PDA

View Full Version : best Pistol mags for battle belt

Pappabear
09-30-21, 16:16
Hey guys, I am going to take a class at Frontsight and need to replace some broken pistol pouches. What is your goto pistol pouches ?

PB

Deadman William
09-30-21, 16:27
has frontsight managed to redeem itself from the cultish multilevel marketing scam it was over a decade ago? i would have guessed that place died in the early aughts.

Pappabear
09-30-21, 17:06
I don't know. I was gifted a free membership from a friend of a friend. So, they didn't get any of my corn.

PB

Ranger86
09-30-21, 17:34
I've had good luck with the HSGI tacos in classes that I've taken. I prefer the open taco design instead of covered pouches.
The only issue I had to be aware of is with extended 20 round mags. If the pistol pouches are too close to buckle, my rifle sling could grab the mag and pull it out. Moving the pouches 1 molle position away from the buckle cleared it up for me. Of course, your setup will vary.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Inkslinger
09-30-21, 17:40
HSGI for me. I find them very versatile. I use one for a multi tool and one for a flashlight.

Pappabear
09-30-21, 17:46
I have some HSGI as well and I do like. In fact a just ordered a triple pouch off amazon knowing I can send back easily if it doesn't work on this belt. Didn't feel like pulling off one belt to try on another.

PB

Allen
09-30-21, 18:21
https://esstac.com/shop-all/magazine-pouches/pistols/

These. Standard are ok with normal mags G19,G17, 226/9, I have some Mecgar hicaps with the slickest surface treatment on the planet and will occasionally bounce out of standard but are fine in extended.

ggammell
09-30-21, 18:31

These. Standard are ok with normal mags G19,G17, 226/9, I have some Mecgar hicaps with the slickest surface treatment on the planet and will occasionally bounce out of standard but are fine in extended.

These all day. All damn day.

Arik
09-30-21, 18:34

These. Standard are ok with normal mags G19,G17, 226/9, I have some Mecgar hicaps with the slickest surface treatment on the planet and will occasionally bounce out of standard but are fine in extended.This is why I use too

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Inkslinger
09-30-21, 18:42
I have some HSGI as well and I do like. In fact a just ordered a triple pouch off amazon knowing I can send back easily if it doesn't work on this belt. Didn't feel like pulling off one belt to try on another.

PB

I switched to their belt mount ones with the velcro. Super easy to remove or relocate.

titsonritz
09-30-21, 19:06
I'm using G-Code Softshell (https://www.tacticalholsters.com/category/scorpion-softshell-series/), no complaints.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-30-21, 23:27
Esstac. Look no further.

m1a_scoutguy
09-30-21, 23:53
Another vote for HSGI, I have them all, singles/doubles & one triple. Work well with my 2011 mags down to my CZ 07 mags and everything in between.

Esq.
10-01-21, 08:45
If you aren't going to use a mag specific pouch like something from Blade Tech etc....then I've had great luck with HSGI Tacos on battle belts..... Because I carry a variety of guns I've taken to using them even on a regular carry belt using a bridge mount. The only thing I don't like about it is that the Tacos have the little strings protruding from them that can be a problem for concealed carry.

Inkslinger
10-01-21, 09:44
If you aren't going to use a mag specific pouch like something from Blade Tech etc....then I've had great luck with HSGI Tacos on battle belts..... Because I carry a variety of guns I've taken to using them even on a regular carry belt using a bridge mount. The only thing I don't like about it is that the Tacos have the little strings protruding from them that can be a problem for concealed carry.

Tuck the strings under themselves up the back of the pouch.

ViniVidivici
10-01-21, 10:35
I use a BFG ten-speed double on my bat-belt. Love 'em. Great retention, fast draw on mags. Very light too.

I use a belt mounted one as well with normal clothes and belt.

Uncas47
10-01-21, 12:52
Esstac and TRex MARS, but could easily use any that have already been recommended.

AndyLate
10-01-21, 18:11
I use a BFG ten-speed double on my bat-belt. Love 'em. Great retention, fast draw on mags. Very light too.

I use a belt mounted one as well with normal clothes and belt.

Im not sure about class suitability, but I agree. They also are well suited to a knife or light. The only downside is re-inserting a mag one handed (which I don't lose sleep over).

Andy

turnburglar
10-01-21, 18:15
I use a blade tech double mag pouch and set the tension.

Mainly use this for gun games. Found I prefer the hard plastic vs a nylon pouch.

Nocaster
10-02-21, 14:30
Esstac kywi

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Pappabear
10-02-21, 16:55
Solid feedback, thanks guys

PB

Pappabear
10-02-21, 17:34
I'm using G-Code Softshell (https://www.tacticalholsters.com/category/scorpion-softshell-series/), no complaints.

My first look at the G-Code gear, but it looks like nice kit. What adapter did you use?

PB

chamber143
10-02-21, 19:36
I also have and would recommend the tacos. They are not perfect but they are very functional. I find them to be super secure, easy to draw but not the easiest to reinsert. Not a deal breaker but I don't really know how I would fix it. I have tried quite a few different pistol pouches and equally hated them all.

chamber143
10-02-21, 19:38
My first look at the G-Code gear, but it looks like nice kit. What adapter did you use?

PB

I have never seen those. I hate to say it but they look like a knockoff or copy of the tacos. I don't want to bash g code because the incog is my absolute favorite holster for ccw.

ViniVidivici
10-05-21, 00:26
Im not sure about class suitability, but I agree. They also are well suited to a knife or light. The only downside is re-inserting a mag one handed (which I don't lose sleep over).

Andy

You mean class suitability, as in providing adequate retention during movement?

I have definitely proven for myself they in fact do....done all kinds of IMTing, running and gunning, all kinds of drills, environments, etc. etc. For Glock mags, at least, they're 100%. Never had one come out yet.

If you mean administratively, yes, when doing various static drills, reinserting is not as fast and easy as with some...I can say that with repetitive practice, it gets easier.

I have a habit of using an index finger along the mag to open the pouch up as I reinsert. Works well enough.

Defaultmp3
10-05-21, 00:54
I don't know. I was gifted a free membership from a friend of a friend. So, they didn't get any of my corn.

PB Yes, but you would still be wasting time, ammo, and gas.

As for pouches, I also use KYWIs for dedicated pistol pouches. I have also used the First-Spear MultiMags with pistol inserts to supplement my KYWI when running a dedicated pistol setup for gaming (as the MultiMags typically carry rifle mags).

titsonritz
10-05-21, 02:10

PB

I'm using one of their belts so I'm using their R-2 and P-2 Operator Belt Mounts.

AndyLate
10-05-21, 07:44
You mean class suitability, as in providing adequate retention during movement?

I have definitely proven for myself they in fact do....done all kinds of IMTing, running and gunning, all kinds of drills, environments, etc. etc. For Glock mags, at least, they're 100%. Never had one come out yet.

If you mean administratively, yes, when doing various static drills, reinserting is not as fast and easy as with some...I can say that with repetitive practice, it gets easier.

I have a habit of using an index finger along the mag to open the pouch up as I reinsert. Works well enough.

It may have been clearer to say that I cannot speak to using them in class (I literally "don't know").

Andy

MegademiC
10-05-21, 07:45
Im a huge fan of the ready tactical mag pouches.

AndyLate
10-08-21, 18:49
The low buck solution is an Uncle Mikes kydex carrier https://unclemikes.com/kydex-mag-cases/

I used the belt-mount double glock mag carriers for years shooting ISPC (slowly) without issue. They are a bit bulky and much noisier than soft pouches, also cheap and handy to keep around as loaners.

It sounds like you ordered some HSGI tacos. I know I like the rifle tacos I have.

Andy