PDA

View Full Version : How to Bring a Hi-Lux home.

Averageman
10-05-21, 10:56
https://redstate.com/jenvanlaar/2021/10/03/exclusive-maj-gen-ordered-50-evacuees-off-one-of-last-flights-out-of-kabul-to-make-room-for-taliban-souvenir-n451105
Unfortunately, everything isn’t quite as it may seem. During the last hours of the evacuation, according to troops under his command and as documented by photographs and witness statements, Donahue ordered all of the passengers aboard a C-17 transport plane to disembark so he could have a souvenir loaded onto the plane. That souvenir, or “war trophy,” was an inoperable Taliban-owned Toyota Hilux with a fully operational Russian ZU-23 anti-aircraft autocannon mounted in the bed. Once the Hilux was loaded passengers were allowed back on the plane, but, of course, there wasn’t room for all of them. According to troops on the scene, at least 50 people and perhaps as many as 100 people were left at Kabul to make room for the Hilux.

Holy Smokes.

gaijin
10-05-21, 11:09
These scum; Milley and crew, should be in Guantanamo now.

Averageman
10-05-21, 11:32
These scum; Milley and crew, should be in Guantanamo now.

Everyone from the Secretary of Defense, Milley and everyone involved in the entire Afghan fiasco needs to be fired. That this guy would push people off of the last chance for freedom Flight in order to bring a broke assed Hi-Lux home is a prime example of everything wrong with our Military.
But..
We're in "Crazy World" where "Essential Hospital Workers" go 18 months without a vaccine are being fired for not being vaccinated.

chuckman
10-05-21, 11:48
I had a heated debate with a guy after I read an article about this in The American Thinker. He thinks Donohue walks on water, "best fighting general of our era," etc. He thinks these are 'baseless claims.'

As for the Hilux, put me down for two.

Todd.K
10-05-21, 13:31
Just when you thought the Afghanistan retreat couldn’t possibly have been any more disgraceful…

Business_Casual
10-05-21, 13:53
Has it occurred to anyone that we left the gear behind as part of the negotiations with the Taliban?

docsherm
10-05-21, 13:55
I can save you a trip.......

There is a Toyota Dealer in Innova Reynosa, Mexico. It is just over the border from McAllen, TX. They have them in stock there.

https://toyota-innova.mx/

Here is the Hilux page:
https://toyota-innova.mx/hilux/?fuente=organico

CRAMBONE
10-05-21, 14:10
I can save you a trip.......

There is a Toyota Dealer in Innova Reynosa, Mexico. It is just over the border from McAllen, TX. They have them in stock there.

https://toyota-innova.mx/

Here is the Hilux page:
https://toyota-innova.mx/hilux/?fuente=organico

Yeah but it has to be 25 years or older to be able to be registered for road use right? I’ve looked into this a bit back when I wanted to import a Defender 110. The Brits had surplussed a lot of them a few years ago and they were cheap as crap.

Adrenaline_6
10-05-21, 14:14
Unfortunately, it is against the law to import any car into the US under 25 years old. Thank Mercedes USA for that dipsh*t law. There are rare exceptions for one offs and the like.

If they find out, they will seize it and watch you cry as they crush it.

Gabriel556
10-05-21, 14:47
Not quite true, vehicles are imported from other countries like Canada all the time. The trick is knowing the state and federal regulations regarding this. All that being said from my brief research a Hilux will not likely be able to be imported on a permanent basis.

Esq.
10-05-21, 14:54
I know a guy that has imported over a dozen old Range Rovers from Australia, right hand drive, 70's era trucks. They have to be more than 25 years old. Whenever Hi Luxs reach that "age" they too will be importable.

CRAMBONE
10-05-21, 14:57
I know a guy that has imported over a dozen old Range Rovers from Australia, right hand drive, 70's era trucks. They have to be more than 25 years old. Whenever Hi Luxs reach that "age" they too will be importable.

It’s just finding a 25 year old Hi-Lux that isn’t beat to hell and is left hand drive.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-05-21, 15:09
So literally millions of people can come across the southern border and screw up our country, but a truck- that’s going too far…

You can drive your car from America into Mexico, so I assume you can drive a Mexican car to the United States. If you register the truck in Mexico, and have some kind of realestate there? Buy a plot of land for a couple hundred bucks that has a mailbox on it? Of course driving around with Mexican license plates sounds like a great way to get pulled over constantly. It must not be legal, because I’ve never seen a Mexican played car here in the US. Are civilian owned cars for Mexico only allowed within a certain distance of the border? Are they allowed in the US for only a certain amount of time? Someone from the border states here hast to know the answer to that.

Adrenaline_6
10-05-21, 15:29
So literally millions of people can come across the southern border and screw up our country, but a truck- that’s going too far…

You can drive your car from America into Mexico, so I assume you can drive a Mexican car to the United States. If you register the truck in Mexico, and have some kind of realestate there? Buy a plot of land for a couple hundred bucks that has a mailbox on it? Of course driving around with Mexican license plates sounds like a great way to get pulled over constantly. It must not be legal, because I’ve never seen a Mexican played car here in the US. Are civilian owned cars for Mexico only allowed within a certain distance of the border? Are they allowed in the US for only a certain amount of time? Someone from the border states here hast to know the answer to that.

Not 100% positive, but I think you can get a 1 year traveling permit (364 day)

jsbhike
10-05-21, 16:20
I kinda took the moral of the story to be akin to a 1st class passenger on board a sinking ship loading their luggage in to a lifeboat and causing the drowning of x number of lower class passengers.

DirectTo
10-05-21, 16:31
It must not be legal, because I’ve never seen a Mexican played car here in the US. Are civilian owned cars for Mexico only allowed within a certain distance of the border? Are they allowed in the US for only a certain amount of time? Someone from the border states here hast to know the answer to that.
Nah, tons of folks cross - legally - every day in both directions for work and play. In and around San Diego and further north I’d see Baja plates all the time and vice versa when in the Baja. Used to fly a guy who had an armored Toyota he used on both sides of the border.

You’ll also occasionally see commercial trucks with both sets of plates near the border. No idea how that works but I assume authorities on both sides don’t care as long as the revenue flows.

ETA: dude in the story is a piece of shit which is exactly 0% surprising these days.

Renegade
10-05-21, 17:18
It must not be legal, because I’ve never seen a Mexican played car here in the US.

Go to El Paso or any city with a Border Checkpoint, you will see plenty of Mexico and other CA/SA vehicles. Every once in a while I see one up here in DFW.

Todd.K
10-05-21, 20:27
I kinda took the moral of the story to be akin to a 1st class passenger on board a sinking ship loading their luggage in to a lifeboat and causing the drowning of x number of lower class passengers.

Did you get to the part where we also failed to blow some high tech missile defense system yet?

jsbhike
10-05-21, 20:33
Did you get to the part where we also failed to blow some high tech missile defense system yet?

I'm halfway expecting something atomic got flew over the last of July and was left.

ViniVidivici
10-06-21, 00:37
So what's the deal, is the story about Donahue true, or fake?

Averageman
10-06-21, 06:31
So what's the deal, is the story about Donahue true, or fake?

A quick Google supports it.

Co-gnARR
10-06-21, 06:49

Plenty of Mexican tagged vehicles in New Mexico. Non-citizens can get a license to drive, too, but it has a clever name like operator permit.

The_War_Wagon
10-06-21, 10:22
Didn't several O-6's and an O-8 get canned after Grenada, for bringing back an (singular) AK-47? :mad:

ViniVidivici
10-06-21, 13:38
A quick Google supports it.

Yes, it turns out it IS true, but was always part of the load plan, was on the last flight out, is all legit, is eventually going into some kind of museum, and humans were never "pushed off" to accommodate it.

Looks like the article is some attempt to smear the man.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-06-21, 13:45
I was believing that until you use the word plan. That proves that it’s bullshit, because as we know there was no freaking plan. Even worse if they had a plan to get a technical out, and he didn’t have a plan to get all the people out, isn’t that an indictment and in and of itself?

ViniVidivici
10-06-21, 13:56
I mean load plan for that flight itself, paperwork started, etc.

I don't mean the utter cluster**** the full-of-fail oligarchy perpetrated in those last days.

Point is that it was a known thing that was being done, and no "huddled masses yearning to break free" were pushed aside for it.

Adrenaline_6
10-06-21, 15:14
I mean load plan for that flight itself, paperwork started, etc.

I don't mean the utter cluster**** the full-of-fail oligarchy perpetrated in those last days.

Point is that it was a known thing that was being done, and no "huddled masses yearning to break free" were pushed aside for it.

Doesn't it say they removed people from the flight to make room for it?

One military intelligence source, who requested anonymity, told RedState:

“Some of those on the last planes out were key HUMINT assets. At least 50, likely as many as 100 were left behind after being removed from the flight. But the 50 were bonafide personnel that should have been evacuated. They will likely never be heard from again. The Taliban was given literally everything that would prevent any of those people from hiding or escape and evasion, and we know that there are a lot of ‘disappearings’ going on.”

Diamondback
10-06-21, 15:35
One other thing to consider: Van Laar is facing a Reader Revolt and declining pageviews (thus revenue) so she needs to do something to stir the pot and get clicks so she looks good to her bosses and they don't can her like they did Caleb Howe after he went Insane Nevertard.

Averageman
10-06-21, 17:34
Yes, it turns out it IS true, but was always part of the load plan, was on the last flight out, is all legit, is eventually going into some kind of museum, and humans were never "pushed off" to accommodate it.

Looks like the article is some attempt to smear the man.

If you cant fit your Bowling trophy, the Wife, Grandma and the kids all in the truck to drive home, do you leave Mom behind?
No, you leave the trophy and get everyone home.

ViniVidivici
10-06-21, 19:04
No, this was not something where folks were left behind to accommodate the truck. It went out on the very last flight.

The article is incorrect on some points, and is overflowing the whole thing, whether, as Diamondback says, to bolster sensationalism/clicks for the author, or being put out to smear Donahue, hard to say.

Kind of a bullshitt piece though.

Diamondback
10-06-21, 20:48
The article is incorrect on some points, and is overflowing the whole thing, whether, as Diamondback says, to bolster sensationalism/clicks for the author, or being put out to smear Donahue, hard to say.
Nothin' says it can't be both... and JVL loves nothing more than taking scalps, she made her name on Katie Hill and now that she's tarnished both her own and RedState's brand running off the longtimers it's a safe bet the pressure's on to do something big and it doesn't matter who gets the hit.

Watrdawg
10-07-21, 06:19
Here's a link to a completely different version of the story. Looks like the Red State version may be just a bit off.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-paratroopers-toyota-technical-kabul-airport/

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-07-21, 08:03
So, what would it take to have Mexican, or Canadian plates? Those make the most sense, it I guess any country could work. You could drive those most easily over. I assume actually importing through a shipping channel would cause issues.

Diamondback
10-07-21, 08:08
Here's a link to a completely different version of the story. Looks like the Red State version may be just a bit off.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/army-paratroopers-toyota-technical-kabul-airport/

T&P sometimes has its own slant, too.

AndyLate
10-07-21, 08:25

We imported billions of dollars in military equipment into Afghanistan and our soldiers have to trade Copenhagen for a raggety truck with a machine gun ONE guy knows how to operate?

It should go on display with a sign explaining that it represents the Depatment of Defense's utter failure.

Andy

Sam
10-07-21, 08:46
I have to agree with Mr. Late plus that article was full of "feel good" story, too good. Don't tell me there was ZERO special forces troops there at HKIA. I've watched the movie Green Beret with John Wayne at 10 or 100 times and I saw they were fluent in enemy's weapons. They couldn't find a lone SF guy to teach them to run that Russian machine gun system?

On the other hand, I didn't fully believe they kicked 50 - 100 people off to make room/weight for the truck. Beside, what about the stories of planes leaving half full? Surely those people could have been transferred to other transports.

Watrdawg
10-07-21, 10:52
The true circumstances are probably somewhere in between. Always two sides to a story.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-07-21, 16:53
We imported billions of dollars in military equipment into Afghanistan and our soldiers have to trade Copenhagen for a raggety truck with a machine gun ONE guy knows how to operate?

It should go on display with a sign explaining that it represents the Depatment of Defense's utter failure.

Andy

We should have that technical and next to it pictures of all the gear we left them. WHAT A TRADE!!!! Just like all those WWI German battleships we brought home…