PDA

View Full Version : More M4's & M16's for Iraq

Slater
12-12-08, 13:39
http://www.dsca.mil/PressReleases/36-b/2009/09-10.pdf

Ought to be a nice piece of business for Colt and FN.

JBnTX
12-12-08, 14:07
Now, if only FN would sell US civilians AR-15s.

sinister
12-12-08, 14:10
My Iraqis received 1200 Rock River 14.5-inch select-fire M4geries (NOT Colt, no little horsey on the side).

Dave L.
12-12-08, 14:16
My Iraqis received 1200 Rock River 14.5-inch select-fire M4geries (NOT Colt, no little horsey on the side).

Were they DEA reject guns?

ThirdWatcher
12-12-08, 15:24
Now, if only FN would sell US civilians AR-15s.

I've been hoping FN would do this for quite awhile, now.:)

sinister
12-12-08, 15:26
Nope. Had to meet USG Foreign Military Sales contract specs.

Don Robison
12-12-08, 17:04
Nope. Had to meet USG Foreign Military Sales contract specs.

Which can be incredibly good or incredibly horrible depending on who wrote the FMS case. I've run into issues in the past where the FMS case was written too generic and we got crap because basically crap was what was spec'd.

TxGun
12-12-08, 22:04
I've been hoping FN would do this for quite awhile, now.:)

I believe FN is restricted from civilain sales by contract. As I recall, Colt insisted this be the case before they would allow FN access to certain engineering specs which Colt controls, the DOD agreed, and FN ultimately agreed. Before anyone goes crazy over what I've said here: 1) I'm not sure I recall this correctly 2) I'm sure there is a more 'technically accurate' way to describe what Colt may have withheld from FN, and 3) there may be a time limitation on the 'arrangement', if there even is one.

EBRFAN
12-13-08, 06:46
Good for Colt,but bad for us?Could divert or delay 6920 production for awhile.

variablebinary
12-13-08, 07:13
So this war is not ending anytime soon I take it?

EBRFAN
12-13-08, 07:40
The arms are for the Iraqis so they can defend themselves instead of us.They won't or will sell them so yea we will be there for awhile.I see it as a Korean presence but in Southwest Asia.We will be there until Iran is taken care of.

JHC
12-16-08, 13:43
Posters on the milblog Blackfive have speculated as to the future implications/possibilities of a pretty well trained Arab army with combat experience and equipped with US small arms, US mech and US armor - - - that is an ally of ours . Hmmmmm . . . may come in VERY handy some day.

larry0071
12-16-08, 13:56
Or they may be used as a weapon against us... a nemesis. Provided with US training, weapons, technology and armor, these one time friends may some day day become or biggest adversary. It could happen.

RB1968
12-16-08, 14:00
I am betting when we do leave Iraq they will be selling the M4/M16s for years there.

Saginaw79
12-16-08, 14:52
I believe FN is restricted from civilain sales by contract. As I recall, Colt insisted this be the case before they would allow FN access to certain engineering specs which Colt controls, the DOD agreed, and FN ultimately agreed. Before anyone goes crazy over what I've said here: 1) I'm not sure I recall this correctly 2) I'm sure there is a more 'technically accurate' way to describe what Colt may have withheld from FN, and 3) there may be a time limitation on the 'arrangement', if there even is one.

Colt isnt particularly 'civilian friendly' anyway, or havnt been in the past concerning EBRs so i can see that, seems to be a requirement for many contracts though also

Plus they dont want quality on the Colt level being sold for reasonable prices, theyd lose out if FN did that and want to protect their market and followers

SUpposedly though FN was supposed to start selling ARs to us sometime soon