PDA

View Full Version : NGSW electric component

JediGuy
10-06-21, 19:54
The coolest part about this, to me, is the electric setup along the rail. I’ve literally been thinking about ways (not an engineer, have engineer friends) to integrate something like that into an AR.

https://youtu.be/pYqEJsMLg_g

Diamondback
10-07-21, 03:00
The coolest part about this, to me, is the electric setup along the rail. I’ve literally been thinking about ways (not an engineer, have engineer friends) to integrate something like that into an AR.

https://youtu.be/pYqEJsMLg_g

They've been talking about "powered Picatinny" at least since I was in college 20 years ago. Main challenge is you need to electrically isolate the power feeds from the rifle and rail... and you have to make sure Private Numbnutz doesn't install the laser backward and fry its diodes, unless every "Hot Pic" device has a bridge-rectifier between its power connections and the rest of the circuitry.

Aries144
10-07-21, 11:02
They've been talking about "powered Picatinny" at least since I was in college 20 years ago. Main challenge is you need to electrically isolate the power feeds from the rifle and rail... and you have to make sure Private Numbnutz doesn't install the laser backward and fry its diodes, unless every "Hot Pic" device has a bridge-rectifier between its power connections and the rest of the circuitry.

The whole "hot rail" thing seems like the most incremental of incremental improvements. I'm just not seeing the big benefit, but I am seeing a lot of added complexity to the weapon.

What are we really gaining? A little mass from battery compartments? Relocating mass to rearward, weapon mounted location? No need for CR123s, AA, and AAA?

Wouldn't the main benefit really be a monetary one to a manufacturer because now they have a proprietary accessory ecosystem to sell to the government?

I don't see the big benefit to an end user. Spend dev time on something with a bigger cost/benefit for the end user.

Diamondback
10-07-21, 11:13
The only way I see this becoming worthwhile is if it's developed by DARPA or someplace like Crane or Picatinny so it becomes "open source." IIRC, the concepts of 20 years ago used battery packs as mounted devices in the system.

More practical would be to develop a "Weapon Area Network" like a more secure, limited-range version of Bluetooth so you can directly integrate additional data sources directly to your holo or scope like laser rangefinders or Kestrels. Even that... well, most high-end/mil-grade long range scopes now have built in bullet-drop compensators and rangefinders with the "inverted Christmas tree" reticle...

Business_Casual
10-07-21, 12:39
Bring the gun to your eye, not your eye to the gun…

Slater
10-07-21, 14:20
Presumably it's designed to withstand immersion in water?

Diamondback
10-07-21, 16:11
Presumably it's designed to withstand immersion in water?

WaitWHUT? You expect it to actually function under adverse conditions in the field? *ROFLMAO*

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-07-21, 16:36
Central power, or power augmented by a generator powered by movement would be interesting.

Of course, shaking your rifle like a horse cock shake weight to get your red dot back…

JediGuy
10-08-21, 22:01
Central power, or power augmented by a generator powered by movement would be interesting.

Of course, shaking your rifle like a horse cock shake weight to get your red dot back…

Or this, though it would require actually shooting unless combined with a battery pack. Maybe the heat or “shake weight” could recharge the batter.

https://phys.org/news/2019-11-material-world-electricity.html