PDA

View Full Version : Magnifier options/reviews

1986s4
10-14-21, 09:32
So I have a Aimpoint Comp M4, I like it and I know it's a little on the large side. So far I have it paired with an Aimpoint 3X magnifier, the older "pro" model. Both work just fine but I now realize I have more powerful options:

Sig Juliet 4X and 6X
EO Tech G45 5X

So I'm thinking that a 4X option just isn't enough of a difference from my 3X to justify the money. A 6X seems like a good option but I haven't heard anything on it. I really like the idea of a 5X too and I've heard good things about EOTech glass quality. So which would you choose or presently have? What do like/dislike about them?

Thank you

RHINOWSO
10-14-21, 09:51
Honestly I think if you want more than 3x, you are better served getting a LPVO from 1-6/1-8/1-10. Most magnifiers have pretty short eye relief and the optical clarity won't match what you'll get out of a dedicated optic.

I think the reason is there aren't many reviews on 6x magnifiers of any sort is they kind of suck.

I have a couple of the Aimpint 3X-C and like them for what they are, adding some mag to a RDS rifle. But if I want dedicated magnification and not a red dot, I'll grab my NX-8 equipped rifles in a heartbeat.

mebiuspower
10-14-21, 10:16
Aimpoint has been offering a 6x magnifier for a while now...

Screwball
10-14-21, 10:54
Aimpoint has been offering a 6x magnifier for a while now...

That’s correct… and the 3x I have is awesome.

But as stated, if you are either 1x or 6x… no in between. LPVO is superior. And for the money (their 6x magnifier is $850… without red dot), LPVO is also probably cheaper.

1986s4
10-14-21, 11:38
That’s correct… and the 3x I have is awesome.

But as stated, if you are either 1x or 6x… no in between. LPVO is superior. And for the money (their 6x magnifier is $850… without red dot), LPVO is also probably cheaper.

I know the Aimpoint 6X is big bucks which is why it isn't an option. My 3X Aimpoint I got for around 1/2 price due to it being a store demo.

Defaultmp3
10-14-21, 12:54
I will note that the Aimpoint 6XMag-1 also suffers from a very small FOV, which is why I personally passed on it. I would say that the EOTech is the one most likely to gain further aftermarket support, if that's something you care about.

The LPVO and magnifier/unmagnified optic combo fulfill distinctly different roles, IMO, and while there is overlap, I personally use them in very different ways.

mig1nc
10-14-21, 15:08
I've man handled a Juliet 6 a couple of times.

I was in a similar boat, but after trying it I decided to pass.

The eye box and eye relief was very unforgiving.

I would love to check out the Juliet 4 and Eotech G45.

The Juliet 4 gets great reviews on the interwebs for what it's worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-14-21, 15:19
Another thing to keep in mind with magnifiers is that the dot is magnified too. With a second focal plane LPVO, the dot/reticle size remains the same.
If I go higher than 3X, I would look for a LPVO.

mebiuspower
10-15-21, 09:59
Another thing to keep in mind with magnifiers is that the dot is magnified too. With a second focal plane LPVO, the dot/reticle size remains the same.

There's still a place & time for dot & magnifier combo especially on the Mil/LE side...

10-15-21, 10:24
There's still a place & time for dot & magnifier combo especially on the Mil/LE side...

Definitely! I have thought about getting a LPVO, but so far I’m happy with a Red Dot and 3x magnifier.

10-15-21, 11:39
I will note that the Aimpoint 6XMag-1 also suffers from a very small FOV, which is why I personally passed on it. I would say that the EOTech is the one most likely to gain further aftermarket support, if that's something you care about.

The LPVO and magnifier/unmagnified optic combo fulfill distinctly different roles, IMO, and while there is overlap, I personally use them in very different ways.

I agree. The magnifier is good for zeroing and for stretching a fast short range setup into medium range, whereas the LPVO is a medium range setup that can work up close. There are some caveats, but that seems to be the general rule.

jsbhike
10-15-21, 21:03

I have wondered why there isn't a long eye relief magnifier capable of mounting in front of the optic.

Haven't handled a magnifier above 3x, but anything decent with more magnification I can recall seeing jumped in price enough that an LPVO makes more sense on the cost end alone.

And the LPVO likely doing a much better and more versatile job than my theoretical LER magnifier may be why none exists.

BoringGuy45
10-16-21, 06:22
I agree. The magnifier is good for zeroing and for stretching a fast short range setup into medium range, whereas the LPVO is a medium range setup that can work up close. There are some caveats, but that seems to be the general rule.

Yep. The way I've heard it is that a RDS+Mag is good if you're expecting engagement distances mostly to be between 0-50 mostly, but with targets over 100 yards away to be likely as well. LVPOs are good if you're expecting most engagements to be 100 yards and beyond, with a good chance for some close up work as well.

mebiuspower
10-19-21, 08:11
Definitely! I have thought about getting a LPVO, but so far I’m happy with a Red Dot and 3x magnifier.

While I have a LPVO setup myself, guys who are shooting PCC are going back to red dots for speed...

jsbhike
11-02-21, 06:02
Superset CA ACSS red dot + magnifier

https://youtu.be/eS0tQAtkZMY

DefenderAO
11-15-21, 19:20
I know the Aimpoint 6X is big bucks which is why it isn't an option. My 3X Aimpoint I got for around 1/2 price due to it being a store demo.

Its optical clarity is very poor. Finicky eye box and low light transmission. That is likely why it doesn't get talked about much...

Disciple
11-15-21, 19:28
While I have a LPVO setup myself, guys who are shooting PCC are going back to red dots for speed...

In competition?

mebiuspower
11-15-21, 19:30
In competition?

Yup..

Disciple
11-15-21, 19:37
Yup..

In addition to a red dot magnifier, a separate fixed-power scope, or by itself?

Defaultmp3
11-15-21, 23:07
Its optical clarity is very poor. Finicky eye box and low light transmission. That is likely why it doesn't get talked about much...What is "low light transmission"? 75% is not very good compared to the >90% you'll see on nicer LPVOs, but at the same time, is it any worse than other magnifiers? I've never really been able to dig out any published specs, whether be from Vortex, EOTech, Trijicon, etc. To my eye, my G33 had worse light transmission than my 3XMag-1.

mebiuspower
11-16-21, 04:18
In addition to a red dot magnifier, a separate fixed-power scope, or by itself?

2 dots, one at 12 and another at 45 degree.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWFEme2lBG2/

1986s4
11-16-21, 07:20
As an up date I finally went with a SIG Juliet 4X magnifier to go with my Aimpoint Comp M4. With the included spacers it is possible to get a perfect [to my eye] elevation match up with the M4. It has the magnification necessary for me to get regular and sure hits on a 8" steel plate at 200m which was my goal. The light transmission seems good enough for my eyes although my only other experience is with my Aimpoint 3X. The SIG is US assembled at least and I think with Japanese glass so it meets my personal not made in China requirement.
All and all it's good and I am satisfied.

Don't Tread On Me
11-16-21, 09:43
2 dots, one at 12 and another at 45 degree.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWFEme2lBG2/

Not being a smartass, but why? Am I missing something here?

joedirt199
11-16-21, 10:08
I think they are sighted for different distances so the hold is still center of target instead of kentucky windage.

Don't Tread On Me
11-16-21, 10:34
Okay, makes sense from a competition perspective.

mig1nc
11-16-21, 11:14
I think they are sighted for different distances so the hold is still center of target instead of kentucky windage.

I've also heard of people keeping one in NV mode, depending on the individual use case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defaultmp3
11-16-21, 11:17
I think they are sighted for different distances so the hold is still center of target instead of kentucky windage.This is incorrect; the offset is much easier to use while doing a hard weak side lean without needing to bump shoulders or switch hands; they also have some utility when shooting from low ports.

dan1612
11-16-21, 13:22
A G33 and a Razor 1-6 cover all my intermediate distance needs.