other than a career field change all the jobs I left was due to poor management.

Yeah, I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. In fact, I know that's not always true. People leave for other opportunities, full career changes, school, family, move across the country because they want to live in another state. There are a whole bunch of reasons. There's good attrition and bad attrition. When you quit because of management, that is bad attrition. And a lot of people do that, the boss goes under the microscope.

Averageman
10-02-21, 17:06

Pretty good observation.

1986s4
10-03-21, 11:06
I think I've lived three lives. 1) early years as an elite athlete, single and highly focused on myself. 2) Married with two children for 24 years. But the wife wanted something different so I was discarded, along with the dog.... 3) Happily married again to a great woman, step father to some great kids. The shift from 2 to 3 was traumatic emotionally and I went through some dark times. But life is great now ! Don't be afraid to make some changes !

tgizzard
10-03-21, 20:03
Wife and I are officially listing the house on the market this week. Hoping it sells and fast. If all goes to plan, we’re be back South after this school year is over.

everready73
10-04-21, 12:08
I have lived the last 4-5 years VERY unhappily in my previous locale. Couldnt stand my job, my apt. having no life, living to work not working to live...serious & painful health issues.
Had been praying HARD for 6 years to being able to move back to my AO in TN. My county isnt known for having high paying jobs or good places to live and rent...so it took a long time.
Finally, one morning a couple months ago, minutes after praying to God yet again to help me get away from where I was living and working...I called a gent about a place Id been trying to get for years, and to my great fortune, it was available, right at the end of my current lease, no less. I took it immediately, met him the next morning and put down my deposit.
Now, Im 56, worked like a dog since age 10-11..and was hoping to find something I could do physically, that paid enough to live on. So after steping out on Faith, God once again blessed me.
Got a job at the highest paying place in my hometown, making more per hour than any other time in my life. BONUS BLESSING: We just got a huge raise this week, in order to try to retain the people we have and bring in new ones. God really came thru again for me. Ive been a new man since moving. My job is difficult, and has been very trying on me to learn it, midway thru a 10 week class at this point. Im 25-35 years older than almost all my co-workers doing the same job. But God strengthens me daily!
I truly can do NOTHING without Gods unearned grace & mercy. I was really at the end of my rope previously, and was having some rather dark thoughts of late. Those are all gone now.
To those of you in a similar place, or worse...please GO TO GOD. He answered in HIS time, and its been wonderful for me. Just pray, keep the faith, and KNOW He is working on your situation.

Awesome things are working out for you!

everready73
10-04-21, 12:09

Double tap

Bluto
10-04-21, 12:11
Don't know if you made the call yet, but here's my experience...

2 years ago I finally sold my half of the company my partner and I founded just over 20 years prior to my partner for a pittance. I just wanted out. I handled the tech part of the company, my partner sales. Over the few years, along with a slowdown of sales, I was somehow always responsible for every "bad" thing that happened while only "good' things came from him. This was obviously tiresome.

Here I was, in my mid 40's, a mortgage and 2 college-bound kids. We did own a couple of rental properties (and have since bought more), but with COVID uncertainty losing a steady paycheck, however small, was certainly a huge risk.

I took the few bucks I made and took a day trading course. I seeded the account with some of our savings. The stress was unbelievable at first, but I finally made it and now I work until 11:00AM max, spend way more quality time with the family and am so much happier than ever before. I'm also making at least more than 4x monthly what I made before.

Funnily enough, when my partner and I were in exit negotiations he laughed and swore that as soon as I was out of the picture everything would be awesome; the company would take off and he would be kicking back collecting checks on his yacht. Since that day my family and I have taken 8 vacations, have a cabin rented for the upcoming holidays in Vail and a month long trip to Switzerland scheduled for the spring. Meanwhile he has done nothing but work 80 hour weeks for breakeven money.

The contrast is stark to say the least. The biggest lesson I have learned, and one that I am working very hard on teaching my kids, is that time is the most precious commodity we have. Even if I were making less money than I am now, I would most certainly be happier.

I am not a genius nor do I come from privilege. If I can do it, anyone can!

chuckman
10-04-21, 13:24
Don't know if you made the call yet, but here's my experience...

2 years ago I finally sold my half of the company my partner and I founded just over 20 years prior to my partner for a pittance. I just wanted out. I handled the tech part of the company, my partner sales. Over the few years, along with a slowdown of sales, I was somehow always responsible for every "bad" thing that happened while only "good' things came from him. This was obviously tiresome.

Here I was, in my mid 40's, a mortgage and 2 college-bound kids. We did own a couple of rental properties (and have since bought more), but with COVID uncertainty losing a steady paycheck, however small, was certainly a huge risk.

I took the few bucks I made and took a day trading course. I seeded the account with some of our savings. The stress was unbelievable at first, but I finally made it and now I work until 11:00AM max, spend way more quality time with the family and am so much happier than ever before. I'm also making at least more than 4x monthly what I made before.

Funnily enough, when my partner and I were in exit negotiations he laughed and swore that as soon as I was out of the picture everything would be awesome; the company would take off and he would be kicking back collecting checks on his yacht. Since that day my family and I have taken 8 vacations, have a cabin rented for the upcoming holidays in Vail and a month long trip to Switzerland scheduled for the spring. Meanwhile he has done nothing but work 80 hour weeks for breakeven money.

The contrast is stark to say the least. The biggest lesson I have learned, and one that I am working very hard on teaching my kids, is that time is the most precious commodity we have. Even if I were making less money than I am now, I would most certainly be happier.

I am not a genius nor do I come from privilege. If I can do it, anyone can!

No one goes to their grave saying "gee, I wish I had worked more."

One of our colleagues on here mentioned going to med school in his 40s. I turned down that opportunity because I wanted time with my family. Nothing wrong with his decision should he pursue that, it just wasn't the road I was supposed to take.

donlapalma
10-04-21, 13:44
The biggest lesson I have learned, and one that I am working very hard on teaching my kids, is that time is the most precious commodity we have.

Since losing my mom to COVID-19 in February, I've been thinking about "time" a whole lot and this part of your post hits home for me right now. I'm getting started later in life in 2 major ways (marriage and kids) and there is just much more to lose now. More than anything, I want to spend time and be present - physically and mentally - with my wife and soon-to-be-born son. Climbing the corporate ladder just doesn't mean that much to me anymore. I know I will find my way, especially since my wife is amazing and will support me whatever I decide.

donlapalma
10-04-21, 13:45

Well congratulations for getting that done and taking that first huge step. I'm sure everything will work out just fine.

Grand58742
10-19-21, 08:33
Well, my last day was Friday and I cleared out my office yesterday. Said my goodbyes to friends I've made over the course of seven years in the form of emails and personal phone calls to those who really had an impact. I really had an overwhelmingly positive response to leaving as most were understanding and wished me well in the future and to "keep in touch." Got my final call (and one that meant the most for me honestly) yesterday and was told "there's always a seat for you here if you come back."

I didn't leave in bridge burning fashion as I did want to keep the avenue open in the future and I didn't hold ill will to anyone really. Apparently, the company does some "independent contracting" for certain events and I already got invited to two of those. Not sure how I feel about a three week gig for Coachella, but it's on the table.

Leaving wasn't as bad as I thought. Now, getting employed is the next logical step.

1986s4
10-19-21, 09:53
Well, my last day was Friday and I cleared out my office yesterday. Said my goodbyes to friends I've made over the course of seven years in the form of emails and personal phone calls to those who really had an impact. I really had an overwhelmingly positive response to leaving as most were understanding and wished me well in the future and to "keep in touch." Got my final call (and one that meant the most for me honestly) yesterday and was told "there's always a seat for you here if you come back."

I didn't leave in bridge burning fashion as I did want to keep the avenue open in the future and I didn't hold ill will to anyone really. Apparently, the company does some "independent contracting" for certain events and I already got invited to two of those. Not sure how I feel about a three week gig for Coachella, but it's on the table.

Leaving wasn't as bad as I thought. Now, getting employed is the next logical step.

Good luck in this new phase of life. I was post 50 when the life I was leading came to a sudden and sad end. I didn't burn any bridges, they were burned for me and to no avail I tried to put out the fires. Things weren't great for a few years but they did turn around and now... Wow! I am so fortunate.
Keep an open mind, stay flexible and you will land on your feet.

AndyLate
11-22-21, 21:48
Good luck in this new phase of life. I was post 50 when the life I was leading came to a sudden and sad end. I didn't burn any bridges, they were burned for me and to no avail I tried to put out the fires. Things weren't great for a few years but they did turn around and now... Wow! I am so fortunate.
Keep an open mind, stay flexible and you will land on your feet.

I am very close to being in the same position, except I will be walking across a 1 way bridge sans fire. I am making more money than I have in my life but really do not enjoy walking in the door any more. A lot of things have changed with my company since I started there, and I am frankly starting to wonder why I fought to stay as long as I have.

Andy

tgizzard
11-23-21, 05:32
Not quite 40 yet, but with all the craziness of the past couple years my wife and I realized life is too short to settle. We close on the sale of our house on the 10th and come this spring we’re out of our current AO down to where we really want to be.

Between how my company is treating its “unvaxxed” employees, to the push up here by the schools to inject our children with that crap, to basically settling in regards to living behind enemy lines for jobs, it ain’t worth it and we’ve finally realized that.

Grand58742
11-23-21, 10:08
Things I'm learning so far in my job hunt...

1. That college degree is a major point in filling out applications. Even with a "useless" degree, it sure helps to have that on your resume.

1A. Qualifications only take you so far without it. I've got qualifications for most of the jobs I've applied for, but without that degree setting me apart, it's not easy to get that foot in the door to impress during an interview.

2. Job site like Indeed and others are making it harder to hire to an extent. Everyone and their dog can send in a resume with no intent of really wanting the job and it clutters the end user. I was told during a phone interview the actual "answer" rate of outbound phone calls to applicants is like 25% or so. But that takes time to hunt down the "good" prospective candidates.

2A. Some employers don't even check or update their ads on those jobs sites... not fun trying to sort the wheat from the chaff.

3. Do your research on the company you're applying for. Yeah, I flubbed one interview up because I didn't look deep enough into the company.

4. You need 28 pounds of patience when waiting for that phone call or email... I'm getting there.

The_War_Wagon
11-23-21, 16:36
As the wise philosopher Sinatra said, "regrets, I have a few, then again, too few to mention..."

I have a friend who was an ED doc at UNC-CH and chair of admissions at their SOM. When I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do, the debate was nursing vs med school. He said based on my MCAT and GPA he could get me into med school easy peasy. I chose nursing (age, kids, couple of other factors). I mostly don't regret it, but sometimes I do. Good luck!

God bless you. Never realized howmuch nurses keep hospitals in business until my stroke. i wantedto marry one each shift. and maybe a coule here at rehab.

Grand58742
01-17-22, 09:11
Well, my search is finally over. I'll be starting soon with an emergency management company out here in OK doing recruiting as soon as my drug screening comes back. Slight pay cut on the top end over what I was making, but they seem to be growing pretty rapidly and I'm on the front end of that expansion so there's a potential for growth in that area.

But most importantly, they seem to be fast paced and make decisions quickly. I literally did an initial interview less than an hour and a half after I dropped my resume, did a follow up interview a few hours later with my new section chief, the ops manager and the CEO and received an offer letter by 4 PM that very same day at the salary I requested. Less than 24 hours from interviewed to hired.

One thing is certain though, I will be completing my degree regardless. I've found out the hard way it really gets you in the door as a minimum in many places. Something I should have rectified in my time in the service when it was free (or close to free) but certainly will be fixed now.

With a lot of people moving around, there are a lot of jobs available. But at the same time, there are a lot of applicants for those same jobs and competition is tough.

SeriousStudent
01-17-22, 09:49
Good luck, dude. I know you will do great!

Thanks for posting your career-seeking advice here. I end up coaching a lot of my minions at work regarding career decisions. I also talk a lot to people outside my own org. Every thing you said pretty much rings true in my own field (Information Security).

Let us know how the new gig works out.

utahjeepr
01-17-22, 10:58
Congrats, and good luck. Hope it works out well for you.

Give it your best, but don't abandon keeping your feelers out. Often the best job opportunities come around when you least expect it. Besides, I've always found that the best tool to finding a job is to have one.

01-17-22, 12:20
Past 40? I hope not. I did at 33. Left a horrible, stressful, nomadic, $200K/year job for a much more satisfying $50-70K/year that allows me a lot more time for important things. Like hanging out with my wife and kids, riding a bicycle, cooking, and sleeping in.

1986s4
01-17-22, 12:43
Well, my search is finally over. I'll be starting soon with an emergency management company out here in OK doing recruiting as soon as my drug screening comes back. Slight pay cut on the top end over what I was making, but they seem to be growing pretty rapidly and I'm on the front end of that expansion so there's a potential for growth in that area.

But most importantly, they seem to be fast paced and make decisions quickly. I literally did an initial interview less than an hour and a half after I dropped my resume, did a follow up interview a few hours later with my new section chief, the ops manager and the CEO and received an offer letter by 4 PM that very same day at the salary I requested. Less than 24 hours from interviewed to hired.

One thing is certain though, I will be completing my degree regardless. I've found out the hard way it really gets you in the door as a minimum in many places. Something I should have rectified in my time in the service when it was free (or close to free) but certainly will be fixed now.

With a lot of people moving around, there are a lot of jobs available. But at the same time, there are a lot of applicants for those same jobs and competition is tough.

Good luck ! Don't even consider failure, instead envision success and victory, tell your own story. Many years ago in my youth, I wanted badly to be on the US Olympic Team. I never got much encouragement save for my parents and very close friends. I had zero concept of failure on this, only moving forward.
1988 United States Olympic Team member.

TBAR_94
01-17-22, 15:05

Congratulations on the new position. Being part of a growing organization is often really fulfilling. I agree 100% with you on the college thing. I work with a lot of military guys who feel their resume is strong enough to make up for lack of a degree. While in a perfect world that should be true, in reality it just isn’t.

Slater
01-17-22, 15:57
I fear change. Guess that's why I've been working in the munitions field for the last 43 years.

fred
01-17-22, 16:18
Glad to hear you got a good gig. At 50+ I'm right there with you in spirit. Retired early due to my agency being turned into a smuggling org, saving cartels/child traffickers money on the back end. Couldn't do it, not again.
God bless!

jwfuhrman
01-18-22, 11:22
I retired from an LEO career after 20 years and went back to school. I attended a coding boot camp and have been in that industry for a few years now. MUCH better job, easier, less stress, and MORE money.

Good luck on your journey, friend.

I've been working in the medical field now for most of my adult life (I'm 37, started when I was 22). Worked EMS full time from 22 until I turned 34, when I met my wife and got married shortly after. I still work EMS part time (more like part time full time hours) and work in a Optometrist's Office as a Office float doing literally every job in here including billing. I've seriously been considering a course in Medical Coding and Billing. So so many work from home jobs in that field. Considering I have a out building on my property that I run my gun business from already, I could just work from home and do everything from there.

I may have to really look into that route now.

kerplode
01-20-22, 13:55

I'm working through this. In fact, my last day was a couple days before your original post.

At 44, with no real backup plan, I walked away from my job as a senior electrical engineer with a major tech company as well as my almost $300k/yr total compensation package and world class benefits. I just couldn't do it anymore. The stress of the daily work environment coupled with the random chaos caused by a thoroughly incompetent management chain and the general pointlessness of the work was literally killing me. I gained like 50lbs while working there, I was constantly exhausted, constantly on edge, had trouble sleeping, was blowing my lid at people with the slightest provocation...It was all bad.

So I just left. Management fell over themselves trying to get me to stay, but I knew they gave no shits about my experience or what the grind they had us all on was doing to out mental and physical health. They weren't going to change or do anything and everyone knew it. Offering me another set of golden handcuffs to stick around was just a way for them to help themselves.

I'd also grown weary of the direction CO was heading, so I fixed that problem at the same time....Packed my shit, sold my house, and moved back to my home town. I said I'd never come back here, but times change. It's simpler, quieter, and cheaper. In general, it's just a more honest life.

For the last several months, we're just living on savings while I decompress. I am thankful that that career gave me the luxury to do this...I know it's not an option for the majority. However, I don't have any intention of returning to engineering. Working on starting a business, but if that falls through, I'll find something. Hell, driving a trash truck or flipping burgers would be better than sitting on pointless Teams calls from 8am until 9pm with a bunch of system architects and VPs who are incapable of making a simple decision without needing a 30 member workstream to talk it to death twice weekly for 6 weeks first.

I didn't read the whole thread, and I'm sure you've already done what you're going to do. So, I will simply wish you the best of luck and happiness. I'm sure you'll be fine, and probably come out the other side a happier and healthier person.

Black_Sheep
01-20-22, 19:45
I changed my career path at 50 when the cumulative wear and tear from wrenching on semis for 30 years got to me. I stayed in the transportation industry and work as an account manager for an independent parts and repair facility. It's worked out well, yesterday was my 13th anniversary with the company.

Have faith in yourself...