PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Europe

Bluto
11-01-21, 13:47
An opportunity has recently presented itself and my family and I are likely going to take advantage of it.

My wife is a German citizen and our kids and myself are residents. We live in south Florida but a few years ago we bought a house in Germany that has been rented out since then. We now have the opportunity to move to either the house in Germany or another house in Switzerland and continue renting the Germany house.

Long story short, if this is considered a "permanent" move, what are my options on bringing any firearms over? Regular stuff I'm not too concerned about; it's mostly the NFA stuff I'm thinking of. Suppressors and SBR's, no machine guns. Is it possible to import anything? Where would I even begin to research this? I contacted both consulates at no one had any idea.

Hank6046
11-01-21, 14:11
This is all I have been able to find. I would try and call local authorities in that country to see what the rules and regulations are. Best of luck

https://www.zoll.de/EN/Private-individuals/Travel/Entering-Germany/Restrictions/Weapons-and-ammunition/weapons-and-ammunition_node.html

TheAlsatian
11-01-21, 18:25
I would say your chances of bringing anything into Germany are close to zero. Switzerland is a good bit more open on gun laws but not sure how that applies to non-Swiss, and it is not an EU country. We do have a Swiss member of this board, so perhaps he will chime in. I have dual citizenship in an EU country myself, and I would never move there if I was a firearms afficianado....

Diamondback
11-01-21, 18:37
Bluto, OLIAR15 might be a good source of advice--he's the Swiss member TheAlsatian referred to.

If I *had* to move to Europe, right now on gun and self-defense rights I'd be looking at Czech Republic personally.

yoni
11-01-21, 19:11
My understanding on Switzerland is if you have the Swiss green card you can buy guns there. I would put my American guns in storage and buy new guns there.

I will second the Czech Republic, easy to get citizenship and they just added the Right of self defense to their Constitution.

nml
11-02-21, 05:06
Would be interested to hear from others. I don't see a permanent move as possible? Germany is quite tyrannical, both in civil liberties and taxes. I assume you know this. The East Germans came back into the fold and have called the shots for awhile it seems? Obviously the cities are much safer than the US, but I doubt you are living in the slums.

Whiskey_Bravo
11-02-21, 11:34
Your chances of importing firearms in Germany is probably very low if not zero.

Honu
11-02-21, 13:48
Just go to the muslim controlled areas and you could get grenades and most other fun toys I reckon