PDA

View Full Version : 13.7 upper

MrLegalAce777
10-16-21, 15:23
I'm gonna build my own 13.7 upper so I went ahead and picked up a noveske 13.7 chf barrel to build it around. Its the infidel I believe. On the actual infidel rifle noveske uses their flaming pig that adds back pressure. Question is will using something like the solgw nox to get it to the legal 16.1" oal change the reliability of that barrel? I have a blem bcm stripped upper and noveske bcg so all quality parts.

a1madrid
10-16-21, 15:26
I'm gonna build my own 13.7 upper so I went ahead and picked up a noveske 13.7 chf barrel to build it around. Its the infidel I believe. On the actual infidel rifle noveske uses their flaming pig that adds back pressure. Question is will using something like the solgw nox to get it to the legal 16.1" oal change the reliability of that barrel? I have a blem bcm stripped upper and noveske bcg so all quality parts.

I was LITERALLY watching this video as I saw your post show up in my notifications. Check it out Garand Thumb talks about it here.

https://youtu.be/GZxC07B2jYY

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

titsonritz
10-16-21, 18:21
Yeah, I'm itching for a 13.7" myself for a dedicated NV gun.

dan1612
10-16-21, 18:26
As overgassed as noveske makes their barrels, you shouldn’t have an issue. Will you be running suppressed?
Love my 13.7 (well not technically mine but whatever).
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211016/0bd75f66b547695a2efd20eb40ca5795.jpg

MrLegalAce777
10-16-21, 19:12
Yeah I'll be running my sandman s with it. Assuming I ever get it out of NFA jail. Been waiting for over 11 months. I've always wanted a 13.7 build with the geissele mk8 but of course they went to 13.5 on all handguards before I got around to it. I found one on gun broker that says its 13" and should get it in a few days so fingers crossed its not the 13.5.

dan1612
10-16-21, 19:26
Yeah I'll be running my sandman s with it. Assuming I ever get it out of NFA jail. Been waiting for over 11 months. I've always wanted a 13.7 build with the geissele mk8 but of course they went to 13.5 on all handguards before I got around to it. I found one on gun broker that says its 13" and should get it in a few days so fingers crossed its not the 13.5.

It should be fine.
You could always go M76 wedge lock if you run out of luck.

MrLegalAce777
10-16-21, 19:39
That was my first choice but I cant ever seem to find the m76 in stock not to mention I would have to have someone drill out my upper for the anti rotation pin. If this rail isnt 13" I will have to sell it and wait for an m76 to pop up. Im sure I can find a shop that could drill my upper.

Deadman William
10-16-21, 19:48
hopefully this isnt a faux pas thread drift, but what is the original purpose of the 13.7? where'd that barrel length come from?

MrLegalAce777
10-16-21, 19:51
If I'm not mistaken the only real reason is so you can pin and weld most suppressor mounts and hit the bare minimum for a 16.1" oal to avoid the NFA and have the shortest gun without a stamp. 13.7 and 13.9 with dead air and surefire mounts come in at 16.1 but sometimes you have to shim it depending on the mount. Not to mention they look badass.

Deadman William
10-16-21, 19:54
If I'm not mistaken the only real reason is so you can pin and weld most suppressor mounts and hit the bare minimum for a 16.1" oal to avoid the NFA and have the shortest gun without a stamp. 13.7 and 13.9 with dead air and surefire mounts come in at 16.1 but sometimes you have to shim it depending on the mount. Not to mention they look badass.

thats a disappointingly uninteresting origin

titsonritz
10-16-21, 21:38

That is it but not just suppressor mounts, many excellent MDs are will get you to 16.1" with 13.7", SOLGW has non-mount version of the NOX as does Surefire. Also, with it has a forgivable dwell time and it is the shortest barrel to work well supressed or unsupressed with mid-length gas system, sort of the 11.5 of the carbine world.

Deadman William
10-17-21, 17:46
That is it but not just suppressor mounts, many excellent MDs are will get you to 16.1" with 13.7", SOLGW has non-mount version of the NOX as does Surefire. Also, with it has a forgivable dwell time and it is the shortest barrel to work well supressed or unsupressed with mid-length gas system, sort of the 11.5 of the carbine world.

i can in fact recall being slightly annoyed that all of the muzzle devices i wanted to use with a 14.5 barrel took it out past 16"... but i mean we're talking pretty goddamn mild annoyance. im surprised there's an apparently fairly strong market for that, but i guess when you take it a bit further - why not go 13.7 when 13.7 is available and meets the minimum?

weird industry... this platform has been developed to the point of marginal innovation, marketed to a bon vivant consumer base that's so tuned as to recognize, appreciate, and be willing to invest in new products of said marginal improvement

no judgment - im as much as fan of the AR as anyone. but it truly is an intemperate sub industry, despite, i suspect, most of us generally thinking otherwise. but how many people are interested in or even have the means to drop $1200, $2500, $5000+ on a some-assembly-required rifle and optic package? pretty few.

korosenai
10-20-21, 20:44
@dan1612

Hey boss want to talk to you but I can’t message you because your inbox is full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan1612
10-20-21, 20:44
@dan1612

Hey boss want to talk to you but I can’t message you because your inbox is full

I’ll look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

korosenai
10-20-21, 20:46
No problem boss I had to open the link in my phone web browser then go to mailbox and do it that way can’t do it on the app