PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Questions

AndyLate
10-15-21, 19:16
I have been to a ton of gun shows, bought plenty, never sold a single thing.

We have a gun show this weekend that I would like to sell an AR at. I always see plenty of (non-vendor) people carry guns into the show to either sell or trade. Is it kosher to do that with, say, one rifle? I am referring to social norms, not legality.

I completely understand the vendors have to rent tables, cover expenses, etc and I really don't plan to push it. One PSA carbine is all I am trying to move.

Assuming selling a single gun is not a problem, do I just walk around with a slung rifle until someone asks if I want to sell or trade? Maybe hang a cardboard sign on it with a price?

Thanks

Andy

Sam
10-15-21, 19:40
I have done it several times with ARs and shotguns, one at a time. Walk around with gun on sling on my back with a card board sign with the sale price. Price it right and you'll have cash in your pocket before you get past the front door.

Artos
10-15-21, 19:51
You are fine...no need for a sign as those interested will be asking. I suggest giving a thanks for the interest & no haggling firm price.

Sikiguya
10-15-21, 19:53
I did that with a couple of pistols. Threw them cased in a backpack and clip a sign saying what they are and how $. I got stopped 10 times in the first row and sold it by the second row.

I have seen guys stick a rod down a sling long gun with a sign attached to it.

I’d bring a bill of sale form prefilled with your information, clipboard, and a pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsbhike
10-15-21, 20:24
Not a bad idea to ask slightly more than what you are willing to take for it. If you walked in with a sign on it saying "free", someone would ask you for $50 to take it off your hands and a piggy back ride to their vehicle.

Sikiguya
10-15-21, 20:29
Not a bad idea to ask slightly more than what you are willing to take for it. If you walked in with a sign on it saying "free", someone would ask you for $50 to take it off your hands and a piggy back ride to their vehicle.

Ain’t that the truth![emoji857][emoji857][emoji857]

TomMcC
10-15-21, 20:38
I have been to a ton of gun shows, bought plenty, never sold a single thing.

We have a gun show this weekend that I would like to sell an AR at. I always see plenty of (non-vendor) people carry guns into the show to either sell or trade. Is it kosher to do that with, say, one rifle? I am referring to social norms, not legality.

I completely understand the vendors have to rent tables, cover expenses, etc and I really don't plan to push it. One PSA carbine is all I am trying to move.

Assuming selling a single gun is not a problem, do I just walk around with a slung rifle until someone asks if I want to sell or trade? Maybe hang a cardboard sign on it with a price?

Thanks

Andy

Perfectly ok to do. Vendors choose their way of selling and you have chosen yours'.

AndyLate
10-15-21, 22:49
Great replies. I know my questions seemed a bit "dumb" but it is new to me.

A sincere thanks, Y'all

Andy

Slater
10-16-21, 09:46
Depending on the gun show promoter, some won't allow private transactions on the premises. You have to go outside to the parking lot or to the Wal-Mart across the street.

ViniVidivici
10-16-21, 10:33
Indeed, it's very much up to whatever entity is putting on the show. Most are cool with it.

I've done that with a Browning A-5, slung on my shoulder, didn't even need a sign, plenty of folks asked, sold quick.

I've seen folks make a little flag-type sign and stick it in the barrel while they walk around.

I always appreciated that, so I didnt have to bug them.

Averageman
10-16-21, 12:07
Great replies. I know my questions seemed a bit "dumb" but it is new to me.

A sincere thanks, Y'all

Andy

Of course around here you would be required to wear bib overalls, have a gravey stained white t-shirt on and a "John Deere" Truckers hat.
I mean just to be authentic and everything.

GH41
10-16-21, 14:11
You won't have to go inside if fairly priced.

AndyLate
10-16-21, 18:06
We had our grand daughter today, so didn't go.

I asked my wife to carry a backpack of M2 Ball so I could sell ammo out of it and she is not feeling it. 1000 rounds is under 70 lbs; I don't understand her objections.

Andy

el_chupo_
10-16-21, 22:00
Congrats on the new addition!

And I generally get as much interest from vendors as other attendees, in my area, no problems at all with any of the local show locations.

Averageman
10-16-21, 22:56
Of course around here you would be required to wear bib overalls, have a gravey stained white t-shirt on and a "John Deere" Truckers hat.
I mean just to be authentic and everything.

We had our grand daughter today, so didn't go.

I asked my wife to carry a backpack of M2 Ball so I could sell ammo out of it and she is not feeling it. 1000 rounds is under 70 lbs; I don't understand her objections.

Andy

You need to get dressed up like I suggested, how can she not carry a thousand rounds once she sees you looking all Dapper like that?

AndyLate
10-17-21, 17:48
Unfortunately the gun show was a bit of a bust. The AR market is soft at the moment, which is not a shock. No biggie, I don't need to sell.

Plenty of ammunition - pricey, but not outrageous. Not a single M1 enbloc clip, or really any other M1 parts. Some cool old rifles.

Andy

tgizzard
10-17-21, 19:11
Unfortunately the gun show was a bit of a bust. The AR market is soft at the moment, which is not a shock. No biggie, I don't need to sell.

Plenty of ammunition - pricey, but not outrageous. Not a single M1 enbloc clip, or really any other M1 parts. Some cool old rifles.

Andy

I rolled the dice on trying to sell off an AR I wasn’t using years ago at a gun show in Ft. Pierce, to the same effect. Had a dude say he was interested until I pulled the Florida Gun Trader bill of sale form I printed off before hand. Guy told me I was a “libtard” for producing said item. I attempted to explain the bill of sale served as a protection for both him and myself but to no avail. I left after that, went to Indian River Sportsman (shout out) and off loaded said rifle.