PDA

View Full Version : Slug Recommendation

jakeb
12-12-08, 15:22
Hey All,

What is a good slug for reaching out and touching something with a smooth bore shotgun?

Thanks!

andre3k
12-12-08, 15:40
I use Federal Tactical Rifled slugs. LE127 RS. Worked great in a shotgun slug class I took. I shot mine out to 50 yards with a Remington 870P and was able to keep center of mass shots on a b27 target with a bead sight.

toddackerman
12-14-08, 11:49
I use Federal Tactical Rifled slugs. LE127 RS. Worked great in a shotgun slug class I took. I shot mine out to 50 yards with a Remington 870P and was able to keep center of mass shots on a b27 target with a bead sight.

That's my choice as well. Very accurate with Rifle Sites. I mean head shot accurate at 50 yards!

Off topic...but if you haven't tried the Federal Flite Control Wad 00 Buck loads, I highly recommend them. Holds 10-12" patterns at 25 yards from an IC barrel.

RWK
12-14-08, 16:43
Winchester Ranger 1-oz low recoil slugs.

Bigun
12-15-08, 02:09
The Federal tru Ball slugs shoot extremely well out of my Benelli NOVA Tac. I get 2-3" groups at 70 yds and roughly 4" at 100 yds. If you mean reaching out to 200 yds you will not find a slug out of a smoothbore shotgun that will do half as well as a sabot slug out of a rifled bore. I have found Rifled barreled shotguns to be extremely finiky about what they shoot well but have had excellent results with Remington Copper Solids, Lightfield Hybrids, Winchester Platinums, Hornady S2K. YMMV but I have also found that many of the SABOT slugs will not feed reliably in either my 20 gauge Remington 1100 with a 20" fully rifled barrel or my Hastings barreled 24" 12 gauge Beretta 390. So far the longest confirmed shot I have seen personally with a sabot slug was 260 yds with a Winchester Platinum 12 gauge SABOT out of a scoped 870 Remington with a Hastings Barrel the doe in question took 2 steps and piled. I do not recomend taking shots at this range with a shotgun but it can be done.

Dan Goodwin
12-16-08, 18:04
How far do you want to reach? How hard do you want to hit when it gets there?

Remington RR loads are fine out to 50 with RS and can be dropped into a human or deer torso @ 100 with an Aimpoint.

Brenneke KO Sabots hit much harder and fly faster and flatter. Bit more accurate out of my smoothbore.

DocGKR
12-16-08, 18:44
I really like Brenneke slugs (particularly the original 1oz) and strongly dislike the common Foster type slugs...

RWK
12-16-08, 20:13
I really like Brenneke slugs (particularly the original 1oz) and strongly dislike the common Foster type slugs...

Why's that, Doc?

MTR7
12-16-08, 21:46
What does the gun like? Gotta test it. This is the only way to know. All barrels have their own mojo or lack there off. +1 on Brenekes, if your gun will shoot them.
They rock, harder lead, attched wad on the original style. Rember wads are projectiles as well and you are responsable for them

Matthew

Buck
12-16-08, 22:07
Winchester Ranger 1-oz low recoil slugs.

What he said....

http://www.prestoimages.net/graphics03/13627_pd280736.jpg

As a less lethal option, i find that lobbing bannana slugs at an agressor seems to take the fight right out of them... YMMV...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Banana_slug_at_UCSC.jpg/800px-

B

DocGKR
12-18-08, 00:03
The main reason I want to use a slug is to penetrate something--Foster slugs are notorious for flattening and failing to penetrate. Brennekes tend to punch through things. For example, during testing on the the triple laminated windshields often used on transit vehicles, the only two projectiles that were found to be able to defeat the glass and still maintain 12" of tissue penetration were 30 caliber 165 gr bonded JSP's and 12 ga 1 oz Brenneke slugs--no handgun or 5.56 mm rounds defeated the glass... Likewise, most of the Alaskan guides I know who use 12 gauges, recommend Brennekes for large bear defense.

FWIW, I avoid 12 ga sabot projectiles...

Iraqgunz
12-18-08, 04:53
DocR,

Any thoughts on the Brenneke 12 ga., 1 oz., K.O slugs? Or their Tactical Home Defense slugs?

tinman44
12-18-08, 04:56
As a less lethal option, i find that lobbing bannana slugs at an agressor seems to take the fight right out of them... YMMV...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Banana_slug_at_UCSC.jpg/800px-

B

DAMN RIGHT i would scream like a girl and stop drop and roll

RWK
12-18-08, 10:19
The main reason I want to use a slug is to penetrate something--Foster slugs are notorious for flattening and failing to penetrate. Brennekes tend to punch through things. For example, during testing on the the triple laminated windshields often used on transit vehicles, the only two projectiles that were found to be able to defeat the glass and still maintain 12" of tissue penetration were 30 caliber 165 gr bonded JSP's and 12 ga 1 oz Brenneke slugs--no handgun or 5.56 mm rounds defeated the glass... Likewise, most of the Alaskan guides I know who use 12 gauges, recommend Brennekes for large bear defense.

That makes sense to me. However, if I were shooting through bus windows, I'd be in a lot of trouble! ;)

While on the subject of Brenneke slugs -- has anyone checked out their "Tactical Home Defense" (Ugh, what a name... :rolleyes:) slugs?

As a less lethal option, i find that lobbing bannana slugs at an agressor seems to take the fight right out of them...

That's just wrong!

DAMN RIGHT i would scream like a girl and stop drop and roll

Maybe you should change your user name from tinman to cowardly_lion... :D

John123
01-26-09, 11:46
DocR,

Any thoughts on the Brenneke 12 ga., 1 oz., K.O slugs? Or their Tactical Home Defense slugs?

Bump, for answers. I'd like to know as well.

John

.308holes
01-26-09, 17:04
If you can afford some Hornady SST's, we have REAL good accuracy with an LE M870.

tpd223
01-27-09, 02:35
We issue the Federal Flightcontrol and TruBall slugs here, both in low recoil version.

The slug is very accurate through our 500s and 590s. I like these loads enough to buy my own for home use.

03humpalot
02-01-09, 08:19
If you can afford some Hornady SST's, we have REAL good accuracy with an LE M870.

Been meaning to try some of those out, thanks for the heads up.

Nathan_Bell
02-01-09, 08:41

FWIW, I avoid 12 ga sabot projectiles...

Do you avoid them in smoothbores only, as that is what most LEO/non-shotgun deer states have around, or is the loss of mass too much to give the heavy penetration you are looking for out of a shotgun?

When you go the fully rifled route that most hunters in Ohio have gone the sabots are a huge step up in range and accuracy. The Hornady SST loads out of the Remington shotties we use for deer reach out to 140 range accurately enough to take Ohio whitetail.

Detmongo
02-02-09, 08:08
during a recent FBI FI school in WEST POINT i was able to connect w/ a 12"x18" chest plate at 200 yds. w/a rem. 870 w/ghost rings using fred. reduced recoil slugs. i was able to hit the plate 22 out of 25 rds. fired.:D