PDA

View Full Version : Is this a reasonable buy?

Stan_TheGunNut
12-12-08, 18:35
A friend of mine from work is in the market for an AR15. Since I'm considered the gun guru at work (since I happen to own a few and not due to any professed knowledge), he asked me if the Colt he found at the gunshop for $1500 was a good deal. I have not been in the market for an AR since before the election and realize that prices have gone up on these items, so I'm not sure what is considered reasonable at the moment.

All I know about the rifle is that it is preban (meaning pre 94), new in box, Colt AR15. From what he's told me, it has a standard non-collapsing stock. That's pretty much all I know about it. I realize it would be easier to access value if I could provide more detail, but any help in providing a rough estimate of its worth in the current climate would be appreciated. Also, would you buy at this price, or keep looking?

Thanks for your help,

sonrider657
12-12-08, 19:38
Six weeks ago, that would have been a rip off. Since the election, that is probably a fair price.

JackOSU
12-12-08, 20:41
I second having him pick it up. Very fair price these days. Most are higher than that now with the sky falling market.

Stan_TheGunNut
12-13-08, 08:57
Thanks for your thoughts.

BH1
12-13-08, 12:11
I don't think being "pre-ban" adds any specific value in SC as there is no state ban. All it means is that it is at least 14 years old - which again doesn't really matter if it is still honestly unfired/NIB. So that is pretty much a wash and it comes down to is a new Colt for 1500 a fair deal in todays market? I guess I'd have to say yes IF it is the model he really wants.

cwilliams
12-13-08, 12:23
if he is planing on keeping it in the original configuration i would say go for in considering the prices of rifles these days

Gun-nut
12-13-08, 15:02
The Colt 6920 I saw at the gun show today, had a sticker price of $1995.

So yeah, $1500 seems okay in the current market.

tkosiba
12-14-08, 12:22
Contact White Oak Armament (www.whiteoakarament.com), and get a highly accurate custom for LESS.