PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Light?

foxkid1
11-16-06, 01:59
Hey All!
So...once again I am in need of some suggestions! I am looking for a weapon light and I will take any recomendations. I havent had one on the AR so that leaves me unbiased and completly open to any...no vert grip combos...seeing as I already have TVG mounted. Thanks in advance...:D

C4IGrant
11-16-06, 11:14
Hey All!
So...once again I am in need of some suggestions! I am looking for a weapon light and I will take any recomendations. I havent had one on the AR so that leaves me unbiased and completly open to any...no vert grip combos...seeing as I already have TVG mounted. Thanks in advance...:D

What is the max range that you believe that you will engage a target?

C4

rob_s
11-16-06, 12:51
Grant has it right.

I had one of his lights which was more than adequate for indoors
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/196/196030/folders/171062/1891796DSC0185(medium).jpg

but this gun is shot mostly outdoors, so I upgraded
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/196/196030/folders/171062/1926930ARComplete.jpg

baffle Stack
11-16-06, 13:35
Rob,
How do you activate the flashlights in that position?

rob_s
11-16-06, 13:50
Rob,
How do you activate the flashlights in that position?
I get asked that so often I think I'm going to have to get a pic of me shooting that way.:D

Hold the magwell, thumb on the port side of the rifle.

Right now though I have a vertical foreward grip on it because I'm trying a two-point sling and it interferes with the light.

foxkid1
11-17-06, 00:18
Thanks for the posts guys, I am looking for something to mostly use indoors or in moderatly C.Q. Grant...I just cant decide what to pick up for the rifle? :confused:

C4IGrant
11-17-06, 08:01
I get asked that so often I think I'm going to have to get a pic of me shooting that way.:D

Hold the magwell, thumb on the port side of the rifle.

Right now though I have a vertical foreward grip on it because I'm trying a two-point sling and it interferes with the light.

Ooh, holding the magwell (bad juju). :D

C4

C4IGrant
11-17-06, 08:03
Thanks for the posts guys, I am looking for something to mostly use indoors or in moderatly C.Q. Grant...I just cant decide what to pick up for the rifle? :confused:

Alright, you need an indoor light for home defense I am guessing. I would then look at going with a 6V light (between 65 Lumens and 100).

The next question, is your budget. What dollar amount would you like to stay within. No need for me to list $400 dollar lights if you only want to spend $65. :D

C4

rob_s
11-17-06, 08:22
Ooh, holding the magwell (bad juju). :D

C4

OK, I'll bite, why?

C4IGrant
11-17-06, 08:58
OK, I'll bite, why?

Under stress or just not paying attention, your thumb could ride up and hit the bolt catch.

Mags are also very finicky things. Applying pressure to them (on purpose or not), could affect reliability.

C4

rob_s
11-17-06, 09:11
Under stress or just not paying attention, your thumb could ride up and hit the bolt catch.
That's why it stays on the light.;)

Mags are also very finicky things. Applying pressure to them (on purpose or not), could affect reliability.

MagWELL, not mag. I have long skinny hands and the left one rides just right snugged up under the DD.

At least you didn't say "the gun could blow up and take off your hand".:D

C4IGrant
11-17-06, 09:17
That's why it stays on the light.;)

MagWELL, not mag. I have long skinny hands and the left one rides just right snugged up under the DD.

At least you didn't say "the gun could blow up and take off your hand".:D

There are just to many things that can go wrong with that setup (especially under stress). Take a class with Vickers, he will break you of that habit. :D

C4

Akoni
11-17-06, 09:17

Where is your forward sling mount? On a two point sling, I put a swivel as far back on the rail as possible. The new LT rails actually have a swivel QD point built into the rail there. May help some.

Akoni
11-17-06, 09:20

C4

Those mags ought to get dumped or the rifle needs to get checked out. You should be able to apply pressure to the mag w/out causing reliability problems.

rob_s
11-17-06, 09:20
Where is your forward sling mount? On a two point sling, I put a swivel as far back on the rail as possible. The new LT rails actually have a swivel QD point built into the rail there. May help some.
I mimicked that same location from the Larue with the mount that I got with my Vickers sling.

Cold Zero
11-17-06, 12:17
If I were you, I would look into the Surefire 6P or G2. Then if you want to upgrade to the anti shock bezel or the momentary on switch, that is worthwhile as well. Should be adequate for your needs.

nyeti
12-31-06, 01:44
There are plusses and minuses to both the magwell hold that is well utilized by those who have trained with Pat Rogers, and the use of either a very far forward VFG or extended on the handguard as utilized by Larry Vickers. I have used both extensively and both work well in certain scenarios. Neither is "wrong", and it takes a combination of real world use and more than one training class to really figure out what works best for each shooter and their particular mission in life.

GastonG-NoVa
01-03-07, 21:00
Don't feel bad Rob, that is how I shoot mine...and I still have all 9 of my fingers!!!:eek:

Sort of funny but I don't care for the vert grips but holding on to the magwell is pretty comfy. I have been through a bunch of courses, and most said it doesn't matter unless it gives the shooter (me) a problem. I know several don't like it.

I shoot a Colt at work and LMT for recreation. Neither one has malfunctioned in 1/2 a bazillion rounds, give or take a kazillion.

Best of luck in the New Year,
G

VA_Dinger
01-03-07, 23:29
I don't really understand one part of this.

If we are suppose to hold the magwell, why didn't Mr. Stoner design it with a heat shield? We all know that it does get damn hot after prolonged firing of the weapon. What are hand guards for then? Why do hand guards have heat shields and not the magwell itself? I seriously doubt Mr. Stoner envisioned us using the handguards for nothing but a place to attach our flashlights, vert grips, grenade launchers, and lasers.

I realize nobody has ever died from holding the magwell and it's functional enough but it just does not make sense if you look at the weapon and how it was designed. Do you hold a lever action 30-30 by the receiver / ejection port?

Please don't get all spun up, its just a question.

:D

Dan GSR
01-04-07, 16:29
for indoors and close quarters i really like the surefire scout light
the beam is very bright, and VERY wide, it lights up the entire room