PDA

View Full Version : Old school ‘pew, pew’, pew’ …

Lefty223
10-27-21, 18:00
Another one off the bucket list!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEN3jwfGFEY&feature=youtu.be%5B/media%5D

Big annual black powdah shoot, where I had my display of BP firearms ignition types (1 each, all shootable) from the 1300s through the late 1700s on display.

WickedWillis
10-27-21, 18:20
So incredibly cool

Lefty223
10-27-21, 18:21
Only 10 barrels to clean! In 45-70 no less …

gaijin
10-27-21, 18:28

And Black Powder cleaning at that.
Very cool.

opngrnd
10-27-21, 20:21
That's pretty awesome.

SeriousStudent
10-28-21, 18:23
If I get lottery-rich, I will have a pair of these mounted fore and aft on a Conestoga wagon in my driveway.

Then saddle up four horses and yell "Git offa ma lawn!"

titsonritz
10-28-21, 19:27

Oxen.

jsbhike
10-28-21, 19:36
Big annual black powdah shoot, where I had my display of BP firearms ignition types (1 each, all shootable) from the 1300s through the late 1700s on display.

Any wheel locks?

Caduceus
10-29-21, 23:30

If I get lottery-rich, I will have a pair of these mounted fore and aft on a Conestoga wagon in my driveway.

And yet, you'll still die of dysentery.

AndyLate
10-30-21, 01:14
There is a local gun shop (Larry's Pistol and Pawn) with two stores and the "West" store has a bunch of the owner's guns displayed, including a gorgeous brass Colt 45-70 Gatling gun.

Its worth a visit just to see the displays.

Andy

Straight Shooter
10-30-21, 16:45
There is a local gun shop (Larry's Pistol and Pawn) with two stores and the "West" store has a bunch of the owner's guns displayed, including a gorgeous brass Colt 45-70 Gatling gun.

Its worth a visit just to see the displays.

Andy

Man I LOVE going in there in the back. I actually complimented Larry himself a couple weeks ago on it.

Lefty223
11-07-21, 16:42
Any wheel locks?
Yes, I have a shootable copy of the ‘Mayflower’ wheellock like that which came over in the possession of John Alden, made for me for The Rifle Shoppe early Germanic wheellock kit. The original was a 50-odd caliber carbine, 24” barrel as made by Beretta in 1560, it is believed. The original is in the possession of the NRA museum and has a very short 10 l-1/2” length of pull, due to the small stature of the men way back then.

Leonardo DaVinci is credited with designing the mechanism in 1495. Back then the only source of firearms ‘energy’ were V-springs, but he invented the concept of bicycle chain, where it wraps around the tumbler (center hub of the wheel) and as connected via a stirrup to the large end of the spring, to convert the linear motion of the V-spring into rotary motion.

Brian Anderson, an expert on early arms, as well as an incredibly talented artist, blacksmith and gunsmithing made the kit and put it together for me. Cherry wood, as an original would be, and upscaled so a more modern-sized shooter can shoot it, plus scaled to fit the TRS lockplate. We ended up with a 58-caliber, 28” ‘swamped’ barrel carbine, with a 12-1/2” length of pull. The ignition source is actually pyrite, a.k.a. ‘fool’s gold’, where the dog forces the pyrite down into the spinning wheel.

Pictures here, albeit off-site: https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/an-alden-inspired-‘mayflower’-wheellock-carbine.117212/

jsbhike
11-07-21, 18:55
Yes, I have a shootable copy of the ‘Mayflower’ wheellock like that which came over in the possession of John Alden, made for me for The Rifle Shoppe early Germanic wheellock kit. The original was a 50-odd caliber carbine, 24” barrel as made by Beretta in 1560, it is believed. The original is in the possession of the NRA museum and has a very short 10 l-1/2” length of pull, due to the small stature of the men way back then.

Leonardo DaVinci is credited with designing the mechanism in 1495. Back then the only source of firearms ‘energy’ were V-springs, but he invented the concept of bicycle chain, where it wraps around the tumbler (center hub of the wheel) and as connected via a stirrup to the large end of the spring, to convert the linear motion of the V-spring into rotary motion.

Brian Anderson, an expert on early arms, as well as an incredibly talented artist, blacksmith and gunsmithing made the kit and put it together for me. Cherry wood, as an original would be, and upscaled so a more modern-sized shooter can shoot it, plus scaled to fit the TRS lockplate. We ended up with a 58-caliber, 28” ‘swamped’ barrel carbine, with a 12-1/2” length of pull. The ignition source is actually pyrite, a.k.a. ‘fool’s gold’, where the dog forces the pyrite down into the spinning wheel.

Pictures here, albeit off-site: https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/an-alden-inspired-‘mayflower’-wheellock-carbine.117212/

Thank you for that, those are very interesting.

MistWolf
11-10-21, 09:56
Another one off the bucket list!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEN3jwfGFEY&feature=youtu.be%5B/media%5D

Very cool, but if we’re going “Old School” Dakka Dakka Dakka is for such guns as the Gatling.

Pew Pew Pew is for lasers.

Man, that looks like fun!

Cry Havoc!- and let loose SeriousStudent and The Four Horsemen Of Get Off My Lawn!