PDA

View Full Version : I had my first failure with an AR in >5 years!

Eurodriver
10-29-21, 20:53
It’s been so long I was more surprised that it happened than I was at trying to clear the failure.

The weird thing is that when I pulled the CH back nothing came out. I got a flashlight and there was a live round in the chamber and the tip of that bullet had been blunted like it hit something hard. The last round I had fired still had the case in the chamber and the neck was all mangled. It looked like it was crushed from like 5 different sides (as opposed to one side from the BCG hitting it against the upper).

How the heck did a live round get stripped out of the mag and into the chamber while an empty case was still in the upper?!

glocktogo
10-29-21, 20:57
My first guess would be that the extractor gave up on the empty before the ejector could kick it out?

ggammell
10-29-21, 20:59
Who’s bolt?

Eurodriver
10-29-21, 21:01
Who’s bolt?

BCM bolt

okie
10-30-21, 06:47
I'm not sure if I'm visualizing this correctly. Shame on you for not snapping a photo of it!

In any case, how many rounds since you switched out the extractor and ejector and their springs?

RHINOWSO
10-30-21, 08:50
Being overrun by Canadian Dillos fleeing the 'Rona?

Good luck, if it gets bad call an airstrike in on your pos.

Eurodriver
10-30-21, 09:21
If you saw her you’d move to Canada too.

I'm not sure if I'm visualizing this correctly. Shame on you for not snapping a photo of it!

In any case, how many rounds since you switched out the extractor and ejector and their springs?

The end result was as follows:

I locked the BCG to the rear. There was a live round in the chamber. There was also a fired case behind the live round. The neck of the fired case was smashed in many directions. The tip of the bullet of the live round in the chamber was flattened as if it had been smashed against something.

Literally no idea of round count. The BCM bolt is from 2011 or 2012. It could be 5000 or 15000

arptsprt
10-30-21, 09:29
Sometimes weird sheet happens. I’d change the extractor spring myself.

On another note, how’s the NOX?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inkslinger
10-30-21, 09:53
Literally no idea of round count. The BCM bolt is from 2011 or 2012. It could be 5000 or 15000
There’s your problem. If you did routine inspections, kept accurate round counts to compare with “expected” component life, and preformed preventive maintenance and scheduled replacement of components, you probably wouldn’t have had a failure. And with solid data to look back on, if you have a failure, it would probably be one that you could easily diagnose.

okie
10-30-21, 10:30

The end result was as follows:

I locked the BCG to the rear. There was a live round in the chamber. There was also a fired case behind the live round. The neck of the fired case was smashed in many directions. The tip of the bullet of the live round in the chamber was flattened as if it had been smashed against something.

In either event, probably long overdue for a bolt gutting and rebuild. Also inspect the lugs while you're doing that after a very thorough cleaning to check for cracks.

Not sure of the actual gymnastics it performed to get in that position, but it sounds like it all stems from a simple failure to eject. Could be the extractor or ejector, or both, or the springs, or all of the above.

I imagine the bullet got pushed in because the spent case obstructed its path into the chamber, so it likely got driven down into the ramps hard before whatever shifted and let it go in. Especially if the neck isn't crimped that's not hard to do.

Corse
10-30-21, 11:25
I had an ejector spring fail that had similar results. Swapping It might be worth a try.

RHINOWSO
10-30-21, 12:15

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.com%2Fimages%2F6cc7ed3293779bafa81af66dd5d96d30%2Ftenor.gif&f=1&nofb=1

georgeib
10-30-21, 12:26
Make sure you don't have a squib.

C-grunt
10-30-21, 12:34
I'm betting the extractor or ejector are bad. Maybe both. With a round count on the bolt possibly being 15k you definitely should replace at least the extractor and ejector. I'd probably just buy a new bolt myself unless you want to see how far it'll go.

okie
10-30-21, 21:09
I'm betting the extractor or ejector are bad. Maybe both. With a round count on the bolt possibly being 15k you definitely should replace at least the extractor and ejector. I'd probably just buy a new bolt myself unless you want to see how far it'll go.

I mean, there aren't that many people who can say they've broken a bolt.