PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight 16" barrel recommendations?

ike838
10-09-21, 09:46
I'm gathering parts for a lighter weight walk about upper and would to hear about users with various lightweight barrels they have used.
Right now I'm hemming and hawing over a Faxon match gunner, Wilson Combat Ranger or fluted Paul Howe barrel and an Odin works. Hoping
to keep under 24 oz or so . Are there any others I should consider? Thanks for your help.

Dukr
10-09-21, 09:54
I did one with a Ballistic Advantage barrel and an Aero Precision upper without Forward Assist.

Sent using Tapatalk

ike838
10-09-21, 10:02
I did one with a Ballistic Advantage barrel and an Aero Precision upper without Forward Assist.

Sent using Tapatalk

Hanson profile? Do you like it?

Dukr
10-09-21, 10:08
Hanson profile? Do you like it?Yeah, I liked it, I sold it, don't know why. I looked up the specs; says 22oz. Hanson profile, Performance Series, .625 gas block. With the Aero Precision upper and a Midwest Industries Combat Rail, it was a very nice handling gun.

Sent using Tapatalk

AndyLate
10-09-21, 10:43
I would suggest a 16" .625 Hanson barrel. Includes pinned gas block and I like the constant taper barrel profile. I would certainly recommend a Black River Tactical Light Optimum barrel, but I think they are currently out of stock https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?189677-BRT-16-quot-OPTIMUM-Barrel-w-Extended-Length-Gas-System

Andy

Milspec78
10-09-21, 11:05
I used a faxon 14.5” and did a pin and weld.very light weight and VERY ACCURATE.not sure why you don’t hear of more people using them?

556Cliff
10-09-21, 13:35
Since Colt 6720 barrels aren't being made anymore I'd consider the light weight offering from Daniel Defense.

turnburglar
10-09-21, 14:27
I had a faxon 14.5 match gunner.

It wouldn't shoot heavy bullets well at all; but was a laser with 50gr v max. It almost always shot 55gr ball well so I consider that a plus. I did a test were I shot a 3 rnd group to verify POI/POA, then dumped a full mag into the berm, and then shot another 3rnd group and the POA/POI was exactly the same. It seems that modern barrel manufactures dont have the same issues with LW barrel wondering when hot. The reason I ended up replacing the barrel with a 32 oz tube from BRT was because the LW barrel wasn't cooling down fast enough for me. Ironically the BRT medium tube still warms up and I have gone to using a barrel fan.

Bullz
10-09-21, 15:37
I also did a lightweight Hanson profile from BA that is mated to a BCM4 upper with BCM BCG and a KMR 13. It was built for light competitive use but I ended up going a different direction and now it's kind of my loaner when I take people shooting. It has been tested for precision a few times and it lives up to the MOA guarantee they offer with quality ammo but it does seem to open up a bit once it gets too hot to touch (which happens pretty quickly). I can't remember the gas port size but it's a soft shooter with a standard H buffer. I find it balances really well, drives hard, and has been totally reliable. It seems to perform as well as my 6720 in terms of recreational shooting - I have not used this one in any classes or anything "hard use" besides a few mag dumps.

The thing I like about the Hanson barrels is that they come with a pined gas block which is important to me.

Stickman
10-09-21, 16:36
BCM has some nice fluted LW barrels as well.

titsonritz
10-09-21, 17:43
I don't have BA Hanson barrel but I do like that style of profile and if ever got a barrel from Aero/BA it would be a Hanson. I do have a couple of SIONICS LW barrels and a BCM ELW (mine is 14.5 though) that I like a lot. I would also recommend a Criterion CORE. All my barrels except my 18 SPR are chrome lined.

ike838
10-09-21, 18:45
BCM has some nice fluted LW barrels as well.

I will take another look at both the BA the BCM barrels suggested. Whatever I end up with it will be going in a "blem" BCM stripped upper I picked up a couple of months ago.

Renegade04
10-09-21, 19:11
Check out the LaRue Tactical PredatAR barrel. Not sure what they weigh, but they are sweet barrels.

https://www.larue.com/products/5-56-predatar-barrel-k/

ABNAK
10-09-21, 20:19
I have a few BCM ELW barrels. Only one is a 16", the other two are 14.5" P/W. IMHO the weight is distributed very well (i.e. it's not nose-heavy) by putting the thicker part back in front of the chamber and tapering from there.

If you find a barrel that you like you can either leave the gas block set-screwed or get it pinned. My recommendation would be to get it pinned, but to each his own. Two of the three ELW barrels I have are pinned, one by ADCO and one by John Thomas (highly regarded for good reason). The third is the BCM factory set-screw/red Loctite combo. Haven't had a problem yet. Either choice is good if done properly, but I lean towards "overkill" and like 'em pinned.

Disciple
10-09-21, 20:33
I used a faxon 14.5” and did a pin and weld.very light weight and VERY ACCURATE.not sure why you don’t hear of more people using them?

Quality control issues.

jsbhike
10-09-21, 20:33
I have a few BCM ELW barrels. Only one is a 16", the other two are 14.5" P/W. IMHO the weight is distributed very well (i.e. it's not nose-heavy) by putting the thicker part back in front of the chamber and tapering from there.

If you find a barrel that you like you can either leave the gas block set-screwed or get it pinned. My recommendation would be to get it pinned, but to each his own. Two of the three ELW barrels I have are pinned, one by ADCO and one by John Thomas (highly regarded for good reason). The third is the BCM factory set-screw/red Loctite combo. Haven't had a problem yet. Either choice is good if done properly, but I lean towards "overkill" and like 'em pinned.

I never had a malfunction from red thread locked set screws, but went ahead and staked them with an automatic center punch since the barrel likely can get hot enough to melt the locker. Still not as bomb proof as pins, but thinking it would take noticeable damage to knock it out of alignment with the staked screws.

GH41
10-09-21, 21:08
BCM ELW.

ST911
10-10-21, 08:56
The Wilson Ranger and Paul Howe variants are excellent, and in stock. GTG 5.56 chambers, expect MOA-ish accuracy. Intermediate gas, so if you're into aftermarket springs and buffers you may need to tweak.

LT PredatAR is GTG.

The BCM ELW is GTG as well, seen some that are very accurate.

Stickman
10-10-21, 10:06
I never had a malfunction from red thread locked set screws, but went ahead and staked them with an automatic center punch since the barrel likely can get hot enough to melt the locker. Still not as bomb proof as pins, but thinking it would take noticeable damage to knock it out of alignment with the staked screws.

Good man, I stake mine as well. I think you and I might be some of the only ones.

opngrnd
10-10-21, 10:23
Good man, I stake mine as well. I think you and I might be some of the only ones.

1168 turned me onto staking them. It was a "Why didn't I think of that?" moment.

C-grunt
10-10-21, 11:19
I've had really good luck with my BCM hammer forged ELW barrel. I don't think I've ever shot it for groups with a magnified optic and match ammo, however it will do 2-2.5 MOA with 55 grain ball and a red dot.

A friend has a DD light weight barrel that shoots fantastic. If I were looking for a new LW barrel the DD would be on the short list.

ike838
10-10-21, 11:23
Even though I love the 18" Faxon Gunner I put together a few years ago I am scratching them from the list this time.
Further research found some recent quality control and customer service complaints on another forum.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Wilson Combat Ranger or the Odin Works Ultra. They both use 1/8 twist.
The Odin Works is cheaper, 1.2 oz lighter, comes with a adjustable gas block and uses standard mid length gas tubes.Not 13.25" intermediate length like the Wison.
All that being said I still wonder if the Wilson barrel would be of higher quality.
Has anybody tried the Odin barrel?
Is the BCM ELW worth the $100 premium? I have the feeling that any of the above barrels will exceed my skill level.

Leonidas24
10-10-21, 19:49
Even though I love the 18" Faxon Gunner I put together a few years ago I am scratching them from the list this time.
Further research found some recent quality control and customer service complaints on another forum.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Wilson Combat Ranger or the Odin Works Ultra. They both use 1/8 twist.
The Odin Works is cheaper, 1.2 oz lighter, comes with a adjustable gas block and uses standard mid length gas tubes.Not 13.25" intermediate length like the Wison.
All that being said I still wonder if the Wilson barrel would be of higher quality.
Has anybody tried the Odin barrel?
Is the BCM ELW worth the $100 premium? I have the feeling that any of the above barrels will exceed my skill level.

The Odin is listed at $305, holy french toast. Take a look at the Ballistic Advantage Hanson 16" .625 profile. It's 22 oz (like the Odin) would be far more durable than the Odin, and is $195 with the BA sale going on (spend 200, get 40 off.) I have shot BA barrels in the past and they were very nice. Mine never shot better than 1 MOA with good ammo, but it never shot much worse either.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-5-56-ba-hanson-midlength-ar-15-barrel-w-lo-pro-performance-series-625-gas-block-journal.html

ABNAK
10-10-21, 20:18
The Odin is listed at $305, holy french toast. Take a look at the Ballistic Advantage Hanson 16" .625 profile. It's 22 oz (like the Odin) would be far more durable than the Odin, and is $195 with the BA sale going on (spend 200, get 40 off.) I have shot BA barrels in the past and they were very nice. Mine never shot better than 1 MOA with good ammo, but it never shot much worse either.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/16-5-56-ba-hanson-midlength-ar-15-barrel-w-lo-pro-performance-series-625-gas-block-journal.html

LOL

About 18 months ago or so I bought a Hodge Defense 14.5" barrel and paid $425. :suicide: Of course that was pre-craziness and I've looked recently and if anyone has them in stock they are close to the same price. I don't have many rounds through mine but there haven't been any problems. Did I overpay for a barrel I didn't really need? Meh.....maybe, but I don't regret it.

georgeib
10-10-21, 20:35
Good man, I stake mine as well. I think you and I might be some of the only ones.You guys aren't alone. Been center punch staking mine for years. Seemed like a good idea.

Leonidas24
10-10-21, 21:16
LOL

About 18 months ago or so I bought a Hodge Defense 14.5" barrel and paid $425. :suicide: Of course that was pre-craziness and I've looked recently and if anyone has them in stock they are close to the same price. I don't have many rounds through mine but there haven't been any problems. Did I overpay for a barrel I didn't really need? Meh.....maybe, but I don't regret it.

At least with Hodge you're getting a known quality piece of barrel steel. The Odin is enigmatic at best; there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there on it regarding gas port size, accuracy reports, etc. I was able to find it for $240 but even then I'm still leery of it, especially when BA has a pretty good track record and a much smarter external profile.

titsonritz
10-10-21, 21:53
At least with Hodge you're getting a known quality piece of barrel steel. The Odin is enigmatic at best; there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there on it regarding gas port size, accuracy reports, etc. I was able to find it for $240 but even then I'm still leery of it, especially when BA has a pretty good track record and a much smarter external profile.

Yeah, I'd rule that Odin out pretty fast, for reasons mentioned plus not sure why you'd want a SS barrel in the profile.

1986s4
10-11-21, 08:39
I had a 16" Colt pencil barrel that I sent to Adco to cut, P&W and and a shoulder added to the muzzle end for the muzzle device to butt up against. I had some initial zeroing issues that I ironed out, mostly operator error. Adco did a great job assembling as well and the rear DDa1 sight is exactly in the middle of the housing now that it is zeroed. This pleases me immensely. If I didn't already have the Colt I would have gone with DD, BCM or Centurion.

ST911
10-11-21, 08:45
Pay what it costs for what you want. Barrel attributes and origins are much more important than price tag. Most of what we're talking about is in a window of +/- $75, less than the value of the ammo expended in a practice session.

MistWolf
10-11-21, 14:05
...Intermediate gas, so if you're into aftermarket springs and buffers you may need to tweak...

Not at all. Intermediate gas systems work just fine with H/H2/A5H2/Rifle buffers.

MistWolf
10-11-21, 14:14
...The Odin Works is cheaper...

I bought a SS 10.5" Odin Works barrel some years ago- about the time the original Arm Brace came out. Gs port was huge and the gas port located in the wrong spot- enough that I had to file down a gas block to make it work.

It's the only Odin barrel I have experience with and maybe they've changed, but I have no desire to find out.

These days I look at BRT barrels first because I trust them to be what they're claimed to be and BRT knows gas ports.

georgeib
10-11-21, 16:42
I bought a SS 10.5" Odin Works barrel some years ago- about the time the original Arm Brace came out. Gs port was huge and the gas port located in the wrong spot- enough that I had to file down a gas block to make it work.

It's the only Odin barrel I have experience with and maybe they've changed, but I have no desire to find out.

These days I look at BRT barrels first because I trust them to be what they're claimed to be and BRT knows gas ports.

Any idea why BRT doesn't publish their gas port sizes?

ST911
10-11-21, 17:02
Not at all. Intermediate gas systems work just fine with H/H2/A5H2/Rifle buffers.

My experience with certain ammo, buffer, and spring combinations is different but okay.

georgeib
10-11-21, 17:23
My experience with certain ammo, buffer, and spring combinations is different but okay.

I imagine gas port size has some bearing.

MistWolf
10-11-21, 18:50

I agree that changing ammo power levels changes everything. But my experience with full power 5.56/223 ammo is stick an H2/A5H2/Rifle buffer (with appropriate RE & spring, of course) in it and you're there. I stick to full power ammo because it makes my life simpler.

Any idea why BRT doesn't publish their gas port sizes?

You'll have to ask Clint. I haven't really paid close attention to if Clint shares port sizes, but he'll answer your question honestly.

ike838
10-11-21, 19:10
Pay what it costs for what you want. Barrel attributes and origins are much more important than price tag. Most of what we're talking about is in a window of +/- $75, less than the value of the ammo expended in a practice session.

This seems like good advice. I will just pony up a few more dollars an get the BCM.
Brownell's has the ELW with BCM gas block and tube for $350.
My google fu may be weak but I'm not finding much in stock. Anyone know where else to check?

titsonritz
10-11-21, 19:15
Brownell's has the ELW with BCM gas block and tube for $350.

Is for the standard or BFH? BFH I would hope for $350.

ike838
10-11-21, 19:25
It was the standard. I just ordered the BFH direct from BCM for $324. Came to $360 shipped.
Figured it's really not that much money in the grand scheme of things.

ST911
10-11-21, 20:00
I imagine gas port size has some bearing.

True.

I agree that changing ammo power levels changes everything. But my experience with full power 5.56/223 ammo is stick an H2/A5H2/Rifle buffer (with appropriate RE & spring, of course) in it and you're there. I stick to full power ammo because it makes my life simpler.

Agreed. The issue trends but is not exclusive to lighter impulse/lower pressure rounds and heavier buffers. As above, port dims matter too. Gas systems need balance.

crusader377
10-11-21, 20:39
I have a Daniel Defense 14.5 Pencil Barrel and it is very accurate and of great quality and I would imagine that their 16" barrels are very good as well.

Beat Trash
10-12-21, 17:36
I have three guns with 16” DD light weight barrels. All three are more accurate that I would have expected. Basically hovering around 1 MOA with appropriate ammunition and optics.