PDA

View Full Version : When looking for advise online...

G27gear
12-12-08, 13:41
I've noticed a lot of people base their preference against certian brands/models based on what they hear, and not what have actually experianced. Those that speak highly of a particular item, normally have that particular item in hand and praise its existance based on the fact that it is what they own. This goes for everything from cars and shoes, to guns and tampons (I assume).
Therefore if you look online, you see plenty of negative posts about pretty much everything that doesn't run 100% without flaw or defect. Even then someone will post about how damn expensive it is. However, few people start a post praising how well their product runs.
No one buys an air conditioner and posts on how well it has been working over the last year. But, they will post their rear-ends off when there is a problem. Our community is a little different because we like to talk about our gear and what not. But, I venture to say that a great deal of people found this sight and others while they were looking to solve a problem with their weapon. I see lots of first time posts with new members trying to find out what's wrong with their new rifle and lots of replies that might lead them to thinking they've made a big mistake.
That leads me to my real reason for this post, you've really got to have first hand experiance with a system before you can say it works for you (even then, remember it works for *you* and may not fill someone else's need), or doesn't work for you (again, why doesn't it work for you? Perhaps it's perfect for someone else's needs). Further, when you're looking into purchasing something that you haven't had hands on experiance with, you've got to temper what you read with what I've mentioned earlier. Take advise from those that have been there and put a system through the same conditions you plan to use it for or have found a way to fix whatever problem you might have, set aside the posts from those that read somewhere else how well something works or how to fix something, and totally ignore anyone with a simple post about how their system works better than anything else out there.
I don't know why I got all soap-boxy on this subject. I'm ready for the weekend...

JBnTX
12-12-08, 13:45
There's two kinds of free advice.
Worthless and Priceless.

Have a nice weekend.